Opinion Dustin Martin is better than Dangerfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Although they are all currently behind Judd, it is possible they could overtake him but it will take a few more great seasons yet. I would take Judd at his peak over all 3. Definitely agree Jnr has them all well covered.

Agreed, Fyfe is the closest to overtaking him IMO and the most likely (youngest, 2x brownlow winner, 2x MVP etc). Needs another 2 or 3 good seasons though.

Jake Long is still going. Take him over Judd as well?

see, this is why you can’t talk footy with an Essendon supporter. Prove me wrong please.

Pretty much. Judd's peak years were brief - he was never the same player at Carlton. Martin, Dangerfield, and Fyfe have been as good or better for just as long or longer.
He was good enough to win a Brownlow at Carlton and could have easily won 2. I thought he was brilliant at Carlton without being quite as explosive as his WC days.

This thread should be shut down now.
its not even a comparison anymore, two years younger with two Norm smiths to zero and two premierships to zero

Who even cares what BigFooty’s opinion is.

dusty wins comfortably.
Plus Dusty's tatts are better than Dangers little love heart tatt on his bottom.

Yeh that's right.. Danger ...27 Possessions...16 Contested..1 Goal ..5 tackles..7 Clearances...DM 22 Possessions..6 contested..2 goals..1 tackle..2 clearances..both had 5 Clangers. Danger clearly had a better game than Martin. Once again previous comments confirmed. You sound like a tryhard.
where'd he go in the 2nd half?

when the game was there to be won?

Ye Judd was only magical at the Eagles he got worn down pretty quickly at Carlton despite him winning a Brownlow, I felt he never reached those heights at the Blues. I wouldn't rate him anywhere near Gary Ablett Jr for example.
He did for ten minutes of the third quarter in the 2013 final against us.
I was sitting there in the Ponsford stand next to the carlton cheer squad I’ll never forget it. It was a stinger to lose but you had to applaud the guy. Him and Duigan...bloody Duigan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He did for ten minutes of the third quarter in the 2013 final against us.
I was sitting there in the Ponsford stand next to the carlton cheer squad I’ll never forget it. It was a stinger to lose but you had to applaud the guy. Him and Duigan...bloody Duigan.
You can cop a guy like Judd tearing you apart
But Nick ******* Duigan

As an avid Richmond supporter since 1967 I would have only Hart and Bartlett ahead of him but Dustin is in the group including M Richardson, F Bourke, I Stewart and M Rioli as the best players I have seen at Richmond. Love them all.
Many other great players and Martin has just elevated himself above most of them.
Im 54 years old and of the opinion that in 5-6 years time when Dusty is close to the end he would have passed all of the above
He very well could be in the discussion of the best 10 players ever to have played the game by the time he is finished

Im 54 years old and of the opinion that in 5-6 years time when Dusty is close to the end he would have passed all of the above
He very well could be in the discussion of the best 10 players ever to have played the game by the time he is finished
I'm 71 y.o., and I can already say that in 65 years of watching VFL/AFL footy, I've never seen a player quite like Martin. His combination of awesome brute strength and inimitable skills under pressure have never been surpassed, in my not so humble opinion. This is not to say he's the best player I've seen (plenty of time left for that), just that he's unique.

Having not seen a game in the flesh for three years (for medical reasons), to watch his performance in the last H&A game against Brissie was just the tonic I needed. He can make the lame walk,😊 What a player!

As an avid Richmond supporter since 1967 I would have only Hart and Bartlett ahead of him but Dustin is in the group including M Richardson, F Bourke, I Stewart and M Rioli as the best players I have seen at Richmond. Love them all.
Many other great players and Martin has just elevated himself above most of them.
Personal opinion, as are all of these, but I'd put him on the same level as Bartlett, just below Hart. Bartlett was a shifty little bugger, who used to sneak up on the opposition, without them quite realising it. Before you'd know it he'd have thirty possies and kicked five goals. The opposition supporters would be reduced to saying, "Who's on that little bastard?" In contrast, Martin takes the game on, and announces himself boldly, "Here I am boys. Stop me if you can."

There has only ever been one Royce Hart. Another unique one. It's not as if there are any other contenders for the best CHF ever.

Edit: It surprises me how often Ian Stewart's claims are ignored in such discussions. Brave to the point of recklessness.

Last edited:
I'm 71 y.o., and I can already say that in 65 years of watching VFL/AFL footy, I've never seen a player quite like Martin. His combination of awesome brute strength and inimitable skills under pressure have never been surpassed, in my not so humble opinion. This is not to say he's the best player I've seen (plenty of time left for that), just that he's unique.

Having not seen a game in the flesh for three years (for medical reasons), to watch his performance in the last H&A game against Brissie was just the tonic I needed. He can make the lame walk,😊 What a player!

I dont think you can say this player is the best you have seen as their are many types of players in many different positions like how can you compare
Franklin/Dusty
Rance/Judd
Lockett/Skilton

But the best way to actually rate them is the position they play and the overall impact they have to their teams success and how they impact games and times where their teams need them to and thats why i have Dusty ahead of Danger due to both being midfielders but that doesnt for 1 minute take away from dangerfield being a champion

Yeh that's right.. Danger ...27 Possessions...16 Contested..1 Goal ..5 tackles..7 Clearances...DM 22 Possessions..6 contested..2 goals..1 tackle..2 clearances..both had 5 Clangers. Danger clearly had a better game than Martin. Once again previous comments confirmed. You sound like a tryhard.
I was disappointed with Dangerfield when the game was there to be won in the first 15 mins of qtr 3. Dangerfield had the better game statistically, but when the game was on the line, Dusty stood up. That goal roving the Jack tap and the goal he set up ripping the ball out of his opponents hands was phenomenal. Danger had one touch in the third quarter up to that point.

I was disappointed with Dangerfield when the game was there to be won in the first 15 mins of qtr 3. Dangerfield had the better game statistically, but when the game was on the line, Dusty stood up. That goal roving the Jack tap and the goal he set up ripping the ball out of his opponents hands was phenomenal. Danger had one touch in the third quarter up to that point.
Dangerfield and Martin are the number 1 & 2 players in the competition for score involvements. They both average a bit over 7 per game.
In the prelim, Martin had 9, Dangerfield had 3.
Richmond had just 4 more scores than Geelong that night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back