Preview Brisbane Lions vs Camry Crom @ Adelaide Oval – 28 May 2023 @ 4.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As expected Rich, Rayner, Wilmot and Lester are the 4 named from the extended bench.

Rich Returns for Adelaide Clash

With Deven Robertson, James Madden, Nakia Cockatoo and Tom Fullarton listed as the Club’s four emergencies.

Crows have gone in a bit taller down back

No idea who plays on Charlie
That is a great question - I can see him getting out the back a fair bit, especially if they go to tall on him.

Crows have gone in a bit taller down back

No idea who plays on Charlie

Michalanney seems to be their go to shut down player for small forwards. Big job for a first year player.

I assume they'll play one of their intercept defenders (either Worrell or Doedee) on Gunston and have him help off.

I think our medium forwards (Bailey, Zorko, McCarthy, Rayner) might be able to exploit their match ups, especially if it rains.

Last edited:
I’d like Cockatoo as sub. Bit of a change up if Charlie is getting smothered and we need a bit of spark. Sort of bloke that goes well in the wet - clean with the ball.

Normally i’d want a mid but with Berry and Dunkley i am not sure Dev can provide much point of difference.

I just had a listen back to the Gold Coast game when the crowd continued to sing country roads after charlies second goal it was epic, it really does show how far we've come as a club and how good it is to go to the Gabba, I so want this to happen in a big final late in a game....a spontaneous country roads

Not really thread related but didn't know where to put it

I reckon he likes the wet too. I'm sure he'd love to kick a few against the Crows
Akermanis used to love the wet also. Outstanding players with elite ball handling skills do well because rather than bringing them back to the pack, I think the gulf between them and the rest widens.

Akermanis used to love the wet also. Outstanding players with elite ball handling skills do well because rather than bringing them back to the pack, I think the gulf between them and the rest widens.

The 2nd of those goals was followed by one of the loudest roars I have ever heard at the Gabba. Doing it twice was unbelievable.

I just had a listen back to the Gold Coast game when the crowd continued to sing country roads after charlies second goal it was epic, it really does show how far we've come as a club and how good it is to go to the Gabba, I so want this to happen in a big final late in a game....a spontaneous country roads

Then you've come to the right place :)

It is fraught with danger discussing politics, from my experience you are not going to change anyone's opinion no matter how much you try,
A quote from Michael in 'The Good Place' (Season 2 Episode 1) ... It's a rare occurrence, like a double rainbow, or someone on the internet saying, "You know what? You've convinced me I was wrong."

It was awesome at the ground

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d like Cockatoo as sub. Bit of a change up if Charlie is getting smothered and we need a bit of spark. Sort of bloke that goes well in the wet - clean with the ball.

Normally i’d want a mid but with Berry and Dunkley i am not sure Dev can provide much point of difference.
Has Cockatoo played a single good game for the senior team?

Lot of people in this thread virtue signalling with rheir politics and other social opinions.Enough already .Start a political thread if you must but don't assume everyone agrees with you or that you are on the side of the angels.
Mods step in or I am out of here

I watched the crows highlights vs dogs. I would not take anything from it either way. Crows missing a few senior players. Apart from that it's a typical Ballarat game: windy, rain at times, missed kicks / handballs, missed goals... genuine mulligan territory for the crows.

I watched the whole of the Crows v Saints game live on the telly. It was slick ball movement and very impressive. Tempting to say they won't do that in the rain.

But

I watched a fair bit of Crows v Pies too. Not a heap of rain but it was a scrappy game and the crows adapted. Got it forwards any way they could. Tackled hard. Took hits when they had to. Got off to a FLYER - 3.10 to 0.2. Pies fought back hit the lead. Impressively the crows didn't drop their bundle, got back out to a 15 point lead, kicked the first of the last quarter. Now from then they got a bit defensive but they did NOT get opened up too badly. Pies kicked 3.6 so could have been worse but the crows made them work for it and didn't drop in a heap.

Butts made some bad clangers, whomever he is on might kick a couple. Rankine did some great things as usual but still a couple of brain fades.

I think the wet could help us as a more experienced team with harder bodies. But it's been raining in Adelaide all week so they will have trained for it.

Boooooring opinion but a lot comes down to whether we can get the edge in the midfield. Because the biggest weapon of the crows is their forward line - Rankine and Rachele will kick goals if it goes down there enough. Walker in great form and going at 3 goals a game since round 4, and off a freshen up. Fogarty not quite firing this year but still going at 2 goals a game. Thilthorpe a big presence at least. Enough good supply and they WILL kick a score. Adelaide Oval also has plenty of space on the wings so our team defence will need to be one. It's not a great week for Rich to be back in my opinion. But at least it frees Wilmot up to charge up and down the wing along with Berry - Wilmot doesn't have the tank of Sharp but has incredible pace.

In the midfield O'Brien gets hit outs for fun. We need to be set up for that. Our depth will be the key.

Their midfield: Dawson (gun), Laird (very good), Sloane (been decent but best behind him)... then it gets a bit hard to say. Nobody else from MF averages more than 18 possessions. Keays plays some mid but mainly as a tagger. Soligo looks good but young and inconsistent. Sholl inconsistent. Milera too. Parnell too. So they need at least a couple of those lesser lights to play good games to have a good match. It does happen and is more likely to at home, but it's less bankable.

Our midfield: Neale (gun), Dunkley (very good), Aschroft (very good/good albeit inconsistent), Mccluggage (very good, back in form), Zorko (very good). The players we rotate through the midfield are not consistent but more experienced than theirs such as Rayner and Bailey.

So after banging for so long my point is this - par performances from both midfields should deliver us a win of 3-4 goals. I WANT to be be confident as a result. Especially given this is the scene of such a bad round 1 loss. Last game before bye. Should be fired up to stop a Crows hot start. Let's do this!
I watched the Pies game as well, Pies also struggled in the early part of game - there were lot of fumbles, slippery conditions etc. Considering we play in high humidity where ball feels like a bar of soap I think we'll adapt better.

Our forward line would be a more experienced, challenging match up for their defense. As long as we win the ball in the middle and get it in consistently.

I was planning to make the trip over but succumbed to a positive COVID test yesterday.

Are there any Adelaide-based Brisbane Lions supporters that would be interested in a discounted ticket?

I have a Category 2 ticket in the 'Away Team Allocation' on Level 2. I paid $95; would be rapt to get $50 back.

Looks like there's only Category 7 tickets available through the club now.

Let me know!

If I remember correctly we have a good record at Adelaide oval and Cameron long was gobbling off about how the crows need to take a scalp and it should be us , says the man who predicted the tigers to thrash the bombers last week ! ( not a fan of us I think ) but his lack of support should be a positive !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back