Traded Cameron McCarthy [traded to Fremantle with picks 7, 33 and 71 for pick 3]

Remove this Banner Ad

That is not a history lesson. It's a fantasy lesson. Why dress it up as actually happening?
1. No evidence at all
2. Why would 1 lead to 2 - where's the logic?
3. This actually happened after the season, because it's on record.
4. You really are reaching to make this up.
5. The word is "heels". If you can't tell the truth, at least you can try and spell correctly.
6. Nobody trotted out the word "depression". Anxiety was mentioned, I believe.

If you've really run a HR company with 650 employees, you should be fired, or go broke. This kind of delusional character assassination is disgraceful.
You're a typical Freo supporter coming to his defence only because your club has a stake in him. You guys make me laugh.

When he first wanted to be traded there was no talk what so ever that he had mental issues. When they were called out by GWS he all of sudden has depression.

Give me a break.

At this stage GWS probably dont really care what Sunshine is worth.
The club has conceded that he may have issues and will be kind to him.
But we have made it clear to all player managers that when your client brokers and gets a contract with us,"we" expect you to do your best to uphold your end of the bargain.
Whether rossy was into him or not and whether his manager used his GWS price to barter with freo is all irrelevant our club has shown great fortitude to not be pushed around by a greedy little man.

At this stage GWS probably dont really care what Sunshine is worth.
The club has conceded that he may have issues and will be kind to him.
But we have made it clear to all player managers that when your client brokers and gets a contract with us,"we" expect you to do your best to uphold your end of the bargain.
Whether rossy was into him or not and whether his manager used his GWS price to barter with freo is all irrelevant our club has shown great fortitude to not be pushed around by a greedy little man.
I assume greedy is another word for homesick.

Greedy people do not quit there job for a year, especially when it will impact their future earnings.

I assume greedy is another word for homesick.

Greedy people do not quit there job for a year, especially when it will impact their future earnings.
Hmmm i wonder if freo have dropped there offer.

Edit. And we are still paying him for basically sitting around and drinking/partying.

Good gig if you can get it.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hmmm i wonder if freo have dropped there offer.

Surely you accept McCarthy's value dropped the moment he walked out on GWS? He and his manager would have been aware of that, but it happened anyway.
It remains to be seen if he can recover his career from here.

I hope it does.

Surely you accept McCarthy's value dropped the moment he walked out on GWS? He and his manager would have been aware of that, but it happened anyway.
It remains to be seen if he can recover his career from here.

I hope it does.
Hense why ive said a 2nd rounder will and probably already has been agreed to.

As for his money offer. Well thats another story.

No one to blame but himself and his manager if it doesnt recover.

Hense why ive said a 2nd rounder will and probably already has been agreed to.

As for his money offer. Well thats another story.

No one to blame but himself and his manager if it doesnt recover.

That's not how mental illness works. Unless you are accusing your club of lying as well?

You're a typical Freo supporter coming to his defence only because your club has a stake in him. You guys make me laugh.

When he first wanted to be traded there was no talk what so ever that he had mental issues. When they were called out by GWS he all of sudden has depression.

Give me a break.

No. I have been watching McCarthy since the performance where he broke his leg, before he was drafted. I have tried to correct people who just repeat the same bullshit without thinking.

You are repeating falsehoods. It is because you haven't taken the time to check up on this history that you are espousing. I think you should check what you say before you further denigrate someone's reputation.

Eg 1. there was talk of mental issues, but obviously it was not initially proclaimed that McCarthy has issues. GWS have now acknowledged the truth of this with public statements and by the fact that they are still paying him.
Eg 2. The time line of GWS "calling him out" leading to depression is a complete fabrication.
Eg 3. There has been no mention of depression anyway. I think "anxiety disorder" is the closest we've got.

That's not how mental illness works. Unless you are accusing your club of lying as well?
Not at all. Once the manager went the mental health route, no way was the club going to argue. Wether it was true or not.
Itll be a miraculous recovery the moment the trade is signed. You know it and so do most of your fans.
He had bad advise from his manager in how to handle the trade as well as how to handle himself. And that is on them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not at all. Once the manager went the mental health route, no way was the club going to argue. Wether it was true or not.
Itll be a miraculous recovery the moment the trade is signed. You know it and so do most of your fans.
He had bad advise from his manager in how to handle the trade as well as how to handle himself. And that is on them

This is all you can hang your hat on. Bad manager! Why not accept one of your players had a problem?

But your club did try to argue. I can understand why. To them, McCarthy was always a happy, positive young man. They nicknamed him Sunny. Young dropped hints about His unhappiness left right and centre, then publicly implored GWS to send someone to visit Cam in the days before the trade period finished.

Later they acknowledged there was a problem and tried to organise more home visits in the preseason.

Cam walking out was certainly not on his manager's advice, and was the exact opposite of what his manager indicated would happen in 2016.

I don't think there will be a miraculous recovery the moment the trade is signed. That is wrong for you to say what I know that. McCarthy has been home for a whole season, during which he has had time to recover. Hardly a one day recovery.

This is all you can hang your hat on. Bad manager! Why not accept one of your players had a problem?

Didnt have a problem till well into trade week.

But your club did try to argue. I can understand why. To them, McCarthy was always a happy, positive young man. They nicknamed him Sunny. Young dropped hints about His unhappiness left right and centre, then publicly implored GWS to send someone to visit Cam in the days before the trade period finished.

Really? Hints? When? Links during the year?
Shouldnt he of actually said or done something instead of hints? You know, discussed it with the club, i mean that is Youngs job isnt it.
But then he goes the media route without doing anything besides supposed "hints". Hmm not professional.
Hell he even came out and said that the club didnt know because the exit interview was too short.
I can garuntee if something like that was brought up then the exit interview would of been extended.
But no. Lets talk to Barrett and the footy show instead

Later they acknowledged there was a problem and tried to organise more home visits in the preseason.

Yep once it all came out and they actually approached them, the club did everything they could for him

Cam walking out was certainly not on his manager's advice, and was the exact opposite of what his manager indicated would happen in 2016.

Yep a manager is really going to publicly call for his player to walk. He wouldnt work again.

I don't think there will be a miraculous recovery the moment the trade is signed. That is wrong for you to say what I know that. McCarthy has been home for a whole season, during which he has had time to recover. Hardly a one day recovery.

Im sure.
Yep and we have seen photos of him partying with his mates. While still on the payroll. Good gig.

Didnt have a problem till well into trade week.

Really? Hints? When? Links during the year?
Shouldnt he of actually said or done something instead of hints? You know, discussed it with the club, i mean that is Youngs job isnt it.
But then he goes the media route without doing anything besides supposed "hints". Hmm not professional.
Hell he even came out and said that the club didnt know because the exit interview was too short.
I can garuntee if something like that was brought up then the exit interview would of been extended.
But no. Lets talk to Barrett and the footy show instead

Yep once it all came out and they actually approached them, the club did everything they could for him

Yep a manager is really going to publicly call for his player to walk. He wouldnt work again.

Im sure.
Yep and we have seen photos of him partying with his mates. While still on the payroll. Good gig.

Most of your replies centre on the lack of public discussion regarding McCarthy's situation before trade week.

If Young publicly discussed Cam before trade week you would have (rightly) abused him as a terrible manager. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. He claimed that he approached the club half way through the year regarding Cam's desire to leave.

The hints I referred to were those he mentioned publicly. I may be paraphrasing: "he's not just homesick - he wants to be home and he doesn't like living in Sydney". The exit interview comment was more a comment on how Cam handled himself in that interview (why he didn't have a heart to heart with Leon Cameron), not whether his manager had been talking to the club.

I think you are giving too much credit to one of the ex-managers of your club. From Gubby's public behaviour and what has been revealed of his methods since, we should be able to agree that ethical behaviour is not his forte. I think it is pretty clear that he knocked any talk of Cam wanting out on the head when it was raised by his manager. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even mention it to the coach.

Talking to Barrett (ever) is not a good idea. I agree. Young has a few friends in the media and I don't like how he seems to use the media in an attempt to provide leverage. But I think this was in response to the intransigence shown by their list manager when discussions were raised.

Finally, be careful of the reports and pictures of Cam partying.
The pictures I've seen with the young Eagles players were from Australia Day 2015. Apart from that it's mostly hearsay.

I don't know. We've found more common ground than used to be the case!
Mmm we arent going to agree on this. Obviously.

But its pretty straight forward regarding a trade this year.

2nd rounder, this years or next, has probably already been agreed to if there is no one else involved.

I don't get why posters are mentioning all the 'miraculous' recovery from depression once he's traded rubbish.

His depression was triggered by not being home.

He's now home and recovering.

Why wouldn't he get better if traded and stays home?

Depression can be chemical, lifestyle or a range of reasons. Most live with depression because they don't cut out the things making them depressed example job, partner, drugs or whatever.

There's one highly likely outcome. Trade or no trade McCarthy is remaining in Perth.

Mmm we arent going to agree on this. Obviously.

But its pretty straight forward regarding a trade this year.

2nd rounder, this years or next, has probably already been agreed to if there is no one else involved.

I wonder how the replacement of Gubby with Campbell will have impacted the willingness of the two clubs to sit down and talk.

I wonder how the replacement of Gubby with Campbell will have impacted the willingness of the two clubs to sit down and talk.
More a case of theres no other choice.

We have obviously moved on and freo want to.

Just do the trade and get on with winning footy would of been a good reason.

Just on a side note was talking to a mate whos son plays down at souths, he has watched him train a few times recons absolute gun, best player out there training

Let's have a bit of a look at the mental health side of things with Cam. Firstly let's start with the diagnosis. According to the article below it is "an adjustment disorder that causes anxiety".

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e/news-story/94bcbb408d32aee7cecbe1998bdfd2ad

I didn't post the whole thing but this is the definition of an Adjustment Disorder in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (which for the purposes of diagnosis is the definitive resource):

A. The development of emotional or behavioral symptoms in response to an identifiable stressor(s) occurring within 3 months of the onset of the stressor(s).

B. These symptoms or behaviors are clinically significant as evidenced by either of the following:

(1) marked distress that is in excess of what would be expected from exposure to the stressor
(2) significant impairment in social or occupational (academic) functioning

So by definition if there had been a stressor within three months of Cam's symptoms starting that has caused significant distress or has meant for example that he couldn't do his job as an AFL footballer (i.e. significant impairment in occupational functioning)then this is a viable diagnosis.

Now I'm not going to go through he entire definition but to look further additional parts of the definition states:

E. Once the stressor (or its consequences) has terminated, the symptoms do not persist for more than an additional 6 months.

So basically if the stressor was not being able to live in Perth with his family and part of the consequence of this is that he can't play footy and be in Perth with his family then the consequences have not ended. If Cam does get a trade back to Perth and the stressor and the consequences of the stressor cease then by definition, if he has an adjustment disorder there is a high possibility that the disorder will also cease. In acute circumstances it can continue for longer though.

So the concept of having mental health issues and not having mental health issues is an interesting one. Depending on diagnosis and factors involved people go through transient periods of distress that would meet the criteria of a mental health disorder. If/when they recover and no longer have enough going on to have a diagnosis it doesn't mean that the disorder didn't exist. So yes, it is highly likely that Cam will function a hell of a lot better as a human being post trade but from his diagnosis that makes complete sense.

Some people have severe and enduring mental health concerns and some go through episodes of good mental health and not-so-good mental health.

Who/what caused the stressor is another discussion that I'm not getting in to and whether you believe Cam has a adjustment disorder or not will be questioned. It is completely reasonable though that Cam developed an adjustment disorder due to the situation that would have effected his ability to be an AFL footballer and that resolving the current situation will result in improved mental health for him.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back