Australia v New Zealand 1st Test at Perth December 12-16

Remove this Banner Ad

Another thing... I used to not mind Tim Lane on ch10 for the footy or on radio but I feel he has been "channel 7'd" he is all weird now. I guess when he's commentating footy theres less time to rabbit on.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
As a motor racing fan. When he brought up that Kane Williamson and Roger Federer shared a birthday ( August 8th) I was a little disappointed he didn't bring up Nigel Mansell.

I feel like when I was younger teams would jump at the chance to put teams back in. Almost to rub their nose in it.

Now its all about player management and teams who dont make the follow on score are rarely put back in.

Makes sense.

The follow on is about time remaining in the game. It makes no sense to enforce a follow on if there's plenty of time left in the match for the opposition to re-group and make a big score in the 3rd innings. Follow-ons are for when you are starting to run out of time. Classic case scenario Calcutta 2000-01. Australia made 445 then bowl India out for 171. A 274 run lead but with over 3 days to play. India through Dravid and Laxman make 7/657 in their 2nd Innings leaving Australia to make 384 in the 4th innings. India turned a 274 deficit into a 171 run win. Never give a mug an even break.

Nice balanced reply but I have to disagree.

Like a lot on here, I don't dislike Paine.
I think he's done a reasonable job under difficult circumstances.
I was replying to a poster who keeps saying Paine is one of our greatest
captains which of course he isn't.

You say his only blemish.
The wasted review in the 4th test cost us the match.
But his electing to bowl after winning the toss was unforgivable IMO.

Fair points and of course you mean the 3rd Ashes test which was the final match of umpire Joel (Stevie Wonder) Wilson's career.
The same test where a teams 10th wicket stand was higher than their total 1st innings score, which has never happened before in test cricket and probably won't again - and also resulted with Eng recording it's highest ever run chase in test cricket.
While Paine accepted the blame (as he should) for the outcome there were 3 or 4 other players that could of easily prevented this from happening...

Yep, his decision to bowl first in the 5th test was a strange one, but I could also list a few past Aus captains that have done the same.

One final note, if you've played enough cricket at a decent level and/or been fortunate to captain at that level you'll know it's a fairly thankless task,
where far more can go wrong and often does than right..

Wow, just saw yesterday’s wickets, as predicted the Kiwis fall to pieces in Australia, only Hazlewoods was a good ball, the other 4 were pies which the batsmen threw their wickets away
It's been a while since the kiwis faced quality bowling like that. The extra pressure forced the bad shots

You aren't that good, it hasn't been a fair contest so far with NZ bowling for a couple of days in mostly daylight and 40 degree heat while Australia have only bowled in twilight or under lights which are the best conditions for bowling. We'll see just how good Australia is in the first couple of sessions today.

Yep good analysis.

I mean, look how well your lot did with the new pill under lights on Day 1.

Would we enforce the follow on if we got the last 5 wickets quickly or go out and get a 500+ lead and rest bowlers?

Given the excessive heat, with one bowler down and the fact this pitch will be a nightmare to bat on last - and even if Aus skittle NZ for around 150 early today, I seriously doubt a follow-on will be enforced....

Was definitely tougher for batting then, Wade bowled by a big inswinger while Head was lucky to survive with the ball beating his bat repeatedly.

Pretty obvious from watching any D/N test in recent years that batting is tougher under lights than in daylight.

Maybe, maybe not.

Your lot hooped the ball ( Both of them ) around and spun it for the entirety of our innings, both day and night.

And we still made 400.

To paraphrase you, let's see how your lot bat today.

Although it's gotta be tough batting all day in that heat. Oh wait...............

I wouldn't trust hot spot but does it look like the ball changes trajectory slightly after it passes the bat?
Maybe? If it does deviate it's extremely slight. The more you look at it the more your eyes play tricks on you.

These days they never would spent so much time on the decision. It would be given not out almost immediately based on no Snicko.

Maybe? If it does deviate it's extremely slight. The more you look at it the more your eyes play tricks on you.

These days they never would spent so much time on the decision. It would be given not out almost immediately based on no Snicko.
Yeah Llong is a muppet but not what he was supposed to do there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where does the hotspot on Lyon's bat come from? It seems to appear at the same time that the ball passes the bat which would indicate an edge.
We don't know. There's no angle that shows a spot conclusively the moment after the ball passes the bat.

Did lol at the LBW check on the completely wrong ball though, which just pours gasoline on fire.

Cricket 360 post match show.

Just a quick observation of what is a very good segment summarizing the days play and current match situation mainly because Craddock is everything Slobbo is not on AFL 360 - that being articulate, knowledgeable and impartial.

I also think Wheatley has much better rapport with someone like Craddock than Slobbo who often looks like he either needs another drink or someone should call him a taxi.

Ill take your word for it. Im not moving. Presidents Cup then cricket and Uber Eats making frequent drop offs.
Gonna have to make a run to the bottlo for provisions before play starts. Not looking forward to it!

Bugger going down to the stadium again today

Yep, his decision to bowl first in the 5th test was a strange one, but I could also list a few past Aus captains that have done the same.
I heard that Paine decided to bowl after Smith and Warner convinced him to bowl. If true, then this is just another reason for Smith to not be made Captain when his leadership ban ends. Mind you, Paine should have batted anyway and not been convinced to go against his initial instincts.

Nice balanced reply but I have to disagree.

Like a lot on here, I don't dislike Paine.
I think he's done a reasonable job under difficult circumstances.
I was replying to a poster who keeps saying Paine is one of our greatest
captains which of course he isn't.

You say his only blemish.
The wasted review in the 4th test cost us the match.
But his electing to bowl after winning the toss was unforgivable IMO.

Yes, I think calling him a great captain really is stretching the imagination too far. Like you, I don't dislike him. He's done a reasonable job as caretaker captain, his keeping is good enough, at times he looks a little out of his depth as a batsman but he gets by. I just think he's tactically poor. As has been discussed many times he's very poor with DRS, and he doesn't attack enough with field placements for my liking. There have been times where Australia are in a commanding position and he's still protecting boundaries rather than shooting for wickets. When a bowler is on a hat-trick, or bowling to a new batsman in general, he should have fielders clustered around the bat and encouraging the batsmen to try and hit into the deep, but he never does this. I don't think he's a natural captain by any stretch. Gets a pass mark from me, but could do better.

Yes, I think calling him a great captain really is stretching the imagination too far. Like you, I don't dislike him. He's done a reasonable job as caretaker captain, his keeping is good enough, at times he looks a little out of his depth as a batsman but he gets by. I just think he's tactically poor. As has been discussed many times he's very poor with DRS, and he doesn't attack enough with field placements for my liking. There have been times where Australia are in a commanding position and he's still protecting boundaries rather than shooting for wickets. When a bowler is on a hat-trick, or bowling to a new batsman in general, he should have fielders clustered around the bat and encouraging the batsmen to try and hit into the deep, but he never does this. I don't think he's a natural captain by any stretch. Gets a pass mark from me, but could do better.

Respect your opinion but C'mon, not calling him a 'natural captain' given he was skipper of his state as a 14yo is a far bigger stretch of anyone's imagination than calling him a 'great captain'....

Cricket 360 post match show.

Just a quick observation of what is a very good segment summarizing the days play and current match situation mainly because Craddock is everything Slobbo is not on AFL 360 - that being articulate, knowledgeable and impartial.

I also think Wheatley has much better rapport with someone like Craddock than Slobbo who often looks like he either needs another drink or someone should call him a taxi.
Saw it last night. Whatley just looks super excited to be a part of it all lol.

Already 40 degrees, feels like it could be even hotter than the last couple of days, watching on tv from the comfort of your airconditioned loungeroom you forget just how hot it is out there. Would be tough enough just fielding let alone bowling or batting in a helmet and protective gear.

I can't remember a more brutal heatwave in Perth especially in December where it's usually cooler than January and February.
Just be careful salting it up tonight in this heat. That salt will feel like sand in your mouth

You aren't that good, it hasn't been a fair contest so far with NZ bowling for a couple of days in mostly daylight and 40 degree heat while Australia have only bowled in twilight or under lights which are the best conditions for bowling. We'll see just how good Australia is in the first couple of sessions today.

I get that the conditions change between sessions within a day. But isn't that the same as how it is in tests in England..Only that the pattern of conditions and their change is predictable in day night tests whereas it's a lot more unpredictable as it's at the mercy of the volatile weather of England.

I remember some tests in England which started out with dark gloomy weather with the drizzle of rain in the air and the next day you have perfect sunshine. And yet we all enjoy test cricket in England as it's a lot more bowling friendly. I guess the pink ball tests are about recreating english like conditions atleast for a session in each day of a test.

CDG and Santner still to bat. NZ not out of this.

Hazlewood out and Lyon getting murdered by Taylor.

This means Cummins and Starc have to pick up the slack in 40 degree heat.

All comes down to Taylor vs Lyon and if Taylor wins that battle, Australia to lose yet another unloseable match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back