Remove this Banner Ad

Gardiner Andrews Robertson
Mayes McStay Witherden

Rich Rockliff Christensen

Taylor Hipwood Robinson
Hipwood Skinner McCluggage

Foll: Martin, Beams, Zorko

INT: Lester, Berry, Bastinac, Cutler

FWIW, no I haven't yet been able to clone Hipwood.

Schache moves to CHF.

Back: Gardiner Andrews Mayes
HB: Rich McStay Witherden
Cent: McCluggage Beams Lester
HF: Taylor Schache Bastinac
FF: Hipwood Walker Christensen
Foll: Martin Rockliff Zorko
Bench: Berry, Robinson, Robertson, Cutler

Gonna be interesting next season.

There is far more upside to Skinner than Gardiner for that third tall role.

There is far more upside to Skinner than Gardiner for that third tall role.
Think McStay is better suited for that third tall role. Skinner in time will be alongside Andrews as the twin pillars we can build our defence around. Still lacking a true shut down small defender that can rebound IMO.

More of a 2020 team... included Cameron as it seems it's pretty much almost OTL.

Robertson Skinner McStay
Mayes Andrews Rich

Witherden Beams Cutler

Taylor Schache McCluggage
Cameron Hipwood Ballenden

Oscar/Smith Berry Rocky Zorko

Bundy Robinson Cox (top draft pick)

Gardiner Andrews Robertson
Mayes McStay Witherden

Rich Rockliff Christensen

Taylor Hipwood Robinson
Hipwood Skinner McCluggage

Foll: Martin, Beams, Zorko

INT: Lester, Berry, Bastinac, Cutler
Looks about right. I'd love Cox to find a spot in there somewhere,but I don't know who comes out. Hopefully Keays can eventually cement a spot in there too. Might be a battle between him and the likes of Lester and Bastinac next year.

I'd probably like a smaller, 2 tall forward line of Schache and Hipwood,with Skinner becoming one of the 2 key talls in defence and McStay floating as the 3rd across halfback.

I think the base skeleton of the rebuild is now in place and we just need time and some midfield class and speed and small forwards.

Plenty of our current squad could play in our next finals team. It really is a matter of good development and patience.

I can comfortably find 30 players now who, in the right circumstances, would be legitimate candidates for best 22. Last year I think we could manage 25 in a good week.

Looks about right. I'd love Cox to find a spot in there somewhere,but I don't know who comes out. Hopefully Keays can eventually cement a spot in there too. Might be a battle between him and the likes of Lester and Bastinac next year.

I'd probably like a smaller, 2 tall forward line of Schache and Hipwood,with Skinner becoming one of the 2 key talls in defence and McStay floating as the 3rd across halfback.

Cox is someone I'd certainly be making space for. Will have to look at that.

If we do that, Gardiner probably comes out for mine and Cox would come in.

I'm happy not to include Skinner in "best 22" conversations just yet. It would be great to see him in there come round 1 next year but I think we've realistically got more proven options who have played consistent footy at senior level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Andrews, McStay, Skinner
Mayes, Rich, Witherden
Berry, Beams, McCluggage
Taylor, Christensen, Cameron
Schache, Hipwood, Smith
Martin/McInerney, Rockliff, Zorko
Int: Cox, Robinson, Robertson, Lester

We need a contested ball winner who can burst from stoppages as well as outside pace and class with ball in hand. Would be rapt with Paddy Dow filling the former and whoever Conole sees as the best fit for us at Ports pick, either Lochie O'Brien, Jack Higgins or Jaidyn Stephenson as the outside runner.

We need a contested ball winner who can burst from stoppages as well as outside pace and class with ball in hand. Would be rapt with Paddy Dow filling the former and whoever Conole sees as the best fit for us at Ports pick, either Lochie O'Brien, Jack Higgins or Jaidyn Stephenson as the outside runner.
True but I reckon we can put together an ok side without any draftees. Some of the sides named above are a massive improvement on 12 months ago.

It would be great not to have to rely on first year players to come straight in.

I'm happy not to include Skinner in "best 22" conversations just yet. It would be great to see him in there come round 1 next year but I think we've realistically got more proven options who have played consistent footy at senior level.

Probably should have added I was continuing on with the 2020 talk a couple of posts above mine.

Either way, the teams look much the same on paper. Can't wait to see the development of these kids.

B..rich Andrews Robertson
Hi...mayes mcstay wither
C..hipwood beams Allison
Hf.. berry schacke Taylor
FWD...clug close Charlie
R.. Smith Berry the zork
I.c Walker Christensen bastinac Cox

NB....rocky....goneeeeeeee

More of a 2020 team... included Cameron as it seems it's pretty much almost OTL.

Robertson Skinner McStay
Mayes Andrews Rich

Witherden Beams Cutler

Nice side. Bring on 2020...but unless there's a rule change we might have trouble playing 4 followers. Good to have competition for spots.

Just wondering why Cameron is OTL? I thought it was just wishful speculation here. But maybe I missed the relevant post.

No Cutler or Gardiner for me now.

McStay Skinner Whitherden
Cox Andrews Rich

Zorko DBeams McCluggage
Martin Rocky Mathieson

Berry Hipwood Robinson
Taylor Schache Christiansen

I/C Bastinac, Mayes, Keays, Walker

Think McStay is better suited for that third tall role. Skinner in time will be alongside Andrews as the twin pillars we can build our defence around. Still lacking a true shut down small defender that can rebound IMO.

Robertson Skinner McStay
Mayes Andrews Rich

Witherden Beams Cutler

You reckon Steph doesn't make the grade next year?

Andrews, McStay, Skinner
Mayes, Rich, Witherden
Berry, Beams, McCluggage
Taylor, Christensen, Cameron
Schache, Hipwood, Smith
Martin/McInerney, Rockliff, Zorko
Int: Cox, Robinson, Robertson, Lester
I reckon your full back lines a bit tall mate?

Personally I am not a big fan of Stef's, played some fantastic football a few years ago but IMO has been ordinary since the Steven May hit. Not aggressive enough around the ball and offers zero up forward and very unreliable with ball in hand, far too indecisive.

My post was more for team in 2020 but with regards to Stef I think it would be wise to play him less minutes next season anyway. We really need to start getting games and experience into either Smith or Oscar. While we are still rebuilding it would be best to experiment a bit IMO. Can't imagine what would happen if for arguments sake Stef gets a season ending injury and we have to rely on a 10 gamer in Smith to hold his own in the ruck solo. Wouldn't be against resting Martin for the rest of the season either as he has been down on form a bit IMO and we aren't pushing for finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back