Unofficial Preview Best 22! Who’s in the team Round 1, 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replace Ward with CMac. Ward going to have more competition this year, and yet to put his stamp on the team. Feel like CMac already did.

My 2 cents aside.. this is one of those "great problems to have" 😅

Maybe you missed the last several games of the season if you think that. Ward put in some much better performances than MacDonald.

Seems we’re already getting into the spirit of who’s going to be best 22, even before we hit the trade period or the draft, so let’s go….
IN: MY 22 favourite players

NOT IN. Your 22 favourite players

/thread

IN: MY 22 favourite players

NOT IN. Your 22 favourite players

/thread
Reality:

1. we will probably never have a full list available
2. being able to put our best 22 on the park in the regular season is unrealistic.
3. some players will be in/out of form/conditioning and thus (even if all were available) the best 22 will change from week to week

Reality:

1. we will probably never have a full list available
2. being able to put our best 22 on the park in the regular season is unrealistic.
3. some players will be in/out of form/conditioning and thus (even if all were available) the best 22 will change from week to week
Interestingly enough, my guess is that by about round 10, most clubs look at about 4-5 players injured, or out of form etc so they say you need a strong squad of about 30 plus players to get the job done. Saying that looking at the lines, back, mids and forwards you need a minimum of 9-10 players each line. Don’t have any stats on it just a general stab based on last several years. We had a horror run last year, like no rucks ! And think, see hope, we get a better go this year based on the law of averages. The exciting thing this year is there are a solid group of youth busting for opportunities, will be fun to watch.

I like how the Nash dismissers miss the fact he played 21 games last year, whilst we had the clearance gods TOM/JOM. Yet somehow without them they think he'll play less.
Odd.
Sam sees him as central to our next premiership. If Sam didn't Nash wouldn't be here.
Remove your blinkers.
Tbf, If Nash is getting a game in a couple years time, it means the young blokes we have coming through haven’t met our expectations. Nash has pretty much reached his ceiling and by most pundits observations wouldn’t be ranked in the top 50 mids in the comp.

Tbf, If Nash is getting a game in a couple years time, it means the young blokes we have coming through haven’t met our expectations. Nash has pretty much reached his ceiling and by most pundits observations wouldn’t be ranked in the top 50 mids in the comp.
Remains to be seen if he has hit his ceiling. Has racked up only 50 games, which is not a lot, especially for someone who played gaelic football and rugby growing up. You also have to bear in mind that quite a few of his 50 games were as a forward, which is not his go. Even worse, he has been thrown into the ruck at times. 2023 will be a big year for him. If he can keep developing his footy smarts, he has the athleticism and work ethic to become a very successful player.

Remains to be seen if he has hit his ceiling. Has racked up only 50 games, which is not a lot, especially for someone who played gaelic football and rugby growing up. You also have to bear in mind that quite a few of his 50 games were as a forward, which is not his go. Even worse, he has been thrown into the ruck at times. 2023 will be a big year for him. If he can keep developing his footy smarts, he has the athleticism and work ethic to become a very successful player.
Stynes was 21 when he debuted, and 26/27 when he hit his peak. By that stage he was playing games 90 - 130.

He was also in a set role as their ruckman/follower from an early point.

Nash is 24 and I think should have a good 3-4 years more to reach his peak, by which stage he may be playing games 110 - 150.

What a strange thing to say.

Nash could be a vital midfielder for us for the next 8 years plus.
It’s illogical to suggest he’s hit his ceiling when he‘s only played 50 games and is 3 or 4 years typically before his prime.

And as for not being ranked in the top 50 mids in the comp? Apportioned equally between the 18 clubs, that’s 2.7 mids per club!
Nash, or anyone else for that matter, could be rated the 100th top mid in the comp and still be a valuable part of a midfield unit.

I don’t think Brad Sewell made any top-x afl lists, but he was a key cog and very effective. Unlike Sewell, Nash has alternative roles too. This will be valuable not only for him and the team, but as a means to let these youngsters rotate in and out TOC the center, and in and out of the seniors

For me, it’s an either/or proposition. You can’t have both Maginess and Nash playing in same midfield group. ideally you’d want both to develop their attacking game. I think of a guy like Cameron Ling- defensively elite but he could also hurt you the other way.

For me, it’s an either/or proposition. You can’t have both Maginess and Nash playing in same midfield group. ideally you’d want both to develop their attacking game. I think of a guy like Cameron Ling- defensively elite but he could also hurt you the other way.
Nah they're extremely different players.

Agreed, Nash was a regular in a side with more established players last year.

I think Nash will play until guys like Long or Stephens can warrant pushing him out.
Would love to see Nash being used as a bit of an enforcer and maybe off the bench to physically hurt the opposition when then need arises, and if he steps over the line on occasion so be it.
I like the thought of a 6 foot 4 unsociable Irish brute crashing through packs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Super hard 22 to pick, few unlucky ones and people I wanna get in the team.

Hardwick - Blanck - DGB/Frost/Jeka
Scrimshaw - Sicily(c) - CJ

Amon - Worpel - Morrison

Moore(vc) - Lewis - Wingard
Breust - Meek - Greene

Reeves - Newcombe - Ward

Day - McDonald - Impey - Mackenzie

Maginess
Stephens
Nash
Bramble
Weddle
DGB/Frost/Jeka
Koschitzke
Lynch
Butler
Morris

Ramsden
Serong
Long
Hustwaite
B. Macdonald
O’Sullivan
Bennetts

Moore, CMac, Day & Mackenzie to be the rotations for mid places. Throw Amon in the middle at times. Newcombe to drift forward at times. Impey deployed where needed (hoping forward for his pace) and Day can drift back if more drive is needed.

Hardwick - ????? - ?????
Scrimshaw - Sicily - CJ

Ruck - Newcombe - Ward
Amon - ????? - Day

Moore - ????? - Wingard
Breust - Lewis - ?????

Bench: Ruck - MacDonald - ????? - ?????
Sub: ?????

Who are filling in these slots? Posters seem to get sore when someone excludes their favourite fringe or depth player, but he reality is we have some decent players vying for limited spots.

Last edited:
Hardwick - ????? - ?????
Scrimshaw - Sicily - CJ

Ruck - Newcombe - Ward
Amon - ????? - Day

Moore - ????? - Wingard
Breust - Lewis - ?????

Bench: Ruck - MacDonald - ????? - ?????
Sub: ?????

Who are filling in these slots. Lots of posters seem to get sore when someone excludes their favourite fringe or depth player, but he reality is we have some decent players vying for limited spots.
And that, my friend, is why the concept of a best 22 is out-dated. We need 30-odd players to be up to standard and with rotations and ''horses for courses'' selections, there is no need for a best 22 or pecking order. Just a matter of who plays this week.

And that, my friend, is why the concept of a best 22 is out-dated. We need 30-odd players to be up to standard and with rotations and ''horses for courses'' selections, there is no need for a best 22 or pecking order. Just a matter of who plays this week.

Every team has a core group of best players though, and the rest of the team is built around them.

Right now our core group would be 13 or 14 strong, not including KPD or another KPF. The horses for courses element is minor, it's generally a matter of playing another tall or small.

Yes and it will be tweaked each week depending on the opposition’s strengths and weaknesses.

Round 1 selection will be interesting...

Clarko would only ever select the older players and maybe have 1 kid debut.

Sam might do things differently but who knows!

Due to the fact we have a huge range of players to choose from I think experienced players will be selected over the newbies to at least get a chance to cement a spot early in the season... eg

Worpel/Stephens > MacKenzie
Greene > Brockman/Butler

Any chance that Amon plays through the middle rather than the wing?

His CBAs were building at Port in 2021 (50%+ in 3 games from Round 15), and at times through 2022 he attended 20-30%.
I'm almost certain he'll line up on the Wing, but will attend Centre Bounces at some stage. There's plenty of other guys vying for CBA, who really need the experience.

Any chance that Amon plays through the middle rather than the wing?

His CBAs were building at Port in 2021 (50%+ in 3 games from Round 15), and at times through 2022 he attended 20-30%.
Wouldn't surprise me to see him spend some time in there. Similar size to Wingard, but probably going to prove more durable.

I like how the Nash dismissers miss the fact he played 21 games last year, whilst we had the clearance gods TOM/JOM. Yet somehow without them they think he'll play less.
Odd.
Sam sees him as central to our next premiership. If Sam didn't Nash wouldn't be here.
Remove your blinkers.
He was best 22 last year and is every chance this year. That does not make him a lock or 'central to our next premiership'.

He has improved year on year and is still relatively young, that is why he is here. He is a solid player who hope can keep improving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back