List Mgmt. Christmas comes early (Nov 28 - 19 sleeps) - Draftee discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to draft some WA talent, I don’t want a team full of Victorians, a few in the team is OK, but if it’s a toss up between Ginbey and an interstate player for example then pick the local boy.

Wow listening to this Sheezel did initially sound against our club ? Maybe I was wrong to discount the homesickness rumour. Maybe there is truth to it after all ?
Listening to that I think it's very much a case of he doesn't want to go to WC.
Unlike some of recent times who have basically tampered with the draft by saying as much, he's playing it a little more subtly, a lot smarter. Letting it be known that he'll play the game but that's not what he wants.

Letting WC know not to take him without telling WC not to take him and having draft tampering questions raised.

Sometimes it's good to let someone make a decision for you. I'd be happy for Norf to bid for Ashcroft (their history says they may not) and then take Sheezel. Removes temptation.

How does the bidding actually work? If north bid on Ashcroft, Brisbane match it and use their first?

What happens if north don’t bid. Then we could bid at him and Brisbane could still take him if they match? If so, is there any real point to bidding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does the bidding actually work? If north bid on Ashcroft, Brisbane match it and use their first?

What happens if north don’t bid. Then we could bid at him and Brisbane could still take him if they match? If so, is there any real point to bidding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lot of point to bidding.
Makes Brisbane pay a fairer price for the standout of the draft.

Ashcrost is considered the best player in the draft and would go at #1 if no matching f/s etc.
If Norf bid Brisbane can take him with a match for points at a 20% discount.
Instaed of using pick 1 (which they don't have) they get to pay 3000 - 20% = 2400 points of match. This would include pick 15? I think they have. Still a bargain.

If Norf don't bid and we do, Brisbane get him at 20% discount to the value of pick 2 and so on.

If for some reason no-one bids on him Brisbane take best available from the rest of the pool at their 1st round pick and leave him on the shelf until either someone bids (and they match -20%) of take him with their final live pick.

Norf have a habit of not bidding. Last year they failed to bid on Daicos and Collingwood got him even cheaper.
In 2020 they did worse. At pick 3 they should have 'taken' Braeden Campbell (Swans academy) and forced a match from Sydney which would have included Sydney using their pick 4, then gone with Will Phillips who they wanted anyway.
Instead they went straight to Phillips and Sydney took MacDonald with pick 4. GCS then bid for Campbell and Sydney matched using later picks. This gave Sydney picks 4 and 5 in the draft when they should have only got Campbell with pick 4. MacDonald was a freebie provided by no-one bidding on their academy guy.

Listening to that I think it's very much a case of he doesn't want to go to WC.
Unlike some of recent times who have basically tampered with the draft by saying as much, he's playing it a little more subtly, a lot smarter. Letting it be known that he'll play the game but that's not what he wants.

Letting WC know not to take him without telling WC not to take him and having draft tampering questions raised.
that interview was a few months ago but at the time I just assumed he hasn't talked to us at that particular time

I don't have any contact or info on this but just touching on the Sheezel/WA/Home thing. He does give away a quick little insight into his own personal leanings and feelings answering a question at the 6min 40sec mark here: .
The rumours aren't entirely made up or unfounded. His natural inclination and internal processing is that he's not really a fan of the West Coast idea. He's had more interviews and had more explained about housing and opportunities etc since and is slowly "growing up" regarding all the realities but it is known that he's not particularly keen on it. Take that for what it's worth.

That interview was done, quite a few months ago now.

I have heard a more recent interview, with Cal Twomey, in which he was far more open to a move and said he was a loyal person and was happy to play where ever he was drafted.

While I know that words are cheap, but in the latter interview he sounded much more genuine and sincere about the prospects of a move.

He would have had a couple of months to get his head around the fact that, if he goes early in the draft, then the odds ( as they stand now ) are more likely that he moves interstate, given that of the first 8 picks 5 of them are held by interstate Clubs.

What is IMO a good thing, is IF he is available at pick 2 then, we may have phone calls on draft night.

IMO we are a very poor wet weather side, has been a long term weakness in the playing list that needs looking at. So drafting some Vic or SA wet weather players does address that. Hence my interest in Phillapou, Oli Hotton and Darcy Jones a WA lad who does well in wet conditions.

Culley hopefully brings some of that skill set too.

We dont want an all WA midfield. Need a solid mix.
Fair enough, I just like a bit of parochialism floating around in the team.
I really liked what I saw of Darcy Jones in the u/18’s, I have a family connection to Kaleb Smith (they’re also one eyed WC), so I’m a bit biased there but he’s quick and very talented.
I thought Ginbey looked a good size for midfielder and relished the physical contact.
I’m really positive about our draft hand and hope the recruiters nail it, obviously as all supporters do.

Fair enough, I just like a bit of parochialism floating around in the team.
I really liked what I saw of Darcy Jones in the u/18’s, I have a family connection to Kaleb Smith (they’re also one eyed WC), so I’m a bit biased there but he’s quick and very talented.
I thought Ginbey looked a good size for midfielder and relished the physical contact.
I’m really positive about our draft hand and hope the recruiters nail it, obviously as all supporters do.

Love your choices. Those 3 would be perfect for us.

Also, I’m sorry but I can’t understand why anyone wants to kick off a long rebuild by spending pick 2 on a half forward, you can find those later in the draft and grow them somewhat easily

Sheezel is quality no doubt and very exciting but he’s a cherry on top type addition

A pure midfielder or MAYBE Cadman are the only acceptable options for me personally
I dont think we have ever had a great half fwd?
I would love to have a Robbie Gray type rather than cobble together a fwd line.
Our last 2 flag teams had
2006 : Stenglein, Chick & Armstrong
2018 : Cripps, Rioli & Venables.
No match winners there

I
When Sheezle said, "I'm not sure about West Coast, that might be a bit far off." It did kinda sound bad, but I think he meant the draft is a bit far away to start thinking about individual clubs, not that we are physically too far away. He followed up by saying he was happy to go anywhere to play footy.

Hopefully it's all moot anyway and we grab the warlord :cool:
That's exactly how I took it - he didn't want to be drawn talking about a specific club this far out.

He seems like a quality fella with a solid head on his shoulders. Very mature for a 17 YO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, I’m sorry but I can’t understand why anyone wants to kick off a long rebuild by spending pick 2 on a half forward, you can find those later in the draft and grow them somewhat easily

Sheezel is quality no doubt and very exciting but he’s a cherry on top type addition

A pure midfielder or MAYBE Cadman are the only acceptable options for me personally
This is a valid line of thought, but you'd expect with a few preseasons under his belt he'll become a pure ball using mid.
Whether he'll be a hard ball get type mid is the question and you are correct that perhaps Harry the Cheezle may never fit that mould.

A fit Wardlaw is exactly what we need kid will be a star if he can get his body right. There ain't many guarantees in this draft and unfortunately he isn't either due to injury but look at the Cats and Dees mids Danger Selwood Oliver Petracca high end draft picks contested bulls exactly what Wardlaw is.

I would take the punt on him as there isn't another mid that has his ceiling in the draft that will be available.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is a valid line of thought, but you'd expect with a few preseasons under his belt he'll become a pure ball using mid.
Whether he'll be a hard ball get type mid is the question and you are correct that perhaps Harry the Cheezle may never fit that mould.

I do not see Sheezel ever being a “pure midfielder” I think he can pinch hit in there and sometimes find moderate success though, but you are not drafting him at 2 in hopes he becomes a great midfielder and if you are, you should not be employed as a scout / list manager

Lot of point to bidding.
Makes Brisbane pay a fairer price for the standout of the draft.

Ashcrost is considered the best player in the draft and would go at #1 if no matching f/s etc.
If Norf bid Brisbane can take him with a match for points at a 20% discount.
Instaed of using pick 1 (which they don't have) they get to pay 3000 - 20% = 2400 points of match. This would include pick 15? I think they have. Still a bargain.

If Norf don't bid and we do, Brisbane get him at 20% discount to the value of pick 2 and so on.

If for some reason no-one bids on him Brisbane take best available from the rest of the pool at their 1st round pick and leave him on the shelf until either someone bids (and they match -20%) of take him with their final live pick.

Norf have a habit of not bidding. Last year they failed to bid on Daicos and Collingwood got him even cheaper.
In 2020 they did worse. At pick 3 they should have 'taken' Braeden Campbell (Swans academy) and forced a match from Sydney which would have included Sydney using their pick 4, then gone with Will Phillips who they wanted anyway.
Instead they went straight to Phillips and Sydney took MacDonald with pick 4. GCS then bid for Campbell and Sydney matched using later picks. This gave Sydney picks 4 and 5 in the draft when they should have only got Campbell with pick 4. MacDonald was a freebie provided by no-one bidding on their academy guy.
And this is why North are s**t. They have had a few years now where their leadership/direction has been completely lacking. Was supposed to be fixed with Clarkson, and then.....

If we were to keep 2 I’m torn about Wardlaw or Cadman. On one hand I see the benefit of drafting a CHF this year on the other we need match winning midfielders.

If we get Cadman I feel we’re better off packaging 2 of our seconds or a second and third for another pick in the teens to get a midfielder in Hewett, Ginbey or whoever else is there.

If we get Wardlaw at 2 are there any KPP of value in the second round? Do we take the punt on Keeler at 20?

Disclaimer I don’t watch draft, just going by others opinions on players

If we were to keep 2 I’m torn about Wardlaw or Cadman. On one hand I see the benefit of drafting a CHF this year on the other we need match winning midfielders.

If we get Cadman I feel we’re better off packaging 2 of our seconds or a second and third for another pick in the teens to get a midfielder in Hewett, Ginbey or whoever else is there.

If we get Wardlaw at 2 are there any KPP of value in the second round? Do we take the punt on Keeler at 20?

Disclaimer I don’t watch draft, just going by others opinions on players
I only want Cadman if we think we can fix his goalkicking, it's supposedly diabolical... Pick 2 is a lot to pay for a forward who can't kick.

There’s a lot of chat of whether we go the big bodied inside mid in Wardlaw or strengthen our key forward future stocks in Cadman.

Can any of the avid draft watchers out there compare what we could have in next years draft with this years cohort? For example, are we better off taking Wardlaw this year due to some highly rated KPP stocks that’ll go early on in next years draft? Or are we better off taking Cadman now as there’s a top tier mid better than Wardlaw worth grabbing next year?

At the end of the day this could all be a moot point if Norf take Cadman anyway. That’d make the draft interesting at the very least. Would make our pick 2 (3) a little bit more sort after you’d think too

Inb4 someone says we should pick Sheezle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back