Opinion Chris Scott's coaching - Part II [NEW POLL ADDED]

For how long will Chris Scott be Geelong coach?

• For as long as he wants the job

• 5+ more years

• Somewhere between 2020 and 2022 (i.e. beyond his current contract)

• He will be sacked/resign in 2019

• He will be sacked/resign in 2018

• The Nuclear Option: sacked/resign in 2017

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are three problems

3. Can only be fixed through good draft strategy and identifying talent - we have wasted so many years/list spots on injury prone players that could have gone to another person to at least have a shot to show what they got. Yes we may have won brownie points for looking after players but it has backfired because no doubt we have missed some diamonds in the rough (look at Essendon for example).
What is the Essendon reference?

What is the Essendon reference?
They were forced to go searching for players to fill their list after having so many suspended. Turns out they found a few good ones like Tipungwuti. They were also forced to go with younger players which fast-tracked their development. They didn't have to make the choice between dropping older players for younger because it was made for them.

They were forced to go searching for players to fill their list after having so many suspended. Turns out they found a few good ones like Tipungwuti. They were also forced to go with younger players which fast-tracked their development. They didn't have to make the choice between dropping older players for younger because it was made for them.

We go looking for players at VFL level or Players left field out of the AFL system who have high potential such as Irish players or from other sporting backgrounds, and you and your pessimistic friends jump up and down having a tantrum because wells didn't go pick up a traditional under 18 kid with pick 40-rookie spots. So go figure on what your saying

I guess whatever is the flavour of the day you guys just complain about

Totally agree about the predictability of losing this game- MANY of us predicted that.
Compared to the number of supporters that picked us to win i wouldn't say many, more like a few.

It is not CS who slipped over every contest, and CS did not miss gettable goals.
So why is it we slipped over and the Eagles didn't, if it's a boot/stud issue then I would blame CS for not addressing the problem before or sometime during the game. CS will never miss gettable goals however the dud players he's developed will, plus you can't use misses on goal as an excuse when your opposition miss just as many, take Gaff as an example, missed a few gettable ones.

We are not a superteam.
Yes I know, CS has turned us into a pansy team. Bevridge showed us last year you don't need to be a superteam
to win a flag.

But CS is a very decent coach, with an enviable w-l record.
That's your opinion, to me he's simply ordinary. Lucky for him that a bunch of well developed players fell in his lap which helped him put that premiership coach tag next to his name as well as inflating that w-l record because without those players he'd be looking very average as a coach.

You get a lot of things wrong, like North Melbourne were going to be a team to reckon with, the Bulldogs were going to beat us this year, Black was going to be great for us, Murdoch was going to be a good player etc etc. Wrong with all of them, maybe one day you'll realise you were also wrong with CS but I won't be holding my breath.

The Cats were purring before this year's bye, beating finals contenders Port Adelaide, the Western Bulldogs and Adelaide, but Scott didn't blame the break for interrupting his side's momentum.

"Not sure, don't really care to be honest. We were playing okay, but I don't think we were playing so well that we thought we could roll on and beat every team – especially West Coast in Perth," he said.

"The lack of momentum in the season is not the reason we lost the game."

Interesting comments from Scott. Almost like he anticipates and accepts our losses.

'That's your opinion, to me he's simply ordinary. Lucky for him that a bunch of well developed players fell in his lap which helped him put that premiership coach tag next to his name as well as inflating that w-l record because without those players he'd be looking very average as a coach'.

And that sums up his time at Geelong- he hasn't developed players many like Guthrie seem to be going backward; he hasn't sharpened game plans it just the same old same old against the same teams that beat us eg Collingwood and last year Sydney twice in a matter of weeks; the same old responses which are always about the next time or the next year; hasn't demanded of the club better assistants; doesn't play players to their strengths.

The Cats were purring before this year's bye, beating finals contenders Port Adelaide, the Western Bulldogs and Adelaide, but Scott didn't blame the break for interrupting his side's momentum.

"Not sure, don't really care to be honest. We were playing okay, but I don't think we were playing so well that we thought we could roll on and beat every team – especially West Coast in Perth," he said.

Interesting comments from Scott. Almost like he anticipates and accepts our losses.
And that is turning us back into a mediocre side

Have you seen him in the coach's box-does he look to you like someone who is a happy loser?
Perhaps he is someone who understands that if you are 5% off your game it's enough to turn a possible win into a loss.

If CS is responsible for boot stud length last night.. the. Yes he needs a full whack for that.

We must have slipped over 30 times last night.

Who ever made that call.. shocking.

Go Catters

If CS is responsible for boot stud length last night.. the. Yes he needs a full whack for that.

We must have slipped over 30 times last night.

Who ever made that call.. shocking.

Go Catters
I cant believe nobody asked him about that in the conference. He did mention that the slippery ground was "surprising" given the fine day and no rain, so why didnt they change it at quarter time once they had realised? It cost us so many times.

The team is going no where.

Scott's aim is to finish as high as possible each year and each year we finish high and fail to deliver in finals.

This year is no different.

Instead of playing Buzza he goes for the safer Stanley.
Continues to play Kolo despite his woeful form and the fact that we are too tall down back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What?

Do we blame CS when we win, which is more often than not?
Yes. Chris Scott deserves credit for the team performing to a very high standard at home for the entirety of his tenure. It's number one on the Chris Scott ticks of approval list I have stapled to my wall. Whether it is game plan or attitude, he also deserves blame for the team's reduced output away from home. He's not alone in this respect. The same could be said of quite a few current coaches/teams. It is most prevalent with Geelong and the interstate teams, as other Victorian teams (Etihad and MCG based ones) get a higher proportion of games at their venue of choice or home state.

Geelong's home dominance counts for less than other sides because we get 7 games at our true home as opposed to 11, and don't host finals there. I would thus argue that performing well away from home matters more for Geelong than any other team in the competition, yet it is a huge weakness.

The players deserve just as much blame as Scott himself. I share it 50/50 because I am a generous and fair individual.

Last edited:
The team keeps underperforming after a bye.
Clearly the cause is psychological not physical.
The team is either, not focused, complacent, cocky, lazy, over awed, whatever
Ensuring the players are fully focused and ready to compete is up to the coach.
Teams performs as they train.
A week off to freshen up and no contact training during the bye.
Seems like the players return still on holiday mode.
Time to change the training leading up to the post bye game.
This is one aspect of Chris Scott's coaching he needs to rectify.

Yes. Chris Scott deserves credit for the team performing to a very high standard at home for the entirety of his tenure. It's number one on the Chris Scott ticks of approval list I have stapled to my wall. Whether it is game plan or attitude, he also deserves blame for the team's reduced output away from home. He's not alone in this respect. The same could be said of quite a few current coaches/teams. It is most prevalent with Geelong and the interstate teams, as other Victorian teams (Etihad and MCG based ones) get a higher proportion of games at their venue of choice or home state.

Geelong's home dominance counts for less than other sides because we get 7 games at our true home as opposed to 11, and don't host finals there. I would thus argue that performing well away from home matters more for Geelong than any other team in the competition, yet it is a huge weakness.

The players deserve just as much blame as Scott himself. I share it 50/50 because I am a generous and fair individual.

Hang on, our away performances are a huge weakness?

42-28-1 by my count in regular season away games since Scott took over. 10-7 since the start of last year

F*** me, I bet there's a few other clubs who'd love to have such a huge weakness.

Scott's aim is to finish as high as possible each year
What a whacko.

Next thing he'll be trying to win as many games as possible.

Burn him at the stake!!

id prefer a coach who tries to win flags not aim for the best win/loss record (and a terrible finals record)

You're suggesting Scott doesn't try to win a flag? That he simply aims for the best win/loss ratio??

Your post more than implies that.....

How absolutely ridiculous....time for a Bex and a good lie down cynical.

You're suggesting Scott doesn't try to win a flag? That he simply aims for the best win/loss ratio??

Your post more than implies that.....

Keeps topping up the list and not bottoming out. Always keeps the oldies in.

We aren't winning a flag anytime soon.

He does the lying down when we win. Only sits up to the keyboard after a loss.

Or perhaps I'm being... cynical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back