Review Dees v Lions Götterdämmerung: the Twilight of the Gods: good, bad and fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Good:
Avoid embarrassing ourselves in front of Geelong next week. Pretty sure they’ll pump Brisbane but surely the Lions are a better chance given how cooked we looked late.

Petracca, Harmes, ANB and Petty all busted their campaigners on a dirty night.

Bad:
12 goals to 5 from 28 points up with 16 seconds to go in the second. Every loss we’ve had this year bar Geelong has been similar. We get to a point of putting the game out of reach and then get really passive when the opposition gets a run on. At first we blamed loading and then it was injuries, surely the biggest factor is mindset?

Salem, Jackson, Viney, Brayshaw, Gawn, Oliver were passengers.

Fugly
The forward line
Undisciplined s**t from Pickett and Lever in the last
Sparrow, Brown and Rivers were all mind bogglingly s**t.

This. Max was not going to play at all until the actual day of this game. His hip is cactus, and has been for the past 6 - 8 weeks. He is barely able to walk. A lesser being would have been in rehab. for the second half of the season, after undergoing major surgery.
This offseason has some post 2018 vibes about it. So many players banged up

I can't take posts like this seriously
It's a game plan issue
It's a fitness issue

Can't be both. If it's fitness then the game plan is perfect because we've been basically 5 goals infront in every game except the cats which means the game plans great until the fitness fails. Terrible argument
Topkent, I agree that it's a fitness issue as well as a game plan issue. But these are 2 issues which are easier to fix than personnel issues. if we replace Ben Brown with a semi competent forward then we are automatically a 3 goal better team. The only danger of falling off a cliff is if we do a Geelong and double down and throw our future away at the trade table. It's a risk I wouldn't take.

It's better that we lost to Brisbane than playing poorly but winning and then losing to Geelong. Goodwin would hang his hat on making a prelim and do nothing. But chasing Grundy shows he doesn't get the real issues

Agree with all your assessments except Picket.
he’s picked weekly on “reputation” and maybe a few other reasons, alone (ie marketing etc)

Hasn’t improved in any of the important fields compared with last year, except maybe trick shots at training. (Don’t believe me? Feel free to browse AFL Tables - Kysaiah Pickett - Stats - Statistics )
I’d argue he’s defensively worse, accuracy and number of goals has not improved, and he seems to “make” less tackles and smoothers.

He’s down in literally every stat department; less tackles, less contested possessions, more free kicks against.

yeah we all love him, but he’s simply not there on merit. What really annoys me is that he is capable - as we see every single year we play in NT, he dominates. (Again, if you look at his average stats per venue, you’d swear NT is his home ground)
But the bloke doesn’t want to go near opposition players, unless it’s a “damn I’m just too late” bump, which he must be the king of down field frees this year.

weak as piss, like a few of the leadership team

Kozzy did improve his accuracy and scoreboard impact though - 40.28 in 25 games last year versus 42.19 in 24 this year. Staggering to suggest he wasn’t picked on merit, he’s a 3rd year small forward with back to back 40 goal seasons. That’s miles ahead of what Cyril and Betts produced at the same age!

Topkent, I agree that it's a fitness issue as well as a game plan issue. But these are 2 issues which are easier to fix than personnel issues. if we replace Ben Brown with a semi competent forward then we are automatically a 3 goal better team. The only danger of falling off a cliff is if we do a Geelong and double down and throw our future away at the trade table. It's a risk I wouldn't take.

It's better that we lost to Brisbane than playing poorly but winning and then losing to Geelong. Goodwin would hang his hat on making a prelim and do nothing. But chasing Grundy shows he doesn't get the real issues

I’m ok with them chasing Grundy pending what we give up for him. If he dilutes the Jackson compo significantly then I’ll join you in melting.

Maybe Max is gonna be out for a while when whatever he's carrying get fixed and Goody needs a ruck for half the year?

Can't say I get the hard on for Grundy either, but if hes cheap and fit go for it

Our game plan is also crap to watch, I was #ATG last night and if you were blind you would be forgiven for thinking that was a Brisbane home game.

As per the ticket sales beforehand and just looking around, the crowd was at least 70% Melbourne supporters. We're not a loud bunch, but * me our team gives us absolutely nothing to work with. Meanwhile the way we are set up allows the opposition to kick these huge counter-attacking goals against the play that hypes everyone up. Brisbane fans were loud and obnoxious, same with Sydney. And why not, it's exciting what opposition teams do against us.

Same with Sydney and same with most games this season. I know many Melbourne supporters were not enthused even after being 10-0, but most didn't want to mention it and sound ungrateful lol. Well here we are, after watching us pathetically lose like 8 games at the G this year in the same manner I think we're allowed to complain about the way we play. It's crap, change it. I'm not watching another season of that.

Maybe we were just cooked though, certainly looked it. I agree with Topkent that it can't really be both fitness and gameplan.

I wouldn’t waste your time replying to him, he seems to know everything so I am sure he will be employed by the MFC in some coaching capacity soon enough to arrest our slide.

Brown - retire
Salem - trade
Hunt - trade
Sparrow - trade
Melksham - retire

Look at a Gunston or Hogan.

100% stand by this. He has all the pace and acceleration, but if you actually watch him at the game live, he runs around almost as if to get the gps k’s up, has ZERO defensive pressure, and as I mentioned, has an incredible knack of always just not getting to the opposition player with the ball (and then usually giving away a downfield free)

Yes he does kick some great goals occasionally, but so could a small ammos forward, who would also be an absolute passenger the other 95% of games.

This is literally the opposite of being true.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I wouldn’t waste your time replying to him, he seems to know everything so I am sure he will be employed by the MFC in some coaching capacity soon enough to arrest our slide.

Brown - retire
Salem - trade
Hunt - trade
Sparrow - trade
Melksham - retire

Look at a Gunston or Hogan.
Bad luck Dd. Amazing effort to finish 2nd considering you guys were indifferent all year. Just reboot and go again. You have the cattle. You have always been encouraging when talking Swans so get on us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This. Max was not going to play at all until the actual day of this game. His hip is cactus, and has been for the past 6 - 8 weeks. He is barely able to walk. A lesser being would have been in rehab. for the second half of the season, after undergoing major surgery.

Max returned from his ankle injury against us at KP and never looked right IMO. I remember he didn’t take a single mark in that game, first time it had happened in years (or his whole career?). Those syndesmosis injuries are nasty, Selwood carried one into a finals series once and had no impact. It seemed to me he came back far too early from that injury, and if he caused damage to his hip later in the season, it’s no wonder he looked a world away from 2021 prelim Max over the last fortnight.

You guys will be right up amongst it again next year, best of luck.

Agree with all your assessments except Picket.
he’s picked weekly on “reputation” and maybe a few other reasons, alone (ie marketing etc)

Hasn’t improved in any of the important fields compared with last year, except maybe trick shots at training. (Don’t believe me? Feel free to browse AFL Tables - Kysaiah Pickett - Stats - Statistics )
I’d argue he’s defensively worse, accuracy and number of goals has not improved, and he seems to “make” less tackles and smoothers.

He’s down in literally every stat department; less tackles, less contested possessions, more free kicks against.

yeah we all love him, but he’s simply not there on merit. What really annoys me is that he is capable - as we see every single year we play in NT, he dominates. (Again, if you look at his average stats per venue, you’d swear NT is his home ground)
But the bloke doesn’t want to go near opposition players, unless it’s a “damn I’m just too late” bump, which he must be the king of down field frees this year.

weak as piss, like a few of the leadership team
Sorry, i’m not going to call you racist, but this is a ******* stupid and unfair hill to die on.

Pickett kicked 42 goals. Spargo had single figures. Which one of our small forwards deserved a spot?? He also has more tackles than Spargo.

You gave him a bake last night and the same today.

Maybe have a think about why Pickett, one of our three 2019 draftees and the only one to play well this year, is the guy you’ve decided to pick on.

Bad luck Dd. Amazing effort to finish 2nd considering you guys were indifferent all year. Just reboot and go again. You have the cattle. You have always been encouraging when talking Swans so get on us.
I'm definitely on the swans. Although still a little dirty on those 50 metre penalties paid at crucial times. but when the dust settles, I'll be going for you. All in all a pretty boring finals series coming up. Geelong vs Coll/Syd should make for a close final hopefully.

Sorry, i’m not going to call you racist, but this is a ******* stupid and unfair hill to die on.

Pickett kicked 42 goals. Spargo had single figures. Which one of our small forwards deserved a spot?? He also has more tackles than Spargo.

You gave him a bake last night and the same today.

Maybe have a think about why Pickett, one of our three 2019 draftees and the only one to play well this year, is the guy you’ve decided to pick on.
I'm in the middle. he's one of the most talented players in the comp. But he still doesn't do the basics well. I think Goodwin hasn't helped him by not getting him involved in the game more by moving him up the field if going missing in games.
His down the field free kicks were costly last night, and his missed goal from 10m out, but his goals were good. So we've got to take the good with the bad. He was invisible against Sydney.

He needs to just be front and centre, slow down and be in the mix at more contests.

I'm definitely on the swans. Although still a little dirty on those 50 metre penalties paid at crucial times. but when the dust settles, I'll be going for you. All in all a pretty boring finals series coming up. Geelong vs Coll/Syd should make for a close final hopefully.
Lets hope so. As far as those 50's go the lack of discipline Melbourne have displayed the last couple of weeks has hurt you badly. 50's are always going to be a fine fine line and players need to realise that. All well and good in the heat of battle I suppose. Pickett is one bloke who has surprised me though with a couple he has given away. Seems way to footy smart to be doing it tbh.

Lets hope so. As far as those 50's go the lack of discipline Melbourne have displayed the last couple of weeks has hurt you badly. 50's are always going to be a fine fine line and players need to realise that. All well and good in the heat of battle I suppose. Pickett is one bloke who has surprised me though with a couple he has given away. Seems way to footy smart to be doing it tbh.
yeah Pickett doesn't have good game sense. He does a chase and he pushes a guy in the back at the end of his chase. It's dumb. Lever's 50's was another example of poor game sense and stupidity. The Harmes one was def a 50m vs you guys. But the buddy flops really turned the game on it's head. I hope they're not umpiring the grand final, and nor should they be. They would've been marked down considerably in their reviews after those howlers. So I hope Sydney make use of the win and beat Collingwood.

yeah Pickett doesn't have good game sense. He does a chase and he pushes a guy in the back at the end of his chase. It's dumb. Lever's 50's was another example of poor game sense and stupidity. The Harmes one was def a 50m vs you guys. But the buddy flops really turned the game on it's head. I hope they're not umpiring the grand final, and nor should they be. They would've been marked down considerably in their reviews after those howlers. So I hope Sydney make use of the win and beat Collingwood.
if there's one constant in picketts game, its the predictability that if he takes off like a madman at a guy going for a kick, he's going to thump him after he's disposed of it and give away a downfield 50. dude has a serious anger streak, loves to hit people, does it after every goal too. not a good look.

I think the commentary around Lever has been a bit ott. He shouldn't have given away the 50 but as soon as the free was called the game was over.

Time will tell, mate.

I've thought of another problem which could be addressed: Goody needs to get over his strange loyalty to certain players. He needs to get a harder edge and be willing to drop his "mates" when they're not getting the job done. As much as everybody likes a stable lineup, pressure for selection lifts motivation and standards in the group. In short, he needs to know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em.
I’m crossing fingers this will be one of the things he’s learned. He persevered with and out-of-form Salem and Nib who had a horrible year. Bowie should have stayed in after he came in later this year for Salem, and we should have tried another forward. I think Goody was just holding out hoping that Salem and Nibbler would recapture their Premiership player form. If nothing else, the fact that the miracle of everyone finding form by finals didn’t pan out, I would like to see some early use of debutants next year. I love a debut anyway, who doesn’t?

That and we've added a clause in Brayshaws contract that says he has to play midfield even though he's average as * there.
I’d say so, but Brayshaw is a grown-up. I think a bit of a conversation could reach an accomodation that is better for the team. I don’t mind rolling him through the midfield from time to time to give the opposition something different to look at, in fact putting some other faces in the middle just to change things up occasionally is something I would like to see more of. But yeah I prefer Gus outside, or half back. He plays that role pretty well - he finds good position and is often stupidly brave going back with the flight

I don't think I'm the only person who has this view but Lever doesn't do well when he actually has to man up. Prove me wrong though, more than welcome too but loves a good uncontested set up for intercept/ Rebound marks
Lever is very poor man-on-man, when he has the footy; and when the ball is loose in a dangerous area, in front of goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back