Review Geelong defeats Ninthmond by 38 points at their home ground... twice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Too undersized... I'd like to see him repeat the effort against a Darcy Moore, or equivalent defender.

Im not a Sav sycophant but to me the test will be not so much if he can do it against a Moore ..but if he is such a threat that he draws the best defender like Moore even with Hawkins and Cameron in the side. There will always bee the odd match that does or doesnt suit. Wietering looks a good match up on Hawk yet id be happy for him to be entertained while Sav marks and goals etc.

I agree there will be harder tests than yesterday but it was an important step for him. He looked injured, it could have been a ..its not going to happen for me today thing...instead he came out and made it work. Huge game for his development. He had a very good day with conversion , even though I think most of his kicks were ones that he rode home and just got there

Neither Blicavs or O'Connor did much today, nor do they do much any day. And their mistakes make them a true liability, as was evident today with Blicavs brain fade that lead to a Richmond goal. Nobody has provided any argument or evidence to demonstrate how we would be worse if both of these players came out of the team.
Steven May had some crucial brain fades on Saturday night. A brain fade by Grimes cost Richmond a goal. I don’t hear Demons and Richmond supporters saying they should be dropped?

In our last 3 games at the MCG, our opponents have scored a combined 2 goals to half time:

Collingwood 0.7
Carlton 1.9
Richmond 1.4
But Chris Scott’s game plan blah blah blah….

I knew Esava could mark and compete like that but I was more pleasantly surprised by his vastly improved goal kicking technique.
It's hard to tell with only TV footage but it has looked to me that someone has been working with him on ball grip and the drop but I thought he reverted to what's natural for him yesterday with the hands more spread and more under the ball I used to say like holding a basket ball so I guess it's what ever works best for him.

It's hard to tell with only TV footage but it has looked to me that someone has been working with him on ball grip and the drop but I thought he reverted to what's natural for him yesterday with the hands more spread and more under the ball I used to say like holding a basket ball so I guess it's what ever works best for him.

He looked a bit more comfortable this week. I still wouldn’t be adverse to handing it off to Cameron for a left foot snap in the third quarter of a grand final.

I wouldn’t be calling this a turning point in the trajectory of Ratugolea’s kicking just yet. He kicked 3.0 in a semi final remember. We are likely to get some 0.4 games in future too.

Cameron and Hawkins are actually quite ordinary over a high ball and getting it to ground or plucking a pack mark. Esava offers something different.

Cameron could feast on those spillages he creates.

Tricky one for match committee.

I'm a fan, but I truly think in this whole equation it may even be Rohan that might get excluded?

I'm a fan, but I truly think in this whole equation it may even be Rohan that might get excluded?

If it comes to that then maybe Rohan will have to play small. Sav, Jez, Hawk playing tall and Rohan, Dahl, Close playing small. Miers on the bench maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rugby heritage?

Agreed. They have 4 very winnable games playing the bottom 2 + Freo without Fyfe, Walters and co. Their percentage is still above 100.

I feel they will still finish 8th and if we lost two of our last 4 games we are strong chance to be 5th.

As pathetic as they were the joke is that we could be playing an away elimination final against them with Houli, Prestia, MacIntosh, Vlaustin and Broad back.

That’s why handing back 2-4% was disappointing in junk time. We need to get that above Port and Brisbane. Brisbane certainly cashed in on junk time against the GC which hurt.
They have lost 5 of their last 6, including against powerhouses like collingwood and gold coast. And you think they can now win 4 straight?

The most important thing, if we are to play several tall forwards, is that they MUST separate. They need to work out a regime of dummy leads / playing further up the ground etc.

Most of our recent losses have seen pressure on the midfield and kicking long and high to packs, enable team defences to thwart our attacks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I knew Esava could mark and compete like that but I was more pleasantly surprised by his vastly improved goal kicking technique.
I think he's not getting cooked chasing contests. His more shocking kicks always seem to be late in games when he's tired. No substantial rucking for him really would have been a factor.

Yes, definitely.
I struggled with the drop punt it wasn't that we kicked as kids but can still kick a sizzling stab pass that Billy Goggin would be proud of when having a kick with the kids,my prefered grip for the drop punt was something Malcom Blight used with the fingers pointing to the footy laces you don't see many using that these days.

Just on Ratugolea's kicking, is there a chance that when he had his knee re-strapped that it may have helped his action a bit yesterday?

I don't recall him having a kick prior to going off & having it re-strapped or at least not a shot on goal for comparison to afterwards. I know he had his knee strapped at the start of the match, but it didn't look too be as "heavy" or to cover as much of the knee

Just wondering if the strapping may have helped in terms of limiting lateral/sideways movement, and that it helped him not only with kicking through the ball but also with his follow through

It's good to hear his been working on his goal kicking, and to see it come off

Just on Ratugolea's kicking, is there a chance that when he had his knee re-strapped that it may have helped his action a bit yesterday?

I don't recall him having a kick prior to going off & having it re-strapped or at least not a shot on goal for comparison to afterwards. I know he had his knee strapped at the start of the match, but it didn't look too be as "heavy" or to cover as much of the knee

Just wondering if the strapping may have helped in terms of limiting lateral/sideways movement, and that it helped him not only with kicking through the ball but also with his follow through

It's good to hear his been working on his goal kicking, and to see it come off

I think he actually finished the game with no strapping, but not sure when that occurred and whether it would have had an effect on his kicking.

You reaally do make some stupid comments. How can anyone say no excuses this year when we have 2 months of football left. Do you have a crystal ball showing you everything will be as it is right now for 2 months.

1. Would it be an excuse if Max Gawn played the greatest month of football by a ruckman ever and led them to a flag or would that still be completely unacceptable

2. What about if the Bont has a better GF than Dusty did last year and kicks 6 out of the middle would that be an excuse.

You would have to be insane to suggest that out of any possible eventuality nothing could happen to result in Geelong missing this years flag that doesn't have the potential to be an excuse. We aren't even top right now and none of those pundits you quoted have ever seen anything remotely like the absurd certainty you are claiming our flag chances are.

So please stop quoting people to back up your assertions that are completely different to what any of those people have said. It makes you look stupid at best or completely disingenuous.
You really are too negative. Gawn is AA ruckmen but Dees forward line is a mess. You think dogs can get it done with jamarra , weightman & Bruce up front? Stop being negative! Don’t give the cats an out with your catastrophic scenarios.
Bring some positivity to the discussion. Next you’ll be saying wooden spoon favorite kangaroos will touch us up this week because Goldstein will have his all time greatest game against us. Therefore it’s understandable that we lost!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back