Review Autopsy vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

This rule infuriates me. I was livid last night. Takes the appetite for the contest away and gives a squib a free kick
It looks to me like it has encouraged unwanted behaviors too. Not only don't players go in for the ground ball, if they see an opponent looking to do that they stand in his path and wait for the contact so they can draw a free despite being second to the ball. It's a bit like players ducking their head into danger's way to get a free kick (until they changed the interpretation on that).

Probably development of a new style of play is required, with some sort of "keepings-off" tactic to avoid bombing kicking long to a contest. Don't have to always be running and hand passing. Using foot you can slow the game, and keep possession.
Agree. I just don't know if we have the player with god enough foot skills.

Other than Bont, daniel, McLean and Biggs, our foot skills are poor

So tiresome watching people melt down over these results - not talking about this thread either, just the childish crap all over social media and at games.

Really thought a premiership might instil some perspective in our supporters when things took a turn for the worse. I was wrong

Send the forward line to goal kicking school. This is a problem throughout the AFL.. Nearly half the games every week would be the opposite result if teams could kick straight. Look at your clearances last night.. 42 - 21. It's insane that you lost by nearly 60 points with numbers like that. With those clearance numbers you should have either won or lost by a small margin. not a 10 goal blow out.
Goalkicking is an issue, but our midfield isn't working hard defensively anymore to trap the ball in our forward half, or run hard backwards to help the defence out.

We get slaughtered time and time again out the back, last year our midfield made life tough for other teams to get a kick which in turn helped our backline out as it was able to be organised and we had regular numbers back to help win the ball back, now we cop clean entries and they score all the time because we are undersized down back with barely any midfield protection. We also get scored on from stoppages regularly also which is disappointing.

Defensively we are s**t now in all areas of the ground, but imo our midfield is the biggest issue.

I don't know what I have missed here, but I think Bevridge questioning the players hunger is off the mark... 42 clearances to 21 the Dogs way, 3 more inside 50's.. this is pretty hungry to me. The big let down was the forward and back line. I've had enough of AFL for this year to the point where I don't even enjoy watching it anymore. 16.8 to 5.15 was the deciding factor of this game... which is the same story week in week out with at least half the games played every week.

I do not understand what has happened to goal kicking in this league. Port Adelaide, Essendon, North Melbourne all kicked themselves out of games last week, St Kilda nearly lost because of it and Carlton almost won thanks to straight kicking for goal. Nearly every game now seems to be decided on who kicks the straightest - this is basic logic... kick goals you win. But it's gone to the extreme this year, with teams either kicking 12.5 and winning games even though they hardly touch the ball or going 5.15 where they dominate play but just can't kick goal to save themselves. I just find it beyond comprehension that the most basic factor of winning a game is abused like this. My team has done the same crap all year, and we sit down the bottom of the ladder even though most games we have played well in. The Dogs are in the same position.. great midfield and most weeks your backline is good, but forwards letting you down. It just makes me sick to the stomach when people getting paid over 500k per year miss multiple set shots at goal from 30 metres out

Excellent post. We've been whacking our players about it ( deservedly) but I too have noticed inaccuracy has got to plague proportions right across the AFL.

Adelaide is the biggest downhill team running around.
I'd say Port are when you look at it statistically

Adelaide can beat decent teams at home, but their game style imo won't stand up in finals, relying too heavily on Sloane, the Crouch's and probably a Greenwood to do the heavy lifting for them. They'll probably get to a semi or prelim, but can they win a prelim playing that way? Not sure they can.

I'd say Port are when you look at it statistically

Adelaide can beat decent teams at home, but their game style imo won't stand up in finals, relying too heavily on Sloane, the Crouch's and probably a Greenwood to do the heavy lifting for them.
Port at least goes hard at it. Adelaide is so soft.

Port at least goes hard at it. Adelaide is so soft.
Port hasn't beaten a top 8 side yet apparently this year

They're relying heavily on an easy draw to make the 8 imo, look at some of their wins, Carlton, Brisbane twice, you lot, Gold Coast, Collingwood, Fremantle etc, they were all by at least 5-6 goals too.

They were rolled by West Coast and Richmond at home, GWS, Geelong and Essendon away. They were unlucky against Geelong, but they weren't good enough against everyone else. Perhaps their R1 win against Sydney at the SCG was their best win of the year still and Sydney wasn't in great form then.

That being said, we play them in R22, they'll probably beat us and make the 8 based off that win as their percentage is massive.

A sensible, level headed Tigers supporter, I'm impressed. Ha ha.

Seriously, our expectations are now through the roof and that's what happens when you win a flag. It's the old potato chip slogan 'you can't stop at just one'.

Good luck to the Tiges, we all pretend to dislike them, but there is a buzz when they're up and about.
It's funny how fast the footy community divides when teams that don't win finally have their day isn't it? I can't believe all the anti Bulldogs sentiment after last year.

For mine, the bar was set much, much lower than winning a flag when Richmond were hailed as the worst 5-0 team in history after Round 5 this year!!!! Round bloody five!!! This vitriol poured out over a team that has never won a flag in the AFL era and has almost never won a final in that same time.

Take the 2016 premiership Doggies supporters, shove it in the faces of the moaners and misery makers because no one can take back what was achieved and it was one of the best premierships won for a long, long time. You don't need to prove anything, if winning the flag isn't proof enough. Adelaide fans can go crazy over their own interpretations from last night but when does anybody ever constantly remember and talk up a great home and away win by the Bulldogs back in 1998 when the Crows last won a flag?? No one will remember last night's result when history flattens out.

Righto, I'm starting to crap on too much and I need to save some for tonight's potential melts.

Last edited:
I can't believe people want stringer gone. Yes his form hasn't been the greatest but for most of 2016 he played well and did end up kicking 40+ goals. His form dipped when he and his misses broke up and this yr with the JJ BS.

He will come good. Once he has some help in the forward line he will be even better. We are missing Crameri/Dunkley. They are good at making long leads and drawing a defender from outside 50 which gave Stringer more room. Also think we need another tall down there.

So tiresome watching people melt down over these results - not talking about this thread either, just the childish crap all over social media and at games.

Really thought a premiership might instil some perspective in our supporters when things took a turn for the worse. I was wrong
Where's the passion, Ozil? Nothing wrong with a good old fashioned melt!

We obviously have very different perspective and expectations. What I'm really starting to find so tiresome are the posts of GF highlights or Bont holding the premiership cup aloft as a smug response to criticism of each pissweak performance we see from the club in 2017. It was fine until about the bye but it's starting to wear thin with me as we perform worse each successive week.

Yes, I have a life and I don't lie awake at night worrying about these things ... but I do care and I want us to stop the slide back into mediocrity which is where we spent most of the previous 62 years.

Having the 2016 flag wagging at VUWO is a great thing and eases the anguish a little but does that mean we should stop being passionate about wanting the best from our side each week? Or for venting our concern when they play unwatchable footy then get rolled once again?

If you don't want to see those passionate responses to our losses and the discussions of how it's come to this so quickly and how it might be fixed, then it might be best not to log on to BF*. I mean, what did you come here expecting to read ... more backslapping for the heroes of 2016?

* Unless you're talking mainly about FB and Twitter, which I don't do ...

Where's the passion, Ozil? Nothing wrong with a good old fashioned melt!

We obviously have very different perspective and expectations. What I'm really starting to find so tiresome are the posts of GF highlights or Bont holding the premiership cup aloft as a smug response to criticism of each pissweak performance we see from the club in 2017. It was fine until about the bye but it's starting to wear thin with me as we perform worse each successive week.

Yes, I have a life and I don't lie awake at night worrying about these things ... but I do care and I want us to stop the slide back into mediocrity which is where we spent most of the previous 62 years.

Having the 2016 flag wagging at VUWO is a great thing and eases the anguish a little but does that mean we should stop being passionate about wanting the best from our side each week? Or for venting our concern when they play unwatchable footy then get rolled once again?

If you don't want to see those passionate responses to our losses and the discussions of how it's come to this so quickly and how it might be fixed, then it might be best not to log on to BF*. I mean, what did you come here expecting to read ... more backslapping for the heroes of 2016?

* Unless you're talking mainly about FB and Twitter, which I don't do ...
Think Ozil specifically said he wanted some perspective. To me it means not disparaging our 2016 win as a "fluke", personally attacking players and coaches, trading everything but the bootstudder and the downright whinging I've been witnessing.
By all means have sober discussion but reading across social media (yes that includes BF) you'd think we came off a run similar to Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we forget that the majority of this group have been "up" for the two years before this season. Coming from the depths at the end of the 2014 season, 2015 was a huge year for us too. Might have taken it's toll as well as last year.

5f2ebab0ec9989b1f19c66fabdf97c6d.jpg

Had some sweet Jesus toast this morning

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The way people are carrying on

Yes I know the performances are average
But have some faith and appreciation for the players that won us our 2nd premiership in 62 years.

These players don't deserve the s**t they have been copping. They all Deserve respect

We will be back
Appreciation? Absolutely. I'll be eternally grateful for what they achieved.

Faith? Well, footy is about as close as I get to religion so I guess asking for faith is not out of order. It's certainly hard to maintain the faith in near term success based on what we've been watching recently. And that's where it's important for us to analyse and try to understand why we're playing badly. Is it due to injuries? disruption of the coaching roles? internal frictions? poor coaching? something else perhaps? So let's not shy from it - let's have that discussion.

Respect? Absolutely. I had something to say about that mid-week in another thread, but that doesn't mean players and coaches are exempt from reasonable and constructive criticism.

You may have a different view JDogg, but mine is that if we want this club to excel and to stay at the top it needs to be accountable week by week and year by year. No free pass from me, even if it did do amazing things to win a flag in 2016. That was then. This is now.

I think Gordon, Beveridge and most of the playing staff would hold the same view.

I remain upbeat about 2018 but each successive week it looks like we'll be coming from further back than I thought. It's quite disturbing after all that we witnessed last September and October.

It's funny how fast the footy community divides when teams that don't win finally have their day isn't it? I can't believe all the anti Bulldogs sentiment after last year.

For mine, the bar was set much, much lower than winning a flag when Richmond were hailed as the worst 5-0 team in history after Round 5 this year!!!! Round bloody five!!! This vitriol poured out over a team that has never won a flag in the AFL era and has almost never won a final in that same time.

Take the 2016 premiership Doggies supporters, shove it in the faces of the moaners and misery makers because no one can take back what was achieved and it was one of the best premierships won for a long, long time. You don't need to prove anything, if winning the flag isn't proof enough. Adelaide fans can go crazy over their own interpretations from last night but when does anybody ever constantly remember and talk up a great home and away win by the Bulldogs back in 1998 when the Crows last won a flag?? No one will remember last night's result when history flattens out.

Righto, I'm starting to crap on too much and I need to save some for tonight's potential melts.
Good luck in the finals. I will be cheering the yellow and blacks on.

Despite saying they wouldn't all week, adelaide flogs are all over the "fluked a premiership" crap and "that's what happens when your players are banging each other's partners". Pathetic
Relax,all the premiers cop the silly comments from sad people,Brisbane Sydney and Hawthorn all have people making up excuses why they won, it's not the football community,it's the Internet community.
And we're no angels,we annoy opposition supporters as well. Essendon,GWS and Hawthorn supporters have far more to complain about than us and we contribute to that,who cares what opposition supporters think.

We're out of form because we've lost some drive because of a premiership hangover. Not ideal but also not a great shock considering the age of our list. Our lost form now means we've lost confidence and are probably a little confused because of our youth.

More inside 50s yet still thrashed
1 goal in a half
5 goals in a game
Boyd getting a game ahead of Williams

Pathetic

Enough of the finals talk and all this rubbish that the Dogs are just about to make their run and opposition teams better watch it. Lets put a line through this season. We are not the first team to f*** up a year after a flag and we wont be the last.

Here is what the club should do.

Sign JJ, if he continues to stall trade him, bank the money go after Lever or Kelly
Fairwell games for Boyd and Murphy
Give Webb and Williams more goes in the seniors
Give Collins and Lipinski some senior games
Tell Bevo to shut up and not get into any media debates about umpiring etc. Concentrate on developing a winning gameplan
Find out from Libba if he really wants to play footy or does he want to hang out with his loser mates and potentially end his career.
You could probably just ask Libba if he wants to play footy or hang out with his mates and leave calling them names out of it. You could suggest there's room for both and discuss balance.
Have you got inside mail they're losers? Pretty harsh. They might just not be footyheads. I'm sure his mates are good blokes when all is said and done.

but mine is that if we want this club to excel and to stay at the top it needs to be accountable week by week and year by year. No free pass from me, even if it did do amazing things to win a flag in 2016. That was then. This is now

i understand that, and me too
i want us to have a dynasty, but this is professional sport and its very hard
you take the good with the bad

im willing to let this season slide and reset for 2018. Hope this season is like 2007

ill be angry if the club dont hit the trade table

however the premiership players deserve respect and don’t deserve to be dropped so easily.

My biggest fear is that during our year out this year, we have lost ground on sides such as gws and sydney. To a lesser extent I'd also put Melbourne and Carlton in there as well.
We have almost all the cattle for another push, just missing key players in positions, not to mention our coaching has killed us.

You could probably just ask Libba if he wants to play footy or hang out with his mates and leave calling them names out of it. You could suggest there's room for both and discuss balance.
Have you got inside mail they're losers? Pretty harsh. They might just not be footyheads. I'm sure his mates are good blokes when all is said and done.
I could ask the same thing. Do you have inside mail that they are good blokes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back