Review Demons 119 def Dogs 69

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Kane Cornes for real? Pumping up the Demons as a genuine premiership threat with - and I quote - "no weaknesses" - after beating a young, injury plagued fourteenth team with a history of capitulating in the second half against almost every team they play? Get yer hand off it, mate.
I class mental fragility as a major weakness.

No side is ever 6-7 years from contending - we are proof of that. 2012 we looked further from it than ever, 2014 we seemed barely advanced. It depends what you do with what you have.

Not standing up for us as this season is a debacle but throw Bont, Boyd, Suckers, Libba, Picken, Wood and a vaguely capable ruck and we are improved.

I give you Carlton and the Suns

They don’t. Dees fans are, quite simply, scum. I genuinely begrudge them getting to and from the game safely.

Hear, hear.

I wish the Demons nothing but failure and the circle jerking they do so well after doing their standard flat track bully thing, will make their Week 1 finals exit so sweet.

Negatives 6 games to go
Positives 120 minutes x 6 games = 720 minutes but only 360 minutes of second halves
A pessimist may notice we have 360 minutes of second halves remaining, but an optimistic dog would say we have 360 minutes of first halves remaining.

Who are you and what have you done with optimistic dog?

I give you Carlton and the Suns
Carlton and the Suns could turn it around in a few years. There is nothing in their recent history to suggest they will do so because both have serious cultural issues (suns are partyboys and their best players always leave and Carlton recruits terribly) but no club has to.

It’s not impossible for any club and frankly our club is better than many at turning it’s fortunes around in reasonable time. Since 1985 we’ve consistently rebuilt and jumped up for another prelim. This time we have Bont, Macrae, JJ, Williams, Boyd, Richards, Hunter, Naughton etc as a head start.

When neville jetta out muscled roughy and took the mark, that was my thanks for the memories moment.

I didnt rate Rough's work either. But then we 'only' conceded 7 third qtr goals against a better ruck than the rucks of the team we faced last week who piled on 9 3rd qtr goals. Rough also marked it.

Maybe Rough is actually our best ruck until English develops?

Was there yesterday, not as worried by lack of leg speed as others. Lynch, JJ, Richards all have toe and when we hit our connections, our ball movement by foot is quick enough anyway.

Schache continues to improve with each game he plays but I can't help but think Toby is starting to get really tired, shouldering a large part of the midfield work this year.

Our best is very good but the next step is to sustain it for four quarters, something every rebuilding team goes through.

The second half fade outs are disappointing but I'm still very bullish about our prospects in the coming years.

Frustrating that sides keep getting a stranglehold on us at the centre bounce, win decivise and definitive clearances and goal within 3 touches of the footy. That's been a feature since R1 2017, with teams now ruthlessly piling on the goals in quick spurts. Games are being lost in a hurry.

The scenario isn't devoid of hope. The talent is there, even when the talent isn't there! Most squads we have put out have been light on for maturity and size but on their day could have got a result. Assuming we get the scoreboard ticking over. The problem has been we aren't having many of "our days" and the scoreboard isn't ticking over enough.

Yesterday we got good performances from Wallis and Shache as forwards. Is anyone on the list capable of a 5+ goal game? Maybe Gowers, but his ankle is sore and he needs everything in his favour to have an impact. Dickson? Think he is cooked

The team has done well to have me not want to slit my wrists after losses. There is hope that what we are seeing will shift. Injuries will ease up, surely. Form for some players will turn. We'll get the right personnel on the park again.
Schache is certainly capable of a bag like that. Maybe not right now but he’s only getting a few opportunities and is mostly converting. May even gets his chance this year against Carlton or St Kilda.

Couldn't help but notice how much better Melbournes kicking was than ours.

Their kicks were lower and longer which helped them get out the back quicker. Those 7 third quarter goals all came from long accurate kicks.

Then I thought we were missing all our best kicks - Bont, Suckling, Crozier, Williams, Boyd, Libba so hopefully fixable next year.

Is Kane Cornes for real? Pumping up the Demons as a genuine premiership threat with - and I quote - "no weaknesses" - after beating a young, injury plagued fourteenth team with a history of capitulating in the second half against almost every team they play? Get yer hand off it, mate.

We've beaten more teams in the top 8 this year than them.

Hear, hear.

I wish the Demons nothing but failure and the circle jerking they do so well after doing their standard flat track bully thing, will make their Week 1 finals exit so sweet.

They won't make it, which will be even funnier. (They'll win one more game for the year.)

We've beaten more teams in the top 8 this year than them.

They won't make it, which will be even funnier. (They'll win one more game for the year.)

Viney's foot is a real worry. Lever is gone until the end of next year and their older players like Lewis, Vince and Jones seem to be slowing up big time.

For Melbourne it's all about Gawn. If the opposition can shark his taps and not bomb it to him like we did in the second half they will struggle.

They have a difficult draw. R 23 against the plastics may be the decider ( go Dee's!!).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schache is certainly capable of a bag like that. Maybe not right now but he’s only getting a few opportunities and is mostly converting. May even gets his chance this year against Carlton or St Kilda.
It’s a shame he fluffed a few gettable shots - he’s never kicked more than 2 in a game and would have been good for him.

Noticed Bevo was a bit less than impressed with his second half but I think he’s doing all that could be expected. Fairly confident he’ll be a solid player and he’s only 20 with over 30 games under his belt.

I didnt rate Rough's work either. But then we 'only' conceded 7 third qtr goals against a better ruck than the rucks of the team we faced last week who piled on 9 3rd qtr goals. Rough also marked it.

Maybe Rough is actually our best ruck until English develops?
It was 8 this week and 7 last week. Nicer to get a few back our way as well this week.

You can’t win games of AFL carrying non AFL players. I’ll address those first.

Biggs. Had your five minutes of fame. Time to go
Honeychurch. You wish you could get 5 minutes of fame. Time to go
Roughead. Admirable career from a loyal servant. But it’s time to go.

The borderlines.
Smith. I see the potential. Now give me consistency.
Trengove. Think you have taken the mantle of resident whipping boy. Prefer future back 6 including Naughton, Cordy & Adams. Young back up. So maybe bench warming swing man. Part ruck, forward & defence
Morris. Love you like a brother. But even legends need to pass on the baton. ( the only one on this list that has done nothing wrong form wise !!)
Daniel. Where oh where has that elite disposal gone. Without it, you are back in the pack
Dalhaus. Where oh where has that goalsneak/mid gone. Don’t like the front running centre bounce model. Bring back the dreads.
Lipinski. You teased me with your first few games. Get more involved lad.

With C.Smith (ret) Campbell. Webb. Jong Dickson. Collins. Redpath now redundant, and Picken questionable, the borderlines have a few games left put put their hands up. But please, no more of the top 3. They are cooked

A pessimist may notice we have 360 minutes of second halves remaining, but an optimistic dog would say we have 360 minutes of first halves remaining.

Who are you and what have you done with optimistic dog?

I really do not think we are that bad, no team can sustain 14 injuries/outs(this weeks count including Clay) from our original 40. However we have some tough decisions at the end year.

Who goes forgetting contract lenghts

Must Go
Honey
Webb
Collins
Campbell
Biggs
Roarke Smith (rookie)
Roberts
Redpath

Possible Retirments

Picken
Dickson
Morris

Keep or Trade

Roughy
Dahl
Wall
Libba

That is a hell of a lot changes be made or considered we need get it right.

You can’t win games of AFL carrying non AFL players. I’ll address those first.

Biggs. Had your five minutes of fame. Time to go
Honeychurch. You wish you could get 5 minutes of fame. Time to go
Roughead. Admirable career from a loyal servant. But it’s time to go.

The borderlines.
Smith. I see the potential. Now give me consistency.
Trengove. Think you have taken the mantle of resident whipping boy. Prefer future back 6 including Naughton, Cordy & Adams. Young back up. So maybe bench warming swing man. Part ruck, forward & defence
Morris. Love you like a brother. But even legends need to pass on the baton. ( the only one on this list that has done nothing wrong form wise !!)
Daniel. Where oh where has that elite disposal gone. Without it, you are back in the pack
Dalhaus. Where oh where has that goalsneak/mid gone. Don’t like the front running centre bounce model. Bring back the dreads.
Lipinski. You teased me with your first few games. Get more involved lad.

With C.Smith (ret) Campbell. Webb. Jong Dickson. Collins. Redpath now redundant, and Picken questionable, the borderlines have a few games left put put their hands up. But please, no more of the top 3. They are cooked

Well said, that's 10 more off the list at year's end. But watch out for the player-loyalists here who think we have to stick with the current list until they stink like dead fish.

I really do not think we are that bad, no team can sustain 14 injuries/outs(this weeks count including Clay) from our original 40. However we have some tough decisions at the end year.

Who goes forgetting contract lenghts

Must Go
Honey
Webb
Collins
Campbell
Biggs
Roarke Smith (rookie)
Roberts
Redpath

Possible Retirments

Picken
Dickson
Morris

Keep or Trade

Roughy
Dahl
Wall
Libba

That is a hell of a lot changes be made or considered we need get it right.

Another who thinks serious list overhauling is warranted. Be brave comrade and watch out for the player-loyalists.

Another who thinks serious list overhauling is warranted. Be brave comrade and watch out for the player-loyalists.

It isn't "player loyalists" it is just not possible and also leaves bugger all senior players .. if you are replacing rhem with delisted free agents or picks close to 100 then we eill be in a much worse position ..

I couldn't watch the match live, but recorded it and watched the first half live.

After Melbourne got three goals in front, I fast forwarded the rest. I knew what was going to happen...and it did.

reality is there wont be that big of a list turnover. There never really is.
This year I suspect there will be. 3-4 retirements and quite a few moved on given we have a new list manager and have changed our head of football arrangements.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back