News Bock off to Gold Coast!

Remove this Banner Ad

No problem. Wasn't challenging your post - the 2 year window the GWS get will be even more of a pain than the current GC concession, true.

Just pointing out that there is a more recent source for some of the rules.

No problem..
They were just compensation rules.. Nothing to do with GWS picks is all which is all i was talking about and the GWS picks are still the same as in the article i linked to..

Pretty much defines the type of footballer he is and what the motivation is. His best chance of team success (which is what you play for) will be in the next 3 years at Adelaide not surfing between 10 goal beltings.

No it is one of the reasons they play. People so easily forget that this is their career and for some it is a golden opportunity to set themselves up for life to be more comfortable than they could ever have expected.

None of this means he doesn't want to win or he isn't motivated by the right things and it certainly doesn't define the type of footballer he is.

Supporters need to get in the real world and understand why this happens and stop bagging a guy for wanting to secure his financial future.

His responsibility is to himself and his family, not offended supporters who happen to support the team he is employed to play for.

I bet the same people who knock him would give up a flag for a $100,000 and deny every other member that....and no one would blame you.

He isn't leaving for an extra 20k a year, it's big money and it isn't like he is ruining the team, he is just one of 38.

The other thing is regarding your comment, who's to say he doesn't think Adelaide have little chance of a flag in the next 3 years? And if you doubt they'll win one before you retire, you are hardly going to give up hundreds of thousands of dollars to play in a team to finish a bit higher up the ladder.

If you were the

Reading between the lines, Burton absolutely cooked Bocky during that meeting. Would've been tough for him fronting the group like that.

Mikey, Bocky a mate of yours brah?

He is good mates with my close friend who played at the crows. Been drinking with him a couple of times, in fact i said "you're not going to let a bitch do that to you and get away with it are you" right before he belted his missus. He was so blind he thought i was craigy giving him instructions! ;)

Interesting though that the word from that group of friends who play currently 2 weeks into the season was that they were s**t this year and would probably finish near the bottom.

Probably just blowing off steam coz they weren't travelling well but it is still an unusual thing to hear so early on :confused:

Sorry to intrude guys but just wanted to say I am sorry to hear about bock leaving. The way the AFL have set up the system for the GC to poach players is an absolute disgrace. As a geelong fan I will most likely be going through the same feelings as you guys in regards to Ablett leaving.

I await with interest the compensation becoming more apparent. At least we get to wait a few more weeks before it's confirmed that Harbrow is off....

He is good mates with my close friend who played at the crows. Been drinking with him a couple of times, in fact i said "you're not going to let a bitch do that to you and get away with it are you" right before he belted his missus. He was so blind he thought i was craigy giving him instructions! ;)

Interesting though that the word from that group of friends who play currently 2 weeks into the season was that they were s**t this year and would probably finish near the bottom.

Probably just blowing off steam coz they weren't travelling well but it is still an unusual thing to hear so early on :confused:

Any word from the boys on what the players think of Craigy? Lots of speculation on this board at the moment about player discontent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't blame Bocky for leaving. Not many people would be able to knock back an extra 150k a year, especially if they only had a short career span and was not someone who is likely to have automatic entry into coaching/the media.

I'm just frustrated at the way it has happened and the lack of compensation. I really don't like the system of getting a draft pick immediately after your first round pick. It doesn't appropriately value the player. Harbrow for example could get a worse draft pick than Krakeour or Lynch simply because the Dogs are a better side than Port and WC. In a trade scenario there is no way that Lynch or Krakeour would demand anywhere near as much as Harbrow.

Not to mention the way it will further encourage tanking. If a club has nominated to use their first round pick in a certain year and then 3/4 through the year it is apparent they won't make the finals. There is double the incentive to tank - why get pick 6 and 7 if we can get pick 1 and 2.

Anyone care to elaborate for those of us who would rather not listen to that garbage?
Hank Hill after doing yoga to cure his back pain:

Hey! I'm bending... it's working!

The pain... it's gone! I'm better!

Now I can finally quit this yoga nonsense.

If we had a better season Bock would have stayed for sure.
IMHO, it would have been extremly dumb of him to stay. Remove the emotion of it all. Of course all of us would have loved for him to stay but the reality is that this offer is an opportunity of a lifetime and one that can set him up for life if he is half smart. If he turned back on that offer regardless of what the team situation is, he would not have thought about it rationally.

We are talking about a $1million diference in offers over 3 years. No one in their right mind would turn their back on that. Unless of course they have the $$ coming out of their ass so they can do as they please and other things become a bit more important.

People talk about this setting Bock up financially.

Sure he gets a lot more money, but you show me an ex-football player (who has been in the system as long as Bocky has) who is not financially well off, and I'll show you bloke who would waste any money you throw at him.

This is not about being "set-up", or providing for a family or anything like that. He could have done that on his AFC salary, and then some.

People talk about this setting Bock up financially.

Sure he gets a lot more money, but you show me an ex-football player (who has been in the system as long as Bocky has) who is not financially well off, and I'll show you bloke who would waste any money you throw at him.

This is not about being "set-up", or providing for a family or anything like that. He could have done that on his AFC salary, and then some.

Nathan Brown copped huge amounts of crap from people when he defected to the Tigers for money, yet people want to now say Bock's doing the right thing..

I agree with you but many don't.. The world is breeding more of an attitude of stuff everything, the $ is what it's all about.. Hey if Bock chooses that then he does, but it doesn't mean we have to agree with it or say it's a great thing and way to be.. I value other things a lot higher.. Simply, Bock will always be known as that guy that left for money.. And someone may agree with what he's done but no one should try fight it that it should be viewed any other way..

I couldn't believe a wording that Bock used where he said "i'm saddened that i HAVE to leave" ..wtf? Have to leave? Sounds more like he's been taken away by someone else against his will..

IMHO, it would have been extremly dumb of him to stay. Remove the emotion of it all. Of course all of us would have loved for him to stay but the reality is that this offer is an opportunity of a lifetime and one that can set him up for life if he is half smart. If he turned back on that offer regardless of what the team situation is, he would not have thought about it rationally.

We are talking about a $1million diference in offers over 3 years. No one in their right mind would turn their back on that. Unless of course they have the $$ coming out of their ass so they can do as they please and other things become a bit more important.

I think this is going to be his problem. Anybody who was earning $3/400k a year and hadn't already set themselves up for the future, is obviously not very smart.

I think this is going to be his problem. Anybody who was earning $3/400k a year and hadn't already set themselves up for the future, is obviously not very smart.
But there is a MASSIVE difference between $400K and $750K. All Bock is doing is maximizing his earning potential and I would be safe to say that 99% of us out there are doing the same thing.

The figure that he is getting compared to an average Joe Bloggs is irrelevant. Its the ability to earn more, MUCH more that matters here. Lets put it this way, its a human nature to want more. The more one earns, the more they want in life. Thats the basic principle of life.

So from Bock's perspective, with the difference between the 2 offers, we are talking potentially the difference in having 1 or 3 more investment properties to his name. You cannot tell me that its not significant. It is HUGE! One would set you up to live a reasonable life after football, 3 would make you live the life very comfortably from financial perspective.

Its the degree to which he sets himself up that is very relevant in this discussion. Do you set yourself up to a degree that someone like say Jason Torney has set himself up, or to the degree that Ricciuto or Goodwin have set themselves up. BIG BIG difference between the 2 cases. One allows you to live a reasonably comfortable life after footy, the other allows you to create an empire.

Well Vlad has changed his tune from yesterday and now "hopes the Adelaide Crows are compensated adequately."

He "hopes"..... like he's just some regular punter.

Better attitude than yesterday though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back