List Mgmt. Christmas comes early (Nov 28 - 19 sleeps) - Draftee discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monocle Eastcoasteagle and I had our AGM at the Limerick Arms South Melbourne three weeks ago (Monocle was with homework doen and virtually) and since then, we have seen the Metro v Country game and the Dragons v Stingrays GF. Not much has changed for us in list order and we are reasonably aligned as to what we would do. We had a alignment session over the weekend. That said, none of us have any idea what the Pieman will do this year or in many years hat we have witnessed. We can tell you what are Pieman traditional picks but not his strategy. He rightfully holds his cards close.

If this is the usual Pieman approach, we see a real possibility of him taking Cadman with 2 and then going for a balanced midfielder at 20 and a utility or outside type at 26. Plenty of options at 38 but do not discount Broadbent. He would also be rather enamoured by Sheezel at 2 and there will be a temptation. Many won't like this but we sense he also likes Tsatas.

In his recap speech post draft, we feel the Pieman will discuss that he prioritised the midfield starting last year with Hough, Chesser and Culley and he added to it this year. Hence his desire to add a KPF in Cadman that would partner Oscar (having got a KPD in Bazzo who will partner Barrass).

What we would collectively do is a different thing. I got hammered some 2 months ago saying we should slide back. Clumpy Chap then gave us 40 pages of why you should never do that because you have a better chance of finding elite players at pick 1 or 2. That derailed interest and was time I will never get back.

All 3 of us are fine with a slide back but there are limits.

The top 4 feel pretty even for me. Taking one of Sheezel, Cadman, Wardlaw or Busslinger are good picks. They are just not the standouts of prior years like Petracca, Walsh, King etc.

There is a group of really good 5 midfielders at the next level - MacKenzie, Phillippou, Clark, Hollands and Tsatas. After that there is a next level of 5 mids/utility in Hustwaite, Hotton, Hewett, Ginbey and Fletcher. Mixed in that order would be three talls in Hayes, Jefferies and Keeler and people will differ greatly as to whether they are rated at 10 or through to 20.

Personally, I am OK sliding back to the 5 to 8 level and would do so without demanding a huge premium. I would want more to go to a pick from 10 on wards.

One thing you will hear all three of us saying is that 2023 has an exciting first round. It would need to be absolutely hugely in our favour to trade out of the first round next year. In fact we should be looking to double up in the first round next year or getting enough picks so as to buy the Suns R1 as they will be sellers. No need to respond by saying we hear that each year. You have rarely heard this from all three of us and we watch a load of U18 football.

The problem I see is who will want to trade up and want pick 2?

1. GWS - they love the top end and we see Cadman as a player they both like and need. They will also have multiple first rounders with Hopper, Taranto and Bruhn leaving. Problem is that will likely be a future R1, plus 12 from Richmond and 18 from Cats. I had really hoped Hawks or Dons would have got Taranto or Hopper meaning the Giants would have something more in their range I want. Is our interest in Cadman there to up the interest in GWS trading up to 2 from 3? I hope GWS act. I would take 3 and 18 for 2 and 26. Problem is if they are that keen, Norf need Cadman and Clarkson loves his KPF picks early in tenure. GWS may wait until Norf have picked before they offer up. Sorry folks, but it will give us interest to watch the start of the draft for a change. No need to trade up for Busslinger if they see Hayes as suitable with one of their other R1 picks. One scenario is that of trading 2 and say 26 for 12 and 19 this year and Richmond's future R1. I would probably take that. We take 12 (Ginbey, Hustwaite/Hotton or Hewett), 19 being pick 1 on day 2 it might get a seriously good deal or do 2 of Keeler/Szybowski/George/J Ryan/Weddle or maybe even Hewett. The real attraction is that of a decent mid at 12 plus double dipping in 2023. GWS would love taking 2 and 3 to the draft.

2. Suns - they have so many picks that they are happy throwing away pick 7 this year (after pick 19 last year) to tidy up their salary cap. Crazy. I would have thought that 7 (turns into 8) would be a perfect spot to pick up Hollands to join his brother and make life easier for them going forward. Will they be wanting to replace Rankine with 5? If so, then Sheezel is the man. Pick 5 (becomes 6) from Crows will not cut the mustard. A move from 5 to 2 will probably cost them pick 25. I can see the Suns also getting the Crows 2023 first rounder in the Rankine deal. It solves a big issue in gathering academy points for 2023 and the AFL do not seem to be able to stop them postponing their picks. Besides, Adelaide may be very keen on Phillipou at 5 as their midfielders are on the lighter side.

3. Essendon - is it Cadman or is it Sheezel? They need both and would be ideal for their build. At 4, they run the risk of missing both. They hold 4 and 22 and will need points for Davy jnr. I would do 4 and 22 for 2 and 38. They in theory will have enough points with 38 and 40 to get Davy and get their main target. Sticking point - Dodoro. A good point - they do not need pick 1 as either Cadman or Sheezel will be there at 2 so their deal is not dependant on who Norf take.

4. Port - this is more about Port sliding back from pick 8. We have a pawn in play with Rioli. It is being reported that they are prepared to slide back with Freo. There are so many computations as to how and who else gets involved so I will leave it as a possibility. If we can get Lions pick 15, then 8 and Rioli for 15 values Rioli at pick 40. I'd probably need their pick 53 which we can use to get 15.

5. Fremantle - do they offer up pick 2 for Jackson and say that is it. It is a spot higher than they drafted him and some might say that is enough. They might need to add a later pick. What would we cant from Freo? Simple answer is Erasmus and 13. That would value Erasmus at pick 12 and he was taken at pick 10 so I am sure we could do a later pick swap. Alternatively we ask for pick 13, next year's first and some sweetener (they will be getting plenty of R2 picks with Logue and Lobb). Do I feel unclean in helping the unwashed get Jackson. No. Business is business.

Then there is the Lions pick. Now that it is 15, it feels like it on the edge of the next level. Yes, Ginbey and Hewett may still be there but it is a couple of spots later than I really want. So it does not come with such a big premium for me.

The issue who is wanted at pick 2 is twofold - of there not being a clear number 1 and Norf have such a screwed up record in who they pick at the pointy end.

Clear as mud?
Good effort all of that 👍🏻.
Have been thinking myself last few days about option 5 and as dirty as it makes me feel could be a good option for us.

Say pick 2 to freo future 3rd. (That gets Jackson to Freo)
We get 13, next years freo 1st, and 29 (dogs 2nd for lobb)

Trade 26,29 and 38 to Lions for 15

Go to the draft with 13,15 and 20 plus Rioli compo.

13 and 15, 20 could be Hewitt, Ginbey, Hollands, Hotton, Hustwaithe ect which I’m fine with.

The big benefit is that if I was looking at who could slide next year I reckon Freo could be one. Had a good run with injury this year, Mundy gone plus a lot of talent in Logue, Lobb, Acres and other good depth players possibly going to.

Could be a top 10 pick in a strong draft.

With future trading, picking who will slide and who will rise is going to be important. Doing a deal with a club on future picks has great risk. Just ask the Pies who traded what they probably thought was going to be a mid pick and it ended up as pick 2.

Clubs Falling Down
So from the top 4 of Pies, Sydney, Lions and Cats, I see Pies as the team I most likely to slip. They had an incredible run on the close games and I do not see them getting better in losing Grundy and Henry while gaining McStay, Hill and Fiorini. Their unique game plan will be studied and clubs will start closing them down. They will still be up there but dropping to a 6 to 10 level is possible.

I don't think the Dogs are going to rise - they may however drop out of the 8. Yes, something is smelly at the Kennel and nobody can pinpoint it but they finished 8th and I cannot see it going much lower that 11.

The Cats played a brilliant 2022 season. Can they do it again in 2023? I expect not but I would anticipate a 5 to 8 finish in 2023 so worth looking to be trading. Losing Selwood will hurt. They had an incredible injury run with their 30 somethings and that is not usual.

St Blunders finished 10th and I can see them dropping slightly. They are a soulless club and it shows. They are unable to sustain any consistency and with the teams around them likely to improve, it will be

Clubs Rising
Carlton are the obvious one. From 9th this year, I expect them to be in the 8 and even the top 4. Avoid future trades or discount heavily.
Port are a club I find hard to read - they still have some oldies along with the great bunch they drafted in recent years and they had a tougher draw early and lost their season. Top 8 probably but not a given. Another 11th feel unlikely.
GWS are a team that could be anything from 16 to 8. I would avoid a trade or at least discount any future as they are so damn unpredictable.

As far as our future picks, I think clubs will believe we are still bottom 6. I personally would not be interested in trading our future R1 pick but would consider a future second if it could get us a player in the late R1 this year like Hustwaite, Hotton, Hewett, etc. None of these I expect to be there for our second pick at 20 but if they were and we could trade into a late R1 pick to nab them, I would be tempted to trade a future R2.

Good effort all of that 👍🏻.
Have been thinking myself last few days about option 5 and as dirty as it makes me feel could be a good option for us.

Say pick 2 to freo future 3rd. (That gets Jackson to Freo)
We get 13, next years freo 1st, and 29 (dogs 2nd for lobb)
I actually think Freo will be top 8 again. Even a little better.
I wouldn't enjoy say 13 & 13(2023) for #2
Those saying a strong draft; yes it looks good so far yet at pick 13 you still are out of the range of all the star players

Monocle Eastcoasteagle and I had our AGM at the Limerick Arms South Melbourne three weeks ago (Monocle was with homework submitted and attended virtually) and since then, we have seen the Metro v Country game and the Dragons v Stingrays GF. Not much has changed for us in list order and we are reasonably aligned as to what we would do. We had a alignment session over the weekend. That said, none of us have any idea what the Pieman will do this year or in many years hat we have witnessed. We can tell you what are Pieman traditional picks but not his strategy. He rightfully holds his cards close.

If this is the usual Pieman approach, we see a real possibility of him taking Cadman with 2 and then going for a balanced midfielder at 20 and a utility or outside type at 26. Plenty of options at 38 but do not discount Broadbent. He would also be rather enamoured by Sheezel at 2 and there will be a temptation. Many won't like this but we sense he also likes Tsatas.

In his recap speech post draft, we feel the Pieman will discuss that he prioritised the midfield starting last year with Hough, Chesser and Culley and he added to it this year. Hence his desire to add a KPF in Cadman that would partner Oscar (having got a KPD in Bazzo who will partner Barrass).

What we would collectively do is a different thing. I got hammered some 2 months ago saying we should slide back. Clumpy Chap then gave us 40 pages of why you should never do that because you have a better chance of finding elite players at pick 1 or 2. That derailed interest and was time I will never get back.

All 3 of us are fine with a slide back but there are limits.

The top 4 feel pretty even for me. Taking one of Sheezel, Cadman, Wardlaw or Busslinger are good picks. They are just not the standouts of prior years like Petracca, Walsh, King etc.

There is a group of really good 5 midfielders at the next level - MacKenzie, Phillippou, Clark, Hollands and Tsatas. After that there is a next level of 5 mids/utility in Hustwaite, Hotton, Hewett, Ginbey and Fletcher. Mixed in that order would be three talls in Hayes, Jefferies and Keeler and people will differ greatly as to whether they are rated at 10 or through to 20.

Personally, I am OK sliding back to the 5 to 8 level and would do so without demanding a huge premium. I would want more to go to a pick from 10 on wards.

One thing you will hear all three of us saying is that 2023 has an exciting first round. It would need to be absolutely hugely in our favour to trade out of the first round next year. In fact we should be looking to double up in the first round next year or getting enough picks so as to buy the Suns R1 as they will be sellers. No need to respond by saying we hear that each year. You have rarely heard this from all three of us and we watch a load of U18 football.

The problem I see is who will want to trade up and want pick 2?

1. GWS - they love the top end and we see Cadman as a player they both like and need. They will also have multiple first rounders with Hopper, Taranto and Bruhn leaving. Problem is that will likely be a future R1, plus 12 from Richmond and 18 from Cats. I had really hoped Hawks or Dons would have got Taranto or Hopper meaning the Giants would have something more in their range I want. Is our interest in Cadman there to up the interest in GWS trading up to 2 from 3? I hope GWS act. I would take 3 and 18 for 2 and 26. Problem is if they are that keen, Norf need Cadman and Clarkson loves his KPF picks early in tenure. GWS may wait until Norf have picked before they offer up. Sorry folks, but it will give us interest to watch the start of the draft for a change. No need to trade up for Busslinger if they see Hayes as suitable with one of their other R1 picks. One scenario is that of trading 2 and say 26 for 12 and 19 this year and Richmond's future R1. I would probably take that. We take 12 (Ginbey, Hustwaite/Hotton or Hewett), 19 being pick 1 on day 2 it might get a seriously good deal or do 2 of Keeler/Szybowski/George/J Ryan/Weddle or maybe even Hewett. The real attraction is that of a decent mid at 12 plus double dipping in 2023. GWS would love taking 2 and 3 to the draft.

2. Suns - they have so many picks that they are happy throwing away pick 7 this year (after pick 19 last year) to tidy up their salary cap. Crazy. I would have thought that 7 (turns into 8) would be a perfect spot to pick up Hollands to join his brother and make life easier for them going forward. Will they be wanting to replace Rankine with 5? If so, then Sheezel is the man. Pick 5 (becomes 6) from Crows will not cut the mustard. A move from 5 to 2 will probably cost them pick 25. I can see the Suns also getting the Crows 2023 first rounder in the Rankine deal. It solves a big issue in gathering academy points for 2023 and the AFL do not seem to be able to stop them postponing their picks. Besides, Adelaide may be very keen on Phillipou at 5 as their midfielders are on the lighter side.

3. Essendon - is it Cadman or is it Sheezel? They need both and would be ideal for their build. At 4, they run the risk of missing both. They hold 4 and 22 and will need points for Davy jnr. I would do 4 and 22 for 2 and 38. They in theory will have enough points with 38 and 40 to get Davy and get their main target. Sticking point - Dodoro. A good point - they do not need pick 1 as either Cadman or Sheezel will be there at 2 so their deal is not dependant on who Norf take.

4. Port - this is more about Port sliding back from pick 8. We have a pawn in play with Rioli. It is being reported that they are prepared to slide back with Freo. There are so many computations as to how and who else gets involved so I will leave it as a possibility. If we can get Lions pick 15, then 8 and Rioli for 15 values Rioli at pick 40. I'd probably need their pick 53 which we can use to get 15.

5. Fremantle - do they offer up pick 2 for Jackson and say that is it. It is a spot higher than they drafted him and some might say that is enough. They might need to add a later pick. What would we cant from Freo? Simple answer is Erasmus and 13. That would value Erasmus at pick 12 and he was taken at pick 10 so I am sure we could do a later pick swap. Alternatively we ask for pick 13, next year's first and some sweetener (they will be getting plenty of R2 picks with Logue and Lobb). Do I feel unclean in helping the unwashed get Jackson. No. Business is business.

Then there is the Lions pick. Now that it is 15, it feels like it on the edge of the next level. Yes, Ginbey and Hewett may still be there but it is a couple of spots later than I really want. So it does not come with such a big premium for me.

The issue who is wanted at pick 2 is twofold - of there not being a clear number 1 and Norf have such a screwed up record in who they pick at the pointy end.

Clear as mud?
Good write up, appreciate the efforts. It seems based on history, Cadman is a real chance to get picked by us. Pieman loves a KP player, just look at Brander, Allen. Other high picks like Duggan, Shepherd were not mids. Natainui a ruck. Pieman likes to mix it up so i dont expect all mids to make up our high picks. If we split picks I think Busslinger will be on the radar and if we dont I think Cadman might be our most likely selection based on Kennedy leaving and Pieman liking KP players. I dont think he is against mids but unlike some recruiters he is not midfield heavy with his recruiting, he doesnt mind picking up mids in later rounds. For those reasons I see bussslinger, Hayes, Cadman being real chances. Be very surprised if Pieman picks mostly mids after Chesser, Hough and Culley as you say.

With future trading, picking who will slide and who will rise is going to be important. Doing a deal with a club on future picks has great risk. Just ask the Pies who traded what they probably thought was going to be a mid pick and it ended up as pick 2.

Clubs Falling Down
So from the top 4 of Pies, Sydney, Lions and Cats, I see Pies as the team I most likely to slip. They had an incredible run on the close games and I do not see them getting better in losing Grundy and Henry while gaining McStay, Hill and Fiorini. Their unique game plan will be studied and clubs will start closing them down. They will still be up there but dropping to a 6 to 10 level is possible.

I don't think the Dogs are going to rise - they may however drop out of the 8. Yes, something is smelly at the Kennel and nobody can pinpoint it but they finished 8th and I cannot see it going much lower that 11.

The Cats played a brilliant 2022 season. Can they do it again in 2023? I expect not but I would anticipate a 5 to 8 finish in 2023 so worth looking to be trading. Losing Selwood will hurt. They had an incredible injury run with their 30 somethings and that is not usual.

St Blunders finished 10th and I can see them dropping slightly. They are a soulless club and it shows. They are unable to sustain any consistency and with the teams around them likely to improve, it will be

Clubs Rising
Carlton are the obvious one. From 9th this year, I expect them to be in the 8 and even the top 4. Avoid future trades or discount heavily.
Port are a club I find hard to read - they still have some oldies along with the great bunch they drafted in recent years and they had a tougher draw early and lost their season. Top 8 probably but not a given. Another 11th feel unlikely.
GWS are a team that could be anything from 16 to 8. I would avoid a trade or at least discount any future as they are so damn unpredictable.

As far as our future picks, I think clubs will believe we are still bottom 6. I personally would not be interested in trading our future R1 pick but would consider a future second if it could get us a player in the late R1 this year like Hustwaite, Hotton, Hewett, etc. None of these I expect to be there for our second pick at 20 but if they were and we could trade into a late R1 pick to nab them, I would be tempted to trade a future R2.
The draw this year and what we could expect from next years draw also needs to be taken into account. I've gone through the double ups for all 18 teams this year to see who was screwed over and who got lucky, adding up the final ladder position of each teams 5 double ups. A lower score means a tougher draw and a higher score means an easier draw, with an average score being 47.5. This isn't perfect because you can't play yourself and if you consistently beat teams you play twice they will of course finish lower, but it is at least a decent indicator.

St Kilda: 26
Essendon: 27
GWS: 29
Melbourne: 32
Bulldogs: 37
WCE: 40
Norf: 42
Port: 42
Carlton: 46
Hawthorn: 55
Gold Coast: 55
Collingwood: 55
Cockburn: 57
Adelaide: 58
Brisbane: 58
Geelong: 64
Richmond: 65
Sydney: 67

Collingwood not only won 400 games this year by 1 point, but they also had a softish draw. With their top 4 finish they will get a much harder draw next year and getting a future 1st or 2nd from them could be juicy. However, given the trade with GWS blew up in their faces they could be skittish about trading any more future picks.

WB had a hard draw this year with double ups against 3 of the premiership favourites. Hard to gauge where they will end up next year, proceed with caution.

Geelong had double ups against us and Norf and after winning the flag can expect a much harder draw next year. It is natural to expect an emotional drop off from an aging list after finally getting over the hump and its possible that they slide more then people might expect.

St Kilda and GWS had hard draws this year and should expect easier ones next year, something to take into account.

Richmonds and Brisbanes future picks are worth targeting because they had soft draws this year which made them look better then they actually were. These 2 should be up for grabs because of the Taranto/Hopper/Dunkley/Ashcroft trades.

We have a top 5 pick for the first time in a long time and people want to trade it? Take whichever one of Wardlaw or Tsatas that North don’t, and be done with it. Don’t overthink it. We’ve been crying out for cream of the crop ball winning mids for years and we’re guaranteed one at our current pick

The draw this year and what we could expect from next years draw also needs to be taken into account. I've gone through the double ups for all 18 teams this year to see who was screwed over and who got lucky, adding up the final ladder position of each teams 5 double ups. A lower score means a tougher draw and a higher score means an easier draw, with an average score being 47.5. This isn't perfect because you can't play yourself and if you consistently beat teams you play twice they will of course finish lower, but it is at least a decent indicator.

St Kilda: 26
Essendon: 27
GWS: 29
Melbourne: 32
Bulldogs: 37
WCE: 40
Norf: 42
Port: 42
Carlton: 46
Hawthorn: 55
Gold Coast: 55
Collingwood: 55
Cockburn: 57
Adelaide: 58
Brisbane: 58
Geelong: 64
Richmond: 65
Sydney: 67

Collingwood not only won 400 games this year by 1 point, but they also had a softish draw. With their top 4 finish they will get a much harder draw next year and getting a future 1st or 2nd from them could be juicy. However, given the trade with GWS blew up in their faces they could be skittish about trading any more future picks.

WB had a hard draw this year with double ups against 3 of the premiership favourites. Hard to gauge where they will end up next year, proceed with caution.

Geelong had double ups against us and Norf and after winning the flag can expect a much harder draw next year. It is natural to expect an emotional drop off from an aging list after finally getting over the hump and its possible that they slide more then people might expect.

St Kilda and GWS had hard draws this year and should expect easier ones next year, something to take into account.

Richmonds and Brisbanes future picks are worth targeting because they had soft draws this year which made them look better then they actually were. These 2 should be up for grabs because of the Taranto/Hopper/Dunkley/Ashcroft trades.
For us, we can expect a double up against 1 top 6 team (Freo), a mid tier team (Tiger Dogs Blues Saints Port and Suns) and 3 double ups against bottom tier (Norf, GWS, Dons, Hawks and Crows).

Expect our draw to be twice against Freo, Suns (opening 2 rounds at Optus) and happy with 3 against any of the other bottom teams.

Hell, maybe this is the year that the Lions actually play us on our own deck at Optus.

If Tigers get Hopper and Taranto and by finishing 8th, I expect them to be better next season but the draw will be average not hard. Besides, how many games do they get at the MCG which is a massive advantage? That said, they are a big draw card

I think the Pies will be the one I fancy trading with. They will continue to get the big Vic based teams as the AFL want massive TV ratings and big crowds. Same for the Blues.

I think the Suns will be given a soft draw as the AFL are desperate to have them play finals and with King back and another year of development, expect them to be looked after.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have a top 5 pick for the first time in a long time and people want to trade it? Take whichever one of Wardlaw or Tsatas that North don’t, and be done with it. Don’t overthink it. We’ve been crying out for cream of the crop ball winning mids for years and we’re guaranteed one at our current pick
How do I explain it to you?

You turn up with pick 2 thinking Ferrari
Feeling Like A Ferrari Real Housewives Of Salt Lake City GIF ...

You then drive along Scarborough Beach Road and see the following options

Mazda Australia | New Cars, Offers, Dealerships - Zoom-Zoom File:Honda.svg - Wikimedia Commons
The official Lexus Australia website | Lexus
Land Rover Discovery Range Rover Sport Velar Front Grill Emblem Black Oval  Badge | eBay Volvo Logo History: The Volvo Symbol Meaning

Good cars but Ferrari's they are not

For us, we can expect a double up against 1 top 6 team (Freo), a mid tier team (Tiger Dogs Blues Saints Port and Suns) and 3 double ups against bottom tier (Norf, GWS, Dons, Hawks and Crows).

Expect our draw to be twice against Freo, Suns (opening 2 rounds at Optus) and happy with 3 against any of the other bottom teams.

Hell, maybe this is the year that the Lions actually play us on our own deck at Optus.

If Tigers get Hopper and Taranto and by finishing 8th, I expect them to be better next season but the draw will be average not hard. Besides, how many games do they get at the MCG which is a massive advantage? That said, they are a big draw card

I think the Pies will be the one I fancy trading with. They will continue to get the big Vic based teams as the AFL want massive TV ratings and big crowds. Same for the Blues.

I think the Suns will be given a soft draw as the AFL are desperate to have them play finals and with King back and another year of development, expect them to be looked after.
Port will be one of our double ups. The AFL often gives us a double up against a SA team and we played the Crows twice this year. The Rioli trade will just seal it.

Bailey Humphrey will be a bolter should go between 5 and 10.

Think the Eagles will take a good look at him explosive goal kicking mid....
So we draft Humphrey, we already know who most people think is Fat Cat. So the real question is...Who. is Flapper? 😉

We just delisted Agro but Culley can now take that role.

When I see Hewett, I see Yeo.

Seems to have a similar playing / kicking style. Huge quads, burst player, iffy disposal, hard on the inside, etc, etc, etc.

From those that know a heap more than me, is this a fair comparison?

Definitely not, Yeo’s frame is much better and he possesses a power and explosiveness that Hewett doesn’t come close to.

I’d say if I had to compare Hewett to any one of our mids it’d probably be TK tbh, but that’s not a perfect comparison either

Clear as mud?
Great breakdown, thanks

I do wonder if we consider enough the possibility of splitting #2 into one of those 2022 picks and an attractive future first. That is if we are still not particularly set on anyone at 2.

Obviously it would depend on the teams/picks involved as to what the periphery swaps would be but some teams will value pick 2 this year just because of the immediacy and surety and be less concerned about the perceived greater strength of 2023's pool

While delayed gratification isn't attractive and this is a 2022 draft discussion where we get excited about what we could add this year, I personally hope this is being considered by the club as this rebuild will take some time regardless.

Great breakdown, thanks

I do wonder if we consider enough the possibility of splitting #2 into one of those 2022 picks and an attractive future first. That is if we are still not particularly set on anyone at 2.

Obviously it would depend on the teams/picks involved as to what the periphery swaps would be but some teams will value picks this year just because of the immediacy and be less concerned about the perceived greater strength of 2023's pool

While delayed gratification isn't attractive and this is a 2022 draft discussion where we get excited about what we could add this year, I personally hope this is being considered by the club as this rebuild will take some time regardless.

I’d be happy with that as long as the first we’re receiving this year is a top 8 pick. Loading up on next years draft is a smart investment

From what I've seen of Hewitt, he looks to lack Yeo's fanatic defensive pressure too. Just plods along at half pace whenever the opponent has the ball. Perhaps it's somewhat symptomatic of still being an under 18/ a leftover from covid, but compared to someone like Wardlaw, his defence efforts look abysmal.

Definitely not, Yeo’s frame is much better and he possesses a power and explosiveness that Hewett doesn’t come close to.

I’d say if I had to compare Hewett to any one of our mids it’d probably be TK tbh, but that’s not a perfect comparison either

Minutes before making this post you hit the crystal pistol didn't you? Surely. It's the only explanation I can come up with.

Hewett, like Kelly and not Yeo? Kelly is one paced vanilla, cruising around in 2nd gear everywhere, he's also far from hard at the footy. Hewett is a bash and crash player that is absolutely like Yeo more than any of our other players. He enjoys taking tacklers on and bursting from stoppages with his explosiveness.

Not as agile or athletic as Yeo, who's got cat like lateral movement and a decent leap on him, but he's Hewett isn't far off it.

Far as his frame goes he's 186cm and 82kgs. Yeo was 189cm and 88kg at the same time.

How do I explain it to you?

You turn up with pick 2 thinking Ferrari
Feeling Like A Ferrari Real Housewives Of Salt Lake City GIF ...

You then drive along Scarborough Beach Road and see the following options

View attachment 1520483View attachment 1520484
The official Lexus Australia website | Lexus
View attachment 1520485View attachment 1520486

Good cars but Ferrari's they are not
But it is still the best contested mids there are available. If it had to be traded I’d be wanting 3 picks if two were in the 8-12 region.

The draft calculator says it’s a fair way off but I don’t think that calculator quite grasps the fact that with the super early picks you’re getting an unimpeded run at literally everyone bar 1 player (Ashcroft not included) and the majority of the time the top 3 is unanimous in terms of who’s in it (not necessarily the order).

Of the 17 clubs there has to be at least one creaming themselves at the thought of Wardlaw or Tsatas and are willing to pay that sort of premium, and if there isn’t then we keep it and run with one of the best 2 mids available to us

Knightmare has us taking Tsatas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interestly he has us taking George who did an acl 6 to 8 weeks ago.

Not sure if its the best move moving a kid interstate knowing basically he will be doing rehab for an entire season.

But then thats why he's slipped to 22.

Would like another 2nd rounder between 22 - 28. Some promising kids slidding around there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back