Autopsy Rd 8 bad kicking is bad footy = Bloods

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn pushed out club and afl greats when they needed to, cats did the same. Sport is a cut throat industry. What you did 6 years ago has less than minimal bearing on what you can provide now.

This conversation only comes up because our midfield are stupid. If they bothered to think before kicking we'd get more varied entries into the 50, make defences more accountable while also multiplying our threat.

Buddy is fine when used as a part of a forward group, as a focus point not.

If you can back it up in how you play then sure. If you're then going to lose in contested possessions for example, or have 16 less tackles inside 50 for example, and get killed in centre clearances... areas of the game where actual hardness and toughness counts for something... then it becomes a problem.

I also just think we just took it too far with the contact to Daicos' head, while the visual of 3 or 4 blokes laying into 1 bloke is the very opposite of physical intimidation; it conveys weakness.

We only had 19 hitouts v collingwood 46, fair enough to lose the centre clearances by 5 when we're getting hammered in the hitouts. Centre clearances have been good for us in the previous weeks too. We broke even at stoppages (which we've been poor this season), lost contested possessions by 9 which is disappointing but not a massive amount. To me the big difference was forward 50 pressure, they had 22 tackles inside 50 v our 6 & goal kicking. The only player on the ground kicking straight was Brody Miocheik with 5.1 which ends up being the difference in the final score line.

Our forwards lost the game for us.

We only had 19 hitouts v collingwood 46, fair enough to lose the centre clearances by 5 when we're getting hammered in the hitouts. Centre clearances have been good for us in the previous weeks too. We broke even at stoppages (which we've been poor this season), lost contested possessions by 9 which is disappointing but not a massive amount. To me the big difference was forward 50 pressure, they had 22 tackles inside 50 v our 6 & goal kicking. The only player on the ground kicking straight was Brody Miocheik with 5.1 which ends up being the difference in the final score line.

Our forwards lost the game for us.
I don't disagree, but it's the midfield that keeps putting us in these "if only..." situations.

If only we kicked straighter against the Pies...

If only our defensive stoppages were better against the Giants...

If only Florent's kick went 1 metre further against Port...

Win a midfield battle for once and these things tend to not be so costly. The best we can hope for is to break even in there against sides; the worst is to just not get belted like we did against Geelong. That won't get you far. Our midfield has to start firing if we're to get anywhere.

Worse how?

I'm glad the club, players & coaches have come out against it. They did the right thing, it's a step forward for their club. Good on them. I hope some of their fans can follow suit.
Because, while I applaud the club, and the Pies are making it harder and harder to hate them, not all the supporters have changed, and a lot of them are the type that do the opposite when told.

I hope I'm wrong

I don't disagree, but it's the midfield that keeps putting us in these "if only..." situations.

Win a midfield battle for once and these things tend to not be so costly. The best we can hope for is to break even in there against sides; the worst is to just not get belted like we did against Geelong. That won't get you far. Our midfield has to start firing if we're to get anywhere.
If only Hawkins and Cameron were injured before last year's GF!

Midfield job to create opportunities, it's the forwards job to finish them. Opportunities were created the past couple of games but the forwards failed to finish it. Our mids have improved throughout the year but I can't say the same about the forwards. If we kicked straight then our mids wouldn't be a talking point. We lost so the mids get the blame, our forwards need to cop it too.

Because, while I applaud the club, and the Pies are making it harder and harder to hate them, not all the supporters have changed, and a lot of them are the type that do the opposite when told.

I hope I'm wrong

Dickhead supporters everywhere, at least the club has improved compared to previous situations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My rankings after analysing the replay.
Everyone starts at 0 and goes up incrementally; accounting for the entire game (i.e. most players average out to a 5 and below that doesn't necessarily mean a "bad" game. 10's are rare and not everyone can be a stand out.)

E Gulden 8
H McLean 7
-
O Florent 6
N Blakey 6
J McInerney 6
J Lloyd 6
L Parker 5
C Mills 5
R Clarke 5
J Rowbottom 5
C Warner 5
R Fox 5
-
T McCartin 4
T Papley 4
W Hayward 4
I Heeney 3
L McDonald 3
L Franklin 3
-
H Cunningham 2
P Ladhams 2
A Francis (s) 2
B Campbell 1
M Sheather 1

The same thing happened with Goodes, it got called out and got worse.

People get booed week in and week out, all fans.

Whether it's right or wrong or for whatever reason, it will continue happening. Drawing attention to it won't help it.
Methinks that's exactly what the club wanted to do...

Highly doubt Buddy or anyone at the club was bothered that he was booed. He's been getting booed most of his career.

No one's talking about us in 11th on the ladder are they

I'd rather the club focus on its s**t performance seriously , we look like sooks

our fans boo that w***er ginnovan etc , our players tried to smack Daicos around per our coaches instructions

Getting precious to take it this far, it doesn't compare to anything like a goodes situation

Are pies fans feral bogans, yeah in my experience at the ground they make you feel pretty uncomfortable a lot of them , i don't expect much

The same thing happened with Goodes, it got called out and got worse.

People get booed week in and week out, all fans.

Whether it's right or wrong or for whatever reason, it will continue happening. Drawing attention to it won't help it.

Goodes booing was clearly off the back of the 2013 Collingwood supporter incident and then his AotY award/comments - so it was clearly driven by racism and it warranted addressing.

Don’t think that’s the case here with Franklin, and don’t think everyone dealing with it the way they have is going to help much.

Last edited:
Who cares anymore. Our year is done. Not because of him but because we go into games as stoppers & nigglers now.
We now have to run out & harass opposition players to try & put them off when the game is stopped but aren't tough at the ball when the game is running.
Paul Roos hated this from any players. Waste of energy he said. I agree. Roos proved it by getting the best out of far, far less talented players who were taught discipline throughout a game. Doesn't exist anymore.

Buddy's contracted so he plays because the majority of people are happy to see the rare glimpses of his best. I must say I've missed them, though there was a hope when he marked in the last yesterday, that he would do the old Buddy thing & nail an important goal. No such thing unfortunately.

I love Buddy Franklin & what joy he has brought our club. So I say we just let him play without question because he is owed that when the rest of the forwards are no better on the biggest stage.
Let's just sacrifice the rest of the season so we can at least get some sought of joy from watching him out there. As long as it doesn't turn into an inability to do the basic things. I think Buddy may have a rest this week so he can freshen up for some other games.

He's averaging just under 2 goals per game.
If he plays another 10 games then that's 20 goals give or take.

I don't care anymore because we will be having to find replacements elsewhere on the ground in the off season.
Reid, Rampe, P McCartin along with Buddy plus a tough midfielder.
Agree. The year is cooked. But I wouldn’t rest buddy for any home games. The fans deserve to see him in the flesh as much as we can in his farewell year.

Watching the match my pessimism was reaching new heights by predicting every disposal to go wrong but that was as a result of it
Actually happening.

That game was ours for the taking but there were so many handballs at the feet or kicks dropping short that it invited poor disposal and less time to dispose as they were recovering the first poor disposal not under pressure.

It was crazy bad.

Florent is one of the worst offenders who invites pressure where he then messes up. It’s fixable if some one just hammers into him about quicker disposal and first option.

Buddy could have had a big game. He is a champion and worked so hard in that game to get involved and apply pressure. But every time it goes to him you know he can’t take a contested mark. If that was in his game he would be very hard to stop but you never think he will take it.

They actually did well in not sending it in moores direction at every kick (save for a few he took) but Errol was the architect of so much but sadly went missing in the last.

He is possibly out most important player presently and number 1 player to retain.

If they could
Just get past the little voices in the head saying hope
I don’t miss or can I make
This kick etc then we will be very competitive.

Ladham’s was great against GWS then seemingly shirking the Game after the early injury. Can’t trust his brain farts like the 50. Though Hickey probably won’t come straight in and solve the issues there.

We need time to fix ourselves but it’s too late this year IMO. However a gritty win could do it. Somebody lead the club and say this week is a must win non negotiable and train like you mean it and it will come.

Agree. The year is cooked. But I wouldn’t rest buddy for any home games. The fans deserve to see him in the flesh as much as we can in his farewell year.

If he deserves to play then play him otherwise drop him. I don't care about his farewell tour, if he wants a farewell tour (clearly doesn't) then he should go back to the hawks. We either focus on making the 8 this year and/or continue developing our youngsters, if he's good enough then he plays. No one should ever be above the teams needs imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back