Collingwood Grand Final Day live site , Olympic Park Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

561817_c90b3c6e019a1b0f31024e11a6842de2.jpg

Do they really need to charge entry for this?

There are a bunch of reasons why money would be charged ...

(1) They need to get a good idea of how many numbers will turn up (crowd control compliance, appropriate facilities are provided eg: portaloos)

(2) By ticketing it, they know that the event won’t be flooded by more people than it has capacity for.

(3) By charging for the ticket they know that people who acquired a ticket will more likely show up. The more they charge, the less likely people will change their mind and go to their mates friend’s BBQ instead. (I went to a event this week that charged $95 purely so they ensured that people showed up ... I know this because I called up 30 minutes before the event and asked if there was someway I could get in eventhough I didn’t have a ticket, and they happily let me in for free)

(4) These things do cost money to run (screen hire, portaloos, ticketing, security, admin) - somebody has to pay for it.

(5) Our club is a not-for-profit. Us members don’t allow the club to charge any more for membership than what is essential. If the club had made this a free event, there would probably be members whinging that they’re paying too much money in membership dues.

In 2010, it was held at Aami Park and it was free + the team showed up for post game celebrations and had Lionel Richie perform, now their charging $20 to have it on our training oval. Strange

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

In 2010, it was held at Aami Park and it was free + the team showed up for post game celebrations and had Lionel Richie perform, now their charging $20 to have it on our training oval. Strange

Hiring big screens wouldn't be all that cheap. That said, would anyone really miss the pre-game entertainment? Could probably make it cheaper by scrapping that

Tickets are available through Ticketek.com.au for Collingwood Grand Final day live site

12pm Saturday 29th September

Tickets $20.00

Tickets end up being 26.50 because Ticketek are scum.

Should cost less but I’ve got my ticket. I wish I could go to the G but at least I’ll be watching with an army of the Magpie faithful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(1) They need to get a good idea of how many numbers will turn up (crowd control compliance, appropriate facilities are provided eg: portaloos)

(2) By ticketing it, they know that the event won’t be flooded by more people than it has capacity for.

(3) By charging for the ticket they know that people who acquired a ticket will more likely show up. The more they charge, the less likely people will change their mind and go to their mates friend’s BBQ instead. (I went to a event this week that charged $95 purely so they ensured that people showed up ... I know this because I called up 30 minutes before the event and asked if there was someway I could get in eventhough I didn’t have a ticket, and they happily let me in for free)

(4) These things do cost money to run (screen hire, portaloos, ticketing, security, admin) - somebody has to pay for it.

(5) Our club is a not-for-profit. Us members don’t allow the club to charge any more for membership than what is essential. If the club had made this a free event, there would probably be members whinging that they’re paying too much money in membership dues.
How is the club non-for-profit? They 100% are motivated to make a profit, more than that their profit margins are used as a focal point for their success.

What exactly are their costs? Security? Probably a couple grand there. Foxtel subscription to watch the footy? $65 there but probably free. Seating? Probably a sunk cost. Live entertainment? Probably free of charge, depends who they get, not expecting U2.

What are their costs? If only 1000 people show up (will probably be more) they make $20'000, 5000 show up you have $100'000.

I don't think it's unreasonable for the club to throw an event for the fans that will cost them nothing out of Goodwill rather than charging people $20 entry. Completely different to the Margaret Court situation last week.

It also makes it less likely that opposition supporters (aka Richmond whingers) will hijack the event.

How is the club non-for-profit? They 100% are motivated to make a profit, more than that their profit margins are used as a focal point for their success.

Every single $ of revenue they make (membership dues, gate takings, AFL distributions from broadcast agreement, sponsorship, etc) gets spent on covering expenses (paying footy players, coaches, admin, facilities, infrastructure, membership support, etc). There is no profit payed as dividends to shareholders.

What exactly are their costs? Security? Probably a couple grand there. Foxtel subscription to watch the footy? $65 there but probably free. Seating? Probably a sunk cost. Live entertainment? Probably free of charge, depends who they get, not expecting U2.

Big screen hire? A mate of mine hired one once and IIRC he paid $200,000 to hire one for four days.
Port-a-loo hire? Dunno what that would cost.
Temporary fencing around oval? Dunno what that would cost.
St Johns ambulance presence for crowd over certain size?
Staff to work on the day

What are their costs? If only 1000 people show up (will probably be more) they make $20'000, 5000 show up you have $100'000.

I reckon that they could easily go through $100K for an event like that.

I don't think it's unreasonable for the club to throw an event for the fans that will cost them nothing out of Goodwill rather than charging people $20 entry. Completely different to the Margaret Court situation last week.

If Collingwood win they’ll put on a presentation the next day (free). They’ll have the annual member’s forum (free), the AGM (free). All those will have expenses that the club has to pay for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tickets end up being 26.50 because Ticketek are scum.

Should cost less but I’ve got my ticket. I wish I could go to the G but at least I’ll be watching with an army of the Magpie faithful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am waiting to see if l have got two tickets to the GF, if not l purchased two tix to the live site, just in case!.

My dad suggested we go to this so we could be amongst the action on the day as I'd never been to a Grand Final and as of right now I don't think I'll be going this year :(

It is superior to watching it from the comfort of my home on a massive TV?

Are these live sites any good or just too crowded and not an enjoyable experience? Asking for a friend.
It is superior to watching it from the comfort of my home on a massive TV?

I reckon the atmosphere could very well be better than being at the actual game.

I reckon the atmosphere could very well be better than being at the actual game.
What happens afterwards in the event we possibly win? Just raid the MCG or stay put at Olympic for a presentation?

What happens afterwards in the event we possibly win? Just raid the MCG or stay put at Olympic for a presentation?

Good question.

If we win, would have thought Olympic Park Oval would be the place to be.

(IIRC in 2010 they went back to AAMI Park afterwards)

Good question.

Ed confirming on his Hot breakfast show that they will , win or not , they will be going over to the Olympic Park Oval

Good question.

You remember correctly because I remember being there :)

Times have changed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back