Preview Changes: R17 vs Essendon

If Tex is out injured who do you think will come in for him?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You should check what some of Carlton's players say of their former coach in Malthouse :p

Brock McLean wasn't too positive on Dean Bailey either but for the most part, your statement is true.
Our past players were happy to pour crap on Gary Ayers

Our listed team has us shifting Mackay back to cover Brown. Murphy in allowing Berry or Schoenberg more up the field

Forward line with both Himmelberg and Frampton is disgusting

Do you like the way that respect for seniority finds its way to the team sheet. Dmac named at half back, Junior Jones whole been playing must be named on the pine.

They HAD to bring Murphy in if they brought Berg in.

They shouldn't have brought Berg in.

The Murphy call stands alone as a fine call. 2 tune ups in the 2s, so he plays. It's great they haven't bought Lynch in, big tick. As posted by me, they're petrified of being a tall short in the forward line, so one of Fog and Berg were always going to come in. They could have tried a debutant or given Fish a crack or even Murrayvwith Worrell coming in to play KPD. But not when 4 points are on offer, years in the system count.

As always, Mackay over Hamill is putrid, but that's what happens when the 4 points is the most important thing this weekend and you have a philosophy that believes that a 4/10 game from a veteran provides more value than a 4/10 kid with less than 20 games.

When it comes to blatant tanking we're flying close to the sun on this one.

if onky it was true. Fog is not being considered due to learning a lesson or 2. Nicks believes in a 3 tall forward line which is why he selects one every single week and Doedee was thrown down there when Tex went off. To get the 4 points this week, Nicks has selected the forward line that he believes gives him the best chance.

We don't tank, we don't sacrifice the now for the future. We preach 'selection integrity'. Our philosophies have remained consistent. We highly value experience and continuity. To drop Frampton would mean 2 key forward changes this week and going even less experienced, that's simply not up for discussion.

we haven't made a single selection call that has prioritised development ahead of this week's 4 points yet, why would we start now. As soon as the oldies are ready, they were aways going to come in and replace junior players. It's a strategy that comes from above coaching groups, it's a overarching club philosophy. It's why changing coaches makes no difference to selection philosophy.
Livin’ in the past

Given Murphy laid 13 tackles and has some sort of intent to pressure in our forward line that selection is a no brainer given we haven’t got anyone else like that unfort
He also barely got his hands on it. Didn't seem like he was ready to go up a grade.

Ego put above the right result.

Frampton retained, despite not being an AFL footballer and no signs that he could ever be one, because the selectors too proud to admit that last week's move was a mistake. Better give it another week.

we haven't made a single selection call that has prioritised development ahead of this week's 4 points yet, why would we start now. As soon as the oldies are ready, they were aways going to come in and replace junior players. It's a strategy that comes from above coaching groups, it's a overarching club philosophy. It's why changing coaches makes no difference to selection philosophy.
Which model are you basing the constant bashing of our rebuild on 1970? Which club did it right in your benefit-of-hindsight view?

Hawks in 2000s? 2013 Eagles? Current Demons? I'm curious which real world successful method you are using as your launch pad for these posts?

I understand the questioning of selections - sure, some make your head spin - but the extrapolations are a bit much imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boy, i'm super flat on those changes. Himmelberg and Frampton in the same side? Vomit!

Can't help but feel like this is the first stage of 'The Elegant Tank!'
1625785271543.png

Yep. We can think of it as tanking because it's ******* Frampton and Himmelberg, but this is the "best 22" in the selectors' minds. If Lynch had one more SANFL game under his belt he'd have been in too.

Calling this tanking gives it too much credit.

It just looks like Tex is injured, Lynch isn't ready (who unfortunately is the best 1 for 1 replacement for Tex) and we've panicked, trying to replicate what he brings to the table through two below average key forwards.

It's certainly making a compelling case that we really need to draft a key forward in the 2nd round this year.

Frampton can't kick, Fogarty can't do anything except kick.

Give me the player who isn't a lazy ****, and who at least competes and brings the ball to ground (thereby bringing our smalls into the game), every day of the week.

** As previously stated, there is no good option here. Billy is a bad option, Fog & Berg are worse.

Give me two goals from 3 Fog kicks in a game vs six games of zero goals from Billy. Thanks

Three 200cm forwards. Two of which cannot take a grab. Just think how easily Hind and co will rebound the ball out of our forward line under the roof at Marvel.

They may kick a cricket score...

I think we're making a late season dash at Horne. It is the only explanation for these selections...

Himmelberg in, while Frampton also stays in the team?

Below is Ben Rutten's reaction when seeing our selected team...

Accepting that Billy/Berg is a bad combination (but no worse than Billy/Fog, and better than Fog/Berg), the question is what would have been a better outcome?

I'll work with the club's assumption that Lynch needs another go in the SANFL, to gain match fitness, so I won't consider him as an option.

My preference would have been to replace Walker with a small/medium forward, instead of another sub-par tall. I'm thinking Cook or Gollant, both of whom would be making their AFL debut. Alternatively, I would have considered Hamill or (less preferred) McPherson for Brown, and Murphy for Walker. I fail to see how either of these options is less preferable than bringing in one of our underperforming tall forwards.

The simple fact is that we have 3x young tall forwards who are all failing at present. TT looks outstanding, for a KPF in his first season - but the other 3 are pure dross. We desperately need to draft 1 or 2 tall forwards, because none of Billy/Berg/Fog look like making it at present.

Back