Review Dees v Maggies: the Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Im back on the Monash in the morning in peak hour. Fun times!

I can’t wait until next Sunday for them to finish the bloody Pakenham/Cranbourne line.

Wait it's supposed to be finished next Sunday? I'm on that line I thought it wasn't getting finished till like next year...

Wait it's supposed to be finished next Sunday? I'm on that line I thought it wasn't getting finished till like next year...
I’ve been told the current delays/bus detours finish up on Sunday. Overall works may not be finished yet, not sure.

Clearance work - Jack Viney's comments after the game were spot on, there is a trend emerging and it's time to nip it in the bud. With our game style if we don't at least break even here we are up against it
Surprised to hear Jack say this, given the warning signs were there last week when we lost the clearances to a side with very few inside mids by about 20. This was one of Roos' strengths as coach. Even in the games we lost in 2016, the clearances were generally within five either side. To lose by 20 when our side boasts Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw, Jones and Petracca - which on paper is the best in the competition - is the major concern amongst what has been a really good season of coaching by Goodwin.

Jack is the one who was meant to fly the flag yesterday, given he is captain and easily the most limited of the lot by foot, but he went at 23 touches, 4 clearances and 4 tackles at 60.9%. Oliver, who we all agree had a s**t game, went at 31 touches, 6 clearances and 10 tackles at 74.9%.

Tyson should obviously come back in to help redress this. Keep him inside at all costs. Petracca needs to move forward and stay there until he can be trusted to run a quarter out in midfield, never mind a half or all four. Who knows why Lewis wasn't called into the middle to keep them honest for a while when it became clear he was being outrun in defence.

Wouldn't have minded Bernie thrown in the guts for some physicality and something different, maybe even on to De Goey at QTR time? He did an excellent job tagging Zorko out of the game against Brisbane earlier on in the year and being around the ball is where he plays his best footy, even just so he can crunch a few people

That first holding the ball call is ******* bullshit. That s**t doesn't get called any other time or any other place yet at the first moments of the game the decide to give a free that clearly wasn't there.

On the couch highlighted that we reverted back to type under the bright lights.

One passage where McDonald and Pedo contested in our forward line and as the ball hit the ground 6 Melbourne players converged on it to crumb/pressure. Meanwhile 2 Collingwood players went for the ball and the rest held a circle about 8mtrs away and when the pies player flicked the ball out they had an easy exit under no pressure.

Happened all over the ground.
The crowd clearly got to the playing group.

Bit concerning that they still play that way in big games. The other concerning thing is the fact that we have 6 on 1 and still get smashed. It's weird that even at AFL level this happens. You can do all the stoppage practice at training but come game day it goes all out the door, players forget how to nominate who goes where ect. I say this because I feel this happens at my team local level so much pointless stoppage training drills when game day it just doesn't happen but I expect it should work at AFL level.

On the couch highlighted that we reverted back to type under the bright lights.

One passage where McDonald and Pedo contested in our forward line and as the ball hit the ground 6 Melbourne players converged on it to crumb/pressure. Meanwhile 2 Collingwood players went for the ball and the rest held a circle about 8mtrs away and when the pies player flicked the ball out they had an easy exit under no pressure.

Happened all over the ground.
The crowd clearly got to the playing group.

This is where our senior players failed. Needed to rise above that s**t and guide our youth.

Ugly: Wells hurting his foot, going to the rooms to get a jab and playing out the rest of the game, only for a scan to reveal high level damage to his lisfranc, which as our experience tells us, is his career over.

They may be flying on field, but their medical staff are the Nick Riviera of AFL medical teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit concerning that they still play that way in big games. The other concerning thing is the fact that we have 6 on 1 and still get smashed. It's weird that even at AFL level this happens. You can do all the stoppage practice at training but come game day it goes all out the door, players forget how to nominate who goes where ect. I say this because I feel this happens at my team local level so much pointless stoppage training drills when game day it just doesn't happen but I expect it should work at AFL level.

I started coaching my local reserves team this year, and still play as well.

We are sitting second 6 wins and 1 loss. The one game we lost was to the third placed side, we worked on a game plan during the week and in the first half the opposition overwhelmed us with pressure and we away from our game plan......long story short i think we people feel the pressure they go into survival mode/bad habits.

When the dees feel the pressure they no doubt revert back into old habits.

Surprised to hear Jack say this, given the warning signs were there last week when we lost the clearances to a side with very few inside mids by about 20. This was one of Roos' strengths as coach. Even in the games we lost in 2016, the clearances were generally within five either side. To lose by 20 when our side boasts Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw, Jones and Petracca - which on paper is the best in the competition - is the major concern amongst what has been a really good season of coaching by Goodwin.

Jack is the one who was meant to fly the flag yesterday, given he is captain and easily the most limited of the lot by foot, but he went at 23 touches, 4 clearances and 4 tackles at 60.9%. Oliver, who we all agree had a s**t game, went at 31 touches, 6 clearances and 10 tackles at 74.9%.

Tyson should obviously come back in to help redress this. Keep him inside at all costs. Petracca needs to move forward and stay there until he can be trusted to run a quarter out in midfield, never mind a half or all four. Who knows why Lewis wasn't called into the middle to keep them honest for a while when it became clear he was being outrun in defence.
The Viney worship will take us nowhere. It’s amusing how much criticism Tyson gets when Viney is only a slightly better player yet immune to it, and at this stage one of the most overrated captains in the league. Love him, but he’s no Superman

The Viney worship will take us nowhere. It’s amusing how much criticism Tyson gets when Viney is only a slightly better player yet immune to it, and at this stage one of the most overrated captains in the league. Love him, but he’s no Superman
If his name wasn't Jack Viney there would be far more scrutiny on his atrocious record by foot. Is far more explosive than Dom though.

If his name wasn't Jack Viney there would be far more scrutiny on his atrocious record by foot. Is far more explosive than Dom though.

Ah, I see you two are back on the Tyson bandwagon. Viney has had a terrible injury run the past two years and is still a much better player than Tyson. I agree Tyson’s form at vfl level is excellent and I believe in rewarding that, but he isn’t close to Viney as a player.

We were smashed on the inside for several reasons, but the main one is that under the pressure of a big game and quality opposition we regressed to being sucked into the contest. The Pies held good numbers around and outside the contest while our players either got in each other's space (and hence received dinky little 1m hospital handballs) or were well shepherded away from the ball.

All comes down to experience and ability to play to the game plan. Oliver and Brayshaw are young, Viney is young and underdone and Jones must have been having Vietnam style flashbacks because he wasn't able to to lead or control the midfield group.

Gawn's taps often went the Pies way because they set up in the right positions at the contest. Whenever he tapped it out to a Melbourne player they usually had a Pies player putting a block on and other Pies loose and swooping in while the rest of our mids were busy standing at Gawn's feet.

Will surely be a good learning experience for the kids. Would Dom have helped? Maybe a little, but he wouldn't have been the difference.

Ah, I see you two are back on the Tyson bandwagon. Viney has had a terrible injury run the past two years and is still a much better player than Tyson. I agree Tyson’s form at vfl level is excellent and I believe in rewarding that, but he isn’t close to Viney as a player.
I don't think either of us have ever dropped off it? I mean, he's not elite but I still think we're a clearance mid short now that Lewis and Vince never run through there.

Upon watching tv replay Oliver was actually pretty damn good, didn’t see a lot of what he did at ground level. Also Smith had an excellent first quarter and Jetta one of the best defensive first halves I’ve seen in a while. Really came down to losing clearances and not being clean in the guts I reckon, not helped by a very hungry and quick pies side. Losing to Collingwood always sucks but I think we will bounce back.

I’m really excited for the Port game now because imo a win will be huge for our confidence after getting mauled on Monday. Just hope the midfield can fix their problems because if it can we will only lose to the very best sides with our lack of pace.

Ugly: Wells hurting his foot, going to the rooms to get a jab and playing out the rest of the game, only for a scan to reveal high level damage to his lisfranc, which as our experience tells us, is his career over.

They may be flying on field, but their medical staff are the Nick Riviera of AFL medical teams.
Can you imagine how this board would react if that happened to us. Mission would be drawn and quartered.

Surely legal action to follow. Wells heart didn’t look in it anyway so it would be an ideal way for him to sign off I reckon. Compelling legal case regardless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back