Review Dees v Lions: the Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Just finished having a bat. Last night was probably the best footy and most significant win since the Granny. Brisbane will be rightly scrutinised but it was a battle for a top 4 spot in hostile territory and we smashed the s**t out of them.

We linked up well, ran them ragged, our forwards got the ball to ground and our defence held up well when put under the pump.

Cricket season already is it? How'd you hit 'em? 🫣

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

One of those games where our mids played well but didn't all get 35-40 touches and everyone else contributed. Meant we were linking up all over the ground and moving the ball so much more fluidly.

Riv and Bowey in particular stood out for me, playing against some dangerous opponents and winning heaps of contests. Both so composed in a crunch game. Both were also a bit shaky in that first final against Brissy last year so to come out and play so assertively and confidently is great (especially Bowey as a late in). Hibb doing Hibb things and completely blanketing CC. May/Lever/Petty dominating the air. Crazy to think Brissy beat us inside50s, our defence looked so settled and calm the whole night. Back to absorbing inside 50s against the best attacking team on their home deck with everything to play for is beautiful.

Forward line looked crisp with the ball coming in much cleaner. Brissy' s defensive running is quite poor and not many of their defenders are overly quick and we exploited it brilliantly. So much space all night! Melky out of the goal square is working brilliantly at the moment and freeing BBB up a bit to get the 2nd defender and cash in a bit. How good Kozzy.

May also said in his post game that no doubt Goody would have a few "cards up his sleeve for finals". I honestly think he gets us to play a lot more aggresively with ball movement in finals/big games. It can't just be confidence levels - some of those kicks we were taking and creative flick ons were so "un-melbourne".
4D chess from Goody (always)

May also said in his post game that no doubt Goody would have a few "cards up his sleeve for finals". I honestly think he gets us to play a lot more aggresively with ball movement in finals/big games. It can't just be confidence levels - some of those kicks we were taking and creative flick ons were so "un-melbourne".
4D chess from Goody (always)

Hope youre right and it is that easy where we can flick the switch.

Im not convinced it is, we always score well and look a million bucks against Brisbane.

Swans will be a good test though of where we are at, they always play us tough, an impressive win vs them and we are a very good chance at going B2B.

Hope youre right and it is that easy where we can flick the switch.

Im not convinced it is, we always score well and look a million bucks against Brisbane.
I wish we always played Brisbane

SEN reporting that the comment from Zorko was based on the health of a family member of Petty's. Abortion is still a health matter, so doesn't rule out the rumour, but don't think we'll probably find out for sure.

Regardless, Zorko is a w***er and I wouldn't be upset if someone clobbers him before he retires

EDIT: realised this has been covered in the GDT. As you were

SEN reporting that the comment from Zorko was based on the health of a family member of Petty's. Abortion is still a health matter, so doesn't rule out the rumour, but don't think we'll probably find out for sure.

Regardless, Zorko is a w***er and I wouldn't be upset if someone clobbers him before he retires
Apparently the now famous Ryan Bastinac has gone on twitter calling the abortion claim as "weird s**t".

Apparently the now famous Ryan Bastinac has gone on twitter calling the abortion claim as "weird s**t".
Thought that was a strange rumour from the start – couldn't imagine Zorko having the mental capacity to string out a sledge of that length

Thought that was a strange rumour from the start – couldn't imagine Zorko having the mental capacity to string out a sledge of that length
I honestly think it is just one of those online rumours that emerges from nowhere - Grimesy must have picked it up somewhere online and reported it in the manner that he had an inside source. But it seems to be your regular elaborate bullshit. Bit hard on the cast of characters named though.

Reminds me of that crazy time where someone invented a whole saga about Alex Rance and Jack Higgins that went off on BF and Reddit. (Embarrassingly, a fair few fingers pointed at a Melbourne poster as the author - which was possibly true). That all culminated in a woman that nobody knew who had done nothing whatsoever to earn this having to make a public statement refuting the story. s**t behaviour by all involved. I was a bit mad at BF for not locking that one down

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keep seeing the highlights for the goals and the more I do the more I don't think we fixed a ******* thing going forward really. Brisbane defending was absolutely atrocious. The amount of times they spoiled a ball to a Melbourne player or left our smalls 20m of space was hilarious. We still bombed it to the pockets and kicked crap inside 50. No chance in hell any team this year defends that bad against us again

Keep seeing the highlights for the goals and the more I do the more I don't think we fixed a ******* thing going forward really. Brisbane defending was absolutely atrocious. The amount of times they spoiled a ball to a Melbourne player or left our smalls 20m of space was hilarious. We still bombed it to the pockets and kicked crap inside 50. No chance in hell any team this year defends that bad against us again

I thought our entries were better than usual, but Brisbane's defending was shite, youre right, not just punching, so slow to set up and far too loose manning up.

Bunch of downhill skiers who throw in the towel as soon as the game isn't on their terms. They are quite pathetic.

I thought our entries were better than usual, but Brisbane's defending was shite, youre right, not just punching, so slow to set up and far too loose manning up.

Bunch of downhill skiers who throw in the towel as soon as the game isn't on their terms. They are quite pathetic.
I don't know if our entries were much better, more so the drive from half back ment we had space to go forward. One of Pickett's goals Fritsch literally kicked it down Gardner's throat who dropped it and Pickett goals. Melks goal came from Gardner spoiling it into the corridor cause he didn't wanna mark it. Another of fristchs snaps came from Trac getting a crumb on the boundary from a long high kick.

Only thing I noticed that was different was we took on the game kicking out of D50 more which left space behind cause the lazy campaigner lions wouldn't run back. The swans will just start deeper on the field so that we don't have as much space.

I don't know if our entries were much better, more so the drive from half back ment we had space to go forward. One of Pickett's goals Fritsch literally kicked it down Gardner's throat who dropped it and Pickett goals. Melks goal came from Gardner spoiling it into the corridor cause he didn't wanna mark it. Another of fristchs snaps came from Trac getting a crumb on the boundary from a long high kick.

Only thing I noticed that was different was we took on the game kicking out of D50 more which left space behind cause the lazy campaigner lions wouldn't run back. The swans will just start deeper on the field so that we don't have as much space.

They were better mainly coz we got the ball in quicker giving our forwards better chances.

They were better mainly coz we got the ball in quicker giving our forwards better chances.
Gave em one on one atleast which we barely even won in the air, but Brisbanes defence was so bad we could just walk it in once it hit the ground. Gave space to Trac, Fritta and Koz which is just suicide.

You look at some of the entries like Rivers long kick to the pocket where Fritsch marked over Brown, Melks kick to Fritsch on the lead in the first quarter, Harmes kicking long to a two on two in the goal square where Langdon marked.

Instead of 7 on 7's we actually allowed our forwards an opportunity to do something.

You look at some of the entries like Rivers long kick to the pocket where Fritsch marked over Brown, Melks kick to Fritsch on the lead in the first quarter, Harmes kicking long to a two on two in the goal square where Langdon marked.

Instead of 7 on 7's we actually allowed our forwards an opportunity to do something.
Stevie Wonder and Blind Freddy could have seen 5 minutes in they needed to drop numbers back and play rebound footy against us. We don't work well at all with a crowded forward line because our mids don't have the foot skills to hit targets.

Stevie Wonder and Blind Freddy could have seen 5 minutes in they needed to drop numbers back and play rebound footy against us. We don't work well at all with a crowded forward line because our mids don't have the foot skills to hit targets.

Yep, dumb coach, dumb players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back