Essendon Trading 2017 - Player Nominations and Impact

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is where the footy hype machine goes a bit nuts.

Being active in the trade period does not always mean being a winner in the trade period.

Essendon picked up one ripper (Smith) one flashy (Saad) and a role of the dice (stringer)

Port, also widely lauded for how good they will be, picked up one ripper (Rockliff), one flashy (motlop) and one role player (watts). The flashy and the role player played well in the first game but need to be checked across the season. They also picked up a grab bag of guys like trengove, Thomas etc. was weird. Active doesn’t equal good and they should have just stopped with the 3 dudes they picked up. They also lost trengrove to the doggies, so the net difference is adjusted slightly.

I'd put Saad in the role player basket. His game style may be flashy but he doesn't exactly have consistency or application issues.

I think what is underrated about Essendon's recruits is just how young they are. Smith (24) and Saad (23) may not have directly addressed needs but picking up two known quantities that should comfortably play 5 plus years at the club is a no brainer.

Smith and Saad were necessary pick-ups and are currently paying the Bombers back with good performances.

Stringer was a luxury with a lot of risk that really wasn’t necessary. If they were stalling and needed to go to another level then I would see why they pursued him but they’re a young side on a steady incline so I think they’ll regret this one. Picks 25+30 plus Stringer’s salary could have landed a young gun like Matt Kennedy or be used on a ball winner like Constable in the draft

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dodo would be a genius if the players he recruited didn’t actually have to win games of footy.
Good to see you're not still bitter he made your club look stupid in trade week.

And no :) yesterdays disaster doesn't change that.

Smith and Saad were necessary pick-ups and are currently paying the Bombers back with good performances.

Stringer was a luxury with a lot of risk that really wasn’t necessary. If they were stalling and needed to go to another level then I would see why they pursued him but they’re a young side on a steady incline so I think they’ll regret this one. Picks 25+30 plus Stringer’s salary could have landed a young gun like Matt Kennedy or be used on a ball winner like Constable in the draft

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Kennedy went to Carlton before we got Stringer. We were keen, by all reports, but he chose Carlton. Can't change that.

Worst case scenario is we use Stringer to send Hooker to FB.
Go with a forward line of Daniher, Stewart and Stringer, with Hurley and Hooker down back.

The three recruits are still early into their careers with us.
The let down so far has been a lot of the rest of the list.

Kennedy went to Carlton before we got Stringer. We were keen, by all reports, but he chose Carlton. Can't change that.

Go with a forward line of Daniher, Stewart and Stringer, with Hurley and Hooker down back.

Query
Do you see Smith playing inside? I can' recall us ever using him there at the clearances. It always seemed to me he had the will for the hard contest to play there. Unlike say a Scully or Whitfield who are outside players by nature.
We have a history of players leaving and moving into different roles.

Query
Do you see Smith playing inside? I can' recall us ever using him there at the clearances. It always seemed to me he had the will for the hard contest to play there. Unlike say a Scully or Whitfield who are outside players by nature.
We have a history of players leaving and moving into different roles.
He's been playing an inside/outside role for us so far. He's definitely not a bad player at the stoppages

He's been playing an inside/outside role for us so far. He's definitely not a bad player at the stoppages
Tks
I've only watched the Bulldogs game closely and didn't see him setting up there. Sorry he left but if it let's him play the game he wants to, that's a good thing.

14 years building a list without a finals win has to be a record. A record that will never be broken.

Ignoring the massive inside mid hole and drafting 3 flankers is mind bottling stuff.

Should have picked 1 and saved the cash on Wines or Sloane at the end of this year.

14 years building a list without a finals win has to be a record. A record that will never be broken.

Ignoring the massive inside mid hole and drafting 3 flankers is mind bottling stuff.

Should have picked 1 and saved the cash on Wines or Sloane at the end of this year.

Richmond. 15 years, 2002-2016.

Richmond. 15 years, 2002-2016.
Didn't have the same recruiter during this period. They made changes and got the ultimate success.

How Dodoro is still in charge of recruiting is amazing - truly amazing. 14 years of failing and the icing came with drafting 3 high priced flankers when you need inside mid's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t know if Essendon showed any interest in Miles. But he’d be handy there right now. Could have got him cheap to I’d have thought.
Might have helped us get over the line against Williamstown yesterday I guess.

Dodged a bullet with Kennedy

I like that you had to wait all week until after your team had played to reply haha #confidence
I like how you shot your mouth off and got proven wrong the very next week.

I like that you had to wait all week until after your team had played to reply haha #confidence
I like how you waited all pre-season until after your team had played 3 games to take a shot. #confidence

lol no I didn’t.
You said they didn't win games. Stringer was BOG a week later in a win. Are you really that bitter that you can't acknowledge that Stringer was one of the main factors in winning the game?

I like how you waited all pre-season until after your team had played 3 games to take a shot. #confidence

lol that’s a lie. You can look at my posts.

You said they didn't win games. Stringer was BOG a week later in a win. Are you really that bitter that you can't acknowledge that Stringer was one of the main factors in winning the game?

Best on? Haha mustn’t take much to get best on for your mob. One of his goals was a ripper though.

You can all go back and read what I’ve said about Stringer since trade week if you want: the midfielder talk was laughable and because he doesn’t apply pressure you’d have to turf Hooker to the backline. I also said you’d pack it in on making him a mid by round 5.

Tell me I was wrong lol

Lie? So you didn't come in to bump an old thread after the entire pre-season and after your club had played 3 games to take a shot?

You don't seem to understand the concept of the word lie my friend.

Best on? Haha mustn’t take much to get best on for your mob. One of his goals was a ripper though.

You can all go back and read what I’ve said about Stringer since trade week if you want: the midfielder talk was laughable and because he doesn’t apply pressure you’d have to turf Hooker to the backline. I also said you’d pack it in on making him a mid by round 5.

Tell me I was wrong lol
Stop re-writing what you said. You said:
Dodo would be a genius if the players he recruited didn’t actually have to win games of footy.
And guess what? They did.

Please tell me how you were right again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back