Toast Fremantle's 4th 2016 National Draft Pick: Luke Ryan (2020 All Australian)

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon he would be leading the Doig medal. It would be for a Back man to win it.

He’s been brilliant fighting out of weight/height range each game.

Reminds me of one of those tough, loyal and lovable mongrel dogs.

Re the Doig, are we still doing the same voting system this year, or has JL changed it?

Give him the AA nomination God damnit.
He deserves an AA jacket but sadly the vast majority of footy people in Melbourne have never even heard of him. Unless he’s BOG every game for the rest of the season he hasn’t a hope.

Ryan's been hyped up by just about everyone this year. If he doesn't get it then the selectors have been living under a rock with their heads in the sand and their fingers in their ears.

He ll get snubbed. Sheppard is probably getting the sympathy jacket due to not getting in last season with McGovern ahead. Victorian media is the problem here
Nah, he'll get in, he's received a lot of (well deserved) praise in the media this year.

Do you know who we should actually thank for that? Pav. He started it back in like round 7 and I specifically remember hearing the commentators pause when he said it, almost in shock. Since then he's gotten praise every week

Should make the AA team, he has it going for him that he can play as the KPD or the intercepter, which means he can get in over Haynes and Shep by having that extra string to his bow, or can go in as a third tall KPD.

Kind of like how Fyfe may make it on a Fwd Flank due to playing a tonne forward this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should make the AA team, he has it going for him that he can play as the KPD or the intercepter, which means he can get in over Haynes and Shep by having that extra string to his bow, or can go in as a third tall KPD.

Kind of like how Fyfe may make it on a Fwd Flank due to playing a tonne forward this season.
Should and AA selectors aren’t the same. You just know something will happen. Just a Freo fan feeling

Incredibly well deserved, should make the team, but even if he doesn’t his journey from a mature ager taken late back in 2016 to now has been incredible. After the 6 or so games it took for him to get going he’s been a gun, underrated elsewhere in 2018 and 2019, but has taken his game to a new level this year. Hasn’t come close to losing his spot since he started, already played more games for us than Blakely, about the same as Langdon.
Do you know who we should actually thank for that? Pav. He started it back in like round 7 and I specifically remember hearing the commentators pause when he said it, almost in shock. Since then he's gotten praise every week
well the list of things we should be thankful to Pav for really just grows bigger and bigger.

but that Carlton supporter (who watched us like 5 times for the year) on the main board told me he was playing as a loose man

Last edited:
Will be hard. He somehow didn't kick a tonne of goals playing forward. Which somehow was disappointing. With his marking I still think he should be the most dangerous of the current star mids playing forward.

Will be hard. He somehow didn't kick a tonne of goals playing forward. Which somehow was disappointing. With his marking I still think he should be the most dangerous of the current star mids playing forward.
It's hardly surprising*. He's slow and not above average at ground balls. His marking is based on getting a run and jump at the ball, something good defenders shouldn't let you do if you're playing as a forward as they should be ready for it (same reason fatty McGovern is a crap forward).

I love Fyfe forward as a midfielder exploiting a mismatch. As semi or permanent forward he is wasted. Maybe once he's 33 or something and can lose some weight in a preseason so he can run and turn, but not before.

*This not hindsight hero stuff btw. I was saying it years ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back