Review Dees v Demetriou's Love Child: the Good, Bad & Fugly - Rd 23, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Good: James Harmes has been unbelievable.
Sam Frost has been unbelievable
Going into finals wi
16 marks inside 50. It wasn’t as clean as it could of been, but one of our better days going forward

27 scoring shots from 54 entries, Giants 17 scoring shots from 50 entires
im sure we can do something to work it out but no Hogan improves our forward entries 110%

I think that's the best I've seen us play.

Good:
- The crunchingness of our tackling
- Our drive from defence
- Playing with UNPRECEDENTED confidence

Bad:
Nil

Fugly:
They decide to finally make finals the week (last week) I move interstate to Hobart. Moved to Melbourne in 2008, left a fortnight ago. This team..

Good: James Harmes has been unbelievable.
Sam Frost has been unbelievable
Going into finals wi

im sure we can do something to work it out but no Hogan improves our forward entries 110%

If it was bad, what can we do to improve it?

Reckon I teared up for a second there. All those blue and red flags in the air in the third, crowd was electric, GWS getting absolutely pumped. What a beautiful sight.

All in all that was a bloody wonderful afternoon!

Same that third quarter when it seemed that we had a match winning lead (you can never be confident) I had a tinie tiny tear just I had a brief flashing thought of the bad times and how good this feels.

the forward entries? Not bomb it long to Hoges every time as he just tries to out wrestle his opponent. Allows the opposition to win the ball and attack which has been our Achilles all year , trying to stop the oppo scoring so easily once they win the ball inside our forward 50. No Hogan and we immediately look for other options which are there and don’t just bomb long every time. Hitting up blokes 35-40n out. We have a dangerous forward line if we use it correctly.

the forward entries? Not bomb it long to Hoges every time as he just tries to out wrestle his opponent. Allows the opposition to win the ball and attack which has been our Achilles all year , trying to stop the oppo scoring so easily once they win the ball inside our forward 50. No Hogan and we immediately look for other options which are there and don’t just bomb long every time. Hitting up blokes 35-40n out. We have a dangerous forward line if we use it correctly.

I meant more specifically today, others were saying it wasn’t good or still needs work, the last two weeks has been very good.

Today we defended the transition as good as I have ever seen.

That 3rd quarter today was just awesome. Best we’ve looked all year, if they can play like that vs Geelong it’s gonna be a Good Friday night!

Absolutely rollicking win! Man we can beat anyone if we play like that, injuries be damned.

Ugly: Injuries, the jumper.

Good: everything. Special mention to that line break and kick by Frost into our forward line, woweee that was awesome

Bad: nothing, even the umpiring was good.

I think that's the best I've seen us play.

Good:
- The crunchingness of our tackling
- Our drive from defence
- Playing with UNPRECEDENTED confidence

Bad:
Nil

Fugly:
They decide to finally make finals the week (last week) I move interstate to Hobart. Moved to Melbourne in 2008, left a fortnight ago. This team..
Moving to Hobart will be the best thing you ever did. Welcome :)

I meant more specifically today, others were saying it wasn’t good or still needs work, the last two weeks has been very good.

Today we defended the transition as good as I have ever seen.
Ok sorry. I watched us live last week for only the second time all year. In terms of defensive transition we were lucky the eagles disposal was ordinary . It’s easy to see live how easily we can be scores against.

Today I thought forward entries were much improved. Didn’t bomb long as much , same as last week. Is that a no Hogan thing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok sorry. I watched us live last week for only the second time all year. In terms of defensive transition we were lucky the eagles disposal was ordinary . It’s easy to see live how easily we can be scores against.

Today I thought forward entries were much improved. Didn’t bomb long as much , same as last week. Is that a no Hogan thing?

Time will tell, no doubt last week with a mobile forward line we focused more on short kicks. I don’t think the answer is to trade hogan out, lets just get better at Kicking forward with him in the side

Congratulations on the dominant win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats for the match. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often players started as one of your 5 mids at bounces.

There were 27 bounces

Harmes 24
Oliver 23
Jones 22 (11i, 11w)
Brayshaw 21
vandenBerg 18 (17w, 1i)
Tyson (inj) 11 (10w, 1i)
JKH 8 wing
Spargo 4 wing
Fritsch 3 wing
Neal-Bullen 1 wing

Rucks:
Gawn 21
Weideman 3
T.McDonald 3

Breakdown by Halves:

1st Half - 14 Bounces

Harmes 12
Oliver 12
Jones 11 (7i, 4w)
Tyson 11 (10w, 1i)
vandenBerg 10 wing
Brayshaw 10
Spargo 4 wing

2nd Half - 13 Bounces

Harmes 12
Oliver 11
Jones 11 (7w, 4i)
Brayshaw 11
vandenBerg 8 (7w, 1i)
JKH 8 wing
Fritsch 3 wing
Neal-Bullen 1 wing

That 3rd quarter was fantastic, I am so happy with how we played. We had a wasteful first half but 2nd half was lambs to the slaughter, we brutalized them around the contest. Frost starting the chain that lead to ANBs first goal was absolutely play of the day.

good:
spargo and his pressure / touches that resulted in goals
frost - wow always loved him but he's really cleaned up his disposal and is a beast 1 on 1
gawn - was involved in everything today

team - pressure, tackling and willingness to just go and move hard and fast was fantastic. We hit some GWS players really hard. special call out to spargos bump in the 4th.

bad:
we still look very vulnerable on defensive transition, lots of un contested ball movement. GWS were very clean switching it and carving us up at times.

Fugly:
injuries - kent and tyson really are fantastic depth for a team like us and sit in that top 25 players.

Who does not roar with laughter when Frosty does his headless-chicken runs! I have been with him in a lift. I am six foot and weigh 90k - I was like a feather compared with this guy! Who would want to get in his way!

Some underrated players today:

Lewis - Composed and great attack on the ball
Salem - Lewis jnr but actually can tackle
Spargo - Didn't exactly dominate but had at least two direct goal assists and plenty of score involvement
Jetta - His tackling is so satisfying to watch

Frost and Harmes were extremely great. Spargo works his arse off and laid a monster bump in The last quarter. Nev nevved like Nev usually nevs.

I’ve never been so relaxed at the footy. Cracking day.

Wow. Tough, skilful footy. Is this real life?

Harmes is forcing his way into being an elite level player. And Gawn is a star, those chases down the wing
Loved Gawn’s commitment and knew he was never going to stop chasing, but all I could think was “please don’t ping a hammy!”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back