Recommitted Cam McCarthy requests trade home to WA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he can delist himself under player association rules. Anyone know the clause?
No, you can retire, but not just quite a contract for no reason. If there is a legal reason to break the contract, that's another story but as another poster mentioned that's really only been done in the Ryder case.

I'm sure the AFLPA will step in.

Stopping a player from earning an extra 800-900k for 2 seasons.

Contracts are worth very little these days.

In saying that Dockers would want to come up with a very good trade that reflects the salary on offer.

Cant pay 700k a season then offer pick 20 and Tendai Mzungu.

What exactly will the AFLPA do? Tell him to honor the legally binding contract which he signed...

They should hold him to his contract, it's 2 more years, it's not like it's this year or he bolts next year.

If they let him go it will show the rest of his team that contracts mean nothing, you can just say 'I'm leaving, trade me here'.

or let him go to the draft and get him for free.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Can't enter the draft while he is still contracted.
He would have to sit out footy until his GWS contract expires, unless a mutual termination can be negotiated

No, you can retire, but not just quite a contract for no reason. If there is a legal reason to break the contract, that's another story but as another poster mentioned that's really only been done in the Ryder case.

So do a Mal Micheal when he went to Essendon;)

or let him go to the draft and get him for free.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
He's contrated until 2017. The only reason he wants a trade is because of the $700,000 offer. I would not trade him, Unless GWS get's a very good offer. I'm thinking 2015, 2016 first round pick and experienced player who who be in the Giants best 22.

I just hope GWS plays real hard ball on this. I'm getting sick of young, uppity players demanding they be traded here or there on massive contracts with very few runs on the board. The first who really started the trend was probably Gunston and while that worked out well for the team I support, I'd be furious as a Crows supporter about how that transpired. GWS is probably well placed to really make a stand on this. Showing strength and unity as a club over the demands of one individual will, in the long term, be of greater benefit that appeasing a trade now.

Can't enter the draft while he is still contracted.
He would have to sit out footy until his GWS contract expires, unless a mutual termination can be negotiated

AFLPA would come up with Something

I just hope GWS plays real hard ball on this. I'm getting sick of young, uppity players demanding they be traded here or there on massive contracts with very few runs on the board. The first who really started the trend was probably Gunston and while that worked out well for the team I support, I'd be furious as a Crows supporter about how that transpired. GWS is probably well placed to really make a stand on this. Showing strength and unity as a club over the demands of one individual will, in the long term, be of greater benefit that appeasing a trade now.

You would HATE supporting Brisbane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually that is a reminder - Mal Michael did this when he retired, nullified his contract, and then entered the PSD to join Essendon.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/mal-michael-move-peeves-lions/story-e6frf9if-1111112581259

I suspect people will be a bit more suspicious of this these days, especially in this context.

Yeah, clearly it does leave some sort of loophole, but I'm sure the AFL would be ready to swoop on this behaviour if it suspects anything.
I don't think anyone would be game to try that these days.

He's contrated until 2017. The only reason he wants a trade is because of the $700,000 offer. I would not trade him, Unless GWS get's a very good offer. I'm thinking 2015, 2016 first round pick and experienced player who who be in the Giants best 22.

Their 1st round picks in 15 and likely 16 are almost like 2nd rounders, particularly with all the compo s**t that will push them back further.

They will have to find a really early pick and a player or can f*** off until next year when we would be more happy to deal him.

With what, you are apparently into Redden, Jetta and whoever else, what would they offer, cant get everyone

Well latest word is that Redden is staying and Jetta is still up in the air...and you ran out of names at that point - nothing has linked us to Yarran or Bennell other than the fact that they are Western Australians...both come with more baggage than Heathrow.

So do a Mal Micheal when he went to Essendon;)

Brisbane agreed to tear up his contract out of good will as they thought he was legitimate in his retirement (and he may well have been).

If you went to your club and demanded a trade, and then all of a sudden decided to retire instead? There's no way your club would tear up the contract.

To those predicting GWS's doom, this is exactly as planned.

Stockpile, Retain, Release, Spread Age Demographic.
Exactly. If they get late 1st round picks in 2015 and 2016 for him its a massive win. It means two more years of too end depth. Apart from Mumford and Shaw they'll have all first rounders.

On top of this they'll be able to continually trade away one player in their 10 - 20 range for a decade for way overs as a premiership player.

Make no mistake GCS will make a few adjustments and be in the same boat too.

I have McCarthy's market value at the end of 2015 as pick 12.
Trade value is a hard one. All things being equal, I'd agree pick 12 sounds fine.
However to a club like GWS who have a swag of young players and already have a top 10 pick, pick 12 holds far less value to them.
On the other hand, pick 12 would be very valuable to Freo, who haven't had many high picks in the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back