Best 22 in ‘22

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for Answerth spelling, I should have looked it up.

It's always great fun selecting and debating a team. Let's just hope they are all still available come round 1.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Let's hope, my man. And yeah it is fun. We've still got like 60 days of choosing our debate teams.

Let's be honest, Zorks is only gonna be named in defense to ensure our captain is named on field. You can swap him and Coleman. Otherwise probably pretty close but man, ANSWERTH. How and from where are you getting that spelling?
Let’s be honest here, he’s hardly the first person on here to misspell Answerth, using the Suns Ainsworth by mistake.

FB: Marcus Adams, Darcy Gardiner, Brandon Starcevich
HB: Daniel Rich, Harris Andrews, Dayne Zorko
C: Hugh McCluggage, Lachie Neale, Mitch Robinson
HF: Cam Rayner, Joe Daniher, Zac Bailey
F: Lincoln McCarthy, Dan McStay, Charlie Cameron

R: Oscar McInerney, Jarryd Lyons, Jarrod Berry

I/C: Darcy Fort/Eric Hipwood, Keidean Coleman, and 2 of Callum Ah Chee/Deven Robertson/Nakia Cockatoo

At this stage Hippy in for Fort when fit, if Fort impresses early on becomes an interesting discussion. With Zorko said to be moved to HB, that pushes the likes of Answerth, Lester, Payne, Madden further down the pecking order imo, as I'd have Kiddy clearly ahead of them. Can't split Ah Chee, Dev Rob and Cockatoo, the one that misses of the 3 is probably the sub.

I'd also like Payne to break his way in as a b22 player by the end of the season, but I'm not sure how it can happen aside from injuries.

I am doing mine with people who split roles.
Which is there primary one first. (Mid Forward or Forward Mid). Some players like Clugga WMF.. Wing-Mid Forward
Which sort of lines up with Zorko playing back with Rayner back and Cockatoo fit.
We have a lot of players who are Mid Forwards out of 25 players 9 play through the back line.
5 Backs only
4 Back Mids
4 Wing, Mid forwards
10 Mid Forwards inc 2 rucks
2 forwards

Darcy Gardiner (B), Harris Andrews (B) , Daniel Rich (B)
Brandon Stacevich (BM) , Marcus Adams (B), Keidean Coleman (BM)

Oscar McInerney (MF) , Lachie Neale (MF), Jarryd Lyons (MF)
Hugh McCluggage (WMF). , Zac Bailey (MF), Jarrod Berry (WMF).

Charlie Cameron (FM) , Daniel McStay (F) , Cam Rayner (FM).
Lincoln McCarthy (FM) , Joe Daniher (F) , Nakia Cockatoo (FM)

Darcy Fort (FM) , Dayne Zorko (MB),
Last two spots and sub from Dev Robertson (WMF) , Noah Answerth (B), Jaxon Prior (MB) Mitch Robinson (WMF) and Tom Berry (FM).

edit I also forgot Cal Ah Chee (FM) and Harry Sharp (WMF).. Prob one of the kids from the draft come through as well
So be a lot of pressure on spots

Last edited:
Which is there primary one first. (Mid Forward or Forward Mid). Some players like Clugga WMF.. Wing-Mid Forward
Which sort of lines up with Zorko playing back with Rayner back and Cockatoo fit.
We have a lot of players who are Mid Forwards out of 25 players 9 play through the back line.
5 Backs only
4 Back Mids
4 Wing, Mid forwards
2 forwards

Last two spots and sub from Dev Robertson (WMF) , Noah Answerth (B), Jaxon Prior (MB) Mitch Robinson (WMF) and Tom Berry (FM).
They reckon a team needs its share of MFs to have success. I wouldn't call them that to their faces though!

I always find this image a bit silly, because in the interview it's taken from, the woman is smiling and calm. Someone just screenshotted her in the middle of saying a word and because she has short hair people go "haha triggered SJW". How shallow.
Her eyes don’t look calm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never thought I'd be alive to see the day that the Lions big footy board indulged in fake news, we are just like the rest of social media and main stream news.... doctoring photos, selective editing and clickbait.:eek: What happened to the good old days?:shoutyoldman:
gross-disgusted.gif

I never thought I'd be alive to see the day that the Lions big footy board indulged in fake news, we are just like the rest of social media and main stream news.... doctoring photos, selective editing and clickbait.:eek: What happened to the good old days?:shoutyoldman:
gross-disgusted.gif
Clint is looking pretty young here. Must be an old photo

gross-disgusted.gif
He has got Dirty Harry eyes.

5 Backs only
4 Back Mids
4 Wing, Mid forwards
2 forwards

edit I also forgot Cal Ah Chee (FM) and Harry Sharp (WMF).. Prob one of the kids from the draft come through as well
So be a lot of pressure on spots
Basically this is exactly the team I would pick.

Only query is Fort. I would consider Lester in as third key forward, McStay pinch hitting in ruck. Might be horses for courses depending on who we are playing, how our forward line and rucks compare to their rucks and backline.

Logically Zorko is best 22. Just really interested how they use him. I think the midfield needs to evolve and he needs fewer minutes in there. Maybe he can be a pressure forward - I am not convinced at all he will or could play backline.

I would prioritise Dev Roberston as i think he is good and will improve with more games.

Other than that plenty of options for last spot, I would add James Madden, looks like he could have quite a high ceiling. His closing speed is crazy good.

interesting as I said lots of mids who play forward.
Even though Neale and Lyon are great players I often feel we missing some run when we play both and say Zorko/Bailey.
Add Madden in we have a group of young kids we want more mid mins Dev, Coleman, Starc, Prior, T Berry.
We also have Hugh and Jarrod on the wings who we want to rotate in the middle
then forwards Charlie, Rayner, Cockatoo and Linc
It be a balancing act.. Some players like J Berry play forward well..others do we rest Neale/Lyon forward or bench?

Yeah 100%, they’re all different roles and positions as well so good depth all round.
I really like Dev and believe he is very, close to best 22. Considering our reasonable draw, and the depth we have at the moment I believe 2022 is our best chance at the flag. If Payne and Berry not injured in semi we likely beat the Bulldogs and then I thought Lions were a good chance of beating Port at Adelaide.

IMO some of the mentioned fringe players that are good depth will consider options for 2023, 2024 if not getting consistent AFL games at the Lions. I believe both Dev and Prior are from WA.

B: Marcus Adams, Darcy Gardiner, Brandon Starcevich

HB: Ryan Lester, Harris Andrews, Daniel Rich

While its a pretty easy backline to assume from last year - I just cant see the value in running all four of Adams, Gardiner, Lester and Harris. It really should only be 3 from them (and Payne) most weeks
I would have Coleman, Answerth and Payne ahead of Lester. Lester possibly gets a look at some stage as 23rd man, but Payne was picked ahead of him for the semi against the Dogs, and I reckon it could be Lester's last year, OC at the end of this season

I would have Coleman, Answerth and Payne ahead of Lester. Lester possibly gets a look at some stage as 23rd man, but Payne was picked ahead of him for the semi against the Dogs, and I reckon it could be Lester's last year, OC at the end of this season
Payne also captain of the yellow team ahead of Lester.

FB: Marcus Adams, Darcy Gardiner, Brandon Starcevich
HB: Daniel Rich, Harris Andrews, Dayne Zorko
C: Hugh McCluggage, Lachie Neale, Mitch Robinson
HF: Cam Rayner, Joe Daniher, Zac Bailey
F: Lincoln McCarthy, Dan McStay, Charlie Cameron

R: Oscar McInerney, Jarryd Lyons, Jarrod Berry

I/C: Darcy Fort/Eric Hipwood, Keidean Coleman, and 2 of Callum Ah Chee/Deven Robertson/Nakia Cockatoo
This man nailed it. Dont bother doing anymore

This man nailed it. Dont bother doing anymore
Do we really think Zorko is going to be playing off half back though? He may drift back but I doubt he’ll be part of our back 7 rotation, similar things were being said about Neale last preseason.

Still think Zorks is too valuable to just “retire” to the backline. He is twice the player someone like Ziebell at North is.

He’s an insanely good pressure player, good kick inside 50 and knows where the goals are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back