Collingwood versus Essendon

Who wins?

• Collingwood

Votes: 74 50.0%
  • Essendon

Votes: 74 50.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn’t be talking if I were you, Richmond have an interstate game next week.....
but you guys are so good
the instant we just fell over the line by 43 points against you made us instant favourites for the next three flags

Especially for a game that they won.

It’s seriously strange isn’t it...

To be fair, they probably still struggle to believe it. After they wanted to sack their coach the year before. It's funny though. The players stuck behind Buckley the same way as the Richmond ones did with Hardwick

I am really looking forward to this game as a neutral. So much so that I've decided to go.

In the boxing game, they say styles make fights. This will be a battle of styles.

Collingwood are down on personnel. This is no good. I've loved the way they've gone about it this year. Have they lost one too many soldiers? Breaking point must be close. Pressure on opposition has been superb.

Essendon in full flight are awesome to watch. Fast, flowing football, great leg speed, fast ball movement. That first quarter against the Eagles....

The thing I said before the start of the season was that the Bombers struggle against sides that apply high pressure. So far, this has been the case. When you push back at Essendon and squeeze them, stop their run, they freeze. They go back to chipping it around and don't take the game on.

The Bombers beat Geelong in Round 9, convincingly. Geelong are not a high pressure side on a consistent basis.
They then beat the Giants away. Again, not a consistent defensively high pressure side.

They faced the Tiges on a roll and got stopped in their tracks.

Their Anzac Day game last time these teams met was similar. Collingwood stopped Essendon playing the Essendon way. (which is superb to watch).

Essendon are definitely playing better now than then, and Collingwood are going to struggle with the players that are out. Can they keep the same system going with "lesser" players filling the holes?

My guess is no, Ess by 27pts.

Last edited:
I am really looking forward to this game as a neutral. So much so that I've decided to go.

In the boxing game, they say styles make fights. This will be a battle of styles.

Collingwood are down on personnel. This is no good. I've loved the way they've gone about it this year. Have they lost one too many soldiers? Breaking point must be close. Pressure on opposition has been superb.

Essendon in full flight are awesome to watch. Fast, flowing football, great leg speed, fast ball movement. That first quarter against the Eagles....

The thing I said before the start of the season was that the Bombers struggle against sides that apply high pressure. So far, this has been the case. When you push back at Essendon and squeeze them, stop their run, they freeze. They go back to chipping it around and don't take the game on.

The Bombers beat Geelong in Round 9, convincingly. Geelong are not a high pressure side on a consistent basis.
They then beat the Giants away. Again, not a consistent defensively high pressure side.

Their Anzac Day game last time these teams met was similar. Collingwood stopped Essendon laying the Essendon way. (which is superb to watch).

Essendon are definitely playing better now than then, and Collingwood are going to struggle with the players that are out. Can they keep the same system going with "lesser" players filling the holes?

nice summary.

Summed us up well.
When we won early in the season (Adel, Port), i couldn't help but feel those teams played poorly and we capitalised.

The last 6 weeks, i've seen a different essendon side. We're no longer relying on teams to wilt, but making it happen.
The outlier is the richmond game, but we struggle two fold there - you pressure our half backs and even if we did get through, your defence was too good.
Zaka getting crunched out of the game probably didn't help either.

Will be a game of pace vs perseverance.
Collingwood are well drilled and well coached. But i feel the personnel they are down is going to make this quite a mountain to climb.

Cox is just as likely to come out and take 14 contested marks and kick 8 goals though.

Their Anzac Day game last time these teams met was similar. Collingwood stopped Essendon laying the Essendon way. (which is superb to watch).

Nice to see Richmond fans really contribute on a post, that's a concise argument for and against both teams. Ripping post. Also, Essendon have been putting a tonne of ball carrier pressure on since Neeld left.

Bombers don't win by more than a few goals. Unfortunately, dominance for us doesn't equate to putting a team away, so there is always a chance for the opposition, no matter how one sided the game may have been. I don't think they will be safe at any stage of they are up.

When they are down though, we seem to be a team that others can put to the sword.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bombers don't win by more than a few goals. Unfortunately, dominance for us doesn't equate to putting a team away, so there is always a chance for the opposition, no matter how one sided the game may have been. I don't think they will be safe at any stage of they are up.

When they are down though, we seem to be a team that others can put to the sword.
trying to remember our last win over 40pts.
was it the demolition of the Dees?

I do reckon people are getting the wrong idea about us based on the North Melbourne game or perhaps I could say it like this "we haven't yet changed the perception about how we play". Most of our wins in the last 6 weeks have been built on pressure and we've kept our opposition to lower scores (our loss to Richmond and the North game were the only ones we've conceded 100 in during that time). We've regularly got over 80 tackles in that time period.

One of the things that people aren't noticing is that we are also starting our scoring from the centre a lot more now. Yes our half backs in Saad and McKenna can run really fast but I heard on AFL 360 that from rounds 9-15 we were the #1 rated clearance differential side (rounds 1-8 we were #13). I know against North we scored a lot from clearances rather than relying purely on turnovers.

Its going to take time to establish a new identity and consistency of performance which we haven't yet achieved. In fact the North game despite the offensive brilliance, we probably let ourselves down defensively. I do think we are aiming to be a much different team to the one that got smashed by Sydney in the 2017 finals.

I do reckon people are getting the wrong idea about us based on the North Melbourne game or perhaps I could say it like this "we haven't yet changed the perception about how we play". Most of our wins in the last 6 weeks have been built on pressure and we've kept our opposition to lower scores (our loss to Richmond and the North game were the only ones we've conceded 100 in during that time). We've regularly got over 80 tackles in that time period.
That's your game. That's fine. I wasn't pointing that out in my summation.

I think it is when pressure is APPLIED that Essendon struggle. The other side of the coin so to speak. You have struggled to deal with good oppo pressure teams this season.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="blitzer, post: 56585868, member: 30170"]I do reckon people are getting the wrong idea about us based on the North Melbourne game or perhaps I could say it like this "we haven't yet changed the perception about how we play". Most of our wins in the last 6 weeks have been built on pressure and we've kept our opposition to lower scores (our loss to Richmond and the North game were the only ones we've conceded 100 in during that time). We've regularly got over 80 tackles in that time period.
That's your game. That's fine. I wasn't pointing that out in my summation.

I think it is when pressure is APPLIED that Essendon struggle. The other side of the coin so to speak. You have struggled to deal with good oppo pressure teams this season.

No issues with you saying that we've struggled at times when opposition have applied good pressure but I think a large part of it was that we were struggling through the midfield during most of the first 8 weeks. Its much harder to respond to strong pressure when you're stuck in your back half all the time and they can build up their zone as opposed to when your winning your share of clearances as we are doing now (well actually more than our share).

We didn't lose all our games early because all our opponents were applying super pressure. Maybe once or twice that was true but for the most part it was because we were losing through the midfield, we were carrying a few guys with injuries and we hadn't yet adjusted to changes in personnel and game plan. Basically we've just tidied things up across the board and started to get better performances from some key players.

No issues with you saying that we've struggled at times when opposition have applied good pressure but I think a large part of it was that we were struggling through the midfield during most of the first 8 weeks. Its much harder to respond to strong pressure when you're stuck in your back half all the time and they can build up their zone as opposed to when your winning your share of clearances as we are doing now (well actually more than our share).

We didn't lose all our games early because all our opponents were applying super pressure. Maybe once or twice that was true but for the most part it was because we were losing through the midfield, we were carrying a few guys with injuries and we hadn't yet adjusted to changes in personnel and game plan. Basically we've just tidied things up across the board and started to get better performances from some key players.
Looking fwd to it, first neutral game I've made the effort to get to, should be a ripper.

Back