AFLX - Day 1 - Coopers Stadium, Thu, 15th Feb 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

there's nothing wrong with positive or negative opinions and yes they are subjective. But when they are misinformed they have no relevance. It's like making a cup of coffee without sugar then complaining as to why it isn't sweet, don't need a genius to tell you why but some people will still complain and convince other simpletons that theres something wrong with the coffee.

Point stands that you can't tell people not to post their opinions no matter how much you disagree with them or how misinformed they are.

Point stands that you can't tell people not to post their opinions no matter how much you disagree with them or how misinformed they are.
fact of the matter is that misinformed comments are irrelevant, unhealthy and shouldn't be encouraged. They can post what they want but when its misinformed it is morally wrong and can be pointed out.

people like you and most others on here are the reason why we can't have nice things. It wasn't designed to take over footy, it's something different. if you hate it that bad then don't watch instead of putting out a crap opinion and stuffing it up for those who appreciate it for what it is.

if the world was as grumpy and opinionated as us aussies then indoor soccer and futsal would be an absolute outrage, abomination and disgrace to soccer. no need to be so closed minded people, enjoy things for what they are.

Ppl like me help ensure 'nice' things actually become nice by letting the AFL know they dished out a badly thought out product.
AFLX may have potential and I will always watch it because I am so footy hungry come Feb, but it definitely NEEDS to change if it is going to become anything.

My suggested changes:

The word ZOOPER needs to F right off. And also go easy on the advertising on the ground.

A few more players on ground (9 or 10) to create more tackles, bumps, smothers, small packs which high flyers can mark on top of - you know all the things that actually make AFL the best sport in the world, the things we actually want to be showing off to the world.

Maybe make it that you have to kick the goal from inside the 40, was boring watching players run it unhindered and potshot it nonstop as if it was something rare or special.

If they are so convinced in how dynamic and exciting the game is then stop doing interviews and shrinking the viewing window for a quarter of the match.

Find a better ground before showing it on national TV.

Get rid of the royal show broadcaster in the background, amateur hour.

If this is designed to have international appeal then BT can F right off too - let's keep the cringeworthy aussie our own dirty secret.

Last edited:
Ppl like me help ensure 'nice' things actually become nice by letting the AFL know they dished out a badly thought out product.
AFLX may have potentialp and I will always watch it because I am sonfooty hungry come Feb, but it definitely NEEDS to change if it is going to become anything.

My suggested changes:

The word ZOOPER needs to F right off. And also goneasy on the advertising on the ground.

A few more players on ground (9 or 10) to create more tackles, bumps, smothers, small packs which high fliers can mark on top of - you know all the things that actually make AFL the best sport in the world, the things we actually want to be showing off to the world.

Maybe make it that you have to kick the goal from inside the 40, was boring watching players run it unhindered and potshot it nonstop as if it was something rare or special.

If they are so convinced in how dynamic and exciting the game is then stop doing interviews and shrinking the viewing window for a quarter of the match.

If this is designed to have international appeal then BT can F right off too - let's keep the cringeworthy aussie our own dirty secret.
That is fair constructive criticism and I agree with a lot of it. Just don't agree with people dissing it completely as a concept because they can't accept a new form of the game. Bring ideas to make it better, not try and scrap it

The idea obviously came from 20:20. But here's the thing:

An AFL game doesn't take 5 days.

It doesn't even take 1 day-or night for that matter.

The lulls in an AFL game don't last several overs. No-one- not even the millenials- have that small an attention span.

In short, there is no reason for this stupid idea to exist.

Spare the me the "rectangular international game" nonsense. As if someone in China or Europe will think: "Look, rectangular pitch-gee this game must be good, I now need to go watch AND play the full field game".

More manufactured, corporatised garbage for us customers to consume.

Aww poor thing.

Show me on the doll where Jack Dyer touched you

2472-small.jpg

I've actually spoken to Jack Dyer!

I called the radio "3KZ is football" and went onto the talkback on "The Captain & The Major" in 1989, and spoke to Jack Dyer and Ian Major (Great radio show, and I wish footy commentary teams were more like this these days, with no egos), and told them that there should be extra time in finals games, and won the prize for the best talkback topic. I got a sportsbag and a footy.

So, I don't have a problem with Jack Dyer. I have a problem with Richmond dimwit supporters who act arrogant about a team who had nothing for 36 years and then fluked a flag.

One flag doesn't make up for your team being a laughing stock for your past crap recruiting in the last 30 years (e.g. Anthony Banik, Richard Lounder, Richard Tambling etc).

I hate Richmond as much as the next person, and I agree with most of your post, but pretty harsh on Dusty. I don't like him as a person, but as a footballer, he's bloody good to watch and well and truly in the same ballpark as those two.

They've done it longer, and have more runs on the board.

Let's see Dusty finishing top three in a few more Brownlow counts and making a few more AA teams first, like Fyfe, Dangerfield, Joel Selwood, and even Gary Ablett jr.

Also, he has to stay away from chopsticks.

I just love that this thread is literally nothing to do with Richmond or the GF or anything... and yet salty Geelong campaigners just can’t get over us. I love it.

If we could go back to back, I would be happy with us missing the finals for the rest of my life. I’d love to see all the “Worst Back-to-Back” threads and see everyone try to explain how we don’t deserve either of our flags.

That would make my life complete.

Then you'll be waiting a long time, as I don't see Richmond winning another flag in most of our lifetimes.

The idea obviously came from 20:20. But here's the thing:

An AFL game doesn't take 5 days.

It doesn't even take 1 day-or night for that matter.

The lulls in an AFL game don't last several overs. No-one- not even the millenials- have that small an attention span.

In short, there is no reason for this stupid idea to exist.

Spare the me the "rectangular international game" nonsense. As if someone in China or Europe will think: "Look, rectangular pitch-gee this game must be good, I now need to go watch AND play the full field game".

More manufactured, corporatised garbage for us customers to consume.

James Brayshaw made a good point about the naysayers to AFLX.

He said that we would still be going along on horse and carts if Henry Ford hadn't come along.

What he means is, every single innovation on earth has had naysayers say that it would never work. Henry Ford probably got laughed at with his idea of having a motorised vehicle that moves people to move along at fast speeds. He probably got someone like you, who wants to see someone fail, because of your own lack of imagination.

If everyone took your attitude, we would still be living in the stone age. I hope AFLX does take off, and be a huge success, just to spite you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFLX may have potential and I will always watch it because I am so footy hungry come Feb, but it definitely NEEDS to change if it is going to become anything.

My suggested changes:

The word ZOOPER needs to F right off. And also go easy on the advertising on the ground.

A few more players on ground (9 or 10) to create more tackles, bumps, smothers, small packs which high flyers can mark on top of - you know all the things that actually make AFL the best sport in the world, the things we actually want to be showing off to the world.

I agree with most of your opinions.

A criticism I have is that it is too easy to score a "Zooper Goal". In JLT Series, niners are few and far between, but they said tonight that there have been 51 Zoopers (and it is only night 2).

A goal worth ten points needs to be "earnt" more.

Also, get a better trophy next season, instead of one someone made in metalwork class.

James Brayshaw made a good point about the naysayers to AFLX.

He said that we would still be going along on horse and carts if Henry Ford hadn't come along.

What he means is, every single innovation on earth has had naysayers say that it would never work. Henry Ford probably got laughed at with his idea of having a motorised vehicle that moves people to move along at fast speeds. He probably got someone like you, who wants to see someone fail, because of your own lack of imagination.

If everyone took your attitude, we would still be living in the stone age. I hope AFLX does take off, and be a huge success, just to spite you.

Firstly Karl Benz invented the car, 18 years before Henry Ford. Ford succeeded in mass production to make it affordable- as he said "They come in every color as long as its black". That's how dumb Brayshaw is. I don't know how dumb that makes someone who agrees with Brayshaw.

And comparing the invention of the motor car to AFLX? Really? Shakes head...

Blues fans living off past glories

23 years since your last (cheated) flag . Your club is irrelevant and a laughing stock. Let me know when you become semi relevant again
Breached the cap 2000-2001, not 95. Don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story though

Firstly Karl Benz invented the car, 18 years before Henry Ford. Ford succeeded in mass production to make it affordable- as he said "They come in every color as long as its black". That's how dumb Brayshaw is. I don't know how dumb that makes someone who agrees with Brayshaw.

And comparing the invention of the motor car to AFLX? Really? Shakes head...

Whatever. I means that we wouldn't have modern civilization if dreamkillers like you were actually listened to.

Thankfully, your words have no currency, so AFLX will go on, despite your sooking.

Maybe the uninitiated will gobble it up?

Coz it is clearly not built for the old firm
These were my initial thoughts. Touch free footy.
But a few contests happened in AFLX 2. Still no opportunity for great contested marks but at least something near what makes our game great.

I recently went to an A league game with my brother in law. I know little of the sport as a spectacle (I played it as a youth but gave up as kids kept kicking me in the shins). What I saw was this: soccer is based on defence and then opportunity in attack. It is a game of risk and reward. Teams that don't risk can never get a reward.

That is the way I see AFLX. Soccer with hands and a no kick backwards mark rule.

On this basis it might work.

It will work well with kids and their parents.

Hmmmm... I see it can work in schools and overseas.
But I still dislike what I have seen

I've actually spoken to Jack Dyer!

I called the radio "3KZ is football" and went onto the talkback on "The Captain & The Major" in 1989, and spoke to Jack Dyer and Ian Major (Great radio show, and I wish footy commentary teams were more like this these days, with no egos), and told them that there should be extra time in finals games, and won the prize for the best talkback topic. I got a sportsbag and a footy.

So, I don't have a problem with Jack Dyer. I have a problem with Richmond dimwit supporters who act arrogant about a team who had nothing for 36 years and then fluked a flag.

One flag doesn't make up for your team being a laughing stock for your past crap recruiting in the last 30 years (e.g. Anthony Banik, Richard Lounder, Richard Tambling etc).

We didn’t fluke a flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back