Opinion Bloods Culture - myth ?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think bombersno1 has something to do with the way we imploded we were travelling ok until he took the final step and changed his team.

Injected something u reckon

Cool mate. As you can see I am also pissed off. We all move on in different ways. Sorry for biting your head off. As stevoswan said "One team, two cities." Solidarity. For me and you it's one team, 4 states (qld). ;)

Did anyone else think it was a bad omen when they put up our banner which read 'Proudly Sydney'? The banners in 2005 and 2012 highlighted our unique heritage with two cities, one team, whereas this year's was just our marketing slogan. Not very inspirational. The Hawks' was way better.

I think bombersno1 has something to do with the way we imploded we were travelling ok until he took the final step and changed his team.

Lol well at least next year will be good. We can win and use this year to build for next year. Shame we lost but the young players will learn

Did anyone else think it was a bad omen when they put up our banner which read 'Proudly Sydney'? The banners in 2005 and 2012 highlighted our unique heritage with two cities, one team, whereas this year's was just our marketing slogan. Not very inspirational. The Hawks' was way better.

I didn't see the banner. Not a good choice.

Their banner looked awesome

They won the banner
The toss
The game

Won the parade

Bloody hawks

......and we should always have an all inclusive banner on the big days. Always.

You say this and then...

Suggest we replace them with a member of the current leadership group and two of the worst players on the ground.

Replacing our Captains will not solve a single issue from Saturday. Nor would any of the players "proposed" to take over solve a single issue as well. It would be a token gesture pure and simple.

Your argument is a bit like saying that we shouldn't change our game plan based on one poor performance.
The game plan, like the leaders were not up to the task when the going got tough.
There has to be consequences for such a massive failure. If there are no consequences it is an invitation for whatever went wrong to be repeated.

One disastrous game is enough for the leaders to fall on their sword, IMO.
One disastrous game is not sufficient to rule someone out of being a leader or captain, IMO.

Any change of leadership is NOT about righting past wrongs. It is about moving forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not a trivial observation. The players were obviously not right mentally going into the game. Maybe the atmosphere around the club wasn't right either.

On the way home from the parade, I overheard a woman on the tram saying she had asked Jetta at the airport if he was nervous about the game, and he apparently replied "Not nervous, just prepared". I didn't like the sound of it. He should have been as nervous as hell and hungry to win. Sounds like he was too relaxed. Maybe the rest of them were as well.

As fans, we need to do what we expect of the players.

The GF was a disaster - I still cant imagine a worse result. But, to me, it was the perfect storm for Hawthorn.

We will be ruthless next year. No point in sledging club, culture, players - have more faith in what has been established. Don't turn into blues, Hawks, Richmond fans who eat their own.

As fans, we need to do what we expect of the players.

The GF was a disaster - I still cant imagine a worse result. But, to me, it was the perfect storm for Hawthorn.

We will be ruthless next year. No point in sledging club, culture, players - have more faith in what has been established. Don't turn into blues, Hawks, Richmond fans who eat their own.
Just except it, like you do the umpiring

It's not a trivial observation. The players were obviously not right mentally going into the game. Maybe the atmosphere around the club wasn't right either.

On the way home from the parade, I overheard a woman on the tram saying she had asked Jetta at the airport if he was nervous about the game, and he apparently replied "Not nervous, just prepared". I didn't like the sound of it. He should have been as nervous as hell and hungry to win. Sounds like he was too relaxed. Maybe the rest of them were as well.
I have a sneaking suspicion you're on the money here. I think the boys may have been reading their own press... always a fatal mistake

Just except it, like you do the umpiring

I despise Victorian umpires just as you have it in for McVeigh. Some might call us irrational.

But it is pointless bitching about the GF as if a one-off game suddenly undoes what this club is all about. It doesn't.

I would rather give the Swand the benefit of the doubt to use this as motivation next year instead of dangling out players, culture etc. that's pointless.

Footy club cultures exist. They're a thing. And ours has been an exemplar of a successful one for a number of years and delivered sustained success and Premierships.

But like all creation myths they have to be constantly reinforced, refreshed and built upon to survive.

'Mateship' in Australia doesn't just happen. You learn it. The Bloods is no different. Frankly, we mustn't countenance naysayers like Patrick Smith trying to destroy what we've built. Because it can be destroyed simply by the act of everyone not bothering with it any more. And that's what externals want. The WANT to see us collapse in a heap, bottom out as a club and self implode.

I for one won't be a part of that.

I miss having hall as captain, there's one player no one was gonna f*** around with, he defined the club in some ways, tough, relentless an never gave up, he may have thrown punches but hell he was intimidating an more so than any other player in the league, we looked soft on Saturday

Remove this Banner Ad

Back