Review Dees v the Blood-Stained angels: the Good, Bad and Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

We’re backing in our formula and our ability to over come oppo trying to stop it. . I get it, You don’t chuck out what worked........ but we have to be better than last year and weren’t tonight.
IMO, our best is when we let go just a bit, and get flow going.
Over the top defence strangles our creativity. Boring dump kicks along the boundary slowing the balls progress, kills our forward structure. The

Oppo get too many numbers back, blocking all space.
Bad: it’s very tough to go all the way from here.
Well we need the extra weeks, to get our game tweaked, and for TMc to regain fitness.
We have the depth to counter losing some soldiers along this path.

IMO, our best is when we let go just a bit, and get flow going.
Over the top defence strangles our creativity. Boring dump kicks along the boundary slowing the balls progress, kills our forward structure. The

Oppo get too many numbers back, blocking all space.

Well we need the extra weeks, to get our game tweaked, and for TMc to regain fitness.
We have the depth to counter losing some soldiers along this path.
Few injuries might even work in our favour in forcing the coaches to give some younger talent from casey a shot

I think its a game plan problem. How many entries go to the left forward pocket? You think teams don't know this and plan how to defend and exit from there?

Also defence seems a little slow, little line breaking rebound with Lever, Rivers and Petty there. Salem isn't line breaking quick and Hunt is a headless chook. You need to play a game that has teams kicking long to a contest, when that doesn't happen and you spread the Dees defence they don't have the speed to stop one on one and definitely look shaky when the ball hits the ground. Don't know how many times Rivers fumbled, but it was glaring.

Having said that, cant imagine players like Viney and Brayshaw will play as poorly as that again. Some of the in and under fumbles really cost you time and space and that kind of break away from stoppages game Melbourne is known for.
I think Lever is the main culprit in the fumbles McSloppy contest.

Hes done it all season, dropping the pill at his ankles and hoping for as stoppage; but the opposition are awake to this and they hold him up and knock the ball to the outside, taking the ball and scoring.

This imo, has caused more stress amongst our back 6 thru the season (and with injuries throughout), and our cohesion has taken a slump because of the lesser rebounding ability.

This has also hurt imo, Langers, who was one of the main drivers from the short switch rebound from Levers work last year. Langers and May often peeled off to receive, and we were away along Langers wing. Speed and conviction last year going thru the wing, soaked up opponents, and allowed our players from the fat-side, to join the attack along the corridor.

Back to McSloppy Jake. He is poor in a one on one contest when he has the ball. He is slow over the ground, so when opposition play a tighter man on man against our defenders, our backline play makers feel the pressure, causing stress and fumbling.

This spreads to the team. Via poorer forward movement of the ball. Less time and space, is our enemy! as it is for all teams.

On the one hand we weren't too far out of it. The score was generally close, we had good stretches of momentum and coughed up some soft/arsey goals that on another night are missed. A few cleaner touches and we'd have been in with a good shot at winning
But the annoying thing for me was the lack of composure. Over/underhitting kicks and handballs, slight fumbles that break down play and invite pressure. The Swans seemed much cleaner at ground level all night. They never looked too panicked or rushed.
Our forward line turned into a mess again after the first quarter. Back to long slow bombs down the line but didn't have a front and centre all night. Forward pressure well down.
I think the invited pressure happened early at the stoppages in the middle, and around the ground. And i think your right, the pressure was felt by us... because of this little structural difference.

The Swans, when they won 1st touch, got the next disposal quickly away to another inside mid, or to an outrider... who had space, and would in-turn transit the ball well from there, to teammates forward of the contest.

This is imo, why they clearly won the clearances. And had better disposal efficiency.

On the other hand, Our inside bulls were sat on, and allowed to get closer to the ball, and were almost being held, before they touched the footy. Causing fumbles, and losing the ball to the Swans Mids, who would grab it and fire off a handball to an outrider. And away they went.

This gave momentum and pressure ascendancy to the Swans, and they maintained the all-ground pressure on us, the whole game.

"Bees-to-the-honeypot" was our game, and, by the way, our girls also do the same thing. Almost as if its a Melbourne Demon tradition.

IMO, its dumb inside footy. all eggs in one basket footy.

Its a bit of a Quandry, as we play a defensive brand footy around the ground, but we go all-in at stoppages, and cough up the footy, so the opposition get the clearance away.

Then we can defend again in our back-line. And kick along the boundary.

Viney and Jackson were *ing terrible at this last night. Stupid little pop handballs that even if they hit a target the bloke who gets it gets smashed.
Caused way too many turnovers doing that
Add Oliver as well. I can remember him dropping the ball cold at least 3 times, without being tackled at the moment. Just lost the handle... and a few fumbles here and there.

The whole side caught on and fumbled. And tried to rush possession and disposal of the ball.
As if we were overawed by the Swans, prior to the match.

Last edited:
Is Gawn THAT good anymore?
Hes copping way More attention, when going for his marks around the wings. And being brought to ground a lot.

And the umpires are missing a lot of free kicks to our talls, from the wings forward. Too much pushing in the lower back when leading at the ball, and also too much arm-chopping, when flying for the high ball.

We gave up 70 points from turnovers which is our worst of the season. Couldn't handle the pressure of the swans deep inside our D50
Wow, legitimately?! That's the game right there. Out of curiosity, does that include the 50m penalty goals? Because if that is 70 pts +18 pts from 50m penalties, we've effectively given them the game.

infuriating to hear him talk honestly, "it played out exactly as I thought it would" "we aren't that far away" "Sydney were outstanding" ... losing by 20 odd points is the same as 100 in a final ya dickhead. Keeping the scores tight for 3/4s with ultra conservative play isn't "we aren't that far away" its trying to keep it to a respectable margin by playing a pussy offensive game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

infuriating to hear him talk honestly, "it played out exactly as I thought it would" "we aren't that far away" "Sydney were outstanding" ... losing by 20 odd points is the same as 100 in a final ya dickhead. Keeping the scores tight for 3/4s with ultra conservative play isn't "we aren't that far away" its trying to keep it to a respectable margin by playing a pussy offensive game.

I lost interest half way through this . There is so much of Robbo i can take before wanting to vomit.

I lost interest half way through this . There is so much of Robbo i can take before wanting to vomit.

I didnt watch it all either, once Goody said Sydney were outstanding I had to close the vid before I punched a hole in the monitor.

Sydney played at the level I expected them to. They weren't outstanding by any means, they just had a cheat sheet to how the match would be played by us coz it was exactly the same as the way Simple Simon has had us play against them the two times prior.

See I agree, but also 3 goals from 50s an then it's a one goal game against honestly arguably the best side this year. Glass half full we aren't far off if.

See I agree, but also 3 goals from 50s an then it's a one goal game against honestly arguably the best side this year. Glass half full we aren't far off if.

Im never a believer in that, the game goes on a completely different course if you take away those 50s, far too simplistic.

The fact of the matter is we hold ourselves back with our inability to kill off opponents cause of our conservative offense.

I mean why try and put the foot down when you have momentum when you can keep the opposition in it by flooding your own forward line and predictably bombing it to the same spot instead.

“The last six weeks our forward line has actually operated probably the best it has for the whole year,” he said.

“It’s a consistent theme for us that when we start to struggle in some games our forward line can have some trouble scoring at times.

“But that’s not what we focus on the most in our game. We focus on our contest, our pressure, our defence and we get our offensive opportunities on the back of that.”

headinthesand.jpg

Our forward line has been poor all year. People were just blinded by the fact that we were scraping over the line against poor teams in the first 10 weeks. And it seems Simon has fallen victim to the same thing. It's almost too late to change things now. I would've thought that Simon understood the real issues but our interest in Grundy shows that Simple Simon just doesn't quite understand.

Let's look at the 3 best teams in the comp and who they're ruckman are: Darcy Cameron, Rhys Stanley and Hickey. Yet Goodwin wants Grundy and Gawn to be donkeys in the forward line. Frustrating. Over to you Jason Taylor to draft us out of this mess.

Looking at the other finals games scores
outside of the Thursday night shootout they were:

69-91
78-72
73-60

If we don't gift the Swans 3 goals from 50s/our other defensive lapses and we kick 1 or 2 of the chances we butchered we win that game.

Cats with the best forward line in the league only managed 9 more pts for the match but won.

Finals are games with very tight margins. I don't think we are that far off

Finals are games with very tight margins. I don't think we are that far off
Agree, concerned about forwardline entries but otherwise pretty confident. The melts in here from some have been outstanding though. Cairns 2020 level stuff.

Looking at the other finals games scores
outside of the Thursday night shootout they were:

69-91
78-72
73-60

If we don't gift the Swans 3 goals from 50s/our other defensive lapses and we kick 1 or 2 of the chances we butchered we win that game.

Stop using the "if we didnt give away 50s" narrative, you and I dont know which way the game goes if we dont give them away, its far to0 simplistic to say it plays out the exact same way minus 3 goals to them.

Bulldogs and Freo aren't winning a flag this year.

Cats and Pies intensity was at a completely different level to our game vs the Swans. That is what grand final and premiership teams look like.

Last edited:
Cats and Pies intensity was at a completely different level to our game vs the Swans.
Went to both games and simply can't agree with this. The main difference between our game and theirs was that the ball actually moved a lot more freely on Saturday. Sydney's mids kicked some arsey goals, whilst the Pies and Cats have way stronger forward lines than either of us meaning they had the ball a lot deeper. Lots of goal line scrambles. Sydney's intensity was the best of all four teams, ours the worst, but not by a lot.

Our fourth quarter was our main issue. It was like rd 21 vs Collingwood. We looked slow and unable to move the ball progressively.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back