Analysis Carlton - Has there ever been a team with as many traded-in players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Well considering how much has been spoken about all our traded in players... I'd say Cripps, Walsh, Weitering, Mckay, Curnow, Fisher, Obrien, TDK and Durdin is a bloody good home grown nucleus to build around.

Mcgovern and Martin are finishing up next season so really the only big contract we're left with is Williams.

Cerra, Saad and Hewett aren't on any ridiculous contracts, just pretty standard for their output while being integral players for the team.

Well considering how much has been spoken about all our traded in players... I'd say Cripps, Walsh, Weitering, Mckay, Curnow, Fisher, Obrien, TDK and Durdin is a bloody good home grown nucleus to build around.

Mcgovern and Martin are finishing up next season so really the only big contract we're left with is Williams.

Cerra, Saad and Hewett aren't on any ridiculous contracts, just pretty standard for their output while being integral players for the team.
Once again though who cares. Could have 44 players who had been at other clubs if we are successful.

Alas, we don't and much of the side (including out best 5 players) came via the draft.

Once again though who cares. Could have 44 players who had been at other clubs if we are successful.

Alas, we don't and much of the side (including out best 5 players) came via the draft.
Agreed. Half of the players we traded in have been here for years and years and any 'over paying' we would have done to get them over would be long past. Docherty, Newman, Kennedy etc. May as well have been drafted here as nearly their entire senior careers have been with us.

They were the *concessions" the league gave to the Bears to start them up....
Worst concessions handed out for any new expansion side in draft and salary cap era.
Yep they mainly got players no one wanted. Either players at the end of their careers or young blokes that were rejects

Yep they mainly got players no one wanted. Either players at the end of their careers or young blokes that were rejects
I have a feeling we took the piss out of it the most.
I think we handed a player to Bears that was heading to USA to study.
I think you had to give the Bears 3 players or something.

I have a feeling we took the piss out of it the most.
I think we handed a player to Bears that was heading to USA to study.
I think you had to give the Bears 3 players or something.
Well Brisbane only had 35 players like west coast did. Yeah each of the 12 clubs were forced to hand over 2 players. Then Brisbane got 5 picks in the National draft. Then they got access to 5 SANFL players.

Well Brisbane only had 35 players like west coast did. Yeah each of the 12 clubs were forced to hand over 2 players. Then Brisbane got 5 picks in the National draft. Then they got access to 5 SANFL players.
No on the list size to start with. That was just West Coast with 35 or so to start.
They both had very different concessions to start up with.
Bears had over 45 players on list to start.

A few links about it...
"Each of the current VFL Clubs were instructed to provide 3 players of their list to the incoming Brisbane Bears for Season 1987, to assist the new team form a competitive list. These 3 players each had to have either played senior football during 1986, or had played in the 1986 Reserves Finals. Carlton, as Reigning VFL Reserves Premiers, would appear to have had a strong list to choose from.

Carlton would first offer to Brisbane the following 3 players:

Only Kenny would make it to Brisbane, and play a game, but in the ensuing discussions over Carlton's 'Three Bears' Neil Gaghan would also agree to go to Brisbane.

David Glascott's brother, Stuart (an ex- Carlton Under 19's player), would also play seniors with Brisbane in 1987, but was not part of the deal"

From the wonderful site Blueseum

Last edited:

You think Jack Martin is retiring at 28?

(Preface: This post ended up way longer than I intended)
----------------------------------------------------------------

Never made a post on the mainboard, howdy and hope all are well. This may have already been brought up before and if so I apologise.

I should mention that I'm not taking the piss out of Carlton here, I'm just genuinely curious if there is a stat anywhere for this.

When Cerra comes back in for round 3 and with the likely swap of McDonald (Melb) for Young (Dogs), Carlton's 22 will be even more heavily made up of players from other teams.

I'm not a Blues fan so I might be wrong on this, but here is a mock-up of their best 26, not too far off what they will be fielding this weekend. Those in bold are players acquired from other clubs:

B: Marchbank, Weitering, Docherty
HB: Williams
, McGovern, Saad
C:
Walsh, Cripps, Fisher
HF: Martin, C. Curnow, Durdin
F: Silvagni, McKay, Cuningham
R: Pittonet, Cerra, Kennedy
Int:
De Koning, Hewett, O'Brien, E. Curnow

emg: Setterfield, Newman, Williamson, Dow

In the best 22 alone there are ten players traded in. Five of the players Carlton did draft were top 10 picks, two of which were pick 1, two were top 10 picks, and then lastly Cripps was almost top ten (pick 13 but may as well have been pick 1 or 2, only Bontempelli rivals him from that draft).

I left out guys like McDonald, Young, Plowman, Newnes, and Stocker, all in my mind probably just as worthy of being an emergency as the guys I put there, and perhaps Blues fans even see some of them as being best 26 or even best 22 worthy. Well... even four of those five were traded in.

Again, I'm not having a crack I'm just genuinely curious if there is a stat anywhere for the team that fielded (or had on their list in any given year) the most players that were not originally drafted by the club?

Just for reference - and also to get ahead of anyone who potentially has a stab at Richmond for me making this post - the Tigers fielded five players in the 2019 Grand Final not originally drafted by the club; Bachar Houli, Josh Caddy, Tom Lynch, Toby Nankervis, and Dion Prestia. Carlton might comparably be able to say something similar about any number of their trade-ins, but it's worth noting that of those Richmond five, three were on the scrap heap anyway (Houli, Caddy, and Nankervis) with their respective clubs, so weren't exactly "poached".

Anyhow, Carlton is looking very strong both on paper and on-field at the moment, but wow, I don't know that I've ever seen such a diverse 22, such a mix of super-high draft picks plus traded-in players. Surely their time is now?

I think at this point it has become very astute list management, but I imagine some might think differently.

Lastly, they must have the most stretched salary cap in the league now surely? All of Weitering, Williams, Saad, Walsh, Cripps, McKay, Cerra and if not now (due to injury) then soon C. Curnow, would be on fairly massive coin?

Anyway cheers, one more time I'll say this is not a stab at your team, you've genuinely been exciting to watch so far this season, all the best.
You've done what every Carlton supporter has.
Leave out PLOWMAN

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Norrh in the seventies with the ten-year rule might give the title a shake, especially if you include players recruited from the SANFL or WAFL. So would our mid-eighties side.
Would not really count interstate recruits as not played for club in this league before.
In any case, neither comes close. Quick glimpse of AFL tables show North thing is not in massive numbers from other clubs. Looks like John Rantall, Barry Davis and Doug Wade are the free agents from other clubs.
I think none of it compares to mid and late 80's or 90's and now.
Carlton early 80's team only look to have Wells from Melbourne, Perovic from Saints and Bortolotto from Cats. Most players from club zones, or interstate recruits that never played in this league with other clubs. i remember you would tend to see 2 or 3 recruits from WAFL and SANFL each year back then.
Klomp one year, Maylin another etc etc.
Hunter and Bosustow from WAFL in one year of 1981. Ditchburn the next.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back