Review Dees v the Dogs - End of Days indeed: the Good and Bad, Fugly and Calamitous

Remove this Banner Ad

Fugly: my level of desolation after I said that Bont was having a Dangerfield 2020-like GF in the first, and then he played a possible GOAT 20 minute patch before Trac decided he'd had enough

Great team performance, of course.

But special mentions to:

Petracca: obviously an absolute beast. Wasn't taking no for an answer.
Oliver: Wasn't too far off BOG himself. Great game. Got us out of jail in close traffic so many times.
Salem: He was super important in the first half. Without his effort, we might have started the second half a lot further behind.
Jackson: He was our real ruckman today. He was all over it. He will be better than peak Nic Nat in a couple of years. So young, and he's already nearly there. Tough and super athletic.
Fritsch: Made the most of his opportunities, that's all you need from a guy like him.
Gawn: Not because he had a great game, but because he kept his head up all game. A real captains game.
Gus: He was a Swiss Army knife - worked hard and did everything.
Brown: The goals are nice of course, but the structure he added to our side this year was vital.

Of our backline, I thought only Salem could say he really dominated. None of the other players could say they were super happy with their individual game, but that's the beauty of our back 6 - they function as a collective such that they are greater than the sum of their parts.

Guys who would feel they need to do better next time:
Viney: just a ball of errors and panic
Harmes: bit like Viney, but slightly better.
McDonald: practically invisible.
Kozzie: Didn't play badly, just didn't get as involved as much as you'd hope.
May: just not fit to play.

But I forgive them, because we won.

The rest: all serviceable and did their bit.

Big thanks to Norm Smith for not coming down to haunt us again.

Bloody good effort overall. Surprised that the Doggies capitulated to that extent though. Guess the fairytale was just meant to be.

Finally: Big thumbs up to Goodwin. I doubted him as much as anybody. I was wrong.

Great team performance, of course.

But special mentions to:

Petracca: obviously an absolute beast. Wasn't taking no for an answer.
Oliver: Wasn't too far off BOG himself. Great game. Got us out of jail in close traffic so many times.
Salem: He was super important in the first half. Without his effort, we might have started the second half a lot further behind.
Jackson: He was our real ruckman today. He was all over it. He will be better than peak Nic Nat in a couple of years. So young, and he's already nearly there. Tough and super athletic.
Fritsch: Made the most of his opportunities, that's all you need from a guy like him.
Gawn: Not because he had a great game, but because he kept his head up all game. A real captains game.
Gus: He was a Swiss Army knife - worked hard and did everything.
Brown: The goals are nice of course, but the structure he added to our side this year was vital.

Of our backline, I thought only Salem could say he really dominated. None of the other players could say they were super happy with their individual game, but that's the beauty of our back 6 - they function as a collective such that they are greater than the sum of their parts.

Guys who would feel they need to do better next time:
Viney: just a ball of errors and panic
Harmes: bit like Viney, but slightly better.
McDonald: practically invisible.
Kozzie: Didn't play badly, just didn't get as involved as much as you'd hope.
May: just not fit to play.

But I forgive them, because we won.

The rest: all serviceable and did their bit.

Big thanks to Norm Smith for not coming down to haunt us again.

Bloody good effort overall. Surprised that the Doggies capitulated to that extent though. Guess the fairytale was just meant to be.

Finally: Big thumbs up to Goodwin. I doubted him as much as anybody. I was wrong.
Great wrap. Unreal GF when Trac and Jackson make Oliver and Gawn look pedestrian. I thought May and Lever were pretty poor, and the back 6 in general clearly had a shocker in the second quarter, but the small defenders kept us in the game given how many chaotic ground balls I50 they had to deal with. V impressed with Petty, can't think of too many mistakes he made. Certainly a lot of passengers though in a weird way.

Watching the post match on fox footy. I think I just fell in love with Angus Brayshaw. What an absolute gem of a person. You could tell how sincere he was with winning the flag not just for the team but for the fans. He spoke as well as Gawn does. Also, surely this thread should be a "Certified Legendary Thread"??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I kept faith until Bont snapped from 40 to put them up 19 and then I wavered. The camera panned to Goody and * if he didn’t look concerned as well (understandable of course).

Then that little s**t slung Max’s head off the turf and taunted him, and of course I have no way to prove it but it seemed like the turning point. Dogga took over the rucking duties to massive effect, Harmsey snatched a ball clean from midair with one hand and nailed a kick to Fritta to start the avalanche and I immediately felt really confident, not to mention guilty for having doubted them.

I kept faith until Bont snapped from 40 to put them up 19 and then I wavered. The camera panned to Goody and fu** if he didn’t look concerned as well (understandable of course).

Then that little sh*t slung Max’s head off the turf and taunted him, and of course I have no way to prove it but it seemed like the turning point. Dogga took over the rucking duties to massive effect, Harmsey snatched a ball clean from midair with one hand and nailed a kick to Fritta to start the avalanche and I immediately felt really confident, not to mention guilty for having doubted them.
Do yourself a favour and rewatch Viney at that contest before Harmes gets it, it's a joy.

In years to come we'll remember Daniel fondly for slamming the idea for Max to put Jackson in the ruck into his head.

OK, I forecasted a pissed 4am review and here I am. No bad or ugly from me tonight (or this morning, wherever/whenever we are in this euphoric madness). It's all biased, positive, beer-infused bliss.

The ******* unbelievable:

-Winning our first flag in forever and getting to share that feeling with my old man. Had real doubts that we'd ever get the opportunity.
-Petracca. He'll be the best Melbourne footballer I'll ever get to watch. Maybe not the most consistent, but the best.
-Oliver. Doesn't play bad games. The best is yet to come which should concern the rest of the competition.
-Gawn. This guy will go down in Melbourne folklore, an absolute star of our club. Wish he'd snagged a goal.
-Brayshaw. Reflective of the club's selfless attitude. Sacrificed his own game to win a premiership. That's what it's all about.
-Viney. If ever a bloke was made to play finals, it was this guy. And he did it to clinch us an elusive flag. I've been a critic but I'll never forget his efforts over the last month.
-ANB. Brought the pressure all year and tonight was no exception. Someone who has worked to get the absolute best out of himself.
-Brown. Might not have many strings to his bow but the strings that he does have are ******* great. Seems a down to earth bloke too. Love it.
-Lever. My favourite player. So fierce and determined. Couldn't get his intercept game going and still found a way to impact. 10 first round picks would've been worth it.
-May. Torn string and wasn't himself today, but we don't get to this point without his performances this year.
-Bowey. 7th game. Lucky bustard. Going to be some player.
-Petty. Worthy premiership player. Best yet to come.
-Sparrow. See above.
-Pickett. We just win a flag by 12 goals without this guy having an impact. If anyone's wondering where our improvement comes from, look no further...
-Salem. Silk. He'll get his AA at some point.
-Spargo. Another guy who bought into to the selfless, role-playing attitude. His celebration to one of Fritta's goals in the 3rd was a highlight.
-Jackson. Could be better than Gawn.
-Rivers. All class. Will be dashing off our half backline for a decade.
-Langdon. Underrated player and Underrated recruit. Don't win this one without him. Not worth Fyfe's time, apparently...
-Hibbo. Heart and soul type.
-Harmes. Fought for every touch like his life depended on it. Uncompromising.
-Fritta. Can just get it done in so many different ways. I remember when Max tipped him to win the Coleman a few years back, most people (probably rightly) scoffed. I doubt they'd be doing the same if he were to tip Fritta again.
-TMac. I'm so glad this guy is a premiership player. So easy to forget he persisted through some pretty bleak times. Yeah, he battled for most of the night. But he earned the right to do so.

Hope all you Melbournians be broke curfew/lockdown and managed to celebrate in a manner befitting the moment.
Went out the footy ground near my house which overlooks the city and sat in the centre (which is a cricket pitch atm) and stared out at the skyline for a while which had been lit up in red and blue in parts. Few fireworks. Couple of phone calls, and then got a bit chilly at 2am. Was decent.

OK, I forecasted a pissed 4am review and here I am. No bad or ugly from me tonight (or this morning, wherever/whenever we are in this euphoric madness). It's all biased, positive, beer-infused bliss.

The ******* unbelievable:

-Winning our first flag in forever and getting to share that feeling with my old man. Had real doubts that we'd ever get the opportunity.
-Petracca. He'll be the best Melbourne footballer I'll ever get to watch. Maybe not the most consistent, but the best.
-Oliver. Doesn't play bad games. The best is yet to come which should concern the rest of the competition.
-Gawn. This guy will go down in Melbourne folklore, an absolute star of our club. Wish he'd snagged a goal.
-Brayshaw. Reflective of the club's selfless attitude. Sacrificed his own game to win a premiership. That's what it's all about.
-Viney. If ever a bloke was made to play finals, it was this guy. And he did it to clinch us an elusive flag. I've been a critic but I'll never forget his efforts over the last month.
-ANB. Brought the pressure all year and tonight was no exception. Someone who has worked to get the absolute best out of himself.
-Brown. Might not have many strings to his bow but the strings that he does have are ******* great. Seems a down to earth bloke too. Love it.
-Lever. My favourite player. So fierce and determined. Couldn't get his intercept game going and still found a way to impact. 10 first round picks would've been worth it.
-May. Torn string and wasn't himself today, but we don't get to this point without his performances this year.
-Bowey. 7th game. Lucky bustard. Going to be some player.
-Petty. Worthy premiership player. Best yet to come.
-Sparrow. See above.
-Pickett. We just win a flag by 12 goals without this guy having an impact. If anyone's wondering where our improvement comes from, look no further...
-Salem. Silk. He'll get his AA at some point.
-Spargo. Another guy who bought into to the selfless, role-playing attitude. His celebration to one of Fritta's goals in the 3rd was a highlight.
-Jackson. Could be better than Gawn.
-Rivers. All class. Will be dashing off our half backline for a decade.
-Langdon. Underrated player and Underrated recruit. Don't win this one without him. Not worth Fyfe's time, apparently...
-Hibbo. Heart and soul type.
-Harmes. Fought for every touch like his life depended on it. Uncompromising.
-Fritta. Can just get it done in so many different ways. I remember when Max tipped him to win the Coleman a few years back, most people (probably rightly) scoffed. I doubt they'd be doing the same if he were to tip Fritta again.
-TMac. I'm so glad this guy is a premiership player. So easy to forget he persisted through some pretty bleak times. Yeah, he battled for most of the night. But he earned the right to do so.

Great stuff mate.

Hope Langdon tells Fyfe to eat s**t, on the off chance he calls to congratulate him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back