Autopsy Rd 8 bad kicking is bad footy = Bloods

Remove this Banner Ad

Seeing we are talking about leaders.

Watching the Toby Greene goal last week it struck me that IMO it wouldn't have happened if Brett Kirk was still the captain (and yes I realise he might be getting on a bit now).
In the 2000s we've had skippers that carried the team on its back (Kelly/JPK), organisers (McVeigh) and probably on field motivators as well, but Kirk could do all three equally well.

We still talk about the Bloods Culture.
Stewie Maxfield, Kirk, Roos all helped develop the characteristics that was encompassed in that culture.

Might be time for Brett to have a players only chat with our current group.

One of our guys (Hayward?) bumper barred N. Daicos in the back as ND was walking away.

It honestly looked like the ump was trying to protect Daicos from being bullied.

Love to know how many times the same bump took place across the weekend and how many times a free was paid.
Pretty sure it was Papley that did it. Stevic blew the whistle straight away. The issue I have with it is 10 seconds earlier, a Collingwood player ran from the goal square to charge into the back of Paps, dropped him to the ground 5 meters in front of Stevic who watched the whole thing happen and let it go. If you let someone charge into anothers back, don't then pay a soft as s**t elbow to the back. I am convinced the bloke is a cheat.

Pretty sure it was Papley that did it. Stevic blew the whistle straight away. The issue I have with it is 10 seconds earlier, a Collingwood player ran from the goal square to charge into the back of Paps, dropped him to the ground 5 meters in front of Stevic who watched the whole thing happen and let it go. If you let someone charge into anothers back, don't then pay a soft as s**t elbow to the back. I am convinced the bloke is a cheat.
I noticed that there and was so surprised we didn't get a free kick

Watching the Toby Greene goal last week it struck me that IMO it wouldn't have happened if Brett Kirk was still the captain (and yes I realise he might be getting on a bit now).
In the 2000s we've had skippers that carried the team on its back (Kelly/JPK), organisers (McVeigh) and probably on field motivators as well, but Kirk could do all three equally well.

Stewie Maxfield, Kirk, Roos all helped develop the characteristics that was encompassed in that culture.

Rampe is a leader.

Sitting behind the goals watching him through the game, you can’t help but admire him immensely.

Last edited:
Stevic , what a #### and Williamson will be the same

Kirk , Bolton farkn hard nuts, no fake macho s**t

The free kick differential was wild. 24-10 in favour of the pies. If the buddy booing & daicos issues didn't take the spotlight then the free kick disparity would've been highlighted in the media imo
No it wouldn't have. It didn't negatively impact one of the darling Victorian clubs so nothing gets said. I keep saying it. There is no coincidence that the week after Collingwood got a bad run, they got favoured. It is not a coincidence that the week Collingwood get an absolute free ride, the AFL had released a memo to clubs saying shut your mouth about the umpiring. They knew it was coming.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

there's something obviously wrong ...
my theory starts at the grand final, but is more to do with what happened at geelong a few weeks back
they demoralised us in the gf but it really seemed like we started the new season fresh and ready, psychologically, to put that disaster well behind us
things were a bit streaky but we were going ok
then we came into the geelong game, and the mccartin injuries, and other problems, meant we were well down not just on personnel but on structure
and we got smashed again
it seems that defeat took us back to gf day (like going back to square one for a lot of the young blokes in particular)
and psychologically the damage may have been worse ...

i think some demons also took hold in the port loss, and that problem manifested itself late against the giants, when we had the game won and really seemed to panic in the last 5-10 minutes, unsure how to put the game away
those two defeats have left our ladder position worse than it should be, but very much indicate the mental fragility in the side at the moment

but we really have not looked the same since the geelong embarrassment (although i admit i'm not able to watch games in full, due to commitments, so i may be missing the very worst bits, and some of the few highlights)
structurally we look lost
and against collingwood we played with a timidity i've not seen for several years, and certainly not in this young side
when we threw caution to the wind in the second term we looked threatening and took control but as soon as they hit back in the third term we flinched again and played scared ... they played with assurance and confidence, we played like we were just hoping to avoid trouble

gulden and warner still seem to be playing with that carefree approach, but they need a lot more help
i think criticism of mcdonald is way off the mark and from what i saw blakey has been at least trying to tough it out against bigger bodies
heeney seems spooked in front of goal, although i thought he competed well enough upfield early on sunday
campbell is another who seems to still be improving, and far from our worst ... ladhams the same

i note a few gave parker points but i'm not sure he's going that well, and franklin ... geez, i don't want to write him off but he's really struggling to make any impact (although as usual yesterday he got nothing from the umpires, when a couple of calls early, a couple of goals, might have given him and the team a lift they sorely needed)

but overall, right now we look mentally and structurally broken, and who knows what that means for the rest of this season

the bright side, for me, is that this might be the sort of season geelong had in 2006, when so much was expected of them but they missed the finals and it almost cost thompson the coaching job
maybe this is a season that turns the heat up on longmire but also delivers some cold reality to the young playing group, and we have to be patient and wait til beyond this season to see the benefits and see the team deliver on the potential it clearly possesses
i still maintain my faith that this is potentially the best swans team since the club moved to sydney
Great post.

It looks to me that the team is struggling with the weight of expectation this year. I think they, and also us fans, think they ‘should’ be contending again this year.

I think in reality we had a fortunate run late last year, and other teams were still trying to figure out our fresh approach. The confidence inevitably takes a hit when things do not go as well (eg. Our injuries).

I think it is really important to try to find some he positives at times like these. We pushed the top of the ladder team to its limits for three quarters with multiple key position players still missing, and playing below form. There is a lot of latent potential in this team.

We, and they, just need to be patient until it all clicks again.

Great post.

It looks to me that the team is struggling with the weight of expectation this year. I think they, and also us fans, think they ‘should’ be contending again this year.

I think in reality we had a fortunate run late last year, and other teams were still trying to figure out our fresh approach. The confidence inevitably takes a hit when things do not go as well (eg. Our injuries).

I think it is really important to try to find some he positives at times like these. We pushed the top of the ladder team to its limits for three quarters with multiple key position players still missing, and playing below form. There is a lot of latent potential in this team.

Yup. Self-confidence - when the outcomes are so public, and so dissected, such as in elite professional sport - is such a capricious thing.

It can come out of nowhere.

And it can stay and stay and build.

Or it can vanish.

And it can come back.

Last edited:
Relevant to my previous post, a lot of people on here saying we just need to fix our goal kicking.

If only it were that simple. Just fix our goal kicking.

The elephant in the room is that no-one, in any team, in any sport, in anywhere in the world, knows how to fix the yips.

Or if they do, you can bet they’re charging millions.

Relevant to my previous post, a lot of people on here saying we just need to fix our goal kicking.

If only it were that simple. Just fix our goal kicking.

The elephant in the room is that no-one, in any team, in any sport, in anywhere in the world, knows how to fix the yips.

Or if they do, you can bet they’re charging millions.

True. I was an early fan of Robert Allenby. Before he moved to the US his game included a pure putting stroke. Somewhere along the line he got the yips and never managed to recover that pure putting stroke. He had a wonderful career but the yips probably denied him a major.

I''ve been repeating the same thing for weeks but Horse is not reading my posts.

1. Ladhams is a liability
2. We can't hit a player inside 50
3. We c,an't hit a player outside 50
4. We can't kick set shots.
5. We fumble, we miss tackles and miss targets by hand and foot.
6. We make unpressured errors (clangers) - see 2, 3 and 5.

If I hear one more commentator pump up the kicking of a Swans player or the team as a whole, I will go postal. I will jump onto the big Fox desk and shove the microphones so far down the throats of every one of those smug has-beens that they willl be literally talking out of their butts, rather than just figuratively - For those tragics who constantly use literally when they mean figuratively, that is a literal example of how you differentiate between when to use literally and when to use figuratively. You have figuratively had your asses spanked.

Back to the game, this week we can add a 24:10 free kick ratio to our woes. The VFL really carries a long grudge against Sydney and Franklin. I guess the sting of betrayal still hurts. "Hell hath no fury like a footy league scorned"

So what's the solution, short of forming a Northern states only AFL League.

The solution is certainly not Francis! Here's a bloke who couldn't kick his slippers off in front of a warm fire, without landing the left one in the fire and hitting the old family labrador in the face with the other, knocking out her last remaining teeth and sending her big sad eyes off to doggy heaven.

Was Francis recruited by the work experience kid? The same dude who thought Ladhams would help?

I mean, what kind of a nonce spends most of the first quarter whining over a sore arm (waah, mummy, kiss it better) then still has just enough time to give away a 50m penalty when he fails to see a player standing right next to him asking for the ball. (I'd hate to see a beggar asking Ladhams for change. He'd probably dish out a $1 coin and throw it into a storm drain. "What?" "What?") How much longer can his one lonely brain cell hold out in solitary confinement? Then when he actually managed to take a rare contested hero mark, he misses the shot on goal from right on the bloody goal line, confirming his status as the team goat (no caps). Crikey, even Isaac (Twanger) Heeney could have kicked that one.

Has anyone tested to see if Ladhams' eyes are actually connected? Do his optic nerves go to his one remaining brain cell or do they just sort of hang down the back of his throat like a couple of lengths of cold spaghetti, left over from last Tuesday's dinner?

Seriously recruiters. I don't get why we'd let go of a couple of half decent players, with maybe some upside, just to scoop up a couple of big steamy floaters from the Port and Essendon change room toliets, dress them in a Swans jumper and waste a chunk of salary cap for a laugh. A turd in a Swans jumper is still a turd. It stiill plays like shite and stinks like it.

And while we're talking Swans bring-your-child-to-work-day, our forwards coach and midfield coach need to get their heads together. "No, no, not like that". I mean get on the same page, talk to each other. Don't just smash heads like a couple of horny ibexes in springtime.

Oh fruit! Roll on 2024 or can we at least get Reid, Hickey and Amartey back? I can't believe Reid used to get chastised for missing the odd set shot. He'd be a dead-eye in this team. He could also take a contested mark, bring the ball to ground and apply forward 50 pressure. Remember those things?

What about the positives? I hear you holler. Surely there must be some positives to take out of this collapse.

Sure. We're consistent. Once again we played less than a half of footy yet we still blew the opposition away in the clanger count. No-one clangs like we can clang.

Rubbaduck out.

Great post.

After half time we kicked one goal for every one of Ladhams' brain cell(s). They won the 2nd haf by 37 points.

We didn't push Collingwood in any sense of the word "push". We again played one quarter of good footy, just enough to remind fans what we used to do.

I'm no statistician but I believe there are four quarters in a game. Could someone esle confirm that? Yes? Does our team know that?

After half time we kicked one goal for every one of Ladhams' brain cell(s). They won the 2nd haf by 37 points.

We didn't push Collingwood in any sense of the word "push". We again played one quarter of good footy, just enough to remind fans what we used to do.

I'm no statistician but I believe there are four quarters in a game. Could someone esle confirm that? Yes? Does our team know that?
download.png

Math checks out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back