List Mgmt. Dan McStays 3 yr deal

Remove this Banner Ad

He's got hunger which really is all you can ask for someone who is still getting to their best (and I think McStays best is still to come).

As our forwards continue to work off each other and grow more comfortable I think his role will be really important for us.

Well Done Mcstay!

3KZ is Football has just thrown all his toys out of the cot
Not at all. I actually rate McStay, just not as a full forward. He has great comedy potential in that role, but we need more. Having said that, if he can start holding his marks, kicking straight and making an impact on the scoreboard, I will change my tune. He is to our side today what Noel Mugavin was to Fitzroy in the late 70’s and early 80’s.

I have no doubt a few clubs were giving his manager a call.
Warrnambool, Camperdown, Terang, South Warrnambool, North Warrnambool, Cobden.

Warrnambool, Camperdown, Terang, South Warrnambool, North Warrnambool, Cobden.
Pretty tiresome angle in what should be a positive thread about a player re-signing.

Pretty tiresome angle in what should be a positive thread about a player re-signing.
I was actually joking. I am genuinely happy that he has resigned. GENUINELY HAPPY.

Last edited:
People who doubt what McStay need to remember we're the second highest scoring team in the AFL and a big reason is due to McStay, Hipwood and O crashing packs and competing in the air. We have the best smalls in the comp and they're giving them the chance to win the ball. Hugely important role.

Fantastic news!

Must admit, I was always quietly confident Dan would re-sign based on conversations with Dan's parents at a recent Lions function. Not only are Dan's parents invested in the club, but it was evident from them that Dan was too. Hence why I was surprised when someone mentioned that he had been shopping himself around (or his manager anyways) which didn't accord that over a month or so ago Jon Ralph reported that both McStay and Martin would be re-signed in the coming weeks.

I'm genuinely rapt for him too; I'm a real fan of his.

3 years is a big vote of confidence. He's dropped off a bit the last few weeks but where else are you going to get a 24 year old with his physical make up and the ability when he brings it . Does a lot of team things.

Two second chat with a coach after the Demons game at the Gabba who, when referencing Mcstay simply said, “Doesn’t come out of the fwd fifty like it use to does it?”
Obviously the kid is measured on his ability to keep it in there and crash packs and get it to ground or allow it to get over the line in the pockets where we are great at scoring from stoppages.
We need this kid for that and don’t have anyone else who can do it as well at the moment. And I’m shooting from the hip but he rarely gives away free kicks when he does it either. And if he kicks a couple, great!

3 years is a big vote of confidence for a 24 year old who is still fairly average.

I'd playing an important role at the moment but it wouldn't be that surprising to see him left out of the side at some point soon

I mean hes CLEARLY doing SOMETHING right that the coaches are asking him to do, which we dont have anyone else capable of doing so...Whats your definition of soon?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not at all. I actually rate McStay, just not as a full forward. He has great comedy potential in that role, but we need more. Having said that, if he can start holding his marks, kicking straight and making an impact on the scoreboard, I will change my tune. He is to our side today what Noel Mugavin was to Fitzroy in the late 70’s and early 80’s.
Thank God he went to Richmond.

Must admit, I was always quietly confident Dan would re-sign based on conversations with Dan's parents at a recent Lions function. Not only are Dan's parents invested in the club, but it was evident from them that Dan was too. Hence why I was surprised when someone mentioned that he had been shopping himself around (or his manager anyways) which didn't accord that over a month or so ago Jon Ralph reported that both McStay and Martin would be re-signed in the coming weeks.

I'm genuinely rapt for him too; I'm a real fan of his.
My intel says he did actually shop himself around 100% however Brisbane's offer was his best option. Smart way to secure his future and one that most AFL players go about it.

I mean hes CLEARLY doing SOMETHING right that the coaches are asking him to do, which we dont have anyone else capable of doing so...Whats your definition of soon?

Within the 3 years.

Not saying he doesn't deserve his spot and he’s playing his role. He’s just not bring much more than that and not sure he’d be top 15 in the best and fairest.

I think giving him 3 years is a vote of confidence that he could make that jump by kicking 50% more goals and winning 50% more disposals.

Within the 3 years.

Not saying he doesn't deserve his spot and he’s playing his role. He’s just not bring much more than that and not sure he’d be top 15 in the best and fairest.

I think giving him 3 years is a vote of confidence that he could make that jump by kicking 50% more goals and winning 50% more disposals.

The only thing he's missing is consistent goals each game. If he can add that to his current output, he'd be in a very good position for a pay rise in three years time.

The only thing he's missing is consistent goals each game. If he can add that to his current output, he'd be in a very good position for a pay rise in three years time.

He'd be a free agent as well

Spot on Nunez. If Dan can start holding marks and kicking goals he will be a fantastic full forward. He will be able to do all of the disruptive things that he does, which works to bring our small forwards into the play AND he will be able to hit the scoreboard in his own right.

Dis agree. When he is switched on he's good. When his head is in the clouds, he may as well be on the sideline & give someone whose effort is there all the time. Inconsistency is what he has been consistent at all his career at Brisbane. If he contributes more, he will be an asset. His goal kicking isn't good but there are other aspects of his game that needs more attention. For me, most of Dan's issues are in his head. Develop his mental toughness and he will be a weapon.

Dis agree. When he is switched on he's good. When his head is in the clouds, he may as well be on the sideline & give someone whose effort is there all the time. Inconsistency is what he has been consistent at all his career at Brisbane. If he contributes more, he will be an asset. His goal kicking isn't good but there are other aspects of his game that needs more attention. For me, most of Dan's issues are in his head. Develop his mental toughness and he will be a weapon.
I fail to think of a game ‘this year’ where his head hasn’t been in the game?

I certainly agree to an extent, but think this year is the first year he's begun to find consistency. The trajectory is finally pointing up in that regard and think the rest of his game is becoming fairly well rounded.

I tend to fall into the camp that he is doing a lot right, just not kicking enough goals but that he isn't far away. I've had a quick look at the stats for the leading goalkickers and they bear out that, apart from Cameron who is the clear leader in all categories bar tackles, he isn't far behind the others. Especially when you consider his kick to handball ratio is the lowest of the group:
Kicks Handballs Disposals Marks Tackles Goals Scores
D.McStay 5.3 5.1 10.4 4.1 2.1 1.0 17.14

Cameron 11.7 4.6 16.4 6.8 1.2 3.2 54.38

T. Lynch 7.1 2.5 9.6 4.6 1.5 2.4 40.24

B. Brown 8.4 2.5 10.9 5.0 1.0 2.7 46.26

Last edited:
I fail to think of a game ‘this year’ where his head hasn’t been in the game?
Almost every game he plays. Last week was typical. If you have the time &/or energy, watch him play as an individual player. See where he runs and observe times where he seems like he doesn't want to be there and the lack of effort he gives...….......
Anyway, I would rather focus on his positives and they are all exciting. Happy he has officially re-signed, it was a done deal weeks ago. Go Lions.

Oh the Mug! Friends & I used to call him Fitzroy's secret weapon. Bring him on for a few minutes & he'd make an impact, sometimes good, sometimes not! McStay is a much better mark & a better player than the Mug though. He just needs more confidence in his kicking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back