Preview Changes and prematch discussion vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

If you're a betting man, 5 each for Curnow and McKay is looking juicy right about now
What about bets for the remaining three quarters

Time to throw the magnets around and actually try something.

I’d send Larkey to CHB in lieu of McKay. Corr can play FB. Walker can have a spell, he’s rubbish.

Comben and CCJ come both come in as our forward combo.

Need to drop a ruckman. Xerri has a spell. I’d give Goldy first ruck, for a couple of weeks, if he’s still rubbish then Xerri comes in for the rest of the season and Goldy retires.

I’m not sure we need Turner doing nothing? He can have a spell.

Sorry Mahoney lovers, he’s rubbish too. He can have a spell.

The small forward combo does nothing. Let move Atu forward. TT to a HBF to be our seagull, feed him at every opportunity. Sleevo on ball / wing as he can actually rack it up.

In summary:

Out: Walker (delist), McKay (susp), Turner (omit), Mahoney (omit) Xerri (managed)

In: CCJ, Comben, Powell, Sleevo, Ford

FB - Young - Corr - Perez
HB - McDonald - Larkey - Thomas
C - Powell - LDU - Sleevo
HF - JHF - Comben - JZ
FF- Atu - CCJ - P Curtis
R - Goldy - Simpkin - Greenwood
Int - Taylor - Zurharr - Scott - Ford
Atu over Mahony? WOW!

Have you actually been watching what Atu has been producing? Stengle made him his personal bitch for 3 quarters and Noble had no alternative but to get him out the defence. That was on the back of Weightman making a fool of him for a quarter before he had to be moved.

The guy is a turnip and you are suggesting he stay in the side on what basis?

We already know what the selectors will run with....

Out: Mckay (Suspension)
In: Bonar

and we will be crucified.

BUT, we should get to the match to at least look like a proud supporter base. Otherwise we will be further crucified by media and more push to have us fold to Tasmania

We already know what the selectors will run with....

Out: Mckay (Suspension)
In: Bonar

and we will be crucified.

BUT, we should get to the match to at least look like a proud supporter base. Otherwise we will be further crucified by media and more push to have us fold to Tasmania
I’m going out of sufferance. It’s one of the first times in a long time that I actually do not want to turn up.

2-3 hours of this garbage is going to be painful.

Ok now the red mist has descended to more of a pink hue

Out: McKay (susp), X (omit), Mahoney (out of form), Atu
In: Chom, Bergman, Powell, Ford.

None of this is ideal

I think we need to run with Walker/Corr as key back

Chom and Ford to give some making assistance to Larkey

Powell to run with Walsh , if he’s around the ball he should get some

Goldy handed the gauntlet

Ok now the red mist has descended to more of a pink hue

In: Chom, Bergman, Powell, Ford.

None of this is ideal

I think we need to run with Walker/Corr as key back

Chom and Ford to give some making assistance to Larkey

Powell to run with Walsh , if he’s around the ball he should get some

Goldy handed the gauntlet
I wouldn’t care if they threw the magnets around this week to see if they can find something. It’s going to be a slaughter anyway, so may as well try and get something from it.

If we don’t appeal McKay and he is out, I would also look at bringing in McGuiness as coverage, even though he was average in the VFL.

Scott can make way, as Carlton will feast off his unpressured turnovers.

We could look at something like this.

Turner - Walker - McDonald
Thomas - Corr - Perez
Taylor - LDU - Stephenson
Zurhaar - Comben - Ford
Ziebell - Larkey - Curtis

Goldstein - Simpkin - Horne-Francis

Int - Powell, Bergman, Greenwood, McGuiness

If they really wanted to throw them around I would even think about playing CCJ up forward and Comben down back and removing Turner or McGuiness. Give Comben a crash course in defending and see what happens? He can’t be any worse than Walker and Corr just doesn’t scream KPD.

Thomas off half back might give him some protection from getting a battering in the midfield with his current soreness.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t care if they threw the magnets around this week to see if they can find something. It’s going to be a slaughter anyway, so may as well try and get something from it.

If we don’t appeal McKay and he is out, I would also look at bringing in McGuiness as coverage, even though he was average in the VFL.

Scott can make way, as Carlton will feast off his unpressured turnovers.

We could look at something like this.

Turner - Walker - McDonald
Thomas - Corr - Perez
Zurhaar - Comben - Ford
Ziebell - Larkey - Curtis

Goldstein - Simpkin - Horne-Francis

Int - Powell, Bergman, Greenwood, McGuiness

If they really wanted to throw them around I would even think about playing CCJ up forward and Comben down back and removing Turner or McGuiness.

Thomas off half back might give him some protection from getting a battering in the midfield.
I think bringing McGuinness would set him up for failure I do think we cop Corr/walker. Ok we cop losing height, let’s bring in speed, hence Bergman

Scott has been ok. We barely can run and losing him would hurt us.

I did forget Stevo swap him and ford from my team.

I think trying Thomas back is a good move

In: Chom, Bergman, Powell, Stevo.

I think bringing McGuinness would set him up for failure I do think we cop Corr/walker. Ok we cop losing height, let’s bring in speed, hence Bergman

Scott has been ok. We barely can run and losing him would hurt us.

I did forget Stevo swap him and ford from my team.

I think trying Thomas back is a good move

In: Chom, Bergman, Powell, Stevo.
I disagree on Scott. His turnovers are slaughtering us and they are mostly unpressured.

I wouldn’t bring McGuiness in as the starting key back, he starts in the bench and can rotate with the backs as required.

Moving Comben to defence as an experiment would mean you could leave out McGuiness and could bring in CCJ and use him a your second ruckman.

It’s pretty much a shitshow and we are trying to cobble a team together with some very average players.

If Comben was to play down back I could see it looking something like this.

McDonald - Walker - Corr
Thomas - Comben - Perez
Zurhaar - Larkey - Ford
Ziebell - CCJ - Curtis

Goldstein - Simpkin - Horne- Francis

Int - Greenwood, Powell, Bergman. The last spot on the bench can be a combination of Turner (would love to drop him), Young, Scott, McGuiness, Mahony or whoever they think can play a role?

Can we play one short on the bench? LOL

Having Thomas, McDonald and Perez in your back 6 hopefully improves the ball use out of there as well. Perez is a bit of a leap of faith as I thought he was pretty poor on Sunday, but his ball use is a lot better than others we have tried.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree on Scott. His turnovers are slaughtering us and they are mostly unpressured.

I wouldn’t bring McGuiness in as the starting key back, he starts in the bench and can rotate with the backs as required.

Moving Comben to defence as an experiment would mean you could leave out McGuiness and could bring in CCJ and use him a your second ruckman.

It’s pretty much a shitshow and we are trying to cobble a team together with some very average players.

If Comben was to play down back I could see it looking something like this.

McDonald - Walker - Corr
Thomas - Comben - Perez
Zurhaar - Larkey - Ford
Ziebell - CCJ - Curtis

Goldstein - Simpkin - Horne- Francis

Int - Greenwood, Powell, Bergman. The last spot on the bench can be a combination of Turner (would love to drop him), Young, Scott, McGuiness, Mahony or whoever they think can play a role?

Can we play one short on the bench? LOL
If you are dropping Scott for turnovers then there are a couple of other players who I don’t want to name because I’m trying to be fair and not keep banging on about. Those individuals had just as bad turnovers leading to oppo goals and would be expected to be better. I think his running and endeavour has been way better than most of the team. For me he stays, but bloody hell he needs to put on some size.

Of all people I want Comben to stay fwd. he has demonstrated at vfl level he is a great contested mark and I think that will give Larkey more freedom to play to his strengths of smart leading.

If you are dropping Scott for turnovers then there are a couple of other players who I don’t want to name because I’m trying to be fair and not keep banging on about. Those individuals had just as bad turnovers leading to oppo goals and would be expected to be better. I think his running and endeavour has been way better than most of the team. For me he stays, but bloody hell he needs to put on some size.

Of all people I want Comben to stay fwd. he has demonstrated at vfl level he is a great contested mark and I think that will give Larkey more freedom to play to his strengths of smart leading.
Comben is probably a better forward, but in this current mess it couldn’t hurt to try.

We have seen plenty of forwards go on to become great backmen. Tarrant was an example of a forward who became an AA level (even though he didn’t get the nod) when switched from forward to defence.

Also I have a feeling they will want to bring CCJ back in as the 2nd Ruck to help Goldy. This way Comben plays regardless if that is the plan? It’s an experiment only and who knows it might last a week and he might be garbage at it?

Scott can take the last bench spot, it’s really coming down to a who is the best of the worst thing for the last spot. Also dropping Turner wouldn’t be a bad thing and sends a strong message.

Comben is probably a better forward, but in this current mess it couldn’t hurt to try.

We have seen plenty of forwards go on to become great backmen. Tarrant was an example of a forward who became an AA level (even though he didn’t get the nod) when switched from forward to defence.

Also I have a feeling they will want to bring CCJ back in as the 2nd Ruck to help Goldy. This way Comben plays regardless if that is the plan? It’s an experiment only and who knows it might last a week and he might be garbage at it?

Scott can take the last bench spot, it’s really coming down to a who is the best of the worst thing for the last spot. Also dropping Turner wouldn’t be a bad thing and sends a strong message.
I see the logic re: comben but I just think to give him the fwd spot first, usually those fwds that go back struggled as a fwd first. More importantly I truly think he compliments Larkey perfectly.

CCJs vfl game probably gives him inside track on next in.

Again Scott has deserved his spot. With Turner I do think the club is trying to shoehorn him in. I’m not sure where he fits to be honest

Out: Mckay - Xerri - Turner - Mahoney
In : McGuinness - Callum Coleman Jones - Powell - Stephenson

FB - Ziebell - Corr - McGuinness
HB - McDonald - Walker - Young
C - Powell - LDU - Perez
HF - Jason Horne-Francis - Zurhaar - Thomas
FF- Stephenson - Larkey - P.Curtis
R - Goldstein - Simpkin - Greenwood
Int - C.Taylor - Atu - CCJ - Scott

Lets try Goldy as no.1 ruck this week with CCJ backing him up/swing fwd at times.
Why are we playing Xerri if he hasn't signed yet?

I would be putting pen to paper with him (if we want him) now or he can rot in the 2's. We play CCJ for the rest of the year.

I would be putting pen to paper with him (if we want him) now or he can rot in the 2's. We play CCJ for the rest of the year.
It’s not unusual to put off talks to end of the year, most likely reason is that he wants to negotiate after a run of games and earn a better deal.

Even if we punt him we could get more in a trade if he had played most the year

It’s not unusual to put off talks to end of the year, most likely reason is that he wants to negotiate after a run of games and earn a better deal.

Even if we punt him we could get more in a trade if he had played most the year
I just don’t think we can be worried about his contract situation in the context of team selection; X didn’t win a clearance on the weekend, CCJ had a good game. There’s a logical outcome

I see the logic re: comben but I just think to give him the fwd spot first, usually those fwds that go back struggled as a fwd first. More importantly I truly think he compliments Larkey perfectly.

CCJs vfl game probably gives him inside track on next in.

Again Scott has deserved his spot. With Turner I do think the club is trying to shoehorn him in. I’m not sure where he fits to be honest
That was sort of my point, with McKay missing it gives Comben an opportunity to play at AFL level.

It’s only an experiment as we have nothing to lose.

The benefits of that experiment is that if it looks to have merit then it gives you options and means that we aren’t reliant on Walker.

Also can you imagine having a player like Comben being able to swing back or forward depending on the game situation.

That was sort of my point, with McKay missing it gives Comben an opportunity to play at AFL level.

It’s only an experiment as we have nothing to lose.

The benefits of that experiment is that if it looks to have merit then it gives you options and means that we aren’t reliant on Walker.

Also can you imagine having a player like Comben being able to swing back or forward depending on the game situation.
Sure like I said I get the logic, and there is a lot of logic to it.

Because he wanted to leave already from a lack of opportunity, letting him rot away again for a year and lose him for nothing wouldn't be the solution. At least this way we can see if it's worth keeping him with an extended run at it, or if he shows enough, we can get something ok if he does end up leaving.

Because he wanted to leave already from a lack of opportunity, letting him rot away again for a year and lose him for nothing wouldn't be the solution. At least this way we can see if it's worth keeping him with an extended run at it, or if he shows enough, we can get something ok if he does end up leaving.
I’m not against giving him games, but there also has to be some return from him. He can’t expect just to be given games on the back of what he dished up on Sunday.

Didn't we offer a contract to him last year and he said no? Isn't he out of contract at seasons end and we can't trade him anyway? We offer him a contract now - today - or he can feck off. We paid huge for CCJ so we should give him the rest of the year to find form and get him ready for next year. What happens if Goldy retires or leaves and X decides he wants to go to the Saints like last year (they will have a spot for him). We need to put games into CCJ now because he or X is our ruck combo or CCJ will be all we have.

Didn't we offer a contract to him last year and he said no? Isn't he out of contract at seasons end and we can't trade him anyway? We offer him a contract now - today - or he can feck off. We paid huge for CCJ so we should give him the rest of the year to find form and get him ready for next year. What happens if Goldy retires or leaves and X decides he wants to go to the Saints like last year (they will have a spot for him). We need to put games into CCJ now because he or X is our ruck combo or CCJ will be all we have.
I think the St Kilda ship partly sailed with Hayes being brought in. I’m not sure X would be stupid enough to put himself behind Marshall, Hayes (depending on recovery from the ACL) and Ryder (before he retires)? He would have more of a shot at making it with us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back