Analysis Coaching discussion 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably because AFL players are afraid the umpire will pull something out of their arse and ping them for something

Players are selfish now, instead of protecting the bloke with the footy they make them take the extra option so they feel involved. Drives me nuts

Someone laid one in the 3rd quarter deep in the D50 for I think it was TMac? and it set up a goal for us because we went coast to coast.

Hunt is the one who looks to do it as often as possible. A few others try occasionally, but for the most part people trot around looking for the short handball.

Frost's shepherd on Riedwoldt should've been shown on repeat in every review since. It is bloody frustrating how infrequently blokes look to shepherd in the AFL. Went to the Pies v Blues game on the weekend and noticed it a lot. So many good setups fluffed because guys ran for a pointless 2m handball rather than shepherded to give the ball carrier more space and time to do something useful. It's weird, because at lower levels it seems so instinctive and ingrained in all the coaches messages. If you aren't in a decent spot to be an option find the nearest opponent and run through them. Simple stuff; would think more blokes at AFL would relish putting their opponent on their arse.

One other thing on the coaching group (this doesn't all fall on Goodwin, but the collective).

How many players have seriously improved this year? I'd say Oliver and Petracca obviously, but they are so naturally competitive and talented that they were always likely to progress.

Aside from that, Frost looks like he's finding his feet down back; Hunt continues to impress and Garlett's consistency is better than I've ever seen it. But aside from them, I can't think of anyone else on the list who hasn't stagnated or even gone backwards this season.

For us to take the next step, we needed Tyson, Viney, Watts, Hogan, Salem, Harmes, Stretch, Weid, Brayshaw, the McDonald bros and so many more to improve. For various reasons, they haven't.
I think Salem has improved.

I have nfi if Chaplain is any good or not but he hasn't had much to work with this year. In almost every game the majority of our forwards have been young and/or inexperienced, and then there's our game plan. It hardly helps for having an open forwardline, there's so much congestion.

Interesting letter penned to Goodwin by a self-proclaimed Melbourne "barracker". Are the concerns reflected amongst the supporter group or was it an overreaction?

Interesting letter penned to Goodwin by a self-proclaimed Melbourne "barracker". Are the concerns reflected amongst the supporter group or was it an overreaction?
I think that might have been a generic brand flog acting independently.

Sure supporters hate a loss and can be critical after one, but I don't think there is a large contingent of supporters demanding change of a senior coach who has been in the role for exactly 7 games. Plans don't mature overnight, and players don't always have the confidence and experience with a game-style to acquit it successfully right away. I think most people here for example will give it a bit longer before writing letters or microwaving anything critical.

Frost's shepherd on Riedwoldt should've been shown on repeat in every review since. It is bloody frustrating how infrequently blokes look to shepherd in the AFL. Went to the Pies v Blues game on the weekend and noticed it a lot. So many good setups fluffed because guys ran for a pointless 2m handball rather than shepherded to give the ball carrier more space and time to do something useful. It's weird, because at lower levels it seems so instinctive and ingrained in all the coaches messages. If you aren't in a decent spot to be an option find the nearest opponent and run through them. Simple stuff; would think more blokes at AFL would relish putting their opponent on their arse.

Wonder if that's because all these guys are the guns at Junior level, so they're used to every other poor bugger in the side shepherding for them?

Interesting article here about our quarter lapses this year. http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-11/bad-quarters-will-pass-with-experience-goodwin

Melbourne has won the fourth most quarters of any team in 2017, winning 16 of 28 behind Port Adelaide (20), Adelaide (20) and Greater Western Sydney (18).

Losses against Geelong, Fremantle, Richmond and the Hawks have all been marred by single quarters in which Goodwin's men were outscored by at least 27 points and up to 43 points.

Goodwin has basically called out that a lot of it is a problem with youth, which I do tend to agree with, and at the end of the day the 18 blokes on the field are responsible. However, I still think more can potentially be done from the coaches box.

Interesting article here about our quarter lapses this year. http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-11/bad-quarters-will-pass-with-experience-goodwin

Goodwin has basically called out that a lot of it is a problem with youth, which I do tend to agree with, and at the end of the day the 18 blokes on the field are responsible. However, I still think more can potentially be done from the coaches box.
Realistically, it probably is the progression of a young team, where we'd previously had bad games, we've now cut it down to a bad qrt, hopefully sooner rather than later that gets fixed up too. But you're right, a plan B needs to be put in place to stop the run on mid qrt, rather than doing it at the breaks.

Players are selfish now, instead of protecting the bloke with the footy they make them take the extra option so they feel involved. Drives me nuts
Back in my day (hahahahhaa now I'm a GOM) you would get dragged for not putting in a shepherd that the coach felt should have been laid

Realistically, it probably is the progression of a young team, where we'd previously had bad games, we've now cut it down to a bad qrt,
Is easy to forget this and I completely agree.
We have rightfully become probably a bit impatient and with a slight bit of expectation often you are wanting more but the reality is, we just aren't there yet or anywhere near where we should/will be in the next few years.
People on the MB say we always use youth as an excuse. I'm not using it as an excuse but it's a reality.
We have gone into every single game this year as the youngest or 2nd youngest side in it.
Some of our best players this season haven't even played 30 games in Hunt, Petracca and Oliver.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see why we can't shut the game down in our bad quarters. Play a flood and only leave Garlett Kent Watts etc in front of the ball. Try only have 3 or 4 kicked on us for the quarter then re launch. We seem unable to stop momentum when the other side has it

I look at the way the players look at the Coach during half time at the huddles.

Im really wondering what his "Player Managment" Skills are like, compared to say Paul Roos. Roos had great people managment skills, even at Sydney.
I know it's unusual to hear otherwise, except in a Neeld type situation, but everything I've ever heard is that he's really strong in this area and the players love him.

I can't see how we don't lose this game by over 10 goals.
Our aggressive press will be slaughtered by Adelaides precision ball movement on the large Adelaide oval.
Seconded is we don't have Hogan which means if we kick long to Garlett and Watts then Lever Talia Kelly Laird Hardigan etc will eat up the long balls
Also we have no one who can stop Taylor Walker. He is gonna kick 6

I don't see why we can't shut the game down in our bad quarters. Play a flood and only leave Garlett Kent Watts etc in front of the ball. Try only have 3 or 4 kicked on us for the quarter then re launch. We seem unable to stop momentum when the other side has it

Whilst I don't entirely disagree, I'd say the reason why is clubs will back their game plan in. You can't throw out your game plan when things go wrong for an entirely different game plan. And I know this sounds like a cop out but it will confuse players as to when to use which game plan.

Coaches will back their game style in, but I will say the really good sides like hawthorn can slightly adjust their game plan when required.

If we are having a rough patch I'd like to see guys like jones and Lewis step up and control the game by foot and marks like we did against the saints.

He's brilliant. Stuff the haters. Sees skillsets in players and is willing to shift guys in game to weaponise them. Sure, there's some gripes with selection, but he is bloody effective in the caper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back