No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome**

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooooh, this oughta rustle some jimmies!

"It was how we managed people at the time. We had nobody on really big money and we stayed together for team success, we told those players to be loyal and that it would be reciprocated by the club, so they remained even when they might have extracted $250,000 a year more at another club."

Thompson says he is saddened to see his former stars finish their careers elsewhere, that it wouldn't happen at a club such as Hawthorn, and that the Cats risk repeating history, claiming when he arrived as coach at the end of 1999 the Cats' "former players were all at war with the club".

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...by-cats-changing-culture-20160727-gqf5kh.html

He makes a good point, those guys took unders to stick together in their primes and they won Scott a flag in his first year pretty much on talent alone. Then the minute a star is available or their form dips he kicks them out. I'm sure Johnson at least could have contributed and Chapman definitely had more left jn him. But they were shipped off instead of managed into other roles and then retired.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

He makes a good point, those guys took unders to stick together in their primes and they won Scott a flag in his first year pretty much on talent alone. Then the minute a star is available or their form dips he kicks them out. I'm sure Johnson at least could have contributed and Chapman definitely had more left jn him. But they were shipped off instead of managed into other roles and then retired.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
the other side of the coin is that Scott doesn't have the credits in the bank because the players delivered that flag to be sentimental and deal with some down years safely. Plus bomber is a nutter, not like GAJ was looked after well by him

I really don't know what else they could of done - I'm not going to lie and say it doesn't worry me that some of our boys may be going one year too long at the detriment of young blokes looking for opportunity who may look elsewhere. As much as I love them and am pleased they are still travelling well, it may bite the Hawks on the ass

I really thought that should not have been aired. Really don't like seeing airtime given, and follow up airtime on all the radio sports shows, to such outright rudeness. And although Foxtel and Sheehan will argue its in the public interest all they could see is the ratings and publicity it would generate. Shabby behaviour by all involved IMO.

The Jacko open Mike. Wow, steroids are bad mkay.

Some interesting comments though
Especially when you inject it directly into your brain.

Jacko is a dead set tool! Although I did enjoy his open hatred of MS and calling him a pubic hair but wishing he had cancer was too much

Especially when you inject it directly into your brain.

Jacko is a dead set tool! Although I did enjoy his open hatred of MS and calling him a pubic hair but wishing he had cancer was too much
Your sports Journalists like Sheehan and Robbo I would think wouldn't have great relationships with lots of players based on how they operate. Most people are not going to be petulant about it much as they understand it's part of the industry.

Jacko is a tinfoil hat nutter, there is a reason he was at 4 clubs, only played for 3 and didn't last more than two seasons anywhere.

Watching the 'he's just saying what we're all thinking' crowd celebrate Jacko was the most depressing bit. Hate this 'the game needs characters' shite. If I want characters I'll watch a movie, I watch football to see football.

My favourite part of the interview was at the 2:05 mark. Nakia and Jacko have some eerie similarities.

Mike - "You whacked 3 blokes that day."
Jacko - "Doesn't matter, they were lookin' at me. It doesn't matter. It's irrelevant."
Mike - "You don't blame Leigh Matthews for what YOU did."
Jacko - "I don't blame any of the blokes I hit. They all had it coming. It was Hawthorn."
Mike - "You introduced Leigh to this discussion. You were rubbed out for 8 weeks for this incident because you smacked Chris Langford twice, Gary Ayres and Chris Mew."
Jacko - "Yeah."
Mike - "Well what's that got to do with Leigh Matthews?"
Jacko - "Well, they were Hawthorn. Look at the colours. Please. The most boring team in the league. And without... WITHOUT the umpires help in the 80's, they wouldn't have gone anywhere, right. They got everything. I went 8 weeks without a free kick in the 80's."

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really don't know what else they could of done - I'm not going to lie and say it doesn't worry me that some of our boys may be going one year too long at the detriment of young blokes looking for opportunity who may look elsewhere. As much as I love them and am pleased they are still travelling well, it may bite the Hawks on the ass

It's the biggest conundrum we face: hang on to ageing players and try for one more premiership or start the rebuild by pushing players out.
Would you accept a 4th followed by a few mediocre years?

Premierships are damn hard to get, despite what our club has done recently. If there is a chance of winning another one, you have to go for it.

It's the biggest conundrum we face: hang on to ageing players and try for one more premiership or start the rebuild by pushing players out.
Would you accept a 4th followed by a few mediocre years?

Premierships are damn hard to get, despite what our club has done recently. If there is a chance of winning another one, you have to go for it.
Agreed make hay while the sun is shining. Our old blokes came 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th in the B&F that is not four blokes who have gone one year to many.

Obviously Gibbo, Mitch and Burgers would be up there again this year and Hodge when he has played has been in the top group on the field so they are all still contributing at a higher level than whoever would replace them.

This is the most pitiful, beta-male whinge I have read in a long time. "Oh, dear me! Skills at the edges make a difference for winning football! Just watch us take extra effort to the extreme and it will be horrible!"

There have been a couple crap article on The Roar lately. This one has made me remove them from my RSS feed. No time for beta-male posterior hurt in my day.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2016/07/28/dark-age-01-percenters-coming-afl/

My favourite part of the interview was at the 2:05 mark. Nakia and Jacko have some eerie similarities.

Mike - "You whacked 3 blokes that day."
Jacko - "Doesn't matter, they were lookin' at me. It doesn't matter. It's irrelevant."
Mike - "You don't blame Leigh Matthews for what YOU did."
Jacko - "I don't blame any of the blokes I hit. They all had it coming. It was Hawthorn."
Mike - "You introduced Leigh to this discussion. You were rubbed out for 8 weeks for this incident because you smacked Chris Langford twice, Gary Ayres and Chris Mew."
Jacko - "Yeah."
Mike - "Well what's that got to do with Leigh Matthews?"
Jacko - "Well, they were Hawthorn. Look at the colours. Please. The most boring team in the league. And without... WITHOUT the umpires help in the 80's, they wouldn't have gone anywhere, right. They got everything. I went 8 weeks without a free kick in the 80's."

The original #head*edbyhawthorn

This is the most pitiful, beta-male whinge I have read in a long time. "Oh, dear me! Skills at the edges make a difference for winning football! Just watch us take extra effort to the extreme and it will be horrible!"

There have been a couple crap article on The Roar lately. This one has made me remove them from my RSS feed. No time for beta-male posterior hurt in my day.

I don't read The Roar for the same reason as I don't watch Q&A - I have little time for stupid opinions to be forced upon me.

Its whinging about something that sort of already happens. Players have been creepy over the mark and going on a certain angle across it. Our layers are clearly coached to point to the mark so an umpire doesn't call them for 50. Not sure if players are coached to win free kicks but certainly individuals have identified reliable tactics. The author is being incredibly melodramatic. Seems to have a lot in common with Chicken Little.

I read it as a tongue in cheek piece.

Just watched parts of the interview. He's a sad man that guy. An unstable nutter.

Why does Sheehan keep denying the fact he is a Melbourne man. Is he too ashamed to admit it? Through a mutual friend, I was at a game at Waverley, and Mike was Melbourne mad. From memory they kicked 9about 9 goals in the first quarter, and it was game over.

As for Jacko, enough said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back