Review Geelong defeat Sydney by 6 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mantra that we are 'always contending' has clouded the club's judgement.
I think also, as many of these coaches have been around for a while, it suits their narrative otherwise more pressure would come on their positions, especially Scott whom I doubt would want to oversee a genuine rebuild.
Alas there is an element of truth in what you say. Don't think that cook would want to undertake a re-build either. With his other than GFC duties, he would not have time nor the energy after being at the club for all of those years.

Alas there is an element of truth in what you say. Don't think that cook would want to undertake a re-build either. With his other than GFC duties, he would not have time nor the energy after being at the club for all of those years.

All hinges on what you term a 'rebuild', I guess. Lists are being rebuilt across the competition year after year.

Still, I'd be interested in the compelling examples from other clubs that we'd be following in choosing to 'rebuild' while still making it late into finals series almost every year. Where is the evidence of other clubs ever doing this? More than that, where are the examples of clubs that went this 'rebuild' path and then had it reap tangible dividends in a startling move back up the ladder in rapid order?

read the following From a geelong newsletter. Quite interesting.

"The backline played bruise free football. You could count the tackles on one hand from O’Connor, Henderson, Tuohy,Taylor, Stewart and Henry. Why the defenders try to corral their opponent is beyond me. When Geelong was taken apart by Richmond defence last week I no�ce two defenders each grabbing an arm. Likewise, the Western Bulldogs defender Daniels tackles at all costs. Parfitt has become an excellent player through his tackling but the Cats defence is miles behind this required standard. O’Connor tried to play Papley by standing 5 metres behind him, and had only 1 tackle for the game. His confidence looked shot a�er the game. The Cats specifically recruited forwards to keep the ball in the forward line, yet do not apply the same principal to the defenders."

All hinges on what you term a 'rebuild', I guess. Lists are being rebuilt across the competition year after year.

Still, I'd be interested in the compelling examples from other clubs that we'd be following in choosing to 'rebuild' while still making it late into finals series almost every year. Where is the evidence of other clubs ever doing this? More than that, where are the examples of clubs that went this 'rebuild' path and then had it reap tangible dividends in a startling move back up the ladder in rapid order?
We don’t even need a full rebuild. The core is there. Just piss off players who choke in finals and bring in younger replacements.

I’m starting to wonder if we keep failing in finals due to so many old players failing to step up the pace, and pressure, of finals games. Need young blood, enthusiasm, speed, reflexes etc.

Can’t keep doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result.

We don’t even need a full rebuild. The core is there. Just piss off players who choke in finals and bring in younger replacements.

I’m starting to wonder if we keep failing in finals due to so many old players failing to step up the pace, and pressure, of finals games. Need young blood, enthusiasm, speed, reflexes etc.

Can’t keep doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result.

I kinda felt that "youthful enthusiasm" mix was pretty good in the middle of the year with the wins over Port and such - there's something to it I think.

How can you go early but mark the pill? Going early is when you mistime your jump and miss the ball

Yeah good point. A replay would clear it up but I think I heard the umpire say to Tom 'You went early' when he paid the free against. Total bullshit. As you say, how do you go early if you still take the mark?

I actually watched the first half again last night, just so I could pick all of these up - so you're in luck haha

Mostly in order:

- 50m paid against a Geelong player, after half a dozen Swans and Geelong players run through the same area (Allir gifted a goal)

- Mark not paid to Tuohy, after he takes a clean grab and his arm is then chopped (Blakey goes up the other end and scores a goal due to everyone stopping after Geelong players think he'll be having a set shot)

- Mark paid to Luke Parker, after it bounces off Henry's head and Parker's foot

- Sam Menegola retrieves ball in traffic in the middle of the ground, kicks around his body towards Dahl, and then ball bounces at a right angle and goes out of bounds. Deliberate paid against Menegola

- Ratugolea takes clean mark in forward 50 with Parker getting a fingernail on it (these are always paid, as evidenced by Parker's ridiculous mark being called earlier) - Ball up called

- Parfitt runs into ball in forward 50, taps ball with his toe, goes over the line - deliberate out of bounds paid

- Henry kicks out of bounds on the full and Swans player paid the free. Called to play on as Steven runs off interchange and tackles Swans player from behind. Ball is dislodged and Steven goes to take his free kick - umpire states 'he didn't hear me', even though he was 10m away...

- Rohan takes clean mark inside forward 50, knocked out of hands like Tuohy's was earlier - no mark paid again and Swans clear ball

- Danger receives a free kick in front of goal, and in the same instant Parf kicks off the ground and is said to have taken the advantage - even though it was a split second decision and these are always called back. Goal is counted, as Parf just got to his toe to it, but if he hadn't, then as others have pointed out, it wouldn't have been advantage as no Geelong player actually would have touched the ball after free was given

- Hawkins takes a mark in the 4th quarter, and puts his knee out to protect the space in front of him - knees Dawson in the head who runs into said knee and wasn't even in the marking contest. Free kick for high contact paid to Dawson against Hawk for 'going too early' (whatever that means)

A couple of those in a match are expected, but this sh*t was systematic. Especially when it wasn't equally umpires the other way. The only howlers they got, was their deliberate paid in their forward 50 (another ridiculous decision), and the players falling on Hawk's back in front of goal - it was there, but it was soft and probably shouldn't have been paid.

Also wanted to point out that what I found really odd, was there was only 1 inexperienced ump on the field. Brett Roseburg and Chris Donlon were the other two field umpires, and Roseburg called the Menegola deliberate, the Hawkins mark infringement, and the 50 for Allir that resulted in a goal.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but it really did look like they were doing everything in their power to keep West Coast top 4, and therefore stop them having a home final - a good result for the AFL. It probably isn't the case, but I've never seen this many insane decisions in one game.

We weren't great, but I also think that there's probably a 2-3 goal difference based on those decisions. If we had of lost, I probably wouldn't have been able to let this go because of just how partisan it all was.

Thankfully it worked out, but hopefully that helps a lot of supporters realize that there really was a lot going against us yesterday - not just our own poor form

First Cats game in about 20 years that I haven't watched in full. I didn't get nearly as far as yourself. We should have had a holding the ball free kick before the clearance and mark by Allir. After the 50m penalty, then the mark not paid to Tuohy I switched the TV off in disgust. I have later seen the mark that wasn't paid to Hawkins.

I have gone from thinking the AFL might be corrupt to how can I make money from it being corrupt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First Cats game in about 20 years that I haven't watched in full. I didn't get nearly as far as yourself. We should have had a holding the ball free kick before the clearance and mark by Allir. After the 50m penalty, then the mark not paid to Tuohy I switched the TV off in disgust. I have later seen the mark that wasn't paid to Hawkins.

I have gone from thinking the AFL might be corrupt to how can I make money from it being corrupt.

Genuinely hilarious, this. A brilliantly succinct expression of the AFL world as it stands today. One of those bittersweet moments where you can't help laughing at something that really shouldn't be at all funny.

Well played, indeed.

Gamble on whatever will profit the AFL most.

Then it'll be a certain winner.

Obviously Hawkins went early, he used his foot to push the guy in the back. The umpires mad a lot of howlers but not that one.
It wasn't a good decision at all.
Hawkins did exactly what hundreds of forwards have done for over a century.
Eyes on the ball, jumped into the player with his knee and more importantly, MARKED THE BALL.
Because the action looked awkward the umpire shat his pants and cocked up big time.

It wasn't a good decision at all.
Hawkins did exactly what hundreds of forwards have done for over a century.
Eyes on the ball, jumped into the player with his knee and more importantly, MARKED THE BALL.
Because the action looked awkward the umpire shat his pants and cocked up big time.

Any clarification on that s**t call from HQ?

Re the Hawkins decision - obviously the wrong call

But one thing i will give that umpire a bit of credit for ( and i can understand a tiny degree why he paid it - re the lifting leg - T Greene ) is Hawkins swore - now if the umpire had of been Marghets or Chamberlain they would have got right into the theatre of it and given Hawkins 50 as well

To the umpires credit he didnt do that .

read the following From a geelong newsletter. Quite interesting.

"The backline played bruise free football. You could count the tackles on one hand from O’Connor, Henderson, Tuohy,Taylor, Stewart and Henry. Why the defenders try to corral their opponent is beyond me. When Geelong was taken apart by Richmond defence last week I no�ce two defenders each grabbing an arm. Likewise, the Western Bulldogs defender Daniels tackles at all costs. Parfitt has become an excellent player through his tackling but the Cats defence is miles behind this required standard. O’Connor tried to play Papley by standing 5 metres behind him, and had only 1 tackle for the game. His confidence looked shot a�er the game. The Cats specifically recruited forwards to keep the ball in the forward line, yet do not apply the same principal to the defenders."

Agreed about O'Connor. He didn't play well but the coaches did him no favours leaving him on Papley. We're meant to be playing blokes into form this time of year not ruining their confidence on the eve of finals. A shame as O'Connor has become a favourite of mine this year so I hope he can turn it around

Re the Hawkins decision - obviously the wrong call

But one thing i will give that umpire a bit of credit for ( and i can understand a tiny degree why he paid it - re the lifting leg - T Greene ) is Hawkins swore - now if the umpire had of been Marghets or Chamberlain they would have got right into the theatre of it and given Hawkins 50 as well

To the umpires credit he didnt do that .
I was waiting for the 50 after I heard the "you can't fn pay that". Probably realised how stupid the decision was, and didn't want to make it worse.

I was waiting for the 50 after I heard the "you can't fn pay that". Probably realised how stupid the decision was, and didn't want to make it worse.
I think the offending word is not used as a personal descriptive nor as a personal noun. :)
IIRC in MLB that is the line for being ejected. Complain about the call but not the umpire personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back