Preview Changes: R6 2021 v Hawthorn in Tasmania

Remove this Banner Ad

Makes no sense why we gave a player that Powaa was about to delist a 4 year deal. What did they see from those 3 underwhelming games over a 5 year period that justified a 4 year deal? Even If it's 50k a year it still makes no sense why we gave him that deal. I don't blame a spud player trying to rip off an AFL club. Good luck to him if a club is stupid enough to pay him. I blame the idiot club. How can the person responsible still be employed at the club if this is what they are coming up with?
I read above that Frampton was given a 2-year contract with an option for a third. Can anyone confirm, please?
I don't know who controls that option, him or the Club.

Re Frampton:
If he needs some inspiration/motivation, he should look at Ben Keays who has made a real fist of his opportunity with the Crows after only 30 games with Brisbane in 4 seasons. Keays' endeavour is admirable, his positioning elite, even if his disposal needs work (he tries too often to get on his preferred left foot, so needs to develop his right). Keays would be one of our first-selected players now, and is one of our best-8. He moves and goes in hard and can really football.
Both players have been given a lifeline, a second chance, which seems to have fired Keays up.
I don't want to be a Frampton-critic, in fact, I'd love for him to succeed, for himself and for the Crows, but he looks clumsy, his positioning is awful, he doesn't create and just doesn't look AFL-level to me based on his last 4 games.

Re Frampton:
If he needs some inspiration/motivation, he should look at Ben Keays who has made a real fist of his opportunity with the Crows after only 30 games with Brisbane in 4 seasons. Keays' endeavour is admirable, his positioning elite, even if his disposal needs work (he tries too often to get on his preferred left foot, so needs to develop his right). Keays would be one of our first-selected players now, and is one of our best-8. He moves and goes in hard and can really football.
Both players have been given a lifeline, a second chance, which seems to have fired Keays up.
I don't want to be a Frampton-critic, in fact, I'd love for him to succeed, for himself and for the Crows, but he looks clumsy, his positioning is awful, he doesn't create and just doesn't look AFL-level to me based on his last 4 games.
The way I see is that for all my dislike of powaa they generally know how to develop a player(at least in recent times) and if he was only given 3 games over 5 years that says to me that they had a lot of misgivings with him. From memory powaa weren't a good team during that period either and i'm actually surprised they kept him on their list for that time but he must have been on base wage I presume. They also rarely let a player go with talent. Howard is a recent example who they definitely wanted to keep but Wingard, Polec etc they wanted out. We should never be offering a player 3 years when they have played 3 games in a 5 year period. Which other club was offering him more than 1 year? Tbh honest he would have been lucky to have been picked up as a rookie at another club.

Who rucks if ROB was to get injured in the first quarter?
Every team faces that problem, every week. Who rucks if their first option goes down early? In fact, it applies to all of their best players --- what do we do if X gets injured early? Worse, what do we do if X and Y go down? (and so on)
This is where players with flexibility who can play multiple roles are invaluable. In the first half of 1997, Blight played quite a few blokes out of "their" position to create that flexibility, I believe.
However, I doubt that selections are based upon your question. It's impossible to plan for all contingencies.
Selectors only select on the basis of who can relieve the first choice ruckman now and then, on the basis that he will need a break occasionally. That player doesn't have to be a top-shelf ruckman (or he would be first ruck with another side), just someone who can compete or provide a challenge to the oppo ruckman and maybe bring the ball down occasionally to our mids' advantage which would be a bonus.

Every team faces that problem, every week. Who rucks if their first option goes down early? In fact, it applies to all of their best players --- what do we do if X gets injured early? Worse, what do we do if X and Y go down? (and so on)
This is where players with flexibility who can play multiple roles are invaluable. In the first half of 1997, Blight played quite a few blokes out of "their" position to create that flexibility, I believe.
However, I doubt that selections are based upon your question. It's impossible to plan for all contingencies.
Selectors only select on the basis of who can relieve the first choice ruckman now and then, on the basis that he will need a break occasionally. That player doesn't have to be a top-shelf ruckman (or he would be first ruck with another side), just someone who can compete or provide a challenge to the oppo ruckman and maybe bring the ball down occasionally to our mids' advantage which would be a bonus.
As you say, coaches train their players to have the flexibility to play multiple roles. I have no doubt that the coaches would go through a "what if" scenario, coming up with options for what to do if each of their key players get injured.

If they are unable to identify any viable options, then I guess they would change the team selection, giving them at least one option.

Who rucks if ROB was to get injured in the first quarter?
Tex, or whoever. I wouldn't pick a player just for that scenario unless they are best 22.

What if we lose a bowler on day 1, we'd better pick a batter who can bowl over the guy who is a better batter.

You had me... until you said "Fog into his role". Fog is not capable of playing Lynch's role. Lynch needs a rest, but Fog cannot play his role.
I’d throw Riley T in the lynch role.. have fog still playing forward and continue with his midfield work too..

RT has been playing on a wing in the SANFL and definately has the tank and skills to play the lynch type work up the ground and be the connector role.

RT can then also chop out in the ruck.. so we dump frampton and bring in another small/medium sized mid/forward to replace him..

lynch is clearly injured and restricted in his movement.. its a joke to continue picking him.

Last edited:
You had me... until you said "Fog into his role". Fog is not capable of playing Lynch's role. Lynch needs a rest, but Fog cannot play his role.
Have we tried him in that role before for an extended period? How can you categorically rule him out of that position unless he has been given a chance to show if he is capable of playing a similar role? Of course he is not going to be at the same level as Lynch straight away, but I think he can still be productive in a similar role for us now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is AFC delusional?

this is not a premiership year. So why play guys who are injured when you can get some games into the youngsters.

Perfect opportunity this week with a trip to Tassie to get the younger guys desensitised to this sort of bespoke routine of once a year games in locations like this.

Have we tried him in that role before for an extended period? How can you categorically rule him out of that position unless he has been given a chance to show if he is capable of playing a similar role? Of course he is not going to be at the same level as Lynch straight away, but I think he can still be productive in a similar role for us now.
Because Lynch's role is reliant upon his ability to gut run all day. Fogarty is barely fit enough to run out the first quarter in the midfield, there's no way he's fit enough to cover the kms that Lynch's role requires.

Makes no sense why we gave a player that Powaa was about to delist a 4 year deal. What did they see from those 3 underwhelming games over a 5 year period that justified a 4 year deal? Even If it's 50k a year it still makes no sense why we gave him that deal. I don't blame a spud player trying to rip off an AFL club. Good luck to him if a club is stupid enough to pay him. I blame the idiot club. How can the person responsible still be employed at the club if this is what they are coming up with?

We are all assuming he got his hands on the famous MacKay Photos in the 2021 preseason, but perhaps it happened before he even came to the Crows?

Because Lynch's role is reliant upon his ability to gut run all day. Fogarty is barely fit enough to run out the first quarter in the midfield, there's no way he's fit enough to cover the kms that Lynch's role requires.
Problem is Lynch can't run properly sp his biggest attribute is not currently existing...

Score Involvements 2021
58 - Tex
32 - Lynch, Seedsman
31 - Laird
30 - Keays

Goal Assists 2021
8 - Tex
6 - Laird
5 - Lynch, Seedsman
4 - Rowe, Schoenberg
Most of those goal assists for Lynch were in 1 game... before he was injured!

Which is a case for resting Lynch - no argument there. It's not a case for asking Fog to play Lynch's role.
The balance of the team should not centre around 1 player.

Tex, or whoever. I wouldn't pick a player just for that scenario unless they are best 22.

What if we lose a bowler on day 1, we'd better pick a batter who can bowl over the guy who is a better batter.
If you lose a bowler, there are other bowlers in the side. If you lose the only guy that can ruck, you have no chance of winning stoppages with our midget midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back