Traded Aliir Aliir [traded to Port Adelaide for 2021 R2 pick]

Who won this trade?

• Sydney

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

As posted above, if you look at our list it certainly isn't out of the question...
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/tp-sydney-swans?sby=13&year=2020

Not saying its definitely right either, as he got a 3 year deal in 2018, and not sure he would have warranted it then (despite it being after a run of very good form from him)
I'm guessing with Buddy's contract the next 8-9 highest paid players wouldn't be that high anyway? Unless the back of the list are basically all on draftee contracts.

I think it's also based on the highest guaranteed salary in a given year, so if his salary is structured to be more in one year than others then that could be a thing too.

In any case it wouldn't be the first time footywire got something wrong so yeah.

I'm guessing with Buddy's contract the next 8-9 highest paid players wouldn't be that high anyway? Unless the back of the list are basically all on draftee contracts.

I think it's also based on the highest guaranteed salary in a given year, so if his salary is structured to be more in one year than others then that could be a thing too.

In any case it wouldn't be the first time footywire got something wrong so yeah.
Based on reports from the time Buddy is on 1.4m this year, you can comfortably lock our next 7 highest paid players, but 9th and 10th highest paid are likely in the 400-500k range so if aliir had a back ended deal could be in top 10

Based on reports from the time Buddy is on 1.4m this year, you can comfortably lock our next 7 highest paid players, but 9th and 10th highest paid are likely in the 400-500k range so if aliir had a back ended deal could be in top 10
fwiw he's not listed here, which is probably more accurate:

The AFL releases information about RFAs twice a year, at the start of the year and at the end of the year, so the article would be from that.

fwiw he's not listed here, which is probably more accurate:

The AFL releases information about RFAs twice a year, at the start of the year and at the end of the year, so the article would be from that.

That's the 2020 list though, Aliir is contracted until 2021. He wouldn't be on that list anyway. FootyWire classifies people as RFA based on length of time only from what I can tell. It doesn't seem to consider the amount a player is paid, so there's obviously a flaw in their system, but he is definitely contracted until 2021. The Swans announced a 3 year extension at the end of 2018.

Couldn't we trade pick 39 though which helps with points for you, we don't really need (as can still match a bid on Jones) and then you aren't getting the small like Farrell, Bonner etc that you wouldn't want anyway?

I would think that suits both clubs.
Major concern is what will pick 39 end up being? Pick 50 or more, definitely not worth trading.

That's the 2020 list though, Aliir is contracted until 2021. He wouldn't be on that list anyway. FootyWire classifies people as RFA based on length of time only from what I can tell. It doesn't seem to consider the amount a player is paid, so there's obviously a flaw in their system, but he is definitely contracted until 2021. The Swans announced a 3 year extension at the end of 2018.
Yeah, I need to stop multitasking and read things properly before posting them šŸ˜› There are definitely issues with the RFA/UFA stuff on that site though.

Quality bigfooty haggling. Player for player trades virtually never happen and from a Port perspective Lachie Jones is certain to receive a bid long before any of our draft picks so it makes almost no difference which is offered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love the AFL.com article last sentence (port wonā€™t trade any rucks).

he is contracted so zero reason for us to do it for pick 50.

should Offer Hayes and ladhams $$$$ surely one will come for the opportunity

I think Sydney need to remember we gave them Sammy Gray for free who got a 2yr contract lol I also don't see why Sydney let him go cheap hope I'm wrong but his contracted.

Quality bigfooty haggling. Player for player trades virtually never happen and from a Port perspective Lachie Jones is certain to receive a bid long before any of our draft picks so it makes almost no difference which is offered.
Crows may bid on Jones around pick 10 as he's a local, that's a big back of points needed.

Doubt Port will be able to extract a required contracted player without paying overs

I think Sydney need to remember we gave them Sammy Gray for free who got a 2yr contract lol I also don't see why Sydney let him go cheap hope I'm wrong but his contracted.
I think port need to realise he's contracted and needed. Sam Gray was offered one year and was uncontracted

I still canā€™t believe we gave grey 2 years.....

I think this will fizzle out:
he is absolutely a best 22 swans player
Swans want a ruck
All 3 port rucks are untouchable
neither can give up points.

easy to walk away.

Joel Hamling/Hayden Crozier sort of value so 35-40 imo. But he is contracted so the swans are within their rights to ask for more.

Crows may bid on Jones around pick 10 as he's a local, that's a big back of points needed.

Doubt Port will be able to extract a required contracted player without paying overs
We are stacked for points with 3x 2nd and 2x 3rd round picks. Even if there is a bid at pick 10 we can comfortably match after giving up pick 26.

Iā€™d like aliir at the suns.
Better than hombsch and Burgess who we had as back ups.
Definitely need a bit more experience down there. Weā€™re screwed if collins goes down.
Id give up 24 and 36 this year for aliir and Sydneyā€™s 2021 second.
or just 36 this year if thatā€™s preferable.

Back