Opinion Chris Scott's coaching - Part II [NEW POLL ADDED]

For how long will Chris Scott be Geelong coach?

• For as long as he wants the job

• 5+ more years

• Somewhere between 2020 and 2022 (i.e. beyond his current contract)

• He will be sacked/resign in 2019

• He will be sacked/resign in 2018

• The Nuclear Option: sacked/resign in 2017

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even now Scott has 6 Premiership players on our list Hardwick has none. Quality of list, finals experience, and club culture/competence at an admin level are more than reasonable arguments for why Hardwick has struggled at times, it's also emerged he over coaches at times according to Richmond's offseason review of the coaching group so like all good coaches he can definitely improve. Never said I want Hardwick at Geelong just I think he's a good coach and when you look at the list he's had and his superior results against both Sydney and Hawthorn to Scott over the 2012-2015 period I think there's at the very least some merit to that argument.
As for Scott everybody keeps talking about all the players he's lost and the fact we've continued to play (and overwhelmingly lose) finals, well we've recruited mature age recruits to do precisely that while also supposedly developing young talent to strongly push for a flag by as Cook said '2015/16.' Did we strongly push for a flag in 2015/16? One year we finished 10th the other we lasted 10 minutes in to a Prelim - face it guys Scott has failed. Do any of you think we'll honestly push strongly for the 2017 flag?

We should've rebuilt properly, we should be in the same position as Melbourne or St Kilda right now heading up the ladder in the coming years for a genuine shot at a flag, not falling down it doomed to mediocrity for the foreseeable future.

I just feel sorry for Danger because at some point this season he's going to realise he's moved to a club with no chance of winning a Premiership in his time.:(

He has been there six full seasons been exposed to developing countless top early round draft picks and has taken the club nowhere but backwards out of the top 8 without winning a final in that time and he is a good coach? You have very little consistency in any of your evaluations of coaches in the AFL which makes you hard to take seriously.

Its not to boast but I have a better record of getting big predictions right than any other poster on this board
You predicted we'd have a dynasty more powerful than Hawthorn's last pre-season, you predicted we'd win the premiership, you predicted we'd beat Sydney in our prelim - I predicted you'd be wrong on all those counts and you were, I'll also predict you'll be wrong about us winning a flag in the next 5 years and I'll be right - that's why I'm not a popular poster on this board because I tell the truth and you tell the poor punters exactly what they want to hear.

Last edited:
He has been there six full seasons been exposed to developing countless top early round draft picks and has taken the club nowhere but backwards out of the top 8 without winning a final in that time and he is a good coach? You have very little consistency in any of your evaluations of coaches in the AFL which makes you hard to take seriously.
You have to look at list ability vs results, quite simply Hardwick had a crappy list in those years (due to the boards and Gale's interference) and he over achieved with it.

You predicted we'd have a dynasty more powerful than Hawthorn's last pre-season, you predicted we'd win the premiership, you predicted we'd beat Sydney in our prelim - I predicted you'd be wrong on all those counts and you were, I'll also predict you'll be wrong about us winning a flag in the next 5 years and I'll be right - that's why I'm not a popular poster on this board because I tell the truth and you tell the poor punters exactly what they want to hear.

Happy to compare predictions made.

2016 pre season predictions:

Gc26: we will make top 4 and compete for a premiership.

Bc: we will struggle to make the top 8.

Win for gc26.

I simply see the bigger picture than you do, all year you stuffed up prediction after prediction like a blind boxer in the dark swinging and missing everything until he finally laid a punch which was the prelim final which isn't exactly Nostradamus predicting who wins a foootball game. Does stuffing up every single prediction for 10 months then finally getting one right make you knowledgable? Proves your clueless pretty much.

I have nailed the prediction of Geelong becoming the 07-11 powerhouse before anyone else could, I have a power of analysis of detail you through evidence of your predictions simply don't possess. It would do you good to take a few notes off me on how the game and football world is.

You have to look at list ability vs results, quite simply Hardwick had a crappy list in those years (due to the boards and Gale's interference) and he over achieved with it.
He had a shitty list because he is crap at developing and is not a good tactician. Six years makes it 109% his list with a ton of top draft picks. The list is crap because he made it that way.

Happy to compare predictions made.

2016 pre season predictions:

Gc26: we will make top 4 and compete for a premiership.

Bc: we will struggle to make the top 8.

Win for gc26.

I simply see the bigger picture than you do, all year you stuffed up prediction after prediction like a blind boxer in the dark swinging and missing everything until he finally laid a punch which was the prelim final which isn't exactly Nostradamus predicting who wins a foootball game. Does stuffing up every single prediction for 10 months then finally getting one right make you knowledgable? Proves your clueless pretty much.

I have nailed the prediction of Geelong becoming the 07-11 powerhouse before anyone else could, I have a power of analysis of detail you through evidence of your predictions simply don't possess. It would do you good to take a few notes off me on how the game and football world is.
So your evidence is one prediction? I predicted the Bulldogs would win the flag after their first final, predicted they'd smash Hawthorn, predicted S. Selwood wouldn't play till half way through the season pre-season 2016, predicted Geelong to lose to Sydney and the manner in which it would happen and margin, predicted Geelong would not win the premiership, predicted Cowan would get picked for the Prelim (much to catempire's disgust.)
I got Geelong finishing second wrong (said best case scenario they could finish 4th), got J. Selwood going down hill wrong, got us not winning a final wrong.

Quite happy to admit what I got wrong unlike you, but also far exceed your record with what I got right, truthfully though this is an embarrassing puerile discussion. There are other posters on here that most likely got far more right than me but hold themselves with a quiet dignity.

He had a shitty list because he is crap at developing and is not a good tactician. Six years makes it 109% his list with a ton of top draft picks. The list is crap because he made it that way.
It's on record the board interfered down at Richmond - I wish I didn't have to repeat myself on here sooo much. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm not the Chris Scott cheer squad, but

I do. I have every year we made the eight, and others when we haven't. So, what? Believing in your team is some sort of negative? I don't think you get what the word "supporter" means, if that is the case.

Theres a difference between a "Supporter" and a "Follower" mate....

It's because we keep giving away our top picks for mature age recruits deluding ourselves that we're anywhere near a Premiership when all we are doing is setting up our club to be a dismal failure in 2/3 years time with nothing to show for it having completely destroyed our club culture by constantly bringing in mercenaries. 2017 is a draft we have to get high picks in to start the rebuild we so desperately need.
I will repeat - why do you think that we can only build by getting picks at the top of the draft. Why do you either hate, resent or overlook our recent draftees?

It's also time you dropped this mercenary crap. The idea that a professional club's culture is weakened by introducing players who really want to play for it is laughably ridiculous. Bringing new perspectives in can also be really important to preventing a culture from growing stale and being unable to see or acknowledge it's own weaknesses.

You poor simple soul, St Kilda and Melbourne will have more success than us in the next 2/3 years.
Ahh BC.........

Opinions as facts again.....

Will you ever learn..

GO Catters

And hating on your club to the point you can't accept positives puts you in a special category of your own
Its called being a Tro.... phy award winning Hawks supporter :cool:

GO Catters

Bizarre? It's just a fact! Hawthorn won 2008 through building their team like we did (once upon a time) through the draft.

Hawthorn built the list which won the flag in 2008 by finishing bottom 4 in 2004 and 2005 and loading up on top 5 draft picks like Franklin, Roughead and Lewis. Geelong haven't finished bottom 4 in 30 years. Bit of a difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As well as wanting to be close to family (Dangerfield, Selwood), having a greater chance of being best 22 at Geelong (Smith, Selwood), and being willing to take any AFL contract on offer (Menegola).

So then Hamling leaving was not a GFC error but a perfectly legitimate career move for him. Got it.

GO Catters

It's on record the board interfered down at Richmond - I wish I didn't have to repeat myself on here sooo much. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

So do we. Do us all a favour and dont! Your words, not mine.

Go Catters

I am still waiting for an expansion on the whole "Thompson tried to talk to Ablett in 2010 but naughty Gary wouldnt talk back" bombshell. Seems to have been swept under the carpet as soon as it was challenged by several people.

Even now Scott has 6 Premiership players on our list Hardwick has none. Quality of list, finals experience, and club culture/competence at an admin level are more than reasonable arguments for why Hardwick has struggled at times, it's also emerged he over coaches at times according to Richmond's offseason review of the coaching group so like all good coaches he can definitely improve. Never said I want Hardwick at Geelong just I think he's a good coach and when you look at the list he's had and his superior results against both Sydney and Hawthorn to Scott over the 2012-2015 period I think there's at the very least some merit to that argument.
As for Scott everybody keeps talking about all the players he's lost and the fact we've continued to play (and overwhelmingly lose) finals, well we've recruited mature age recruits to do precisely that while also supposedly developing young talent to strongly push for a flag by as Cook said '2015/16.' Did we strongly push for a flag in 2015/16? One year we finished 10th the other we lasted 10 minutes in to a Prelim - face it guys Scott has failed. Do any of you think we'll honestly push strongly for the 2017 flag?

We should've rebuilt properly, we should be in the same position as Melbourne or St Kilda right now heading up the ladder in the coming years for a genuine shot at a flag, not falling down it doomed to mediocrity for the foreseeable future.

I just feel sorry for Danger because at some point this season he's going to realise he's moved to a club with no chance of winning a Premiership in his time.:(

You have lost me on this one blighty damien hardwick has been an ordinary coach with an ordinary list management strategy. Let alone game plan he is 2 pegs down on chris scott lets not go backwards here

I am still waiting for an expansion on the whole "Thompson tried to talk to Ablett in 2010 but naughty Gary wouldnt talk back" bombshell. Seems to have been swept under the carpet as soon as it was challenged by several people.

I assume its a more personal issue than club issue is why no need to dig up dirt.

That's pretty definitive BC

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

100% would of done the job i tend to agree but a couple of good drafts change of coach perhaps and who knows. Would of said the dogs 2 years ago were 4-5 years away from challenging. Boyd, Morris, Murphy probably over the hill proved me well and truly wrong.

I will stay in the 85% range

You have loIt me on this one blighty damien hardwick has been an ordinary coach with an ordinary list management strategy. Let alone game plan he is 2 pegs down on chris scott lets not go backwards here
He wanted a full 5 year rebuild but Gale and the board hijacked it in the 3rd year so I don't blame him for his list strategy, the main reason I say he's a good coach is because I can name 4/5 games where when looking at their team on paper there's no rational way they could've won those games without Hardwick outcoaching the opposition coach and tactically getting the Tiges over the line, never seen that once with Scott.
Now I wouldn't want him at Geelong and definitely think there are better coaches than him and he needs to improve but he's exhibited to me with the examples above that he's a good coach. Sorry I lost you but hope you can follow my reasoning.

Hawthorn built the list which won the flag in 2008 by finishing bottom 4 in 2004 and 2005 and loading up on top 5 draft picks like Franklin, Roughead and Lewis. Geelong haven't finished bottom 4 in 30 years. Bit of a difference.
Um, so yeah they built their list like we did through the draft...Because that's what I said and I'm right aren't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back