Traded Cameron McCarthy [traded to Fremantle with picks 7, 33 and 71 for pick 3]

Remove this Banner Ad

Its suddenly become one WA side chasing Cam. GWS would have lost a bargaining chip with WC now needing a ruck man with Nic Nat going down. You would imagine WC chasing another tall forward would be out the window. Lobb would now be their target you would think.

Its suddenly become one WA side chasing Cam. GWS would have lost a bargaining chip with WC now needing a ruck man with Nic Nat going down. You would imagine WC chasing another tall forward would be out the window. Lobb would now be their target you would think.

Yeah. West Coast burnt picks on Redden and Jetty to give their midfield depth and they might need a ruckman so not sure if the forward line is the weakness.

Eagles have Lycett, not sure they need anyone else (not at the expense of a good pick or anything anyway). How many teams have genuinely good 3rd string ruckman? Can't think of any. 2 decent ruckman are a must, but if they both get injured, just got to hope it's not for too long...can't have great depth in every area.

Reckon the Eagles may still be interested in McCarthy at the right price.

Eagles have Lycett, not sure they need anyone else (not at the expense of a good pick or anything anyway). How many teams have genuinely good 3rd string ruckman? Can't think of any. 2 decent ruckman are a must, but if they both get injured, just got to hope it's not for too long...can't have great depth in every area.

If GWS and the Eagles want to troll Freo maybe.

(It's a possibility)

Pretty sure that Lycett is more than sufficient as a back up ruckman.

Pretty sure that Lycett is more than sufficient as a back up ruckman.

Their midfield is still bog average in some areas though. I don't think Hutchings would get a game in many other sides.

If they want Cam, all power to them but if I was them I'd get loading up on a midfield to feed the key key forward in the comp.

Their midfield is still bog average in some areas though. I don't think Hutchings would get a game in many other sides.

If they want Cam, all power to them but if I was them I'd get loading up on a midfield to feed the key key forward in the comp.
Easier said than done. There aren't any really genuinely high quality mids looking to go to WA afaik except Hill, who by all accounts wants to get to your mob to play with his brother, and it's extremely rare for a first year mid to have a genuine impact in a finals team, so a draftee isn't going to help really in that regard.

Seems like a lot of Freo fans are trying their best to convince themselves the Eagles won't be interested in Cam's services and GWS will be forced to give him up for peanuts. I don't think it will play out that way.

They haven't got 2 decent Ruckmen with Nic out . Its Lycett and then bust. If Lycett goes down they have nothing. Freo have found that out with out Sandi injured . Second stringers with out the main man don't cut it.

Easier said than done. There aren't any really genuinely high quality mids looking to go to WA afaik except Hill, who by all accounts wants to get to your mob to play with his brother, and it's extremely rare for a first year mid to have a genuine impact in a finals team, so a draftee isn't going to help really in that regard.

Seems like a lot of Freo fans are trying their best to convince themselves the Eagles won't be interested in Cam's services and GWS will be forced to give him up for peanuts. I don't think it will play out that way.

Not saying that all. Cam would know longer be on the WC radar. GWS can ask for what ever they want ,its their right but it will be harder if WC don't show any interest.

One average ruck man in Lycett is surely not enough . They need another ruck man. We all saw what happened to WC when Nic Nat was out.
Freo have been running with an average back up ruckman in Clark for years. It's rare to have a genuinely good quality back up ruck, because they usually go to another club to seek more opportunity as a first ruck in their own right.

Also, Lobb isn't exactly a fantastic ruckman. Seems more like an oversized tall forward/second ruck than a legitimate first ruck. His strength lies in his contested marking, not his tap work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not saying that all. Cam would know longer be on the WC radar. GWS can ask for what ever they want ,its their right but it will be harder if WC don't show any interest.
It's a big assumption that Cam isn't on WC's radar just because Nic Nat got injured.

It's a big assumption that Cam isn't on WC's radar just because Nic Nat got injured.

They don't need him . Never did .It was always trying to force Freo's hand by pushing up Freo's offer . Their forward half is as strong as any in the comp. Its now their midfield that is the weak link. They now can't take a chance on missing out on a ruck and a good mid.

It seems some posters want to make Freo supporters out to be that. Cam's price is definitely lower this year and only a fool would say otherwise. It's just a matter of what that price is. Some think a top 10 pick. Some a 3rd rounder. It's most probably in the middle. A second rounder will get it done given the circumstances. I can see this being mediated a-la the Paddy Ryder deal if it drags on but it's a PR disaster for the AFL waiting to happen as well. Freo are taking on significant risk int he situation and that has to be taken into account. You might disagree and that's fine. It's a year where there's a fair few situations like this. Some posters want to give their first born for O'Meara while I would just run away as fast as I can from the guy. Who knows who is right but Cam is similar to me. Who knows how he will come back. Mitch Clark didn't come back very well at all from his lay off.

Depending on whether you believe media reports GWS never even let the conversation start regarding a trade for Cam. Full stop. But apparently we wanted him for peanuts. If you believe other reports we offered apparently at least pick 27 and our first this year (currently pick 3). Pick 27 ended up being Darcy Tucker. Nothing to sneeze at.

If GWS are dicks again and won't even consider a deal or are asking way too much then we should walk away on day one. Cam isn't going to take us from bottom 3 to an elite team. It's a marathon not a sprint for us right now.

It seems some posters want to make Freo supporters out to be that. Cam's price is definitely lower this year and only a fool would say otherwise. It's just a matter of what that price is. Some think a top 10 pick. Some a 3rd rounder. It's most probably in the middle. A second rounder will get it done given the circumstances. I can see this being mediated a-la the Paddy Ryder deal if it drags on but it's a PR disaster for the AFL waiting to happen as well. Freo are taking on significant risk int he situation and that has to be taken into account. You might disagree and that's fine. It's a year where there's a fair few situations like this. Some posters want to give their first born for O'Meara while I would just run away as fast as I can from the guy. Who knows who is right but Cam is similar to me. Who knows how he will come back. Mitch Clark didn't come back very well at all from his lay off.

Depending on whether you believe media reports GWS never even let the conversation start regarding a trade for Cam. Full stop. But apparently we wanted him for peanuts. If you believe other reports we offered apparently at least pick 27 and our first this year (currently pick 3). Pick 27 ended up being Darcy Tucker. Nothing to sneeze at.

If GWS are dicks again and won't even consider a deal or are asking way too much then we should walk away on day one. Cam isn't going to take us from bottom 3 to an elite team. It's a marathon not a sprint for us right now.
I don't think there's any doubt that his value has dropped, but a second or third rounder won't get it done. 2 firsts were offered last year apparently. Under the circumstances, 1 first would probably get it done. It's up to Freo to come up with a fair trade, GWS are under no obligation to trade Cam for unders.

I don't think there's any doubt that his value has dropped, but a second or third rounder won't get it done. 2 firsts were offered last year apparently. Under the circumstances, 1 first would probably get it done. It's up to Freo to come up with a fair trade, GWS are under no obligation to trade Cam for unders.

No worries. That's your opinion of his value. At least a few in the media on SEN and on local Perth radio have seen it more as a second. If it's more and doesn't fulfill our needs then Cam will more than likely retire. That's not a threat, it's likely.

Just a reminder but this is how supply and demand works. It's a falling market and GWS will have to acknowledge that or expect mediation.

economics5.gif

Cam has shown with his actions enough that no other club will want him outside of West Coast and Freo. You can magic up some kind of idea that West Coasts forward line needs strengthening but the facts just do not support this. The demand just isn't there. Our demand for a final push for a flag is done. We still need key forwards so there is a reasonable understanding that we will want to trade for Cam but again, if the risk doesn't match the reward as far as we see it then we will walk. We aren't looking to trade fan favourites Ballantyne and Barlow to then take those pick and flush them down the toilet if we pay more than we can for Cam.

So if Freo offers a second and GWS says no and Cam's not going back to GWS regardless what do you think happens? You tell me.

The AFLPA won't want this and the clubs won't either. Unrestricted free agency for all at the end of contracts will be a step closer if this goes down badly.

Last year Gubby Allan was very specific that Cam wasn't going anywhere, the 2 x 1st round picks was what the GWS supporter demanded from us. Much like you are doing now with your assertion that it must be a 1st rounder.

Word from Freo is that no offer was officially tabled because GWS simply refused to deal, as was their right.

Last year Gubby Allan was very specific that Cam wasn't going anywhere, the 2 x 1st round picks was what the GWS supporter demanded from us. Much like you are doing now with your assertion that it must be a 1st rounder.

Word from Freo is that no offer was officially tabled because GWS simply refused to deal, as was their right.
I'm not demanding anything, given my club isn't involved in the trade. I'm just giving my opinion on what it will take to get the trade done, as is my right on a public forum.

The more I think about it...

It pains me to say it but GWS have obviously done a great job with how they juggle their assets and keep the benefit of the initial concessions alive. They've basically needed a portion of their list to leave each year and for them to have other clubs pay up. They need to get at least equal value but have sometimes got more than equal back. There are players that they don't mind losing (Boyd (for the price), Jaksch, Sumner, O'Rourke to name a few) and theres the ones that they would have wanted to keep but they have got good value for (Adams, Treloar, Tyson).

It's in their strategy to keep enough of the talent they want to to have a good team and then if someone goes it either needs to be a first 22 player back or further draft picks to rinse and repeat the strategy. I'm obviously not saying anything new here but the current system works for them. There was no benefit to them to trade McCarthy last year as it didn't fit this strategy. Open free agency though would be a disaster for GWS. Without the trade leverage they would have bled players and not had the picks available to replenish.

GWS needs the Cam McCarthy situation to be resolved without them losing face but it can't drag on and or not be resolved. It just can't. It will put too much of a spotlight on the current system. If Freo is smart they will deliver a deal that allows GWS to do this but if GWS are smart they will understand what is at cost here.

No other club in the league needs the current free agency rules to remain more than GWS.

I'm not demanding anything, given my club isn't involved in the trade. I'm just giving my opinion on what it will take to get the trade done, as is my right on a public forum.

Perhaps " demanding " was a poor choice of word to use. But you are adamant that it must be a first rd pick.

but a second or third rounder won't get it done.

The reports on his mental issues has been scant, so lets assume he's got some stuff to deal with. Regardless of that fact, he's gone about this like an entitled brat.

If you need time away... then quit. No expectation, he's got enough coin and family in WA to get by and really work on what he needs to..... not everyone has that luxury. After 2 years he can always re-enter via the draft assuming he's had the Docs and such give him the advice that footy is a good positive thing for him.

If its not that big a deal, see out your contract in good faith and lay the foundations for a good trade to where you'd rather be. You don't always get what you want straight away and its a good life skill to be able to make the best out of the situation you find yourself in.

The child should be sent to the draft and play wherever he's told.

The reports on his mental issues has been scant, so lets assume he's got some stuff to deal with. Regardless of that fact, he's gone about this like an entitled brat.

If you need time away... then quit. No expectation, he's got enough coin and family in WA to get by and really work on what he needs to..... not everyone has that luxury. After 2 years he can always re-enter via the draft assuming he's had the Docs and such give him the advice that footy is a good positive thing for him.

If its not that big a deal, see out your contract in good faith and lay the foundations for a good trade to where you'd rather be. You don't always get what you want straight away and its a good life skill to be able to make the best out of the situation you find yourself in.

The child should be sent to the draft and play wherever he's told.

Do you know him and his family personally?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back