Autopsy Eagles Post Match: We’re on to the Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

If there is one bloke I do't want us to be beaten by, it's that little prick. And to the poster who said we should get him to the club. Go scrub your tongue with a razor blade. He's a villain who will always belong to the side of darkness and not our mob who are fighting for justice and freedom.

At the Eagles, Nathan Van Berlo is the midfield and stoppage coach, while Adrian Hickmott is the contested ball co-ordinator (former midfield coach). Perhaps we should poach one of those guys. Make another pitch for Monkhorst as a ruck coach. It could solve our clearance issues.

P.S. interesting to see how other teams split up the coaching responsibilities.

He's a villain who will always belong to the side of darkness and not our mob who are fighting for justice and freedom.
So true, and poetic... and true.

If there is one bloke I do't want us to be beaten by, it's that little prick. And to the poster who said we should get him to the club. Go scrub your tongue with a razor blade. He's a villain who will always belong to the side of darkness and not our mob who are fighting for justice and freedom.
I feel the same about the Sociopath Scarlett

Yeah, it’s hard to know whether to back him in or just compile a list of players he can successfully tag and only bring him in for those. Certainly you’d play him against Richmond for Martin.

I’m beginning to think bringing in an Appleby and playing him on Liam Ryan might be a better option next time. You’d want Sier or Wells available for midfield duties though.
I'd play him as a tagger, but the he and the centre square group needs to be alert to the opposition playing funny buggers and he needs to hunt the ball if he's just being dragged into a disadvantageous position. He's actually really good when hunting the ball.

I will say one thing, you can definitely see why they were in a rush to get Adams back in.

Something needs to be done about our midfield and FAST.

I’d be doing everything to get Sier in and get some game time into Wills. I’d have way more faith in the centre clearance winning ability of Sier, Wills and Adams than I do Pendlebury, Treloar and Beams.
and if only we had 2 degoey's

I think once they get the mix right with the current midfield brigade, we'll find there's no major rush to get Sier on. And this is coming from a big Sier fan.

Adams will be better for the run and will be as inside as you want him to be.
Hmm. How much more can he do? He was our best player imo. Which is startling for several reasons.

We need a lot more from Beams, Side, Pendle, Phillips.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How dumb are the media, couldn't have asked one question about selection change. Nothing on Varcoe or Brown. Bucks confirmed in his presser that Darcy and Howe are fit and will play. Howe had the flu and didn't train today but will train tomorrow.

We had all our midfielders defensive side. No one was offensive side.

Perhaps, but my recollection is that the midfielders got drawn to the ball from their starting positions, which was a problem when we didn't win it. We often didn't hold a midfielder in the event we lost the clearance. You need to approach the clearance for both eventualities, winning and losing. Again a generalisation but it seemed to happen a bit on the night.

Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the match. In case you missed one of these posts from the 2nd half of last season, this is an overall summary of how often players started as one of the 5 mids at centre bounces. Seeing its the Grand Final replay I'll break things down into quarters.

Overall Summary - 30 Bounces

Mayne 26 wing
Pendlebury 22 (1w)
Beams 22
Adams 20
Sidebottom 20 (19w, 1i)
Treloar 20
Phillips 14 wing
Greenwood 6

Rucks:

Grundy 29
Cox 1

Q1 - 5

Beams 5
Phillips 5 wing
Mayne 4 wing
Pendlebury 4 (3i, 1w)
Adams 3
Greenwood 3
Sidebottom 1

Q2 - 10

Mayne 9 wing
Adams 8
Pendlebury 8
Treloar 6
Phillips 6 wing
Beams 5
Sidebottom 5 wing
Greenwood 3

Q3 - 5

Mayne 5 wing
Pendlebury 5
Sidebottom 5 wing
Treloar 5
Beams 3
Adams 2

Q4 - 10

Beams 9
Sidebottom 9 wing
Treloar 9
Mayne 8 wing
Adams 7
Pendlebury 5
Phillips 3 wing

Perhaps, but my recollection is that the midfielders got drawn to the ball from their starting positions, which was a problem when we didn't win it. We often didn't hold a midfielder in the event we lost the clearance. You need to approach the clearance for both eventualities, winning and losing. Again a generalisation but it seemed to happen a bit on the night.

For two and a half quarters, they kept feeding it back to Gaff all alone on their defensvie side of the contest. Basically, WCE controlled player movements, Pendlebury's man blocked him and kept him on our defensive side. Schuey moved to a position to block our guy starting on the defensive side, Greenwood was tagging and followed Shuey into our defensive side. All 3 of our guys with two of theirs were on the defensive side with Gaff all alone on the attacking side. We allowed it to continue to happen for way too long.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back