AFLX - Day 1 - Coopers Stadium, Thu, 15th Feb 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

The format in itself was ok to watch. Last touch worked well. Just get rid of the stupid zooper s**t.

But personally I prefer full on regular rules pre-season games where the fans get to see the new recruits have a decent run out.

I only watched the final but it was better than I expected. Fast moving footy, different way of watching it with less players and more one on one contests. Short enough games to hold your interest

If you’re expecting tactics AFL competitiveness then you’re watching the wrong game.

Convinced me enough to at least record the Richmond games.

Gifted a home ground final against the cats, help from the mrp, dream run with injuries. You play a good half a season and you’re all mouthy. Let me know when you get to 16 though, in the mean time stick to MKR flog

Yeah, I agree. I mean, Richmond have ONE good season in 37 years, and they think that they are better than the rest.

A few injuries, their gameplan being found out, an away final, and soon Richmond will fall back down the ladder, where they belong.

Martin not in the same hemisphere as Fyfe or Dangerfield.

Test cricket is fun as a day to picnic and chat while seeing people doing stuff. At the game it is about chatting. On TV it is great background with, oh did you see that moments.
1day cricket was good on TV but not enough stuff happened when at the game.
20:20 Is The best spectice for watching cricket at a game.

Clearly AFLX is an attempt to emulate crickets success in the short form game.

For mine, unadulterated AFL is a great game to watch live or on TV. It is much better than any form of cricket.
AFLX fails on so many levels. There are few contests, minimal highlights, and little of interest. Watching Brad Hill run was my only interest (being a Hawk supporter). Damn he is good.

If this is what the AFL will bring to the world, few people would take an interest. I know I am bored by it.
It is good that the AFL tried something new. But please put it in the bin.

Last edited:
Test cricket is fun as a day to picnic and chat while seeing people doing stuff. At the game it is about chatting. On TV it is great background with, oh did you see that moments.
1day cricket was good on TV but not enough stuff happened when at the game.
20:20 Is The best spectice for watching cricket at a game.

Clearly AFLX is an attempt to emulate crickets success in the short form game.

For mine, unadulterated AFL is a great game to watch live or on TV. It is much better than any form of cricket.
AFLX fails on so many levels. There are few contests, minimal highlights, and little of interest. Watching Brad Hill run was my only interest (being a Hawk supporter). Damn he is good.

If this is what the AFL will bring to the world, few people would take an interest. I know I am bored by it.
It is good the the AFL tried something new. But please put it in the bin.

Maybe the uninitiated will gobble it up?

Coz it is clearly not built for the old firm

Laughing out loud in my office in Manchester. Tried to explain why this tweet was funny to the locals. They didn't get it.

I got told off for laughing my ass off at it.

But that is some seriously good satire. Hilarious on a lot of levels

And it all played out in my mind in the world of The Simpsons

I just hope that when it’s all said and done, this is how we best remember Gil’s years in charge.

Proudly standing side by side with giant cartoon football while a man in spandex sits on another mans head. A random woman and 2 children thrown in to broaden the appeal.

I got told off for laughing my ass off at it.

But that is some seriously good satire. Hilarious on a lot of levels

And it all played out in my mind in the world of The Simpsons
Without a word of a lie, I paused the TV and my young kids and I chose our favourite colour of Zooper Duper... And mock took it from the TV.
That was the best thing about the game... a novelty of advertising.

Addition: that 50 meter line is bolox.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A minor tweak to make AFLX more exciting:

In the event of a tied game, the two captains must each pilot a giant BattleMech that is emblazoned with their respective team colours. The goal posts—which are flashing with neon lights at this point (like usual)—can then be extracted from the hallowed turf by the human-operated BattleMechs. Each captain gets to use their BattleMech to dual-wield both of their goal posts like super-sized lightsabres. When the siren sounds, the two combatants then charge in with their dual-wielding BattleMechs in a fight to the death. The use of smoke machines and flame cannons is permitted, but using the DJ or his mixing deck as a weapon or shield is strictly prohibited (unless he refuses a song request for the fight, in which case all bets are off). If a winner cannot be determined after 10 minutes, both players will be forced to play out the remainder of their contract with Collingwood—a fate worse than death. If one of the captains is already a Collingwood player, they must pay the cumulative dental bill of the Collingwood cheer squad for the next five years—a punishment that will certainly lead to a hasty bankruptcy.

Any chance of us getting the light up goalposts for normal AFL? I think they’re pretty cool.

I like it as well because it's not just a novelty. It makes spectating easier. Probably best done at night time doe

A minor tweak to make AFLX more exciting:

In the event of a tied game, the two captains must each pilot a giant BattleMech that is emblazoned with their respective team colours. The goal posts—which are flashing with neon lights at this point (like usual)—can then be extracted from the hallowed turf by the human-operated BattleMechs. Each captain gets to use their BattleMech to dual-wield both of their goal posts like super-sized lightsabres. When the siren sounds, the two combatants then charge in with their dual-wielding BattleMechs in a fight to the death. The use of smoke machines and flame cannons is permitted, but using the DJ or his mixing deck as a weapon or shield is strictly prohibited (unless he refuses a song request for the fight, in which case all bets are off). If a winner cannot be determined after 10 minutes, both players will be forced to play out the remainder of their contract with Collingwood—a fate worse than death. If one of the captains is already a Collingwood player, they must pay the cumulative dental bill of the Collingwood cheer squad for the next five years—a punishment that will certainly lead to a hasty bankruptcy.
dead2.gif

I think most of the whinging has been more about the Gimmicks and over hyped commentary then the footy itself.
The game has potential but it just looks to basic and simple. I posted earlier if coaches could add tactics and planning instead of just kick, score and rebound basketball basic stuff it might look much more skillful and comprehensive. but would they? A few rule tweaks from the AFL could help too like keep a player in the arc at all times to encourage some contested footy, but it seems its only meant for kicks and giggles.
I reckon it might be more suited for the women's game or a state of origin type competition.
They should burn it with fire. What a load of s**t.

Am I the only person who found it really boring?

I just watched the replay on the AFL website (missed it live), but I found it so boring I couldn't get halfway through it.

Really boring.

(I mean that purely in an ambivalent "I probably won't watch this again unless I really have nothing to do" kind of way)

It looks fun to play, which I guess was the aim, but it's boring as hell to watch.

I just watched the replay on the AFL website (missed it live), but I found it so boring I couldn't get halfway through it.

Really boring.

(I mean that purely in an ambivalent "I probably won't watch this again unless I really have nothing to do" kind of way)

It looks fun to play, which I guess was the aim, but it's boring as hell to watch.
Adelaide were clearly treating the Grand Final as a lead up to AFL X.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back