Preview Geelong V Melbourne PF 2 Fri Sept 10 750pm @ the WAC OPTUS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cats V Demons.

Same as Rd 23.

Different outcome would be nice - this one os for a chance at all the marbles.

One change for sure - Parfitt out.

Whom comes in?

Should be a belter of a game.

No milestones this week either I dont think.

And Jack The Godfather is the reason this is open now - big sook lol

And it will be nice being the underdogs here. Too old, too slow - all the pressure on the minor premiers and looking to break their 50 year drought.

Really a case of youth and enthusiasm vs guile and experience. Who will have the tickets in the last to get home.

We will see.

GO Catters

Last edited by a moderator:
We probably lose, but the odds aren't as far in Melbourne's favour as a lot of people think. It'll be interesting to see our teams mentality in the first quarter. How much do they want it?

No reason not to go for broke here. This is the last roll of the dice for Selwood, Dangerfield, Hawkins and Duncan. Team will decline significantly next year.

I prefer it when preview threads are started after the game is done, saves on all the unnecessary melts from the regulars who would bust a nut to see Chris Scott fired.

As for the game, think we win this one. Demons have played two prelims in Perth and lost both by ~11 goals. So I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this will be the opposite of 2018, and in this elimination final we will slaughter those self-righteous w***ers that are still recovering from their 2 week snow season (something that Nadia knows all about).

We probably lose, but the odds aren't as far in Melbourne's favour as a lot of people think. It'll be interesting to see our teams mentality in the first quarter. How much do they want it?

No reason not to go for broke here. This is the last roll of the dice for Selwood, Dangerfield, Hawkins and Duncan. Team will decline significantly next year.

Hasn't that line been rolled out every year for the last decade or so?

As David King said on "The First Crack" last night, both teams have their assets it is just a matter of which one brings them better on the day.

I think this new forward structure with SavRat is actually working a treat. It means we can leave Blicavs down back to be our main tall defender and it takes the pressure off Henderson and Kolo in particular. Sav can be the second ruck for Stanley. And having Sav forward with TBone, Jezza, & Chucky means Lever or May can't play on a small and then just zone off to intercept. This should interfere with the Dees intercept plan in defense.

The question is who replaces Parfitt? One option is to move Duncan back into the midfield and bring in someone to play half-forward like Higgins or Narkle or Dalhaus (though, I hope not). Duncan has been back a couple of weeks now and should be ready to go back to the midfield.

Overall it should be a good game and both sides are capable of winning.

If the weather remains on schedule, a wet track, it greatly helps out Melbourne who have a brilliant quartet of mids and smalls.
Big test for Hawkins in this one. No more excuses being the sole target up there. Kicked 5 against Taylor on the weekend, needs another bag of 4 for us to have any chance whatsoever.
GWS were as depleted as any finals team in recent times and we were hardly convincing.

Melbourne by 27 points.
They probably clog it up in the last quarter and set their eyes on a first grand final appearance in over 20 years.

Im very keen on Geelongs chances

I really liked Frid nights win - loved the pressure applied all over the ground - Guthrie and Miers were 2 standouts in that actually . I like the fact that we played the game at Optus Frid night - and Melb havent

Over the journey - there are Geel wins - and there are Geel wins . Really rated Frid night - you contrast that to the 2nd win this year against Rich - even though it was a big win on the scoreboard - i didnt rate that win at all - 1st 12 minutes of 2nd qtr - Rich totally dominated - could have piled on 6-7 goals - booted a few out on the full as well - totally wasted it - Geel whip it up the other end - and kick 4 quick ones before h/t - you will take the win - but i dont think it is a good win - Friday night was totally opposite to that

As we saw in the 19PF - the team that has the week off can be rusty in the 1st half - and one of these games - Geel aernt going to kick 2-7 or 2-5 in 1st qtr -instead they wil kick 6 or 7 1st qtr goals - it will happen in a Geel game - and im hoping it happens this Frid night

I think we’re a massive chance, last time we played a full 4qtr effort was against Richmond, since then we’ve played a good quarter here and there or been playing catch up the whole game. The SF win against GWS was our best game for a while but still a mile off our best. Let’s hope we’re building. Go cats

(Log in to remove this ad.)

looking at it simply, a few things are non negotiable

1. stop lever and may intercepting, have a rule that the ball must not be intercepted at all means, and that if you are not able to mark it, then do everything you can to bring it to ground.
2. break even at the midfield battle. cannot get smashed and dominated for periods of time, must grind out an equal battle over four quarters.

do simply the above two things and we will go along way to winning.

The question is who replaces Parfitt? One option is to move Duncan back into the midfield and bring in someone to play half-forward like Higgins or Narkle or Dalhaus (though, I hope not). Duncan has been back a couple of weeks now and should be ready to go back to the midfield.

I'd be surprised if it was anyone other than Simpson or Higgins. Hopefully Simpson.

The funny thing is had we not blown that lead in the last round this is the exact same Prelim we likely would have played. Melbourne in Perth the only difference is we would be the “home” team.

If the weather remains on schedule, a wet track, it greatly helps out Melbourne who have a brilliant quartet of mids and smalls.
Big test for Hawkins in this one. No more excuses being the sole target up there. Kicked 5 against Taylor on the weekend, needs another bag of 4 for us to have any chance whatsoever.
GWS were as depleted as any finals team in recent times and we were hardly convincing.

Melbourne by 27 points.
They probably clog it up in the last quarter and set their eyes on a first grand final appearance in over 20 years.

I actually think a wet track helps us because it makes it harder for them to expose us for pace out the back and on the ground in our defence. I hope it buckets with rain personally because it advantages us imo.

I think we’re a massive chance, last time we played a full 4qtr effort was against Richmond, since then we’ve played a good quarter here and there or been playing catch up the whole game. The SF win against GWS was our best game for a while but still a mile off our best. Let’s hope we’re building. Go cats
Wasnt richmond up like 28 to 8 at qtr time? Not sure that qualifies as a four qtr effort. Or are you talking about the second geelong vs richmond game where we won by less but won all 4 qtrs?

edit - im guessing you meant the last game

Last edited:
looking at it simply, a few things are non negotiable

1. stop lever and may intercepting, have a rule that the ball must not be intercepted at all means, and that if you are not able to mark it, then do everything you can to bring it to ground.
2. break even at the midfield battle. cannot get smashed and dominated for periods of time, must grind out an equal battle over four quarters.

do simply the above two things and we will go along way to winning.
Geelong crazys non negotiable rules for winning:

do not lose

I actually think a wet track helps us because it makes it harder for them to expose us for pace out the back and on the ground in our defence. I hope it buckets with rain personally because it advantages us imo.
I was at the melbourne vs geelong game earlier in the year when it bucketed with rain. They smashed us. their defenders will cream our fowards in the wet and our fowards is the one area where we can expose them. But need it to be dry.

A blow out loss y/n ? or a grinding W for us. Are the players good enough to apply what the mc instruct us to box it in and get or take adv. We tend to rise in pre lims win or valiant losses. I love this club since 40 yrs ago #thehoops

We have the home ground advantage ha ha.

Melbourne have the better mid-field; we just have to face that. The collapse of our mid-field after half time is why the Tigers ran over us in the 2 finals and why the Dees did the same a fortnight ago. I'm hoping the selectors go for a young player to replace Parfitt (who has in any case been in great from). I'd be happy with Clark or Narkle, and to lesser extent Simpson. Holmes showed us the virtue of youth ( and let's get off his back about kicking).

Kolo won't hold Fritsch a second time round; in truth Kolo should be dropped - he was awful on Friday night - but we all know he won't be.

Melbourne also have classier defenders - another bitter truth.

But we can still win if we kick straight; if the fearsome threesome up forward get off the leash; if our mids can get a few decisive centre clearances; and if the Dees suffer an attack of nerves ( remember the 2007 PF?).

Basically will come down to the midfield battle and converting our opportunities. Don’t really rate their forwards but expect them to get more inside 50’s. If our forwards can score early I think we are some chance. We won’t blow a big lead if we get one like last time. Tend to think though that the D’s are primed. Had a charmed run with injury which is what you need to get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back