(Bris) Kaidean Coleman late hit on (GWS) Adam Kennedy - torn ACL

Remove this Banner Ad

Section226

All Australian
May 21, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Bit peeved over the MRO's lack of comment over this incident.

The ball had cleared the area, Coleman changed path and hit Kennedy late.

Kennedy has torn an ACL due to the incident and is out for the season.

Why shouldn't Coleman face a lengthy suspension? He has severely injured a player due to foul play.

Just because it wasn't a concussion shouldn't mean less focus from the MRO.

Interesting one. Is there a wider angle? How did Kennedy do an ACL.

As for MRO, who know. It can range from nothing to direct to the tribunal and even then, we aren't sure whether Coleman or Kennedy would be cited.

Interesting one. Is there a wider angle? How did Kennedy do an ACL.

As for MRO, who know. It can range from nothing to direct to the tribunal and even then, we aren't sure whether Coleman or Kennedy would be cited.
Not really sure. I think it´s when he has his right leg planted at the moment of being pushed, you can sort of see the leg bend laterally through the knee and then he pulls his knee up while he´s in the air which I assume is him recoiling to the pain.

Super late and unnecessary but in this case not the kind of action that should cause a knee injury.

However, if it turns out he buckled his knee when he landed I would think it is Coleman´s fault.

To me, it's similar to when the ball has just gone out of bounds and a player is bumped into the fence (or electronic signage).

Usually there's a free and perhaps the MRO takes a look at the incident regarding duty of care.

The broadcaster will often repeat the incident from multiple angles.

This incident though? Not a peep, despite the vision clearly showing Coleman change direction once the ball has left the area to deliberately shoulder charge Kennedy out of the field of play.

Now if Coleman made contact with Kennedy's head, then there would definitely be action.

So why not if the player incurs a ruptured ACL?

Concussion means a player is out for a minimum of one game. A ruptured ACL? Out for a season.

It stinks that the MRO has done nothing.

It's unfortunate for sure but guessing it wasn't deemed illegal contact. Had he been hip & shouldered like that in the centre of the field 10 meters off the ball it'd be play on.

Had he been hip & shouldered like that in the centre of the field 10 meters off the ball it'd be play on.
Disagree.

If the ball has left the area, that would be defined as a late hit, irrespective of where it is on the field.

It was late contact and should have been a down field free kick.

We have 4 umpires now. Clearly we need more.
Never said it shouldn't have been a free down the field, the debate here is whether he should have faced the tribunal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They also didn’t comment on Jack Silvagni doing a clear deliberate trip the other week - the same week 2 other guys get fined for trips.

No oversight, no accountability

Penalties shouldn’t be based on an outcome. 0.001% chance of an ACL occurring
But they are, the entire AFL match review is based on outcome and has been for years.

So the guy who poked Pendlebury in the eye gets weeks as well?
The difference is one action was accidentally and in play and the other was deliberate and out of play.

The difference is one action was accidentally and in play and the other was deliberate and out of play.

Not saying it would be worth the same penalty but they were both illegal actions

We'd end up with players hesitant to make contact at risk of being suspended for months when an opponent does an ACL

We'd end up with players hesitant to make contact at risk of being suspended for months when an opponent does an ACL
Isn't that a good thing if players are hesitant on performing late hits? i.e. the ones that have the potential to cause serious injury, as in the Coleman case where he changed direction substantially with the ball well and truly out of area?

Take away the ACL component.

What happens if a late shoulder charge that is unexpected (as it's a late hit), results in a player doing an AC joint, requiring a shoulder reconstruction?

It's a dirty act and the player should be punished accordingly.

Last edited:
Isn't that a good thing if players are hesitant on performing late hits? i.e. the ones that have the potential to cause serious injury, as in the Coleman case where he changed direction substantially with the ball well and truly out of area?

Take away the ACL component.

What happens if a late shoulder charge that is unexpected (as it's a late hit), results in a player doing an AC joint, requiring a shoulder reconstruction?

It's a dirty act and the player should be punished accordingly.

Might as well remove contact. Players will be too hesitant in case they're a fraction late or accidentally hits someone high

Players will be too hesitant in case they're a fraction late or accidentally hits someone high
I can see where you're coming from, but it irks me that a clearly illegal action has resulted in a player being out for probably a year, and the player responsible gets away scot-free.

Again, if Coleman's shoulder charge hit Kennedy's head, there is absolutely no doubt there would have been a suspension. The fact he didn't but still caused a substantial injury is a grey area.

I can see where you're coming from, but it irks me that a clearly illegal action has resulted in a player being out for probably a year, and the player responsible gets away scot-free.

Again, if Coleman's shoulder charge hit Kennedy's head, there is absolutely no doubt there would have been a suspension. The fact he didn't but still caused a substantial injury is a grey area.

Because there's a far greater risk of injury if it had caused significant contact to the head rather than other body parts

ACls can also occur from very innocuous incidents so blaming someone for it occurring is pretty ridiculous. Especially if there's a pre-existing cause. A lot of times the ACL has been damaged before it finally goes

Because there's a far greater risk of injury if it had caused significant contact to the head rather than other body parts

ACls can also occur from very innocuous incidents so blaming someone for it occurring is pretty ridiculous. Especially if there's a pre-existing cause. A lot of times the ACL has been damaged before it finally goes
Coleman's action caused the injury.

Kennedy was fine until the late hit.

No need for hypotheticals.

No ifs or buts.

Thanks for the chat, but my thoughts regarding cause and effects are clearly different. to yours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back