Traded Cameron McCarthy [traded to Fremantle with picks 7, 33 and 71 for pick 3]

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS: 2nd Round pick 2016, McCarthy.
FREO: 1st Round pick 2017. 3rd round pick 2016.

???

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
On current ladder that's: Pick 1 and 37 for McCarthy and Pick 32

Let's look at that as a points value. McCarthy was drafted at Pick 14 (1161pts), and pick 32 (584) = 1745 pts.
Freo would trade Pick 1 (3000pts) and pick 37 (483) = 3483

In 2 years (The first of which he was dropped to the 2s after Round 16, and the 2nd he played 0 games) his value has somehow increased 1738pts.

Blue Horseshoe Loves Anacot Steel

Let's look at that as a points value. McCarthy was drafted at Pick 14 (1161pts), and pick 32 (584) = 1745 pts.

In 2 years (The first of which he was dropped to the 2s after Round 16, and the 2nd he played 0 games) his value has somehow increased 1738pts.

So freo are finishing last in 2017 as well?

Taylor Walker was drafted at Pick 75 (0 points) - so I guess all he's worth is a fifth round pick then, yeah? What a stupid observation.

Also, Fremantle's first pick in 2017 currently stands at Pick 13 (1212 points).

Logic is wrong here. Freo wouldn't have offered pick 1 so the rest of this is not correct.

I'm not sure, does someone here know for sure?
It would be nice to get some clarification. Also, what if GWS offer him a contract and he doesn't sign it? Is he he still 'delisted'? Would he go into the PSD, or is he delised as a result?

Bugger it. Think I'll just wait. This is starting to go around in circles anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How would I know?
Then what the hell are you on about?

FREO are not trading pick 1 for McCarthy, if they belive there finishing last in 2017 there not trading it.

But a pick upgrade this year along with a high pick and McCarthy I would think they would back themselves in to improve right?

Then what the hell are you on about?

FREO are not trading pick 1 for McCarthy, if they belive there finishing last in 2017 there not trading it.

But a pick upgrade this year along with a high pick and McCarthy I would think they would back themselves in to improve right?

I was replying to Barlow#44's hypothetical trade. Wowsers - this thing really does go around in circles :) Next thing someone will write Player X is def being traded because he barracked for team Y as a kid and that Team Z is a 'destination club' because of some utterly weird reason like 'our club has Spam Night every Tuesday..

It would be nice to get some clarification. Also, what if GWS offer him a contract and he doesn't sign it? Is he he still 'delisted'? Would he go into the PSD, or is he delised as a result?

Bugger it. Think I'll just wait. This is starting to go around in circles anyway.

If GWS offer him a contract, then he won't be a DFA. He could go into the national or preseason draft.

GWS would have no incentive to delist him before the trade period is finished, as it would mean they couldn't be compensated via trade.

After the trade period they could delist him if they were feeling charitable, but that would set a bad precedent for their future trading.

In my view, there is no incentive for GWS to delist him. In fact, they are incentivised to not delist him.

If GWS offer him a contract, then he won't be a DFA. He could go into the national or preseason draft.

GWS would have no incentive to delist him before the trade period is finished, as it would mean they couldn't be compensated via trade.

After the trade period they could delist him if they were feeling charitable, but that would set a bad precedent for their future trading.

In my view, there is no incentive for GWS to delist him. In fact, they are incentivised to not delist him.
Thanks. no one turned up to the PSD last year. Might not even exist for much longer. So, I guess he nominates for The Draft - everyone passes given his history, and we all go back to discussing how good Cyril is.

Thanks. no one turned up to the PSD last year. Might not even exist for much longer. So, I guess he nominates for The Draft - everyone passes given his history, and we all go back to discussing how good Cyril is.

Yeah all sounds good but 2018 is a long time to wait for a game. Think Cam will be keen for a deal to be done this year.

If GWS continue on current form. They'll need every dollar in the cap to keep the stars. I'm sure they want him off their books. 250k or whatever he's on in 2017 could go towards giving someone a contract extension.

If GWS continue on current form. They'll need every dollar in the cap to keep the stars. I'm sure they want him off their books. 250k or whatever he's on in 2017 could go towards giving someone a contract extension.
His wage has already been budgeted for.

We don't have to scramble to cover it.

Article from Barrett

"McCarthy, the ultra-talented yet highly troubled 21-year-old who remains contracted to GWS through to the end of 2017, will probably end up at Fremantle in the next player exchange period.

Just as Lyon has now taken control of the public narrative of his dreadfully performing team, McCarthy's future is in the Dockers coach's hands.

Two first-round draft picks – one from each of 2015 and 2016 – were on offer in October for McCarthy last year.

It would not surprise if the Dockers offered nothing more than a third-round pick in 2016. And there's not much the Giants could do to challenge that. Having refused all overtures last year to trade him, they know they cannot keep him on their list.

McCarthy is desperate to live in Perth. Sitting out of football this year is proof of that, and with West Coast content with Josh Kennedy and Jack Darling holding down key position forward line posts, it's unlikely the Eagles will provide the type of competitive tension required for GWS to get a lucrative return for him.

GWS, having spent some time talking McCarthy down, is now talking him up, aware it needs to do so in order to get something worthwhile for him. "

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-11/rebuild-is-a-dirty-word-for-ross-lyon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back