Traded Caleb Marchbank [traded to Carlton w/ Pickett, 2017 Rd 2 pk for Picks 45, 58 and Geelong's 2017 1st]

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate how could he prove that if he signed with Collingwood??
Prove what?

Richmond were very public about their offer. Do you think Collingwoods first offer was 2 first rounders?? Do you think it did not go down to the wire because they had to improve it?? This was our player and we know a little better what went down than a bloke in WA.
Sure, Collingwood and GWS continued to negotiate. That's entirely normal. And Collingwood ended up paying more than they would have hoped.

However, the point remains: unless Treloar was willing to go to another club, talk of a bidding war is erroneous.

Do you understand that a player has to consent to a trade? So GWS couldn't have simply traded Treloar to whoever tabled the best offer, which would have been the outcome of your imaginary bidding war.

Prove what?

Sure, Collingwood and GWS continued to negotiate. That's entirely normal. And Collingwood ended up paying more than they would have hoped.

However, the point remains: unless Treloar was willing to go to another club, talk of a bidding war is erroneous.

Do you understand that a player has to consent to a trade? So GWS couldn't have simply traded Treloar to whoever tabled the best offer, which would have been the outcome of your imaginary bidding war.

No but we could have sent him to the draft. In your imaginary world we would have been forced to take Collingwood's first offer as that is where he wanted to go.

No but we could have sent him to the draft. In your imaginary world we would have been forced to take Collingwood's first offer as that is where he wanted to go.
You wouldn't be forced to accept anything. Sure, the PSD scenario would have been an option, albeit unlikely. When was the last time a high-value player was forced into the PSD? In reality, GWS and Collingwood were always going to come to terms.

The only imaginary scenario here is your vision of a bidding war where GWS can simply ship a player to whichever club offers the most.

Do you understand that a player has to consent to a trade? The corollary is that it was either going to be a deal with Collingwood or the PSD. This notion of a bidding war is pure fantasy.

The reality of how it actually happens these days is that there is a bidding war between bidding Clubs and the player, not between bidding Clubs and the players current Club.

Once the player decides between the bidding Clubs, that Club offers the players current Club a fair trade.

That is how it is done these days between increasingly professional Clubs that put a premium on co-operation within the industry.

As Eddie McGuire famously said wtte "there is enough in this game for everybody if we just all play along".

Players, Clubs and managers mainly act professionally these days and most trades are "fair". It is only the fans who are still looking for ripoff deals.

The reality of how it actually happens these days is that there is a bidding war between bidding Clubs and the player, not between bidding Clubs and the players current Club.

Once the player decides between the bidding Clubs, that Club offers the players current Club a fair trade.

That is how it is done these days between increasingly professional Clubs that put a premium on co-operation within the industry.

As Eddie McGuire famously said wtte "there is enough in this game for everybody if we just all play along".

Players, Clubs and managers mainly act professionally these days and most trades are "fair". It is only the fans who are still looking for ripoff deals.

Not always...

Brisbane got unders for the go home 5, especially Yeo, Docherty & Polec.

While not trying to rip people off there can be differences in what is a 'fair' trade...eg trades that have gone to mediation, the Treloar deal took till the very end of trade week etc

Not always...

While not trying to rip people off there can be differences in what is a 'fair' trade...eg trades that have gone to mediation, the Treloar deal took till the very end of trade week etc

Yes, i suppose that is one recent example where Brisbane were treated poorly by other Clubs. I also think those trades were actually a bit of a watershed moment too in the industry. Brisbane were incredibly vulnerable that year.

Can't see that happening again. Fair trading is in vogue these days. Industry participants see being in the Industry as longterm, high paying careers now. There is as much movement between Clubs off field as on field these days.

Not sure he gets an outright first, Longer was a pick 8 and we gave up pick 24 after he nominated Hawthorn. Pick 10 and next year's 2nd and this year's 4th for Marchbank and Geelong's first rounder likely to be 16-18 seems like a decent deal for both clubs. Values Marchbank at around pick 14-16.

Not sure he gets an outright first, Longer was a pick 8 and we gave up pick 24 after he nominated Hawthorn. Pick 10 and next year's 2nd and this year's 4th for Marchbank and Geelong's first rounder likely to be 16-18 seems like a decent deal for both clubs. Values Marchbank at around pick 14-16.

Brisbane got seriously bent over with Longer. Using that as your baseline is like saying that because Melbourne gave up pick 25 for Melksham, every other player in the AFL is worth a top 3 pick.

Brisbane got seriously bent over with Longer. Using that as your baseline is like saying that because Melbourne gave up pick 25 for Melksham, every other player in the AFL is worth a top 3 pick.
ahaha yeah but still it's an example of a young OOC interstate player coming back to Melbourne and not getting great value in a trade

ahaha yeah but still it's an example of a young OOC interstate player coming back to Melbourne and not getting great value in a trade

Yes, but unlike Brisbane that year GWS won't be dealing with trying to get any kind of compensation on a generation of first rounders walking out, each poached by a different club. Very different circumstances - Brisbane had to make the best of a very bad lot, whereas GWS is on much more solid foundations to drive a harder bargain.

Yes, but unlike Brisbane that year GWS won't be dealing with trying to get any kind of compensation on a generation of first rounders walking out, each poached by a different club. Very different circumstances - Brisbane had to make the best of a very bad lot, whereas GWS is on much more solid foundations to drive a harder bargain.
Fair points and if you look at my trade suggestion GWS trade marchbank at the value of pick 14-16, certainly not a bad result IMO

This is not bad. Can see us valueing 2017 picks as a premium for this years trades.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well of course it does, you're a saints fan. Any unbiased person can see it's ridiculously favouring your side.
Wouldn't say ridiculously favouring, let's say the pick is 11 (could easily be 9-13 though), Marchank isn't worth that on his own IMO, and Steele is good and will have interest but not like he'll be best 22 I wouldn't have thought with their plethora of young mids. So add in another pick and it's probably as good a value as they'll get for them if they nominated the same club, I'd say our 2nd this year but we don't have one.

need to add a pick from this year , say R3 or something like that. Next years R1.. will be hard to obtain so it may be more valuable than it would appear.

The question id say is how bad is Marchbanks injury

No one is going to know that this year.

Thats why I think Marchbank gets a one-year contract extension at GWS.

Does he want that though ?

I think it will come down to if any of his suitor clubs will come in with serious personal terms.

If someone is willing to make an injured player a guaranteed millionaire, on something like $1.5m over 3 years, he's gone.

On the other hand, if people go 'We dont want to overpay', I think he stays.

I think it will come down to if any of his suitor clubs will come in with serious personal terms.

If someone is willing to make an injured player a guaranteed millionaire, on something like $1.5m over 3 years, he's gone.

On the other hand, if people go 'We dont want to overpay', I think he stays.

If , as you say , the $ were roughly the same and he wasn't bursting to return to Vic , he could find 17 worse teams to play for over the next decade ...

If , as you say , the $ were roughly the same and he wasn't bursting to return to Vic , he could find 17 worse teams to play for over the next decade ...

Im not sure thats the issue.

Are any of those teams going to go 'We have faith in you and your recovery ?', and push the money onto the table ?

Yeah right.
Not always...

Exactly.

Add to that the Ebert, Gibson, Crameri, Gunstan, Ryder and a plethora of other deals. The idea that clubs don't try and win trades and always offer a fair price is ridiculous. Hell, GWS would presumably argue that with respect to Freo and McCarthy last year, they obviously didn't like the price they offered.

No one is going to know that this year.

Thats why I think Marchbank gets a one-year contract extension at GWS.

No I think it takes the edge of his value ... but he still gets traded. GWS are becoming astute in Oct.. and I think they will learn from the Non Freo deal last year.I think its all about managing the downside.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back