Analysis Carlton - Has there ever been a team with as many traded-in players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Once again, he has no idea.
Most of our draft capital been used on the likes of Cripps, Weitering, McKay, Curnow, Cuningham, O'Brien, Fisher, Walsh, Stocker, TDK etc etc. that are the foundation of the team now.

I never said how much value simply how often you’ve been to that well (GWS) over the years.

Isn’t it something like 13 players from GWS alone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I can only think of Saad and Cerra where any meaningful draft capital used and if he trying to claim Cerra is s**t, he really has no clue.
I'd be more worried of draft capital his own club spent on Dylan Shiel and Devon Smith and lack of return on that in terms of impact on field.

I’ve taken my concerns of my own club to the relevant thread champ.

Stop deflecting

I never said how much value
Rubbish!
You said draft capital wasted which shows how little clue you have and throw away line as the draft capital has been used on likes of Weitering, McKay, Curnow that are the spine of side now. That is not wasted Yody. That is investment in absolute gun spine. Anything but wasted you clown.

Rubbish!
You said draft capital wasted which shows how little clue you have and throw away line as the draft capital has been used on likes of Weitering, McKay, Curnow that are the spine of side now. That is not wasted Yody. That is investment in absolute gun spine. Anything but wasted you clown.

However you interpreted my post is up to you but the name calling is just bitterness in your character shining through.

I never stated the worth of said draft capital now try again

However you interpreted my post is up to you
the back peddling is amusing...
how much draft capital Carlton have spent on bringing in s**t players

Harry McKay, Charlie Curnow, Jacob Weitering and Sam Walsh and the like say hi to your back peddling attempts...

I never said how much value simply how often you’ve been to that well (GWS) over the years.

Isn’t it something like 13 players from GWS alone?

it could be 20 GWS players for all I care, wonderful start to the season, wouldn't you say

Showing my age but Sydney in the 80’s when the good doctor was in charge had a few as well.
Not really part of draft and cap era so player transfers were still a thing back then and last hurrah of it before draft era was truly underway.
Think the doc tried to get Maurice Rioli from you guys too.
He extracted Toohey, Bolton, Williams and coach Hafey from Cats to help their club finances.
Jim Edmond from Dogs, Merv Neagle from Dons, Healy from Demons and Coleman from Lions
Never seen anything like it before or since.
Never seen an off season like the one before 1986 season.

the back peddling is amusing...

Harry McKay, Charlie Curnow, Jacob Weitering and Sam Walsh and the like say hi to your back peddling attempts...

Comprehension really isn’t a strong suit amongst Carlton supporters is it

Firstly who cares how many traded in players you have if it works.

Secondly, as our full rebuild began after FA and general player movement has been higher than ever before means more clubs will do similar in future.

Bring in kids, frontload contracts, and target players in via trades after that.

It’s an easy assumption with how much draft capital Carlton have spent on bringing in s**t players over the years.

s**t players specifically. Mostly 3rd and 4th rounders. The only time we have wasted valuable draft capital was probably pick 13 for gov. So in response to your statement not a lot of draft capital unless you value picks in the 40s and 50s highly.

Firstly who cares how many traded in players you have if it works.

Secondly, as our full rebuild began after FA and general player movement has been higher than ever before means more clubs will do similar in future.

Bring in kids, frontload contracts, and target players in via trades after that.
You do not always frontload contracts.
You do it situations where your list profile allows like the circumstances with Jack Martin a couple of summers back.
You need a balanced way of everything which thankfully is how this has been done for most part.
Build through the draft and add in where you can via free agency and trades with always an eye on future with how to manage player contracts and salary cap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

s**t players specifically. Mostly 3rd and 4th rounders. The only time we have wasted valuable draft capital was probably pick 13 for gov. So in response to your statement not a lot of draft capital unless you value picks in the 40s and 50s highly.

As I noted previously, picks as low as the 70’s hold value hence the word ‘capital’ (value).

Old mate over here can’t seem to grasp this.

For what it’s worth, as per my initial comment, Carlton have probably ‘spent’ more on players from other teams than any other. This is including ones not on the list anymore.

As I noted previously, picks as low as the 70’s hold value hence the word ‘capital’ (value).

Old mate over here can’t seem to grasp this.

For what it’s worth, as per my initial comment, Carlton have probably ‘spent’ more on players from other teams than any other. This is including ones not on the list anymore.

Cost versus reward, great start to the season, wouldn't you say

You think a bloke whos been on the injury list for 3 years getting paid boatloads of cash to sit on the sidelines is going to turn his back on the club thats taken care of him and that his brother plays for because his next contract wont be as large?

200.gif

I just randomly clicked on Saints game from last season.
Round 3 team in 2021
had Josh Battle and Jack Steele from GWS
Jack Higgins and Dan Butler from Richmond
Mason Wood from North
Shaun McKernan from Dons and Crows
Jake Carlisle from Dons
Brad Crouch from Crows
Brad Hill from Dockers and Dawks
Zak Jones from Swans
Tim Membrey from Swans
Dougal Howard from Powder

Also had Ryder, Kent, Hannebery, Paul Hunter and James Frawley that played in some other games in the season.

Lienert from Port another guy likely to play games this season for them.
For those that like the links it down below.
Someone else had Hawks team of last year with similar amount but none will ever be close to the record.
But for OP, two seconds is all it took to consider round 1 , 1987 of Bears which would be the most players ever in one team from other clubs.
Cannot imagine any other scenario where a team has 85% of team line-up be players recruited from other clubs in the league.

11 or 12 in this era is only just above 50% of any team line-up.

St Kilda

FB
Jake Carlisle, Dougal Howard, Callum Wilkie

HB
Jack Sinclair, Josh Battle, Hunter Clark

C
Jack Billings, Zak Jones, Bradley Hill

HF
Dan Butler, Jack Higgins, Jade Gresham

FF
Daniel McKenzie, Max King, Tim Membrey

FOL
Shaun McKernan, Sebastian Ross, Jack Steele

IC
Nick Coffield, Brad Crouch, Jack Lonie, Mason Wood

Bears round one team can be found at

Worth noting that while Kennedy (19 - in 2 seasons), Setterfield (2 - in 2 seasons), Marchbank (7 - in 2 seasons), Plowman (20 - in 3 seasons), Young (24 - in 5 seasons) and Fogarty (23 - in 3 seasons) are technically all from other teams, the 6 players all played a combined 95 games over 17 combined seasons for their previous clubs. So it's not like it was targeting established best 22 players, especially at the start of the build. They were injured, fringe or looking for opportunities.

One of SOS's finest moments.
One of other fun ones was trade of Henderson to Cats for their next season 1st rounder and then we on traded that in another trade to GWS for pick 8 of 2015 draft along that with 4 GWS fringe players of which Plowman was one but that pick 8 that was the actual draft capital become Harry McKay :)
That draft with Weitering, McKay, Curnow, Cuningham and Silvagni was where all foundations of the build were set up.

St Kilda

FB
Jake Carlisle, Dougal Howard, Callum Wilkie

HB
Jack Sinclair, Josh Battle, Hunter Clark

C
Jack Billings, Zak Jones, Bradley Hill

HF
Dan Butler, Jack Higgins, Jade Gresham

FF
Daniel McKenzie, Max King, Tim Membrey

FOL
Shaun McKernan, Sebastian Ross, Jack Steele

IC
Nick Coffield, Brad Crouch, Jack Lonie, Mason Wood

Bears round one team can be found at
Great example.

How is that St. Kilda team faring and do you expect them to contend for premierships?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back