Review Dees v Lions Götterdämmerung: the Twilight of the Gods: good, bad and fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Good:
Avoid embarrassing ourselves in front of Geelong next week. Pretty sure they’ll pump Brisbane but surely the Lions are a better chance given how cooked we looked late.

Petracca, Harmes, ANB and Petty all busted their campaigners on a dirty night.

Bad:
12 goals to 5 from 28 points up with 16 seconds to go in the second. Every loss we’ve had this year bar Geelong has been similar. We get to a point of putting the game out of reach and then get really passive when the opposition gets a run on. At first we blamed loading and then it was injuries, surely the biggest factor is mindset?

Salem, Jackson, Viney, Brayshaw, Gawn, Oliver were passengers.

Fugly
The forward line
Undisciplined s**t from Pickett and Lever in the last
Sparrow, Brown and Rivers were all mind bogglingly s**t.

which one? :$

Bloke didn't lay one tackle and torched many opportunities going forward

His role isn't working
My favourite was the non-shank where he thought about kicking to three different options but decided the best one was to run too far.
🤗

Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

Here’s some random thoughts…You missed an opportunity this year but still have all the key pieces to challenge again. Lever & May are quality and Petraca & Oliver are stars. (Oliver had his eye gouged so I understand his quiet second half - a real dog act; that should be at least four weeks suspension and a ejection from the game in an ideal world.) Ben Brown doesn’t clunk enough marks to warrant his position in the side. Also, for such a great player Gawn can look ordinary when the heat is truly on. I felt Goodwin could have made some positional changes in the 3rd quarter to stop the Lions momentum. Gunston would be an instant 40-50 goal player for you guys & has at least another 2 years in him.

One last thing…the umpiring in general is really poor. The ‘holding the ball/incorrect disposal’ is a real s-show. Also, it appears you can blatantly push someone in the back to take a mark. Further, the Lions goal at the end of the 2nd quarter should not have been allowed. It took longer than 10 seconds. Some critical decisions in the 2nd half went Brisbane’s way which changed the momentum.

Last edited:
Here’s some random thoughts…You missed an opportunity this year but still have all the key pieces to challenge again. Lever & May are quality and Petraca & Oliver are stars. (Oliver had his eye gouged so I understand his quiet second half - a real dog act; that should be at least four weeks suspension and a ejection from the game in an ideal world.) Ben Brown doesn’t clunk enough marks to warrant his position in the side. Also, for such a great player Gawn can look ordinary when the heat is truly on. I felt Goodwin could have made some positional changes in the 3rd quarter to stop the Lions momentum. Gunston would be an instant 40-50 goal player for you guys & has at least another 2 years in him.

One last thing…the umpiring in general is really poor. The ‘holding the ball/incorrect disposal’ is a real s-show. Also, it appears you can blatantly push someone in the back to take a mark. Further, the Lions goal at the end of the 2nd quarter should not have been allowed. It took longer than 10 seconds. Some critical decisions in the 2nd half went Brisbane’s way which changed the momentum.
We lost because we didn’t make the most of our opportunities and the Lions brought the pressure.

But agree Gunston would instantly make us a more dangerous team going forward.

I think the commentary around Lever has been a bit ott. He shouldn't have given away the 50 but as soon as the free was called the game was over.

Even if he hadn't given away the free it would have taken a series of miraculous events to win from there. Every touch would have to have been perfect, every bounce going our way.

Lever probably should have tried to knock it back inboard and hope like hell the next player to it was in red and blue. An all or nothing attempt, but we didn't have a chance otherwise.

Bit sobering. Someone died at the game tonight. Witnessed closely by some family and friends. Just collapsed and hit his head on the ground. Couldn't be resuscitated. Got over the result very quickly hearing about that.
A man slipped down a flight of stairs in MCC members (between Levels 3 & 4) about 5 minutes before the final siren. He hit his head, and was in a very bad way. My friend (a nurse) attended to him. A very short time later 2 doctors came past and took over. Needless to say an ambulance was called, and I understand that the area was roped off. I presume that this wasn't the same incident?

Yes, these incidents certainly put things in perspective.

A man slipped down a flight of stairs in MCC members (between Levels 3 & 4) about 5 minutes before the final siren. He hit his head, and was in a very bad way. My friend (a nurse) attended to him. A very short time later 2 doctors came past and took over. Needless to say an ambulance was called, and I understand that the area was roped off. I presume that this wasn't the same incident?

Yes, these incidents certainly put things in perspective.
Yeah totally different incident sounds like. I think I saw those stairs roped off as I was leaving.

The one I heard about happened in the FGS Bar. Bloke apparently just collapsed out of nowhere. If they happened at similar times that would explain why it took Ambos so long to get to the other one.

Gave up 5 goals from the 28 min mark onwards on Friday night.

Classic retro Dees.
I thought the game was done as soon as Ah Chee kicked the half time goal. Everyone around me was like 'why is he so frustrated - they're up 44-22'. Just when it couldn't get any worse Brisbane kicked 2 goals in 15 seconds before 3/4 time. So 5 goals from the 28 min mark doesn't really paint a picture of how bad it was. It was 3 goals in the last 20 seconds.

The lack of game sense of players to not play the clock is beyond frustrating. I could've done a better job locking that ball in. I would've saved us 3 goals. Which would've been the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought the game was done as soon as Ah Chee kicked the half time goal. Everyone around me was like 'why is he so frustrated - they're up 44-22'. Just when it couldn't get any worse Brisbane kicked 2 goals in 15 seconds before 3/4 time. So 5 goals from the 28 min mark doesn't really paint a picture of how bad it was. It was 3 goals in the last 20 seconds.

The lack of game sense of players to not play the clock is beyond frustrating. I could've done a better job locking that ball in. I would've saved us 3 goals. Which would've been the game.
Reminds me of that post about the bloke last year who claimed he went to bed at half time during Granny because he knew we would go on to smash the Dogs from there.

Edit: Found it.
So normally I am super inclusive, but when it came to hosting a mini grand final party for my own team, I figured I was within my rights to be at least a bit selective. Didn't invite one guy because he is an incredible know-it-all that shits me up the wall.

Chatting to him later on in the weekend, my worries were justified.

"I watched the first half and then turned off the TV because I knew it was over"

"Really? You thought the Dogs would just run away with it after gaining a slight lead?"

"No, I knew melbourne would run away with it... it was obvious, I've watched so much of both teams this year to know that the Dees were home then so I just switched off the game"

Last edited:
Anyone find it weird before the game when the MC was getting ready and the whole stadium fell silent on its own like we all noticed the principal was waiting for everyone to shut up at assembly.

Anyone find it weird before the game when the MC was getting ready and the whole stadium fell silent on its own like we all noticed the principal was waiting for everyone to shut up at assembly.
Yes. I thought I must have missed something!

Thought I'd gotten over this loss, but just thinking today, how tf did we drop that match after Kossie kicked that goal with the score being 44-16 before halftime, what a bunch of campaigners, gah.

Thought I'd gotten over this loss, but just thinking today, how tf did we drop that match after Kossie kicked that goal with the score being 44-16 before halftime, what a bunch of campaigners, gah.
Kind of glad for it in hindsight. Need to have our weaknesses laid bare. Worst thing would have been an honourable loss in a prelim.

I'm completely over it. Once we didn't change a single thing between qualifying final and semi it was all over anyway

Remove this Banner Ad

Back