Universal Love Best Moments/Photos - New GFC background

Remove this Banner Ad

We could always go the other way and select pictures of opposition players.

I.e. Licuria crying after they lost the GF.
:)

3rd Quarter 2011 Grand Final. Hawkin's two and the Stokes contest at CHF with Ben Johnson. Ball spills to Bartel. Awesome hands to Duncan. Big goal!
2007 Prelim. Otto's tap to GAJ and GAJ's snap. Textbook play and a snap that was never going to miss.
Nathan Ablett one-hander and goal 2007 GF. All over after that. Showtime!
Varcoe coast to coast 2011 GF. Ran back with courage in the backline when he just had to go. Kept running and running. Roved beautifully in the pocket.
Ablett Snr snap from throw-in '89 GF. Out of this world. Stunning. No celebration whatsoever

921199-nick-riewoldt.jpg

1e4d9d33881ece365d947ba873f93e41

850507-mick-malthouse.jpg

762999-68ad8f2a-e3bb-11e4-a16e-c49b94c206d0.jpg

What about the 95 preliminary final out at Waverley against Richmond - last qtr - Cats are about 100 points in front - Big Brendan Gale is pretty frustrated - there is a ball up in the centre - big Benny ( who had a few evil thoughts at the time ) came from the side of the pack - with a bit of a run up - lined up a Geelong player - unfortunately for Big Benny the Geelong player ducked - and Big Benny crashed into his brother Michael Gale and actually fractured his jaw

How embarrasing - losing a PF final by 100 - and breaking your brothers jaw - typical Richmond - they feuck everything up

The run between 2007 and 2011 had so many good moments they can seem a blur, and you somewhat take them for granted. I've completely left out 2009 and 2011 flags, each of them had great moments (the toe poke goal, bundy's mark) but I've gone for some different choices:

For how they made me feel at the time:

1. Mid way through the second quarter of the 2007 GF. This was it, what I'd waited for. Sitting in the second back row of the southern stand with no mates, but the text messages just kept on pouring in.
I partied for days.

2. The Richmond game in 2007. * me that was unexpected. Dominance. I watched it at the Arcadia on Punt road and remember calling my mate in the UK to talk about it at half time when we already had twenty goals i think. I'm not sure there has ever been, nor ever again will be, a more defining and sudden portent of things to come in the history of football.

3. 2004, beating the three peat Brisbane lions at KP in a hard fought game. Even Kent Kingsley played well. After a tough few years, i started to get a feeling about the cats.

4. Queen's Birthday, 1989. The newly coached by Malcolm Blight cats were playing some exciting footy, and as such this game was moved from KP to the MCG on the Monday. Essendon were a good side that year, and the MCG was also notably muddy in 1989. As a young'un, my first trip to the G for footy was memorable. A massive crowd, and a big win for the up and coming cats.

5. 2006 NAB cup. A strange choice in retrospect, but at the time it was great for two key reasons: we finally won a cup of some sort, and it was the moment i saw a talented Geelong side change from being one that tried to hang on near the end of big games (2004 prelim, 2005 semi) to one that realised you had to continue to back yourselves and win, rather than save the game.
Sure 2006 turned out to be a disaster but i do remember watching the game at the pub and really enjoying it and having a great night afterwards.

I may well come here tomorrow and think of five completely different occasions, mind you.

What about the 95 preliminary final out at Waverley against Richmond - last qtr - Cats are about 100 points in front - Big Brendan Gale is pretty frustrated - there is a ball up in the centre - big Benny ( who had a few evil thoughts at the time ) came from the side of the pack - with a bit of a run up - lined up a Geelong player - unfortunately for Big Benny the Geelong player ducked - and Big Benny crashed into his brother Michael Gale and actually fractured his jaw

How embarrasing - losing a PF final by 100 - and breaking your brothers jaw - typical Richmond - they feuck everything up
And Michael Gale ran the wrong way with the ball kicking it to our goal end.

Great thread this one! There's so many moments, i'll mention the ones that kind of got me in chronological order (The GF wins and moments already mentioned really to take the cake, but there were morsels of the past that also captivated me.

Reynoldson's game in the QF of 1981, the first final i remember Geelong winning (Plus Mossop's 7 goals). Had fleeting thoughts of a Flag after that, alas the next two losses at our bogey ground VFL park.

Seeing Jackson and Ablett dominate in that Rd 1 game in '84, Ablett jumped so high to grab a handball out of the air, it was a taste of things to come.

Gavin Exell in '87, he totally muffed a kick-in or something against the Swans at KP, but he then made a splendid one handed diving intercept mark from a Swan to get an answering goal. His relief for making up for his mistake was palpable and clear for all to see.

The joy of being there for the '94 PF win with Gary's last gasp mark and goal was as close to footy heaven as one could get until 2007.

The Corey smother of the PF of '07 and the Ottens tackle in the GF were both massive efforts that typified the determination of the players on those occasions. Huge efforts.

But must say, the face of Hawkin's pure joy (and almost an unexpected surprise to see it was a goal) was pretty awesome. I shouted myself hoarse even from my bedroom where i was watching that game, amazing finish!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bumping this as I'm beginning work on the background again.

If anyone has any good photos from -2000 to use, or anything you think should be included post them here. Thanks.

Boris arms in the air after kicking goal from the boundary in his 250th at MCG v tigers. ...

Classic Boris.

GFCCCCC.png

Very rough estimate as to what it will look like at this point.

Very, very open to change, that includes players at the top or the photo, or even the whole thing if you think it's no good.

As for the other side, it will be a replica image with an old logo and an old photo of KP (I'll need help with what time period people want, as I've got no clue).

For the pre 06 era, may I suggest GAS mark over Pert, and one of his freeze frames from either the Prelim vs Essendon 89 at Waverly where he kicks that running goal from the 50 on the boundary or something from 89 GF.

Polly Farmer rucking to anyone

Any team shot with Couch, Brownless, Bairstow, Hocking

Mick Turner running the wings at KP

Regardless of content, I really like the concept and the aesthetic.

Keep going!

GO Catters

Need to have this pic included somewhere:

ablett4.jpg

Such an iconic and classic Gaz senior photo.
I think catempire first post has to have a pic included. Hand of god over Mick Martyn.
Still my favourite Senior photo.

I think catempire first post has to have a pic included. Hand of god over Mick Martyn.
Still my favourite Senior photo.

I was actually looking for another photo of Gaz when I came across the one above. It was taken during a game against the Eagles in the late 80's when Ablett flew for a mark and the shot was taken when it looked like he was standing on a few shoulders. Missed the mark, but it was one hell of a photo.

It was something wasn't it.

That was a special day in Melbourne - spring warmth was in the air, Victorian teams were back in the hunt for the flag.

The one thing I remember about that game was how fierce we tackled (as well as how well we moved the ball). We must have won ten or 12 holding the ball frees.
Certainly my favourite final I have attended.

I could see everything was falling into place as North tried to start a melee before the bounce.

I was actually looking for another photo of Gaz when I came across the one above. It was taken during a game against the Eagles in the late 80's when Ablett flew for a mark and the shot was taken when it looked like he was standing on a few shoulders. Missed the mark, but it was one hell of a photo.

Like the 1 in my Avatar?

Pre 2006, we need the old VFL logo, the Teddy Rankin painting, Woofa aka Geelong express in full flight, a Gazza mark (take your pick which one), Polly etc etc....

Oh, and this:
dl3977

Remove this Banner Ad

Back