List Mgmt. Do we need another mature age ruckman?

Do we recruit a ruckman for 2021?

• Yes

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • No

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • Unsure

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I'm starting to think we need an insurance mature age back up for 2021, even if available as a rookie selection.

1. We know that Soldo will effectively miss the 2021 season.

2. We go in to the 2021 season currently with only 1 genuine recognized ruckman in Nankervis. While Nankervis is a great warrior, we know he has struggled at times as the solo genuine ruck against the best in the competition. He's also shown some propensity to injury having missed large chunks of games in 2019/20 with injuries that can recur.

3. CCJ, perhaps the next in line, is completely unproved as a ruckman and a player at AFL level, he's also set to miss a handful of games at the start of the season.

4. Chol, Balta are the only remaining 2 you would consider could play in the ruck, but they are part timers there at best. Chol is undersized and lacks the mongrel, and while Balta looks like a freak, he too would be hard pressed to spend the year as the number 1 ruck. Moving him there for a season also leaves a giant hole at CHB that we'd need to fill, as he looks to be the anointed CHB for the next 10 years with how good he was.

Basically, if Nankervis goes down, we're in big trouble in the ruck. Arguably even with him, it's still an area of weakness relative to some other contenders.

Should we be looking at a 1 year cheap deal for a mature age, ready made ruckman? Either a player with AFL experience, or the best mid 20s state league ruck in the country?
Personally, I am staggered we didn't look at Stefan Martin as that player, as I reckon he fits that bill of cheap insurance.

Ruck least most important position on the ground according to Leppa. Even more so with decreased rotations. Agree we need a back up if we are going to run with a traditional ruck setup but wondering whether a more athletic tall midfielder could suffice. We still won the clearances in finals (and easily) without winning hitouts to advantage.

It's a weak spot. But we also have amazing depth in terms of numbers of guys that can do the job-ish. The problem is that the guys not on AFL lists tend to be below the level of CCJ. So recruiting them is typically going to be a waste of time. And then in 2022 we get Soldo back and have one of the deepest ruck groups in the AFL.

I reckon we run with the risk next year and hope it all works out. If we can't get a decent quality guy then it ain't worth it.

Daniel Gorringe for the lols

Jackson Trengove for me... provides cover in a few areas including ruck

Ruck least most important position on the ground according to Leppa. Even more so with decreased rotations. Agree we need a back up if we are going to run with a traditional ruck setup but wondering whether a more athletic tall midfielder could suffice. We still won the clearances in finals (and easily) without winning hitouts to advantage.

I couldn't have more respect for Leppa, but I disagree.

Sure, hit-outs, and even hit-outs to advantage, are useless. But the grunt and poke that comes with your biggest player being aggressive just can't be under-estimated. I reckon that gets more important with decreased rotations. The oppo can't hide on the bench in 2021 after they've been Nanked.

Having said that, we've got a bloody good track record of getting Nank's body right for finals. I'm very comfortable to play with CJ or Chol taking the job in the home & away. The real risk is if something happens to Nank in the back half of 2021.

I couldn't have more respect for Leppa, but I disagree.

Sure, hit-outs, and even hit-outs to advantage, are useless. But the grunt and poke that comes with your biggest player being aggressive just can't be under-estimated. I reckon that gets more important with decreased rotations. The oppo can't hide on the bench in 2021 after they've been Nanked.

Having said that, we've got a bloody good track record of getting Nank's body right for finals. I'm very comfortable to play with CJ or Chol taking the job in the home & away. The real risk is if something happens to Nank in the back half of 2021.
Agree.I think we can make do throughout the year with CCJ/Chol/Miller helping Nank out.

No thanks. If CCJ is not ready to play by now he never will be. He'll be crashing the door down you would think this season and if we want to keep him or have a good look at him he will need to play quite a bit of seniors. Chol is a better ruckman than forward and will only get better when played as such. Miller, nothing to lose by playing him if needed, a bit like Balta they would be different, more ruck rover types which might be interesting. We lost nothing in the GF when Balta went into the middle. Might rookie one perhaps or get one for the VFL that could be promoted half year as a last resort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No thanks. If CCJ is not ready to play by now he never will be. He'll be crashing the door down you would think this season and if we want to keep him or have a good look at him he will need to play quite a bit of seniors. Chol is a better ruckman than forward and will only get better when played as such. Miller, nothing to lose by playing him if needed, a bit like Balta they would be different, more ruck rover types which might be interesting. We lost nothing in the GF when Balta went into the middle. Might rookie one perhaps or get one for the VFL that could be promoted half year as a last resort.
Leave one spot open for the Mid season just in case.

Would rather give Chol the chance than sign a guy simply to fill the role for a year. Personally think Chol is underrated for his ruck work although he struggles with around the ground stoppages where his leap is taken away from him.

This is the second time since the gf that a thread about a relief ruck has started. That's a fine debate to have but anyone who seriously thinks Marbs Chol is our back up ruck completely missed what happened in our last five games of this year. I have high regard for him as a developing second or more likely third tall forward or even a loping winger who can mark the get our of jail, down the line kicks or even provide a target for the kickouts. He's a lovely set shot at goal and knows how to get on his bike and find space.

But as a ruckman he doesn't have the requisite skills. His timing of his leap is very poor, he just doesn't enjoy the physical nature of ruckwork (I mean compare his physicality to Nank ffs) and he doesn't have the gut running capability that a half decent ruckman needs to have to even keep up with the top ruckmen. So please, forget about Chol as the chop out, let alone leading the ruck. He hates it clearly and doesn't even provide much of a contest. If anything he gets IN the way.

This could all change and he might become the next game changing follower but if I was a gambling man I'd only be betting someone else's money on that outcome. (Is the draft on yet btw ?)

Our whole season changed when Astbury and Balta were able to 2nd ruck. That was only possible because Broad tied down a spot in defence late in the year and nailed it. With Grimes and Broad providing cover in defence Astbury and Balta can cover rucking duties for four games (until a highly motivated 22yo bonafide ruck/fwd would be available from R5 onwards).

With due respect to Cholly as a footballer, we won finals this year once he went back out of the team and we looked far more assured and balanced that way.

Last edited:
Would rather give Chol the chance than sign a guy simply to fill the role for a year. Personally think Chol is underrated for his ruck work although he struggles with around the ground stoppages where his leap is taken away from him.
Agree with this. Most frustrating player on the list. If he believed in himself more I reckon he can play. Some of the things he does are beyond normal ruckman. It's all about intensity with Chol, all game not just in parts.

This is the second time since the gf that a thread about a relief ruck has started. That's a fine debate to have but anyone who seriously thinks Marbs Chol is our back up ruck completely missed what happened in our last five games of this year. I have high regard for him as a developing second or more likely third tall forward or even a loping winger who can mark the get our of jail, down the line kicks or even provide a target for the lockouts. He's a lovy set sh*t at goal and knows how to get on his hike and find space.

But as a ruckman he doesn't have the requisite skills. His timing of his leap is very poor, he just doesn't enjoy the physical nature of ruckwork (I mean compare his physicality to Nank ffs) and he doesn't have the gut running capability that a half decent ruckman needs to have to even keep up with the top ruckmen. So please, forget about Chol as the chop out, let alone leading the ruck. He hates it clearly and doesn't even provide much of a contest. If anything he gets IN the way.

This could all change and he might become the next game changing follower but if I was a gambling man I'd only be betting someone else's money on that outcome. (Is the draft on yet btw ?)

Our whole season changed when Astbury and Balta were able to 2nd ruck. That was only possible because Broad tied down a spot in defence late in the year and nailed it. With Grimes and Broad providing cover in defence Astbury and Balta can cover rucking duties for four games (until a highly motivated 22yo bonafide ruck/fwd would be available from R5 onwards).

With due respect to Cholly as a footballer, we won finals this year once he went back out of the team and we looked far more assured and balanced that way.
He rucked well at times, but drifted out as the season went. I still reckon it is self belief. He is a beginner in the ruck game, even in the VFL there were others before him. If Paddy Ryder could do it, why not Chol. It's all between the ears. He may not enjoy it as you say, well then he should give it away because he was woeful as a forward late in the season. It takes more mongrol to play as a tall forward, Lynch, Charlie Dixon etc.

Well I seriously hope we didn't use our second rounder on a ruckman just because we thought we were short in that area. CCJ is only out 5 rounds.

Back